Couch to 5K - to infinity and beyond...

(1000 Posts)

A new thread for those of us who started in January 2012 and anyone starting now. Everyone welcome for support, encouragement and occasional arse kicking smile

Ezzza Fri 08-Feb-13 04:17:20

Week 2 run 1 done! And in the sleet too! Got a double whammy of sleet in the face, both falling from the sky and bouncing off my chest on the runs. Was a bit scared going up to week 2 but actually didn't find it too bad.

I think my body is accepting the punishment I'm giving it. Week 1 run 1 the face went purple within the first ten minutes. Today after the run it was more of a flushed pink colour. Legs have stopped complaining too. grin So far so good!

Chopstheduck Fri 08-Feb-13 06:08:42

well doen ezza!

dh left his on by accident, driving to the train station - burned over 1600 cals shockgrin

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Fri 08-Feb-13 20:26:53

Well done Ezzza. I realised today that I don't necessarily get quite so unbearably overheated and beetroot red when I run now - still hot and flushed, but not quite so extreme as I used to. Does this mean I am actually getting fit? shock

Really enjoyed my run this morning smile

pennygallops Sat 09-Feb-13 16:53:49

So did I cinnamon. Both my DS and I got new PBs at the parkrun, both of us got sub-30 times. smile

jchocchip Sat 09-Feb-13 17:11:07

Well done penny very respectable times. Missed my pb by 7 seconds this morning but it was my leaving do last night and beer and gin were involved. Friend stayed over and did her first parkrun and another friend and friend's brother did first parkruns today. Another friend from work did extra cool down lap with me and some of us stayed for coffee at end. Went for a gentle swim and sauna this pm and going to do very little for the rest of the day grin

pennygallops Sat 09-Feb-13 22:00:36

Thanks jchochip. Did your friends enjoy the parkrun? I ran the first lap with my DS, then at my own pace - I think I could go sub-29 soon. My DS is doing well for a 9 year old, but the best thing is doing something together and loving it.

jchocchip Sat 09-Feb-13 22:58:09

Yes it was really nice to see one friend who a while ago said he wouldn't run. He said he has promised to run with his ds for 4 weeks until ds gets his 10 t shirt smile It is a very social thing at my parkrun and I think it helps that I am v overweight and can challenge almost anyone to do it and beat me with no training blush

Don't think that way jchocchip you do fantastically! Shane on anyone who enters for that reason angry thanks

Weirdly there is a park run starting in the town 6 miles away 23rd feb and one in my town a 5 min run from my house on 9th march! My running club are doing an endurance day 23rd feb with an Olympian/Chicago marathon winner so I'm going there instead but definitely doing the one in march and my first 10k race on 17th march, eek!!

scarletsalt Sun 10-Feb-13 13:30:58

De lurking to post here. I have been doing Couch to 5k on the treadmill in the gym and have just finished week 3 (although I only did the week 1 run once and week 2 twice). Am already finding it easier to go a bit further.

However, yesterday I couldnt get to the gym so I decided to do my first ever run on the cycle paths around my town - it was the 3rd run of week 3. Oh my GOD it nearly killed me it was horrible! So much harder than on a treadmill, as it was so cold the cold air was going in my lungs and I felt like I was getting brain freeze (muse remember to wear a hat if I do another run outside!). What a wimp I am!

But I did it and it felt good afterwards. Although because I was so focused on my running that I didnt realise how far I had gone and forgot to turn around at any point, so had a really long walk back home - I suppose its all calories burnt though...

Am terrified of week 4 which I will be doing on wednesday (can only do it twice a week at the moment). I do body pump before and am upping my weights at that as well on wednesday as I cannot deny that it had just got a bit too easy last week, so I am going to hurt on thursday I think!

Well done to everyone at whatever stage you are at!

pennygallops Sun 10-Feb-13 13:42:19

jchochop you run, so you are a runner!

Well done scarletsalt and welcome. I never run on a treadmill - I have a strange phobia about gyms and not wanting to look out of place or not it the right trendy gear. I like stepping out of my front door and just running. Enjoy parkruns because it is social and welcomes all abilities.

BsshBossh Sun 10-Feb-13 22:47:45

Marking place.

Ezzza Mon 11-Feb-13 05:23:39

Ooh, well done to everyone doing or planning to do 5ks and 10ks. I hope I get that far!

I did w2r2 this morning in the drizzle. I'm refusing to allow myself to make any excuses not to go out at the moment. I think I must have managed to run a little faster today than I did last time because I seemed to get a little further around the track each time. I don't have any fancy gear to measure my progress so I'm contenting myself with counting how many times I get around the track and noting where I am at the end of the last run for now. I don't even have any running gear confused. I'm running in an ordinary bra, which although a good one (gossard) is not doing much to keep the girls under control because I've lost nearly 2 stone since I bought it. Instead of running shoes I'm having to use my not-really-meant-for-running flat shoes, which are fit for the bin really (China killed them). My 'running gear' is a t-shirt, hoodie and some summer trousers with the bottoms safety pinned up so I don't trip over them. Needless to say I look ridiculous and am glad there's hardly anyone around to see me! Never mind. I'll be home in 3 weeks and will be able to run in proper gear then.

frenchfancy Mon 11-Feb-13 06:37:20

Well done Ezza. Can you really not get hold of any running shoes? I ran in non running shoes to start with and ended up with heel pain. I still don't have expensive ones now but it is much better.

Chopstheduck Mon 11-Feb-13 07:29:58

well done ezza and jchocchip.

I really want to do the parkrun, I just need to get a little bit fitter first. The times on ours vary between sub 20 to 50s, but it still looks a bit scary just how many more sub 20s there are!

Thinking about trying for my second 5k today, but I have a sore ankle. I did 3k on fri, and then sat I went out with one of my twins. He is 7, and recently qualified for the school cross country team. He kicked my arse!! grin We were doing 5 minute walks and then 1k sprints. He is gonna be my new personal trainer! grin

Ezzza Mon 11-Feb-13 09:35:13

Nope, frenchfancy I really cannot get hold of any running shoes. I've looked into it, but it's spring festival at the moment so the only shops open are big foreign chain food shops, a few supermarkets and a few fashion clothing shops, so I'd have to wait until next week to try and find some running shoes anyway.

It's not like the UK where you can pick up a pair of OK runners in Tesco. What look like running shoes in the supermarkets and fashion clothing shops are very cheap quality (I used to think 'made in China' meant not that great quality, but now I know 'made and sold in China' is much worse) and are not really meant for sport. I tried a pair on and they were awful. My ready-for-the-bin shoes provide more support and cushioning than the things I tried on in the supermarket, plus my feet slopped about in the supermarket shoes because they were too wide.

I'd need to find a proper sports shop but I've no idea where to find one. I've not seen one in the over 5 months I've been here. That doesn't mean there aren't any, just means I have no clue where to look. China is pretty backward so it's not a simple matter of just googling it. (It's as easy to google where places are here as it was to google places in the UK in the 90s. Plus google often gets blocked here anyway.) If I did get a pair I'd only be able to use them for a couple of weeks before I come home anyway. I'm already having to decide which of my belongings to throw away and which to take home because of the weight limits for luggage when flying. A heavy item like runners wouldn't make the cut.

This is all moot though really as I have about 600 yuan (about £60) left to live on for the next 19 days so I probably couldn't even stretch to a cheap pair while I'm out here. Most places don't take foreign plastic.

Ooh, sorry that's not meant to be a rant or anything. confused I've just been finding myself increasingly irritated by how limiting it is to live in China. Especially when I know that if I'd been home I'd've just nipped out to Tesco to pick up a cheap pair to get me started and then, having googled running shops I would have gone into them to have a look and try on a few pairs then spent hours anally careful researching which type of shoe is best for me and trying to find the best pair I could afford online.

That said, I have spent the last 4 hours having a look at various running sites and sports clothing websites to find a half decent pair that are right for me to get sent to my home address so that I can sling my had-it shoes before flying home and have a nice shiny new pair of proper runners to use for my first run in the UK. grin Finding the process a little daunting and scary actually. confused

So far I haven't had any pain from running in my non-runners. Hopefully I'll be ok for my 7 remaining runs in China. The only other option is not to run, but I know if I do that I won't start up again when I get home.

frenchfancy Mon 11-Feb-13 11:59:58

It sounds like it is worse than rural France! I'm sure you are better running in what you have than not running. I dearn't stop now as I now it would be too difficult to start again.

Ezzza Mon 11-Feb-13 12:29:50

Ha ha! Definitely worse than France. grin I lived in Pont l'Abbé (not sure how rural that is compared to where you are though) for 8 months about 12 years ago but I'm pretty sure I'd've been able to find a pair of runners even then. Although I concede there was less of a language barrier then than I have now. I was near enough fluent in French but my Chinese is sort of upper elementary to lower intermediate.

BsshBossh Mon 11-Feb-13 16:42:37

Hello. Just jogged ran my first (in 1.5 years that is) Couch to 5k today on the treadmill (to spare my weak knees). It was fab. I was quite exhilerated by it. I walked the walk bits at 6.5kph and ran the run bits at 8kph. Will try it again on Wednesday. I'm using the Get Running app with my own music. My jogging bottoms kept riding down on the run bits so will have to tighten them for the next run grin

GoingBackToSchool Mon 11-Feb-13 17:19:31

Just done the week 2 run for the first time. My sister suggested I start with week 2 as I do other exercise during the week (dancing/cycling) so am quite fit.
Saying this, my chest is killing me! Legs are fine really, but my chest/abs area hurt so much!! Did anyone else find this? How can I change this or will it just get better with time?

Woo hoo, did pb for 5k at running club tonight 27m 17s grin

pennygallops Mon 11-Feb-13 20:51:52

Woo hoo in deed cinnamon that is some running!!

I did 10k again yesterday, but it was a bit slower (different course) - 1hr 4mins.

All newbies - it does get easier, quickly!!

Chopstheduck Tue 12-Feb-13 07:01:29

GoingBackToSchool - maybe start with week 1? You can always skip bits later on if you find you can do more but I'd start with the basics. I've always cycled miles, but I still found running was hard work because of the impact. The first week was really hard, and then it got easier from that for me. I got to week 5 last week, and have now fired Laura! I've had various aches, but they've mostly passed.

ezza, I'm really surprised, considering how much stuff is made in China, can't believe how hard it is to actually get stuff there! At least it isn't for too much longer now.

Cinamon, that is fab, well done!! And Pennygallops! I also set a a new PB last night - 41mins 6 secs, LOL! grin I did a different route because I didn't get out until after dark, so needed street lights. But the bloody dropped kerbs! Up, and down, my knee is all swollen up again when I landed on it awkwardly, and it was really hard work.

GoingBackToSchool Tue 12-Feb-13 10:56:58

Chops, Week 1 might be a good start, I think my sister overestimated my ability haha! :D

Sorry GoingBackToSchool, totally missed your post! I ached after the first couple of runs but that was it. Perhaps you are running to fast? Take it steady in the beginning but if you managed week two then continue with week 2 I'd say, make sure you have a rest day smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.