Couch to 5K - to infinity and beyond...

(1000 Posts)

A new thread for those of us who started in January 2012 and anyone starting now. Everyone welcome for support, encouragement and occasional arse kicking smile

pennygallops Tue 05-Feb-13 07:40:45

Ouch battyfum that's not good. Rest it for a few days and see how it goes.

pennygallops Tue 05-Feb-13 07:48:03

And samuelwestsmistress now I have completed 10k my next plan is to get my times down. I'd like to do 5k in about 27 - 28 mins and 10k in 55mins. I am intending on doing one 10k a week, a park run (my speedy run) and then a couple of other runs in the week.

I would like to do The Great North Run (half marathon) next year and look out for other local 'races'. I've got the running bug - big style!

And thank you you have introduce me to another range of clothing - liking it! I like Sweaty Betty gear - pricey, but different. (I buy it the sale or ask for it as presents).

MegBusset Tue 05-Feb-13 13:30:46

I did think I would be happy just being able to do 5k, but since 5madthings talked me into doing the Bupa 10k I'm actually quite looking forward to a new challenge.

Hope it heals quickly battyfum!!

Missed your post somehow SamuelWestsMistress! I have entered a local 10K race in March and am considering a half marathon but it's not the ability but the time to train that puts me off.

I have the bug too pennygallops! It feels great to be running regularly and it makes me so much of a better person, less grumpy, more energy and I soooooo enjoy actually being out for a run whereas before I loved how I felt after but found the run itself hard. Now when I'm out I just start smiling because I'm running, totally surprised me just how much I love it!

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Tue 05-Feb-13 19:57:01

battyfum sad Hope it mends quickly.

I am still thinking in terms of 5K but increasing my speed. Maybe if I can consolidate that I will think about extending the distance. Maybe. I'm not sure I could ever manage 10K. OTOH, that's what I thought about 5K!

pennygallops Tue 05-Feb-13 21:10:12

Good evening ladies!
This why I love running ... tough day at work then busy with the family... out for a run for 32 mins. 5.7k later and I feel great. It was a good one tonight. Not all runs feel as good as I am doing them, but they all feel great afterwards!

servingwench Tue 05-Feb-13 21:39:47

Completed week 1 this evening...Yay! Hope week 2 isn't too much harder??

Ezzza Wed 06-Feb-13 05:35:23

servingwench I finish week one today too! I’m also hoping week 2 isn’t too bad. I did manage to run (read: just about make sure feet both off the floor at the same time) all the running bits, but I do remember asking Laura if it was time to stop yet on both of the last two running bits today. blush

cinnamongreyhound I hope I get that feeling at some point, I’m still at the looking-forward-to-feeling-good-afterwards stage, which I always do so that’s enough to keep me going for now. grin

jchocchip Wed 06-Feb-13 06:10:54

Marking place. Really should go out for a run today...

Chopstheduck Wed 06-Feb-13 06:52:23

I hated Laura on the first week. Something at the end of the tape along the lines of 'You've done really well, that deserves a....<<wine, wine, WINE! or Chocolate!>>...pat on the back. <<thud>> Bugger off Laura!

For me, the further I have come, the easier it has got. I actually increased speed last time from 6mph to 7mph which I was really pleased about, as I didn't expect to be doing that yet. I was comfortable and happy and realised I could go faster.

I'm trying to suss out my route today, its wk 5 run 3, so a straight 20 minute run. Which is fine, i can do that, but most of my runs have started with a couple of small hills or one very huge one and then rest before running again, and I'm not sure to go into the 20 minutes with that! I may just keep running in the opposite direction and avoid the hills, though I will end up 3 miles from home - I could get a bus back grin

Chopstheduck Wed 06-Feb-13 06:53:59

Oh, and a quick question, does anyone run on treadmills? I'm off to Montréal during half term, and don't want to let things slip. I have a feeling it is too cold and too snowy to go out, but there is a gym. Just never really ran on treadmills before and not sure if I can do it!

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Wed 06-Feb-13 07:48:31

Ezzza, I'm still at the looking-forward-to-feeling-good-afterwards stage too!

Ezzza Wed 06-Feb-13 08:00:03

Hee hee hee grin

frenchfancy Wed 06-Feb-13 08:13:46

I think that feeling hit me about the end of week 3. By Wk4 r2 (ie Monday) I felt like I'd taken a happy pill. Hoping I get the same feeling today.

5madthings Wed 06-Feb-13 08:30:36

I am doing couch210k and am on week one, fine so far, I actually enjoyed it. Did a kick boxing DVD last night and will run again tonight. smile

SamuelWestsMistress Wed 06-Feb-13 10:15:00

pennygallops that's fast! I can't imagine ever being able to do a 10km under and hour and 15 never mind an hour. Good luck with it though, you seem very determined and I bet you make the time gloriously!

cinnamongreyhound I was looking ahead at the training for a half marathon on a similar app to what I've been using. It definitely looks a fair bit more challenging time wise. I am hoping that when the summer comes the light mornings and evenings will make this a bit easier!

Just this second had my delivery of some new gear from the postie! SO EXCITING! I'm off on a run along the beach later. Have been doing a lot of hills the last few weeks and think I need some flatness. It's freezing and snowing but I'm not letting that stop me!

Chopstheduck Wed 06-Feb-13 12:16:54

I DID IT!!!!!!!!

5k in 42 minutes! grin

I was using runtastic at the same time as the podcast, and it somehow jogged after the 10 minute thing from Laura onto my music instead, didn't realise at first, so I was running along wondering how much further I had to go! I finally twigged when a track came on with swearing in it! Then I just didn't want to stop!

EmmoEmmoAllTheGang Wed 06-Feb-13 14:30:32

Hi Chopstheduck,
Im doing it on the treadmill. I use the app on my phone and change the speed as I need it.

I used a treadmill a long time ago, you can adjust speed and it's just the same really. Just run smile Well done on the 5k Chopstheduck!

pennygallops Wed 06-Feb-13 20:37:38

Well done chopstheduck! Now you have done 5k in 42, you'll want to do it in 41, then 40 etc. Or you'll want to see if you can do 6k or 7k.

samuelwestsmistress I have the advantage that I am 5'6" (and a half) and weigh around 9st 3lbs (haven't lost any since starting c25k). I used to run quite a bit (played hockey and netball). I was already reasonably fit when I started c25k - swam, cycled, long walks etc.
Some days I just like to push myself and see how fast I can go. Yesterday I had some stress so run off!
Hills also slow you down so just keep going - one week at a time, your pace will increase.

Chopstheduck Thu 07-Feb-13 06:04:46

My eventual aim is that I'd love to get my time under 30 minutes. Then maybe see about distance grin

Hills are probably my big problem. I can only go so far without hitting some steep hills and slowing me right down. Do parkruns tend to be flat, does anyone know?

I'm thinking of running around virginia water, which is flatter, I could drive there. Though I think it is 7k, I could walk the other 2k as a warm up and down. For now I'm planning to stick to a couple of shorter runs and one long run each week to avoid injury from doing too much too soon. THough I am surprised that apart from a slightly sore ankle I feel fine this morning!

pennygallops Thu 07-Feb-13 09:14:17

My local parkrun is pretty flat and we'll be able to cycle there when the weather improves. There are 2 more about 15mins drive away, and further 2 about 25mins drive away. I know 3 or the 4 parks and they are all flat. So a bit spoilt for choice really.

I have used my GPS watch (Garmin Forerunner) to increase my pace and distance. (Check my calorie burn and sometimes heart rate). I love it!!! Recommend it.

Chopstheduck Thu 07-Feb-13 09:30:42

I'd love a garmin - kept hankering after one for cycling - (last time i got fit, it was mainly cycling). I am going to get the upgrade for runtastic though, and hoping that will do the job instead. I'd quite like to ditch Laura soon and be able to use my own music so i could do with the voice cues.

I might try inputting some routes into gmap pedometer see if i can find some flat circuits and check out the park runs.

Funnily enough having never heard of garmin I saw one today in tesco smile I have a polar FT4 hrm which I love!

pennygallops Thu 07-Feb-13 22:17:04

Think they do pretty much the same thing.
I don't use my Heart Rate Monitor that much - not quite sure how to 'read' the stats.
I just use the distance, time and pace.
Thinking about wearing it for work some time to see how many calories I burn in a day!

This thread is not accepting new messages.