Couch to 5K - to infinity and beyond...

(1000 Posts)

A new thread for those of us who started in January 2012 and anyone starting now. Everyone welcome for support, encouragement and occasional arse kicking smile

shithappensx1000 Tue 29-Jan-13 20:43:53

Yeah the snow has gone! So good to read that lots of you are out there running. It was a bit windy here tonight but not too bad. It was just lovely to be out there and not having to dodge the icy patches. Managed 5.5k in 34mins. Really trying to build up pace and distance.
I agree with the others - hills get easier. I have a few different run routes, all take in hills of varying sizes.
Happy running everyone!

Definitely helped my sleep generally smile

shithappensx1000 Tue 29-Jan-13 20:46:31

Running just makes me feel good - sleeping better, sense of achievement, feel fitter and I have definitely toned up.

MegBusset Wed 30-Jan-13 13:31:44

Woo managed 5k today after Shredding yesterday. Lovely and sunny out there smile

Chopstheduck Wed 30-Jan-13 13:47:30

I found it hard going today, but I did it! Very windy here too, and lots of big puddles on my nice offroad bit.

Just realised I missed your post shithappensx1000, sorry! 5.5K in 34 mins is good going smile

Well done MegBusset and Chopstheduck, it's lovely here but windy. Wishing I could go now instead of having to wait until after it's dark.

SamuelWestsMistress Wed 30-Jan-13 16:54:48

I was out again today. I can't stop myself this week! I'm on the end of week 4. I have a loop around where I luve, but there is an extra mile on it after the work out finishes. Last few days I've just not been able to resist running it all the way back to the finish. It is downhill a bit bit I feel so great doing it. Finding it hard to have rest days at the moment!

No idea how much weight I've lost as I'm not really too bothered about it at the moment, but I have definitely noticed that I'm starting to tone up.

It really is incredible how your body gets into it. The distances seem so daunting to start with when you look further down the routine (I'm following a 10km) but it really is mind over matter.

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Wed 30-Jan-13 20:16:11

it certainly is amazing samuel - I would never have believed I could do this. Mind you, it was hard work today as it was blowing a hooley - I thought I would lose my headphones at one point!

jchocchip Wed 30-Jan-13 21:03:01

Glad to hear you have all been out in the wind! I've ordered new trainers today and hope they are the right size, amazon's chart doesn't seem to be the same as the sizes in my old ones. Ordered same model name but they seem a bit different. Pain that the shop by work that seemed to know what they were doing has shut down...

Sounds like you're doing great SamuelWestsMistress, its definitely addictive!

Been to running club again tonight, don't usually go twice in one week as t means dh has to do tea and I feel guilty! It's the harder group and we did interval training, total of 9.25Km in two cycles of varying speeds plus and jog to and from training. Very windy here too!!!

Chopstheduck Thu 31-Jan-13 05:59:14

that is fantastic, cinnamon!

My knee is a bit swollen but not as painful. It's getting a bit annoying now though. I've lost a total of at least 18lbs or so though since first starting so hopefully as I continue to lose weight it will be less stress on it!

shithappensx1000 Thu 31-Jan-13 21:41:51

Thanks cinnamon. I trying to increase my pace. And well done yourself - 9.25k is going some. I hoping to get a long run in on Sunday (child-free day).

frenchfancy Fri 01-Feb-13 06:24:12

Managed to get out yesterday for the first time in over 2 weeks. First snow then flu have stopped me. I had finished week 3 but decided to do it again as I thought it would be difficult to get back into it. I had to really force myself to go, I really didn't want to. And do you know what? It wasn't difficult. I actually enjoyed it smile. I'm going to start wk 4 tomorrow.

Chopstheduck Fri 01-Feb-13 07:05:55

That's great, frenchfancy. I'm finishing week 4 today, and hoping it is easier than the last attempt at it. Though I did run up the school yesterday (was late!) , and that was fine!

battyfum Fri 01-Feb-13 07:09:03

I am back on it tonight. Was meant to be yesterday, but all day yesterday I was vomiting and had pain in my stomach. Think I must of ate something dodgy, but hopefully will be ok today as I don't want to put it off for too long.

Well done everyone on getting out in that wind!

Ezzza Fri 01-Feb-13 09:05:42

Oh good grief! I'm so unfit!

I've lost 24lb so far doing IF and have been thinking for a while I should add in some exercise too. I kept hearing about people doing C25K on the 5:2 thread and decided to investigate it this morning after I found this thread. After doing some reading on the NHS website and finding the free downloads on iTunes I thought I'd give it a go. Well I either do things straight away or put them off so long that I end up not doing them at all so I downloaded week one and went out and had a go.

I'm so exercise alergic I couldn't think of anywhere to go to run until I saw the public running track I walk past at least twice a day! Silly me. I've no idea if I'll keep it up, but I like that it's structured. If I were going to try to take up running on my own I would definitely have expected more of myself than the podcast does but I would also have given up after just 5 minutes or so and never tried again. I'm still not sure if I'll do it again. If I do, Mon, Wed, Fri will be best. Depends whether when Monday comes around my memory of the run is of feeling good about successfully completing the podcast or of barely making it up the stairs in my building afterwards!

Might have a bit of a read of this thread now.

Chopstheduck Fri 01-Feb-13 09:11:21

Ezzza, I found the very first run a killer too! It's the only one where I collapsed back through my front door without even managing the warm down 5 minutes afterwards. It DOES get easier, I promise.

Chopstheduck Fri 01-Feb-13 09:12:16

I'm looking otu the window waiting for it to stop raining, then I will be out like a shot. DT1 is full of cold and I'm half expecting a call from the school to pick him up early, and I need to run first!

Ezzza Fri 01-Feb-13 10:03:22

grin Thanks Chopstheduck! That does make me feel a bit better. This thread seems to be getting me to think running can be fun (my whole life I have maintained "fun-run" to be oxymoronic), and I like the idea of being able to run. Maybe I should keep reading and hopefully I do it again on Monday. Might have to get in some bananas though. I don't usually like bananas but as soon as Laura said 'banana' I was straight to the fruit stall outside my building. Bought three 'for the weekend' and scoffed the lot.

Chopstheduck Fri 01-Feb-13 10:09:32

I felt the same too, never saw myself actually running for fun but this has really worked for me and I am loving it. I am getting grumpier by the minute as it won't stop raining. I would just go and run in the rain, but since it is supposed to stop soon, it seems a bit pointless to get all wet for the sake of it.

Chopstheduck Fri 01-Feb-13 13:10:05

wohoo week 4 completed! And it was a lot easier than last time, thank goodness, plus I ran for 5 minutes up the big, big hill!

MegBusset Fri 01-Feb-13 14:35:17

I've downloaded the C210k app and tomorrow will be my first 10k training run - I plan to stick with a couple of 5ks during the week then increase my time at the weekend. First run is 10 mins running, a minute walking, four times.

5madthings Fri 01-Feb-13 14:45:08

Which cto10k app did you get meg I had a look but dome didn't have good reviews.

I have had a few walk/jogs but today am staying home close to the toilet tmi!

SamuelWestsMistress Fri 01-Feb-13 16:05:29

Well that is me finished week 4. I added another non stop run at the end of the work out back to the car and pushed on a bit and got a much better time! I'm gagging for this its just so addictive, anyone else finding that?

I have to go and pick my car up tomorrow from the village which is 4.5km away so I'm going to repeat today I think rather than push on. I like to start my weeks on a Monday so will have Sunday off.

I doubt I've lost any weight yet, but I'm doing this more for the fun of it tan actually as a weight loss plan. I'm about a size 14 and a half! If I can get to a size 14 for the summer then that would be great, but I'm not holding out too much hope!

Chopstheduck Fri 01-Feb-13 16:34:12

well done, SamuelWestsMistress!

I add extras onto the end too, love it. I do worry about doing two days on the trot though, cos of all the warnings not to, and when I googled it said that your muscles need the day to recover and progress won't happen without it.

I sometimes would love to go out more, anyone know if those days off really are important?

This thread is not accepting new messages.