Couch to 5K - to infinity and beyond...

(1000 Posts)

A new thread for those of us who started in January 2012 and anyone starting now. Everyone welcome for support, encouragement and occasional arse kicking smile

LilyPickle Wed 11-Jul-12 22:59:01

I'm sneaking back in as well.

I finally managed to do a 5min run yesterday. Left my phone at work so couldn't do it on the official app but ended up running two lots of 5 mins and 2 lots of 3. Not sure what I was supposed to be doing but am pretty pleased with myself as I was convinced I wasn't going to be able to do 5 mins once, let alone twice.

Still don't find it easy though and still not enjoying it! It will come, I guess.

Moln Thu 12-Jul-12 20:22:42

I'm the same as you LilyPickle - wouldn't if I will like it at any point (and certainly don't find it easy)

I missed a whole week through one thing or other - just went out tonight, I dropped back to week 6 (was week 7) because of the missed week

Took me a long time to enjoy it LilyPickle! Well done on gettingto the next stage.

Been out this evening, dh had the day off do took ds1 to gymnastics and I ran around my route and then to meet them. Another sub 30 min 5K, getting quite good at this now smile

rusmum Fri 13-Jul-12 22:00:57

Week 4 r 3 done, feeling the love again!!! gringrin and got a gadget!! Hrm watch! Tis cool x

nomorecake Fri 13-Jul-12 23:34:54

Ooo nice! So do you have to run at a particular speed to maximise your cal burn or something?

Still ill. sad sad sad

cece Fri 13-Jul-12 23:40:01

Yeah I found you all....

Been busy at work this week with end of term stuff so no time at home to mumsnet...

Had a week off but managed a short run on Weds - hoping to do another over the weekend!

My hrm has a zone that you're supposed to run in nomorecake which you set yourself. I looked on the Internet and exercising at 70-80% of your maximum heart rate is best for increasing cardiovascular fitness which is what I want to do but I was way over for most of my run!! I was over my mhr for a lot too if I take my mhr from the calculation online. I'm pretty sure that the higher your heart rate the more calories you burn though. Sorry to hear you're still poorly sad

Glad you managed a run cece, horrible when life takes over!

Fantastic run today! Did 6k in 35 mins, did another 2 mins running and was close to home so thought I'd better warm down. Could have carried on running without trouble for a while! Definitely better when I run on days I don't work.

brightonite Sat 14-Jul-12 16:59:39

Poor nomorecake sad hope you start to feel better soon. Cinnamongreyhound - I aspire to your running heights!

I have been out for a run this morning. Took the dc's with me and they moaned continuously ....note to self - just take NHS Laura next time ;)

Strangely enough am loving the weather...good for the very unfit like me as a cool down! I still have the attractive beetroot look - will that ever disappear?

melliebobs Sat 14-Jul-12 18:53:30

I just did week one session one this afternoon. I had DD 4 month ago by emsc and had complications afterwards so needless to say this afternoon I was bricking it. But managed no problems grin. Proud of me self

rusmum Sat 14-Jul-12 21:11:14

I wanted to work in fat burning zone no chance!! Was in fitness zone for most of it heart rate at about 165bpm. ?? Still learning but interesting C

melliebobs Sat 14-Jul-12 21:17:14

There's no such thing as a 'fat burning zone' that theory is very outdated. So whatever you want to do just go for it!

rusmum Sat 14-Jul-12 21:56:09

Thanks mellie! grin so spent ££££ on a Hirt for nothing lol, counts calories burned though grin

FunnysInLaJardin Sat 14-Jul-12 22:33:13

hello, been a few weeks, but checking in. Have been doing 30 min runs and trying to up my time. Last 2 runs I did 3.75k and 3.80k in 30 mins. Need to keep trying to up my pace, I'm a bit off 5K in 30 mins! Been running twice a week btw

FunnysInLaJardin Sat 14-Jul-12 22:34:17

cinnamon I'm envy!

rusmum Sun 15-Jul-12 12:34:27

Week 5 run 1 done!

Em3978 Sun 15-Jul-12 17:12:54

Hi again, I'm afraid after my good start i'm not doing so well; did W4r2 on holiday the other week, then just after I got back I mildly sprained my ankle, its not bothering me most of the time, but I can't trust it to run on, and it'll probably make it worse, or at least slow the healing. So I'm runless sad

nomorecake Mon 16-Jul-12 07:40:45

Cinnamon- that is a bloody amazing run!
Trailblazer!

cheekydino Mon 16-Jul-12 09:53:35

Hello everyone, can I join? Am really struggling with motivation as I hate running but it is the only exercise I have time for!

Just did week 2 run 2 last night after a two week break blush due to family staying (and too embarrassed to admit to people i'm exercising as am convinced I'm going to give up too easily!)

Has anyone else been a complete exercise hater and managed to succeed with keeping going?

brightonite Mon 16-Jul-12 10:26:08

Hi Cheekydino - I have just done w3r1 and am sitting here knackered but strangely proud of myself. I am an exercise hater, am overweight and a serial project starter and failer. I even struggled to do the first run of week one. However, something feels different at the moment and I have kept going with the running so far. Perhaps we could motivate each other!
Well done on getting to where you are - don't give up - we'll do this together. Keep reading the thread too as this has been a real motivator for me. People here are kind as well as supportive! X

Em3978 Mon 16-Jul-12 20:04:01

Finally done w4r3, over 2 weeks after starting w4. I even managed a 15 min exercise bike (very slow!) afterwards. I was in the gym, maybe thats cheating a bit, but its been pouring with rain here and I neeeeeeded a run!

Btw I've always been an exercise hater, even through school, which is why I was so unfit to start with.

rusmum Mon 16-Jul-12 20:39:25

W5 r 1 done again! Since I ran yesterday decided to do it again , will move on wed. It's so much harder outside!! wink I burner 75 more calories out than on treadmill on same run according to my heart rate monitor!!! Enjoyed it tonight, feeling the love again winkwinky

Purpleprickles Mon 16-Jul-12 23:10:48

Hi CheekyDino I'm an exercise hater and I never carry exercise routines on but tonight I have just completed W6r3 and I ran for 25mins. I still can't believe I did it now, it's the furthest I've run since doing cross country at the age of 13 many many years ago smile

I was about that speed when I finished FunnysInLaJardin and I've just pushed myself at points of the run where I felt ok, plus I think the activities from my running group help. But your are getting out there and running that's the main thing!

I had a spell of doing aerobics in my early twenties but otherwise have never done exercise Cheekydino and always looked at people running thinking they were mad! I started c25k in January so literally went out in all weathers and although some days I need a kick up the arse to get out I love it now. It makes me feel great when I've done it, it gives me time to empty my brain while I'm out and I'm a much happier, healthier person because of it. Keep going smile

Glad you managed to get out and your ankle is better Em3978!

You'll be back to 30 mins in no time rusmum grin

Went to my running group last night and we did lots of sprinting (well for me running a bit faster than normal!). My legs ached this morning but after walking the dog they are feeling better smile

WipsGlitter Tue 17-Jul-12 07:30:45

I've stalled. Got up to week seven and then the weather and holiday conspired to keep me inside. Want to go out tonight but am dreading it already. Have told DP to encourage me to do it.

This thread is not accepting new messages.