Couch to 5K - to infinity and beyond...

(1000 Posts)

A new thread for those of us who started in January 2012 and anyone starting now. Everyone welcome for support, encouragement and occasional arse kicking smile

Hoping to run tonight, planning to run to the rec and do a few laps round if it's too frosty to go on the pavements.

milkybrew Wed 16-Jan-13 17:03:18

jchocchip thanks for info on parkrun, there's one not to far from me so I look forward to trying that once I'm actually doing 5k.
I've not managed to run for a week now, a virus set my asthma off so wasn't up to it. Now I'm feeling better the pavements are too icy to run on safely. Feels like I'll never get there! Roll on spring!

shithappensx1000 Wed 16-Jan-13 21:13:22

Yeah, managed to get out for a rather chilly and snow covered run tonight. I took my son with me - at the moment he slows me down but he's good company.

Me too shithappensx1000, minus the son as mine were asleep when I went and with ice thrown in with the snow. Was -8C here last night wonder what tonight will bring!

shithappensx1000 Wed 16-Jan-13 23:11:40

Well done cinnamon. Were you slower than normal? I quite liked the stillness and atmosphere running in snow tonight. I think it was about -4C when we went out but we soon warmed up. Our faces were pretty cold. I run on paths and cycle paths in a leafy green suburb so the paths were compacted snow - not too bad at all. My son kept slowing down to scoop up snow to make snowballs - I suppose you are only young once.

Chopstheduck Thu 17-Jan-13 06:35:54

My dh runs with dt1 (7), dt1 is loving it. He's in cross country club after school and his times are improving now and he's been invited to attend time trials on Monday. At the weekend we went to Lilywhites and gave him some money to put towards the pocket money he saved up and he bought himself some proper little running shoes. He's madly into it all now!

I like the peace and escapism. DT2 has made noises about coming with me, but not happening! He's not really into running anyhow - he quit x country because he hated it. I will take him cycling once the weather warms up - he can do a good 10 mile circuit no problems.

I've been wondering about running in snow - so it IS doable then! We're expecting tons of the stuff from tomorrow. I should be starting week 3 on sat, but I think I will stick to week 2 and go carefully if it is bad.

frenchfancy Thu 17-Jan-13 06:45:52

Finished wk3 yesterday. Had to force myself to go out in the cold, but it was fine. Really starting to feel some progress. I'm not dreading wk4 (wk5 is a different matter)

shithappensx1000 Thu 17-Jan-13 07:43:56

So now I'm wondering - do we burn more calories running in the snow? My Forerunner GPS watch is saying 250 cals for my rather slow run last night with DS, but it was well below zero - is the body burning more to keep warm? And there is also the extra resistance of running in the snow (especially where it is deeper). My legs actually ache a little bit this morning - I think that is the snow as they very rarely ache.

Chopstheduck Thu 17-Jan-13 07:48:26

I think it must do, surely. Does your gps have settings for different terrain? I'm using runtastic and I think there is an option for different types.

Last year I ran in lots of snow Chopstheduck, depends on the surface. I try to aim for not too thick so enough footfall to have flattened a bit but not so much that it's slick! Very hard going if it's thick and feet get cold and wet very quickly sad

I ran mostly on the road as it was very quiet shithappensx1000 but definitely slower on the paths! If it's thick snow you must burn more and maybe a bit more for greater heat loss. My hrm gives varying calories each time anyway but not massively different.

Chopstheduck Fri 18-Jan-13 06:46:40

Good to know it is doable! I was wondering about the heat loss too - was absolutely freezing yesterday and snowing lightly. I really can't face wearing a jacket though, so just had base layer,tshirt, bottoms then hat and gloves! Took a little while to warm up properly.

I kept my jumper on for whole run Weds, very unusual for me!

MegBusset Fri 18-Jan-13 17:45:01

I haven't run this week - we've had thick snow since Monday (Norfolk) and the paths where I run are treacherous. Have been keeping warm and polishing off the Christmas snacks instead.

Back out next week hopefully when it's thawed. I have just signed up for the Bupa 10k with the Woolly Hugs team <erk>

I'm on the Norfolk Suffolk boarder MegBusset we may be close by smile. I'm doing a mud and mayhem 10k in Santon Downham in March, dh is marshalling so I can enter for free. Very excited! Our training was cancelled Monday but I ran Wednesday, mostly on the road as they were pretty clear. Fingers crossed we don't have too much tonight so I can go tomorrow!

Debs75 Fri 18-Jan-13 23:02:31

I'm not sure I could run in the snow. I was frozen to the core on Thursday,(-8) A bit warmer today but huge amounts of snow have now fallen so will be pretty deep tomorrow.
A group of us have decided to do race for life so I better start soon if I want ot be able to finish it.

5madthings Fri 18-Jan-13 23:11:50

Waves at meg I am running the bupa 10k with her! So need to start training and the couch25k threads seem a good place yo start.

I just need the snow to melt tho.

shithappensx1000 Sat 19-Jan-13 13:01:29

Well, my local parkrun when ahead this morning. The park was beautifully covered in about 4 inches of snow. It snowed whilst we were running. Magical! I just wish I'd discovered this running lark years ago...

battyfum Sat 19-Jan-13 14:43:45

I now am fully equipped to start running, and I have downloaded and added the podcasts to my phone ready to start on Monday grin

Excited, but nervous. Especially with this weather. Any tips for running in the snow/ice/slush?

5madthings Sat 19-Jan-13 14:46:30

I have downloaded them as well, we have lots of snow though so am waiting for a bit of a thaw!

Chopstheduck Sat 19-Jan-13 16:25:46

I ran in the snow this morning! I have trail running trainers, so quite good grip, and it wasn't as slippery as I thought it might be, but heavy going, was very tiring. Fun though!

I went today and it was fine, we did our usual 6 miles and it was very peaceful. Only 7 of us but nice anyway smile

Glad to hear it's not just me shithappensx1000 and Chopstheduck!

jchocchip Sun 20-Jan-13 07:37:20

My parkrun went ahead yesterday but my bus didn't come and I ended up starting late! Put in a pw time 10 mins slower than last week. Some due to late start some due to snow. Tail runner waited for me to catch him up do did have company. Marshalls wrre having snowball fight by time I finished...

jchocchip Sun 20-Jan-13 07:42:05

As I was late did not strip off jumper and (too big) jogging bottoms. But glad of the warmth. Serious runners at front in shorts and vests as usual, but were wearing hats and gloves smile

frenchfancy Sun 20-Jan-13 08:39:54

I was supposed to start WK4 on Friday but couldn't due to the weather. Now the weather is a bit better but I've got a stomach bug sad . I think I might have to do wk3 again at this rate.

This thread is not accepting new messages.