Couch to 5K - to infinity and beyond...

(1000 Posts)

A new thread for those of us who started in January 2012 and anyone starting now. Everyone welcome for support, encouragement and occasional arse kicking smile

yehudiwho Sat 12-Jan-13 18:07:39

its great- play your own music or listen to the radio and gives you time and distance cues. I have it on 5 mins and miles as I need constant encouragement- then it loads to internet where you can put in weight and distance goals

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Sat 12-Jan-13 18:58:42

I've been using Robert Ullrey's podcasts, I suppose they're no different to listening to music so I hope it's compatible with them! Will give it a go and report back...

jchocchip Sat 12-Jan-13 20:04:10

Did 5k parkrun this morning and got first pb on my home course since July! really happy. Have committed to knock another 3.5 minutes off this year so need to train this week - have the nhs c25k+ podcasts and will try them again.

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Sat 12-Jan-13 20:19:16

Woohoo, well done jchocchip! grin That's wonderful. I have been googling local park runs but not attempted any yet... keep telling myself I will. Though there isn't one very near me so it would be a bit of an early start!

Chopstheduck Sun 13-Jan-13 07:43:28

I'm using old trainers, could really do with forking out. I think if I manage to graduate I will treat myself to a pair of proper shoes. I have hypermobile knees, so have to be careful really - I've had a few twinges so far, but nothing too bad yet. Should be starting week 2 today, but dh wants me to go with him, and he is still on week 1, so will try week 2 on tues.

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Sun 13-Jan-13 13:51:24

Chops, if you can go to a running shop where they analyse your gait they should be able to find you a pair of shoes that will help you not damage your knees... I found it a bit weird running on a treadmill (which I've never done before!) while they videoed my feet, with fit thin people on either side envy, but the shop staff were really helpful in finding me a good pair of shoes.

Just struggled out for W8D3 this morning since yehudi told me off yesterday - reckon I managed 2.7 miles or 4.4 km, so maybe the 5K is in sight grin.

Debs75 Sun 13-Jan-13 16:19:41

Hi I really want to start doing the Couuch25K but I need new trainers. Can anyone recommend some really good running shoes which are not to dear?
I tended to live in trainers last year but they were the casual type not the running ones. And the are knackered now.
I did get some Skechers Shape-up trainers which I use for walking the 4 mile trip to college and back twice a week but not sur if they are goiod for running in.

I have these Debs75 and paid £45 from amazon for them don't know if you consider that too expensive. I love them but I did go and look up which trainers best suited me on runners world and something on YouTube which suggested putting your wet foot on paper to see if you are an under or over pronater.

Well done SarahWithAFringOnTop!!

battyfum Sun 13-Jan-13 21:15:51

Hi all, another newbie here. I shall be starting the C25K pretty soon, and I am rather nervous. I have never been much of a runner, and can barely get to the end of the road without feeling like my chest is being crushed and I can't breathe but I am fed up of it being that way so I am doing something about it.

Downloaded all the podcasts, got myself some new running shoes, and I am just awaiting to get some decent sports bras (which I will get this week on payday!) and then I shall be joining you all!

I am 15st 4lbs, and now an ex smoker, so think that at first I may struggle because of these facts. I currently am coughing a lot, but I won't let it stop me! Hoping with some healthy eating, I will hopefully shed the weight and be much healthier in the end.

Reading your stories has definitely given me the motivation to do it and succeed too. Well done to you all!

Chopstheduck Sun 13-Jan-13 21:24:31

Battyfum, I was 16 stone 11 when I started c25k Monday blush

Did my first week 2 run today (been runing every other day) and really enjoyed it. And I now weigh 16 st 2lb grin

Will def look into some proper running shoes once I get w bit better at it. I have however today bought myself some trail shoes to be getting on with for now, cos I do a mix of on and off road.

jchocchip Sun 13-Jan-13 22:12:24

well done on the weight loss chops and glad you are enjoying the running. I did c25k last year - finished end of Feb and did a parkrun to prove I could do 5k. I may have mentioned that I'm still running and did my 28th parkrun yesterday! I'm a bit evangelical about my local parkrun and told someone on friday at work when he said he wasn't a runner that he could walk it faster than I can jog it. And he did. grin

battyfum Sun 13-Jan-13 22:35:24

Well done Chops, how did you find the first week? Nervous is an understatement lol.

Can't wait to get started though grin

That is fabulous how well you are doing also jchoc, I am hoping to give myself new challenges after completing the C25K to keep me going, so will be putting myself up for runs. Eeek!!

Chopstheduck Mon 14-Jan-13 06:38:23

what is parkrun?

First week, very up and down really. First one, I thought feck this, I can't do this. Second one started off hard and got easier, and 3rd and 4th I've really enjoyed! I'm loving it now, and wish I could do it every day. I'm def not expecting to actually graduate in 9 weeks, but taking each day as it comes.

I did my first run just onroad, then switched to a mixture and I def enjoy that more. I feel happy when I make the turn onto the muddy trail and that keeps me going.

I was the kid who always walked most of cross country at school, so I can't believe I am doing it of my own volition and enjoying it!

jchocchip Mon 14-Jan-13 08:17:35

parkrun is free weekly 5k timed runs set up by volunteers. If you are lucky there will be one near you. Some take themselves more seriously than others - mine is a 3 lapper that welcomes prams and dogs with the slowest times of about an hour. You can get an idea from the latest results pages as to what sort of people tutn up...

Chopstheduck Mon 14-Jan-13 09:42:12

Ooh that does look interesting. I've found two near me, within a 20 minute drive or so, that might be something to aim for. Both have times of 20-45 mins. One looks a bit less scary and welcomes mums with buggies - thought I think it would be embarrassing to be overtaken by someone pushing a buggy grin.

I think it depends a lot on the area chopstheduck mine are all 45 mins away and I saw times of 20+ mins and chickened out when I finished te c25k. Now my fastest 5k is 27 min 20 so I know I wouldn't be last but I've started running further and so to travel a long way to do it seems a waste iyswim. I'm doing a local 10k in march but we should get a park run in my town by march which will be fab and I may do one then smile

Went out yesterday as my boys slept at my mums and dh went to work so I thought I'd take advantage. Did 1 1/2 miles with my dog then took her home and went out again to make a total of 4 miles. Was a lovely crisp bright morning here. Helped with the Pizza Hut we had later too!

yehudiwho Mon 14-Jan-13 16:22:06

well done all the new starters - and the weight loss is amazing. I was 13.5st last January when I started and am 13.5 st now - bloody bloody. I am a pig mind so that might explkain it. After restarting seriously in December my waist band is really loose so i think the flab is moving about if not disappearing.

My right knee is really sore - I got new shoes last week and completely blame them - clearly my over pronation was protecting my creaky knees. So laydees do I run (due to go out tonight) or do I rest it (I was limping today it hurt so much) the web seems to say 'its not too bad and all runners get it- rest it and it will be oK'

I would go but take it easy, if it doesn't ease after a few minutes of running then head home but probably too late now!

jchocchip Tue 15-Jan-13 08:00:06

Aargh! Icy here. Think today's run will be in the gym...

yehudiwho Tue 15-Jan-13 16:23:48

didnt go last night - knee really sore. think I'll rest it til the weekend and go on saturday gently gently

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Tue 15-Jan-13 17:42:41

Icy here too, not sure it would be sensible to run on slippery unlit pavements in the dark... slightly surprised to discover I am actually annoyed by this! There's no alternative like a gym round here so I guess I will have to wait for it to thaw - or at least until I can see where I'm running!

Yehudi, sorry about your knee. probably best to rest it though sad

rusmum Tue 15-Jan-13 21:17:48

Back on it (again!) just finished week 3!

Chopstheduck Wed 16-Jan-13 05:52:43

SarahWithAFringeOnTop - is there anywhere offroad you can run? I've noticed while the pavements seem icy, it doesn't seem cold enough yet for the mud on my offroad track to freeze yet.

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Wed 16-Jan-13 07:27:14

Chops, I wish there was! Stuck out in the sticks in a village, there aren't really any off road tracks around here, but I need somewhere with lighting as well as in the week I can only run after work so it's dark sad

Chopstheduck Wed 16-Jan-13 07:49:38

sad roll on summer! I'm a sahm so I go during the day, but I can't wait for the days to get a bit longer.

Was planning to cycle to town today, but it is so cold, I not sure I can be motivated. I'm sitting here in two pairs of socks and a scarf.

This thread is not accepting new messages.