Couch to 5K - to infinity and beyond...

(1000 Posts)

A new thread for those of us who started in January 2012 and anyone starting now. Everyone welcome for support, encouragement and occasional arse kicking smile

That's good news frenchfancy smile

Helensita Sat 05-Jan-13 21:36:16

What a fantastically inspiring thread. It has propelled me towards my old pair of running shoes (proper ones but last used Pre-babies five years ago!) I am determined to get fit again and lose the baby weight that's still clinging on after my last child (who's two!) Thanks everyone.

jchocchip Sat 05-Jan-13 22:47:36

welcome helensita you can do it smile

Knocked 2 seconds off my parkrun pb this morning - I'm still really slow, but this year I am going to get faster! Best thing was there were lots of photos and a video taken today and although I am 'big' I don't think I look overly fat in them (I know I am fat - but I am a lot smaller than I was when I was 3 stone bigger iyswim...)

weblette Mon 07-Jan-13 11:39:55

Well done jchocchip and cinnamon!
Nice to see you Helensita as my youngest is now 5 I really have no more excuses for not getting the weight off!
How's the heel frenchfancy? Any better?
W1R2 done today. Treating myself to some new headphones as the old ones fall out every two seconds...

Tunnocksteacakesrock Mon 07-Jan-13 12:08:39

I would like to try this but feel I am too old and unfit really. Has anyone started at my age(47) and been able to do it!

didimisssomething Mon 07-Jan-13 14:35:55

Tunnocks -my inlaws used the nhs c25k programme last year - they're mid 60's and never ran before - both completed it and still run!
Good luck!

Em3978 Mon 07-Jan-13 14:46:05

Tunnocks, I went for a run with my mum the other week, she's recently taken up zumba and has been running a bit, she's 63!

Em3978 Mon 07-Jan-13 14:47:58

Back to running (again) this week after too long a break for illness and injury.
I had a short run with my mum on Christmas Day but thats been about it for weeks sad
I've gone back (again) to week 7 and managed most of a 25 min run this morning. I'm shattered!

yehudiwho Mon 07-Jan-13 16:38:01

yo jchocchip ! well done on still running. I have just ordered my first proper running shoes- must be getting serious after a year. been out 3 times since new year doing 2.2 miles on last run and intend to go out again tonight - my goal is to lose 10 lbs by March and get to 3.1 miles which I believe is 5km by the end of jan - twil only be a year since starting but hey ho

frenchfancy Mon 07-Jan-13 16:43:40

tunnucks I'm not that much younger than you. Just take it slowly one week at a time.

weblette thanks for asking, my heel does seem a bit better, I did Wk2 R2 yesterday and today my legs hurt more than my foot. Mind you I did go riding in the morning so that might be responsible. I'm going to rest for 2 days then do R3 on Wednesday.

jchocchip Mon 07-Jan-13 19:55:56

Yey Yehudi you are doing well.

tunnocks I'm 46 and 18 stone and I did c25k in 9 weeks last year! Lost a couple of stone in the process and still really enjoying running very slowly but getting faster... Taking it slowly is the way to go, speed will come later (much later in my case, but I think it will only get easier as I get lighter!)

Looks like you have no excuse now tunnocksteacakesrock wink

Welcome back Em3978, you'll be at the end in no time smile

I was new shoes but the ones I fancy are £200 yehudiwho, so they're out until I win the lottery!!

Rafaella Tue 08-Jan-13 14:09:47

Tunnock I'm 50 and started running about 3yrs ago. Have taken it very slowly and only go twice a week, usually 5k park run plus longer midweek run, but took ages to get to this level. Absolutely love it and has changed my life. My advice is to listen to music unless you're doing podcast, to always vary where you run and to go at a speed you enjoy or you'll give up. I'm doing 10 mile race in a few weeks - fully expect to bring up the rear but hopefully there'll be a few other veterans to keep me company.

PearlieQueen Tue 08-Jan-13 19:05:11

So I've downloaded the runs, got the trainers and industrial strength sports bra and I'm determined to do this but.....I'm 20 stone (so far lost half a stone this year on healthy eating plan and hopefully the rest will follow!), not in the first flush of youth, am I completely mad? Is it possible? I'd really like to do the Race for Life this year but don't know if I'm biting off more than I can chew......advice/reassurance needed please!

frenchfancy Tue 08-Jan-13 20:33:10

No you are not mad, you are motivated. Just take it slowly, a week at a time (that is what I am telling myself). I'm not in a rush, so if I repeat a week because I'm not ready to advance so be it. I'll never be the fastest best runner, but I will be fitter than I am now.

yehudiwho Tue 08-Jan-13 21:07:03

pearlyqueen you should definitely just go for it. Stay on the thread, it was a real life line for me. You get nicely nagged if you start to flag. The podcast really works .

milkybrew Tue 08-Jan-13 21:22:23

Is it ok if I join in with you ladies...I need the motivation to get my backside out and running in the cold and dark!
This week I've restarted from week 5, I done run 1 twice, and run 2 once to ease myself in! Just dawned on me that run 3 is 20 mins running, no stopping! I was so pleased when I managed it last year,so hope I can do it again!

jchocchip Tue 08-Jan-13 23:58:56

perliequeen just follow the podcasts and remember it is a jog not a sprint. It is possible and you will feel great each time you finish a podcast!
If anyone is near a parkrun check it out. My local one has quite a crowd of walkers at the end and is very friendly. Some were started by running clubs and take themselves a bit seriously, but many include all abilities and very encouraging. I went and did my first parkrun because it is a 5k course and it was to prove to myself that I could run 5k.

Hi milkybrew well done at restarting - I've not been good with the dark runs but have a day off work booked tomorrow so hope to run in the light!

Em3978 Wed 09-Jan-13 16:51:37

Ah bad run today, same route as monday, just didn't get as far. too much walking uphill. Cold air (on asthmatic lungs) and too much lunch are to blame I think.

But hey, at least I got out!!!

Bad run should be followed by a great run Em3978!

Welcome PearlieQueen and milkybrew smile

Went to running club Monday and we did 7k total at varying speeds. Considered going tonight but I had to go out for work last night so wanted to be with my babies tonight and I'll go on my own tomorrow evening.

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Wed 09-Jan-13 19:41:40

Hello, is it OK if I join the thread too? I was looking for C25K threads but this seems to be the only one that's active... wish I'd found it earlier, I'm actually in week 8 but as I'm doing it on my own (failed to persuade either DD or DH to come with me!) I'd really appreciate the support and community... smile

yehudiwho Wed 09-Jan-13 21:42:28

ladies ladies we are now a link on the front page of mumsnet- honest - cinnamon you are famous !

Ooooooh how exciting smile

BethAndHerBrood Thu 10-Jan-13 14:33:31

Hi all. I'm new to this whole exercise thing, and have just done run 2 of week 1. I'm having trouble with my podcasts. They stop so far through, and i can't get them back on for love nor money. Both my runs, i've had to wing it after they stopped so i don't think i've done the right amount. But i am enjoying what i've managed to do. Even though it's nearly killed me!

This thread is not accepting new messages.