Couch to 5K - to infinity and beyond...

(1000 Posts)

A new thread for those of us who started in January 2012 and anyone starting now. Everyone welcome for support, encouragement and occasional arse kicking smile

shithappensx1000 Sat 01-Dec-12 16:26:55

Thank you Dotty2. I am now loving the running, although I haven't been out for a week, as I've had a nasty cold/chest infection. Going tomorrow - looking forward to it!

Hi KTP, hope you find treadmill running suits you better!

I've been out today and run for 40 mins, covered almost 7Km in that time so I'm well chuffed and could have run longer had I not been losing the light and had to get back so dh could go and train!

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Sat 01-Dec-12 17:21:42

Hi everyone, I have had the 5k runner app on my phone for a while now but haven't even attempted it.

I want to start it today (well tonight when dh gets home so it will probably be at around 8pm) but I fear I need a massive kick up the bum to actually get me out.

I can walk for miles with no problems, but I can't even run to the end of the road blush. That's not good!

Please kick me up the bum!

EauRouge Sat 01-Dec-12 19:24:48

<kicks StickEm>

Actually I thought I would be the same but I'm really enjoying it. I've had flu for the last week so not been out and I've missed getting up at 7am and going for a run- never thought it would be me grin

I too had great stamina for walking but not running but the first 2 weeks (which is all I've done so far) have been easy enough to not put me off completely.

Has anyone got any tips for running in this kind of weather? I don't want to break an ankle or anything. I'm wondering about changing my route if it's icy.

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Sat 01-Dec-12 21:01:11

Fuck me I think I'm going to pass out. In eight weeks time this app thinks I'll be running for 35 minutes in one go? If I could breath right now I'd be laughing grin

It's really works, I went from not being able to run at all to running for 30 mins in 8 weeks!! You will do it you just have to get out there and get started StickEmWithThePointyEnd!

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Sat 01-Dec-12 23:39:31

I hope so! I did it in the dark tonight, I think that's the way I'll have to do it from now on - no one can see me flailing and stumbling and spluttering. I'll just have to remember to keep the moans to a minimum so as not to draw attention!

EauRouge Sun 02-Dec-12 01:51:49

Are you using an app or anything to track your pace? I've been warned by a lot of experienced runners about going too fast.

LemonBreeland Sun 02-Dec-12 15:02:30

I have been mostly going out in the dark too StickEm. I am about to start week 4 and I honestly can't run either. I'm still at the stage where I can't believe I'll be able to run for that long. And it's now only 4 weeks away. shock

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to go out today though as the paths and roads in my village are covered in frozen snow. It is really rather dangerous looking.

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Sun 02-Dec-12 20:24:06

I'll see about getting an app to track my pace thanks EauRouge. I'm sure I was going too fast on the first run... and by the last one I could barely move grin

rusmum Sun 02-Dec-12 20:33:07

Back at grinning fine w1 and 2 but running daily for now!

dotty2 Mon 03-Dec-12 16:17:04

I mostly ran in the dark when I started and liked the anonymity! Frozen isn't always slippy - a light covering of frost that sparkles on the pavement probably isn't slippy at all, but sheet ice, or snow that's melted and frozen obviously is. When it was icy last winter, I found a gritted stretch of pavement a few hundred yards long and ran up and down it - boring but do-able. But I went out yesterday morning (with DH which was lovely - were staying with ILs) and the ponds etc were all frozen but paths not slippy, though they looked icy.

rusmum - welcome back, and good luck with getting back up to speed.

Sounds lovely dotty2! Wish I could share it with my hubby.

Been to running club tonight, friggin freezing and bloody hard work! 405 calories burnt though, and I'm sure it improves my speed and overall fitness smile

dotty2 Tue 04-Dec-12 09:21:26

Yes, it's really nice. We don't often get to go out together because we don't have many opportunities with someone to look after the DCs, but it's great when we do. I go more slowly than usual so that we can chat, and I think he must feel like he's crawling because he's much fitter and quicker than me, but he's always very gracious about it. Looking forward to running together over the Christmas hols when we'll have family staying - good opportunity to work off the inevitable over-indulgence.

MegBusset Thu 06-Dec-12 18:54:47

Hi all smile Am still doing my 5k 2-3 times a week. Went out today, paths were v icy this morning but had melted enough by lunchtime to dodge the slippery bits.

I think the best thing about running in cold weather is a steaming hot shower afterwards. Not so keen on getting cold again on the school run after that!

That's my trouble MegBusset, I can't run during the day so go evenings but after a dog walk and two school runs I don't want to go back out in the cold!!

jchocchip Thu 06-Dec-12 20:35:53

I need to go on a run! Too icy today.

I'm still struggling to shake off this flu, it's been nearly 2 weeks since I last went for a run. I think I'm going to have to repeat week 2 to be on the safe side sad On the plus side, I've just found out that someone is starting a park run near me around Easter so I've got something to aim for now.

shithappensx1000 Sat 08-Dec-12 21:06:41

Did my first parkrun today - complete it in 31 mins. That will do for now. Loved it!

That's fab shithappensx1000, well done!

shithappensx1000 Sat 08-Dec-12 22:14:53

Thanks cinnamon - i'd recommend parkrun - no pressure, nice atmosphere, friendly and not too long. I liked running a park.
EauRougelyNight - i was ill the other week, and even though i'd recently graduated, i went back to week 8 for my first run after missing 10 days.

I keep meaning to do it but the nearest one to me is 45 mins away by car and I am not great in the morning. The only run I did in the morning I felt so rough while running I haven't done it again. I'm the kind of person that needs to eat before I do anything and I can't run on a full stomach so will take a bit of preparation. They are planning one very close to me starting in March so if that happens I definitely will smile

shithappensx1000 Sat 08-Dec-12 22:59:15

Ahhh, 45 mins away isn't good. My nearest is 5-10mins away, makes it soooo much easier. Planning on cycling there in Spring.

jchocchip Sat 08-Dec-12 23:06:45

45 mins is a bit far. I'm lucky, mine is only about 4 miles away - I did cycle it once and have bussed it a couple of times. Well done Sh 31 is respectable.

I put in a 50 today, but enjoyable run in a lovely park and a friend from work did a 4th lap as a cool down as I did my 3rd. 'tis a really friendly place. just had a few prunes before running, didn't get up in time for breakfast. I don't drink much before my run, my slowest parkrun was the one where I drank too much at breakfast and had to have a toilet stop blush took a long time finding the right change for the loo, too.

shithappensx1000 Sun 09-Dec-12 20:18:48

jchochip your post made me smile - nipping off for a comfort break!

I would like to know if any of you have upped your running to 10k. I am thinking about doing a 10k run next year - thinking about the training. Did 6.5k today in 45 mins (my DS cycling beside me). Thinking about extending it to 7.5k once a week.

This thread is not accepting new messages.