Bootcamp Week 5 - Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Staying Alive - chat here!

(420 Posts)
BIWItheBold Sun 13-May-12 10:26:12

Welcome to week 5 - how time flies when you're having fun!

Those of us who have been here since the beginning may be finding the going tough now. You may have found that your weight loss has stopped, or you may even have put weight on <looks at self>

But hopefully you will also be enjoying the food now, and settling into this as a new way of eating. You may also have discovered the other benefits of low carbing - not being hungry, having better skin, sleeping better, fewer problems with conditions such as IBS or even asthma, fewer hot flushes (for those of us of a certain age grin) etc.

A month in, whilst you should be more used to eating like this, you will also have discovered that it's not always possible to follow a strict low carb plan because Real Life has an irritating habit of getting in the way.

But that's an important lesson for us all to learn. There are two key things here:

First, it demonstrates very clearly that you have to plan what food you buy and how you're going to eat. For example, I do quite a bit of travelling for work - going to meetings by train all over the country and sometimes abroad. If I don't plan my meals, then I will end up eating something like a sandwich because that's all that is available. I went to a meeting on Friday where the client very kindly suggested that she order lunch for us. I knew that if I didn't say I was low carbing, then we would sit down to a plate of sandwiches. It feels awkward to have to ask for special food. But - if you had a medical condition that meant you couldn't eat wheat, there would be no issue with such a request, would there?

Dieting is often seen as a trivial issue, and we think it's silly to have to ask for special/different food. But think of the impact/implications of being overweight. High blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, etc etc. None of these is trivial.

So in these situations, plan ahead and ask for something that suits you.

If you're travelling - eat properly before you set off. Get to know what shops are available at any station you're travelling through - there are an increasing number of M&S Food shops at railway stations and service stations, where you can always buy cooked meats/fish, small portions of cheese and salads (there are one or two without pasta/rice/noodles/potatoes!)

Second, despite your best efforts, sometimes life seems determined to sabotage things. Even if you ask people to cater for you, few people really understand what a low carb diet is. This has happened to me twice since Friday! My client very kindly ordered me a salad for my lunch. I was provided with a bowl of lettuce - with no dressing. Presumably whoever made it was thinking "this person is on a diet, therefore it must have to be fat-free". On top of the lettuce was sweetcorn (one of the carbiest veg there is), a dollop of coleslaw - presumably with sugar in it, like most is - a huge mound of grated carrot, some sliced cooked chicken, cucumber and tomato.

At least I could eat the chicken! But it was very dry and so to make it palatable, easy to eat, I ended up eating more of the coleslaw than I intended. I also was in the embarrassing situation of having to leave a lot of the lunch that I had specially ordered.

And last night, at dinner with friends, I had again plucked up courage to tell them of my low carbing. Despite being reassured that the meal would be low carb-friendly, it was anything but. And it was (mostly) served plated up, so to not eat it was to have been very rude. And it was delicious, and I was hungry ... smile

But this is life. We have to get through these kind of occasions and accept that they may throw us off course briefly, but that this is a longer term process we are involved in. To use a horrible cliche, we are all on a journey here.

So if it happens to you - just accept it. Don't obsess about it. Avoid the scales for a while, and make sure you are super good for the following days. Don't use it as an excuse to jump off the wagon, for that way, surely, fatness lies!

Come and tell me how you're all getting along. How has life changed for you since we set off on this journey?!

Fluer Thu 16-May-13 19:39:00

BIWI im sorry....I joined ages ago but didn't stay with it. Im exercising in the gym and been eating normally. I don't eat a lot and eat healthily but still the weight doesn't shift. So.....I decided to come back. Plus.....you mentioned "hot flushes" and as I am having those and being sooooo emotional and have been looking for a healthy way to eat going into the menopause, Im going to now give this my bestest as I know without a doubt that low carb is the best way to eat but for me ....no artificial sweetners or crap. So......thanks.thanks

BIWItheBold Mon 21-May-12 07:53:25
BIWItheBold Mon 21-May-12 07:52:46
mummyduff Mon 21-May-12 07:50:01

Morning all weigh in was better than expected, actually lost 1lb smile

BIWItheBold Mon 21-May-12 07:40:56

Off to start a new thread for chat and weigh-in right now ...

cream cheese is fine (if full fat), but I think it comes with the usual cheese caveat that it's wise not to go overboard

biwi has recommended full-fat mayo. i put plenty of dressing on salads (at least a tbsp of olive oil, with dash white wine vinegar and half tsp mustard). i struggle with butter because i don't actually like the flavour so I do know what you mean

jan2011 Mon 21-May-12 07:08:56

andro i am struggling to add the fat too. does cream cheese count as fat? i eat that no problem. that link is interesting fava thank you.
i was very tired the first few days of low carbing but i had virtually no carbs as was doing dukan. now i am having more carbs - i am eating some fruit until it runs out and i do my next shop on thursday (im the only one that eats it) so that will be a more gradual transition.
today i am having natural soy yoghurt for breakfast and a few almonds with some flax seeds

DoUntoOtters Mon 21-May-12 06:42:29

Good morning, everyone. Where are we weighing in today?

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 21-May-12 06:34:35

<downcast>
A pound on here BIWI. 10:1

BIWItheBold Sun 20-May-12 22:28:40

Well done on surviving your first week! Planning will be your saviour.

And really, really try hard with the fat. It is so important. But above all, yummy!

androbbob Sun 20-May-12 22:27:29

Well I have survived my first week - got worse as the week went on as made some bad food choices, but managed to reduced the carbs significantly. The only thing I am struggling with is the fat. It seems to be so ingrained to eat low fat that I am struggling to even buy fat! Got plenty of my own so its a shame I cant use that instead!

Planned some meals for next week to keep me on track. Hoping for a loss on the scales tomorrow but as it is TOTM I may be retaining water. Will report back tomorrow!

BIWItheBold Sun 20-May-12 22:14:12

The onion could have contributed to that though ...

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you the spreadsheet

heartstart Sun 20-May-12 22:07:05

Yes please - the soup was half an onion two small leeks 2 courgettes and 1.5 l veg stock, with cream swirl I had a small bowl and Brussels cannot have weighed more than 50g

BIWItheBold Sun 20-May-12 21:56:39

heartstart - do you want me to send you my carb counter spreadsheet?

Those counts can't possibly be right. Brussels sprouts are 3.5g carbs per 100g and courgettes are 1.8

heartstart Sun 20-May-12 21:39:49

OMG think i need to breath in to a brown paper bag. Have just filled in MFP and freaked at carb count Brussels sprouts 6 small Brussels sprouts 11g and courgette soup home made 20g neither of those can be right pleeeeeeeeeease.

BIWItheBold Sun 20-May-12 21:19:01

jan2011 - please can you list out for me exactly what you're eating at each meal? I'm worried about what you're eating, if you're so tired!

I assume you have got past the first few days of carb withdrawal?

You need to be eating plenty of fat, and you also need to be getting your carbs from vegetables and salad. When you say 'a few salady things' what do you mean?

And welcome, TinTin! But why are you doing Neris & India rather than my Bootcamp?! <pretend cross face>

FavadiCacao Sun 20-May-12 21:16:40

jan2011

Some people find cutting carbs abruptly quiet difficult. If get too tired this time as well, it maybe worth considering to reduce the carbs slowly to allow your body to adjust.

Here is an interesting article about it. drcate.com/going-low-carb-too-fast-may-trigger-thyroid-troubles-and-hormone-imbalance/

SharonGless Sun 20-May-12 20:40:01

Hi tin tin, yes come and join us!

Moonshine- if you go on the weigh in thread tomorrow someone far more technical than I will be able to help add you to spreadsheet plus all the other newbies!

ohforfoxsake Sun 20-May-12 20:36:49

Welcome Tintin, you are indeed in the right place smile

jan2011 Sun 20-May-12 20:35:37

alls ive ate today is lots of eggs really. yoghurt for breakie, 2 eggs for lunch, 3 for dinner. with a few salady things as well. im not hungry either but i hope i don't get a carb slump again cos i can't afford to be too tired, i'm already knackered!

TinTinsSexySister Sun 20-May-12 20:06:21

Hello all,

I'm just about to start Neris & India tomorrow morning. Am all prepared with arms full of vitamins and psyllium husks (what the actual fuck?!), but v nervous.

Please can I join - am I in the right place?

Shimbo Sun 20-May-12 20:06:09

I have been non-stop hungry today, and I don't know why this is, I have had:
Breakfast - an egg and smoked salmon
Lunch - tuna salad with mayo
Dinner - lamb and aubergine bake with cheese on top
Snacks - greek yoghurt, a boiled egg, cheese, salami slices, peanut butter (last resort)

I am not sure I can carry on if I am feeling this blooming hungry!

Thegoddessblossom Sun 20-May-12 19:58:10

Tea: pork belly with leeks and cabbage.

Snacks: pkt macadamia nuts, 1 glass of red, 2 decaf coffees with cream.

Second temptation of the day - made the boys banana bread with hit custard for their pudding this evening. Hubba hubba. Resisted though.

SharonGless Sun 20-May-12 19:51:42

B: cheese and mushroom omelette which filled me up so mich that I only had celery sticks with Philly and a few macadamia nuts.
D: pork chops with with was el hanout rub, Greek salad and coleslaw

ohforfoxsake Sun 20-May-12 19:45:07

Its not too different from Bootcamp is it Goddess? I lost 10 pounds in 10 days the first time I did it, but as now, wobbled off the wagon. I haven't fallen off the wagon - I still consider myself to eat a low-carb diet, and do mostly - but have been struggling with tiredness which I would normally eat through.

I am considerably lighter than DH now grin there was a time not so long ago I weighed a little bit more blush.

On the note of DHs and this WOE, my DH is also just grateful for a decent meal every night (and often now a decent breakfast in the morning). He is all for this way of eating, but isn't actually doing it. So I might give him a plate of steak, veg, creamy blue cheese leeks for dinner, but he's had curry and rice for lunch, so I'm making things worse for him. He eats from the canteen at work (refuses to take a salad) and the choices are sandwiches, jacket potatoes, hot dishes etc - standard canteen menu, although it is good quality. He isn't much bothered by food, grabs what there is when he can and doesn't put a great deal of thought into it. Unlike me who tends to obsess grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now