Bootcamp Week 5 - Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Staying Alive - chat here!

(420 Posts)
BIWItheBold Sun 13-May-12 10:26:12

Welcome to week 5 - how time flies when you're having fun!

Those of us who have been here since the beginning may be finding the going tough now. You may have found that your weight loss has stopped, or you may even have put weight on <looks at self>

But hopefully you will also be enjoying the food now, and settling into this as a new way of eating. You may also have discovered the other benefits of low carbing - not being hungry, having better skin, sleeping better, fewer problems with conditions such as IBS or even asthma, fewer hot flushes (for those of us of a certain age grin) etc.

A month in, whilst you should be more used to eating like this, you will also have discovered that it's not always possible to follow a strict low carb plan because Real Life has an irritating habit of getting in the way.

But that's an important lesson for us all to learn. There are two key things here:

First, it demonstrates very clearly that you have to plan what food you buy and how you're going to eat. For example, I do quite a bit of travelling for work - going to meetings by train all over the country and sometimes abroad. If I don't plan my meals, then I will end up eating something like a sandwich because that's all that is available. I went to a meeting on Friday where the client very kindly suggested that she order lunch for us. I knew that if I didn't say I was low carbing, then we would sit down to a plate of sandwiches. It feels awkward to have to ask for special food. But - if you had a medical condition that meant you couldn't eat wheat, there would be no issue with such a request, would there?

Dieting is often seen as a trivial issue, and we think it's silly to have to ask for special/different food. But think of the impact/implications of being overweight. High blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, etc etc. None of these is trivial.

So in these situations, plan ahead and ask for something that suits you.

If you're travelling - eat properly before you set off. Get to know what shops are available at any station you're travelling through - there are an increasing number of M&S Food shops at railway stations and service stations, where you can always buy cooked meats/fish, small portions of cheese and salads (there are one or two without pasta/rice/noodles/potatoes!)

Second, despite your best efforts, sometimes life seems determined to sabotage things. Even if you ask people to cater for you, few people really understand what a low carb diet is. This has happened to me twice since Friday! My client very kindly ordered me a salad for my lunch. I was provided with a bowl of lettuce - with no dressing. Presumably whoever made it was thinking "this person is on a diet, therefore it must have to be fat-free". On top of the lettuce was sweetcorn (one of the carbiest veg there is), a dollop of coleslaw - presumably with sugar in it, like most is - a huge mound of grated carrot, some sliced cooked chicken, cucumber and tomato.

At least I could eat the chicken! But it was very dry and so to make it palatable, easy to eat, I ended up eating more of the coleslaw than I intended. I also was in the embarrassing situation of having to leave a lot of the lunch that I had specially ordered.

And last night, at dinner with friends, I had again plucked up courage to tell them of my low carbing. Despite being reassured that the meal would be low carb-friendly, it was anything but. And it was (mostly) served plated up, so to not eat it was to have been very rude. And it was delicious, and I was hungry ... smile

But this is life. We have to get through these kind of occasions and accept that they may throw us off course briefly, but that this is a longer term process we are involved in. To use a horrible cliche, we are all on a journey here.

So if it happens to you - just accept it. Don't obsess about it. Avoid the scales for a while, and make sure you are super good for the following days. Don't use it as an excuse to jump off the wagon, for that way, surely, fatness lies!

Come and tell me how you're all getting along. How has life changed for you since we set off on this journey?!

Thegoddessblossom Sun 13-May-12 17:37:57

Lunch was avocado filled with prawns and a small amount of 1000 island dressing. Had full fat total yog with blueberries for pudding.

Snacks have been a pepperami, pork scratchings....so far. Am majorly hungover and cannot stop eating today.

Roast chicken for tea, with courgettes, and cauliflower mash.

teaandthorazine Sun 13-May-12 17:44:10

uuuuugghhhnnnggghhh

Am just leaving work. Now have to 50 mile round trip to pick up ds from his dad's. Am knackered, starving and need a wee. And, frankly, a bloody big glass of chilled sauv...

GreenEyesAndHam Sun 13-May-12 18:12:31

Well tea was roast chicken, spring greens, broccoli, pigs in blankets and as a special treat...one small roast potato! Which tasted by the way, really sweet. And a spoonful of gravy.

smokinaces Sun 13-May-12 19:11:53

Afternoon. Is it bad to go with my weight on Saturday pre wine sabotage? I lost 1lb and was down to 10st 11.....

Mega chuffed, just bought some chinos from Asda for work. In a 10. A goddamn 10. They are snug but not tight and I can wear them no problem. I know Asda come up big - am a 12 in primark - but to be fair I tried on a 12 in new look today and they were too big (but 10s in there too small) someone last night also commented on how small I was. Mega ego boosts and made getting back on the wagon today a lot easier :-)

LynnCSchreiber Sun 13-May-12 19:20:30

smokingaces
Oh, well done. It is going to be good motivation for me seeing how well you are all doing.

I had shoesoles roast beef that Dad ruined in the slow cooker for dinner and made spinach and mushroom frittata kind of thing. Was yummy. I did have to defend it from Mum's attack with the fork. I was all, "OI. Go get a tattie".

Could have done with some gravy to moisten the beef, but was sure it was on the banned list.

2bayumimum Sun 13-May-12 19:21:58

I shall give carrots a miss totally for two weeks and then maybe introduce them on Bootcamp lite...thanks BiWi

mummyduff Sun 13-May-12 19:30:28

Hi All,

Lacka hope you are feeling better x

BIWI love your inspirational OP its fabgrin

Cant believe we are starting week 5, I am loving this WOE, have rediscovered food. Also I have to say in the last 4 weeks I have not eaten any bread, pasta, rice, sweet stuff or potato's and dont miss any of it, which surprised me as I really thought I would. It really helps having everyone on here keeping me on the straight & narrow.smile

Fingers crossed for a good weigh in tomorrow morning, I'm hoping for another pound at least.

BIWItheBold Sun 13-May-12 20:25:12

grin
thanks

Mme - gravy is a difficult one - if it's been thickened, then it's not great (but on the other hand, if you're only having a little bit, how bad can it really be?!)

If it's called 'jus' then it's usually safe ...

LynnCSchreiber Sun 13-May-12 20:29:46

It was Bisto, BIWI. None of that fancy stuff.

Thegoddessblossom Sun 13-May-12 20:40:17

No wine. No nuts. No dark choc. Boooooring....

BIWItheBold Sun 13-May-12 20:45:55

No wine. No nuts. No dark choc.

=

weight loss

=

exciting!

androbbob Sun 13-May-12 20:58:13

Hello - do you have room for a not so little one?

Been following the threads over the past few weeks and reckon this could be the way forward for me. I am diabetic (diet controlled) and trying to lose the same 3 stones since last summer, the summer before, the summer before...... you know the script! Done WW quite sucessfully before but stopped going as moved offices and classes were not easy to get to, so on the weight went.

Starting tomorrow - clean slate - WI and then to the gym.

BIWItheBold Sun 13-May-12 21:17:31

Welcome, oh little one!

Creamtea1 Sun 13-May-12 21:18:44

Checking in again after bit of absence (wisdom teeth out)
Weighed yesterday, was 10 st 0 :-) so have lost half a stone in the last month. Soooooo close to the 9's!! Will weigh in again the morning but am in fear of it being up a pound...have had lots of 'you look skinny' compliments but I still think there is a stone to go.
Online shop coming tomorrow with lots of good stuff

SharonGless Sun 13-May-12 21:21:45

Androbob welcome! Loads of room for one more and always welcome. There are links to research about LC being far better for diabetics and in fact GPs are belong sent on courses now to learn about the benefits.

Emotionally i am fucking drained but don't want to go into reasons why. Suffice to say I m hanging on by a thread.

For the first time in my 40 years I have not rewarded myself or comforted myself with food. This is a major breakthrough for me as the two have been inextricably linked.

BIWI I cannot thank you enough and everyone who posts on here. Each post represents to me a community of people who feel much like me abut food and are working towards changing our woe and eventually impove our quality of life

gothicmama Sun 13-May-12 21:28:27

BIWI I'm still here struggling as have comfort ate for about a week - well done Sharon for sticking witht this WOE I shall keep on trying I want to lose these last 7lbs

Hepsibaaah Sun 13-May-12 21:33:01

<opens deckchair, plonks self down>
still, here, still LCing, still losing (v slowly, but those numbers are decreasing)
Skin's great (for my age...), brain's clearer (again, for my age!), clothes are looser! Wore some shorts for the first time this summer today and didn't feel like a beached whale, so very positive about this

BIWI you are a star thanks for this

BIWItheBold Sun 13-May-12 21:36:49

Hepsibaah - how old are you? I'm nearly 53 and really fighting against it! Hence starting these threads, working hard to lose weight, going to the gym, etc etc.

And I so identify with feeling like a beached whale.

Hepsibaaah Sun 13-May-12 21:47:36

I'm 52 BIWI, same as you, fighting it all the way!
Think I said it way back in the first week, but I've yo-yo'd weight-wise all my adult life (heaviest was 11 stone 4lbs after my second DC) and as the years have gone by so it's got much much harder to shift the fat. I've found running fits around work and life, so doing that as well as this WOE has worked for me.

BIWItheBold Sun 13-May-12 21:55:52

I'm determined not to allow the menopause to defeat me! <deluded>

I am now 9 months since my last period, and I believe that the marker for 'achieving' the menopause (as opposed to being perimenopausal) is 12 months, so I really want to make sure I've got shot of this weight as soon as I can. 'Before' seems easier than 'after' from what I can gather.

DoUntoOtters Sun 13-May-12 22:29:22

Good evening, everyone.

I am both excited and anxious about tomorrow's weigh-in. After staying the same in week 3 and losing half a pound last week, I have been really good this week. My only slip was one chocolate button, which DS2 put in my mouth. I couldn't spit it out at him, now could I? grin

Anyway, I hope to see the numbers drop in the morning (I've stayed away from the scales all week), but if they don't, I just hope I can stick with it until the weight does start to shift.

Oh, and thanks for the Belly Pork recipe. We had it tonight and it was a big success with everyone. thanks

mummyduff Mon 14-May-12 06:33:15

Wohoo weighed in at 9st 5lb, so have lost another 1lb, a total of 11lb since the start of this WOEgrin

Weighing in on Mondays really keeps me being good over the weekend(genius idea)

Thegoddessblossom Mon 14-May-12 07:52:45

Welcome Andro/Little one! grin

Sharon sorry to hear you have been struggling. Well done for not succumbing to comfort food. Massive achievement.

Well done Mummyduff - I haven't weighed this morning - was a bit of a kerfuffle as SOMEONE who we won't name, forgot to be the tooth fairy last night for DS2's first lost tooth (oh the shame - what a useless mummy), so I had to scramble and find a pound that for some reason the tooth fairy left in the playroom. He was happy with that thank god. In my defence, he had fallen asleep in my bed, and I moved him into his and Iwas----so----hungover----i----went----to----bed----at--9

Breakfast - last night's leftover courgette and mushrooms in a 2 egg omelette. DH had meal envy again, fnar.

SharonGless Mon 14-May-12 08:08:21

Goddess, we had same palaver with DS1 first tooth on Thurs night. Tooth fairy manged to leave a pound but FORGOT TO TAKE THE TOOTH!!

Deep breaths

BIWItheBold Mon 14-May-12 08:26:45

Morning all!

Here's a really interesting article about 'Five a Day' - you may have thought this was something that the government were promoting because they genuinely believed it was good for us. But no. It turns out to be a marketing campaign, which is not even based on good science:

www.zoeharcombe.com/2012/03/five-a-day-the-truth/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now