Bootcamp Week 5 - Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Staying Alive - chat here!

(420 Posts)
BIWItheBold Sun 13-May-12 10:26:12

Welcome to week 5 - how time flies when you're having fun!

Those of us who have been here since the beginning may be finding the going tough now. You may have found that your weight loss has stopped, or you may even have put weight on <looks at self>

But hopefully you will also be enjoying the food now, and settling into this as a new way of eating. You may also have discovered the other benefits of low carbing - not being hungry, having better skin, sleeping better, fewer problems with conditions such as IBS or even asthma, fewer hot flushes (for those of us of a certain age grin) etc.

A month in, whilst you should be more used to eating like this, you will also have discovered that it's not always possible to follow a strict low carb plan because Real Life has an irritating habit of getting in the way.

But that's an important lesson for us all to learn. There are two key things here:

First, it demonstrates very clearly that you have to plan what food you buy and how you're going to eat. For example, I do quite a bit of travelling for work - going to meetings by train all over the country and sometimes abroad. If I don't plan my meals, then I will end up eating something like a sandwich because that's all that is available. I went to a meeting on Friday where the client very kindly suggested that she order lunch for us. I knew that if I didn't say I was low carbing, then we would sit down to a plate of sandwiches. It feels awkward to have to ask for special food. But - if you had a medical condition that meant you couldn't eat wheat, there would be no issue with such a request, would there?

Dieting is often seen as a trivial issue, and we think it's silly to have to ask for special/different food. But think of the impact/implications of being overweight. High blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, etc etc. None of these is trivial.

So in these situations, plan ahead and ask for something that suits you.

If you're travelling - eat properly before you set off. Get to know what shops are available at any station you're travelling through - there are an increasing number of M&S Food shops at railway stations and service stations, where you can always buy cooked meats/fish, small portions of cheese and salads (there are one or two without pasta/rice/noodles/potatoes!)

Second, despite your best efforts, sometimes life seems determined to sabotage things. Even if you ask people to cater for you, few people really understand what a low carb diet is. This has happened to me twice since Friday! My client very kindly ordered me a salad for my lunch. I was provided with a bowl of lettuce - with no dressing. Presumably whoever made it was thinking "this person is on a diet, therefore it must have to be fat-free". On top of the lettuce was sweetcorn (one of the carbiest veg there is), a dollop of coleslaw - presumably with sugar in it, like most is - a huge mound of grated carrot, some sliced cooked chicken, cucumber and tomato.

At least I could eat the chicken! But it was very dry and so to make it palatable, easy to eat, I ended up eating more of the coleslaw than I intended. I also was in the embarrassing situation of having to leave a lot of the lunch that I had specially ordered.

And last night, at dinner with friends, I had again plucked up courage to tell them of my low carbing. Despite being reassured that the meal would be low carb-friendly, it was anything but. And it was (mostly) served plated up, so to not eat it was to have been very rude. And it was delicious, and I was hungry ... smile

But this is life. We have to get through these kind of occasions and accept that they may throw us off course briefly, but that this is a longer term process we are involved in. To use a horrible cliche, we are all on a journey here.

So if it happens to you - just accept it. Don't obsess about it. Avoid the scales for a while, and make sure you are super good for the following days. Don't use it as an excuse to jump off the wagon, for that way, surely, fatness lies!

Come and tell me how you're all getting along. How has life changed for you since we set off on this journey?!

BIWItheBold Sat 19-May-12 10:07:37

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! What made you do that?! Careful you don't end up undoing all your good work.

Ds was up throwing up last night i have had about 90 mins sleep so did it without thinking but back on the wagon so too speak now boiled eggs with butter for brekkie coffee with cream no sugar and 2 litres of water

MNP Sat 19-May-12 10:26:27

Oh botheration, I am struggling to eat enough on this WOE as I am not hungry, looking at food diary my portions have shrunk tho I am still doing the 3+Ltrs of water.

The scales say I have gained 5lbs sad I have been having cheese, cream in larger quantities, back to strict Bootamp starting today.

MNP Sat 19-May-12 10:27:48

iPad does not like bootCamp

heartstart Sat 19-May-12 10:32:36

Hi went back and re looked at yesterday had miscalculated carbs so was actually 25g of which 13 were 2 slices of flax focaccia which map counts as 13g and recipe says it would be 1.4g of available carb. I was assuming that because flax is largely fibre, hence useful re constipation, that it works by passing through gut rather than being broken down and all calories/carbs etc absorbed.

Yesterday I had

B Slice flax bread and cheese for breakfast with coffee and cream
Smoked salmon and avocado with mayo and green salad
Homemade burgers slice focaccia lettuce, cucumber, tomato 1 small mayo, mushrooms fried in butter

Snacks 85% choc, 25g cheese, strawberries

3 litres of water

heartstart Sat 19-May-12 10:39:45

Had cheese to increase fat

heartstart Sat 19-May-12 10:40:39

MFP not map

BIWItheBold Sat 19-May-12 10:41:16

That's quite a lot of carbs - bread, chocolate and strawberries - that aren't coming from veg/salad.

If you've put 5lbs back on, then I'd look at cutting that out/down - and keep an eye on your dairy (cream/cheese).

BIWItheBold Sat 19-May-12 10:42:06

Look to other ways of increasing your fat - vegetables (not just salad) cooked in butter, mayonnaise on the side etc

heartstart Sat 19-May-12 10:59:15

Thanks for advice as ever - I haven't put weight on just not losing hence checking numbers on MFP. Actually think have found carbs level of maintenance but obviously too early smile and def feel better with this woe. Lost 3 stone last year on a combo of shakes etc and then low carb then went to low cal and weight started going up again. So am pleased am back at lowest weight from last year but want to get more off. Also been unwell, am fine now but have loads of meds which may play a part.

BIWItheBold Sat 19-May-12 12:02:28

Oops - sorry - got you mixed up with MNP! blush

Meds may well have something to do with it. I think the key thing with this WOE is to understand how many carbs you can/can't eat - as well as the sorts of foods that don't agree with you, in terms of impeding weight loss.

It's all a bit of a learning thang smile

Scales back up for me this morning <sighs> which is only my own fault. Had wine last night, and then a spoonful of tarka dall with my otherwise very virtuous takeaway (tandoori chicken and spinach bhaji). I also made some Parmesan crisps which, although very lovely, are too moreish, and I think I probably ate too many of those.

Off to the PILs this weekend. Normally this would spell disaster on the carb front, but I'm cooking this evening (MIL finding it increasingly difficult to cook for more than herself and PIL sad), so am in charge. We will be having steak and salad (with frites for DH and DSIL). Then tomorrow we're going for lunch at a carvery which, although not somewhere I would normally choose, should at least be manageable from the LC perspective.

Thegoddessblossom Sat 19-May-12 12:06:11

Morning.

Weighed this morning and scales said 8.12. I nearly fainted as I haven't been that weight since I was about 19. Moved scales, weighed again, 9.4. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

Terrible night's sleep. Feel like a zombie today. Got a kid free afternoon today, and I would normally grab the opportunity to do some exercise but can't see that happening.

Breakfast: Full fat greek yog with a few blueberries.

BIWItheBold Sat 19-May-12 12:29:47

Well, I was once told, on the Carblife site, that there's no such thing as a false low reading. Whereas there is such a thing as a false high reading.

I don't know if that's true (actually I can't see any reason why it's true grin) but it's sustained me for a long time!

Personally, I try to only get on the scales once at any one time. If I think it's dodgy, though, then it's best of three ...

Thegoddessblossom Sat 19-May-12 13:08:38

It must have been dodgy Biwi, although bless you for your theory...smile

I did best of three...

SharonGless Sat 19-May-12 13:18:49

I did best of three this morning and put 2lbs on

However I went out for Greek meal
Last night as it was my sisters birthday. She has already ordered three platters, one meat one veggie and one seafood so I wasn't worried. However all the meat dishes went very quickly leaving lots of rice and cous cous. I had tiny bits and a big Greek salad plus two tiny squares of pitta. Had raging stomach ache all night which have just managed to get rid of.

DH is very sceptical of this WOE despite not having read round externally he is going off anecdotal evidence. Last nights offering was a friend at work who lost 5 stone doing Atkins and got obsessed with weight. Tried to explain that although I want to lose weight this is about a healthier way of eating. He was laughing at me about conspiracy theory. Tbh it doesn't surprise md the lack of support just makes me sad

moonshine Sat 19-May-12 13:34:49

Ha Ha - I have to average out countless weigh-in as scales show something different every single time I stand on them.

1lb on this morning, so the honeymoon period is over but I am hoping it is perhaps water retention as I reckon I had a lot of salt yesterday - the only different thing I ate was 4 olives.

I am going to attempt my first ever celeriac mash tonight. What do you reckon is a decent portion size (half of one??) and does everyone add butter?

sharon sorry your dh isn't being supportive, that must make it hard

dp hasn't really got his head round it (he talks about 'when you're eating normally again...', though tbh my eating has never really been normal since I was a teenager) but he is very pleased i'm feeling so good on this woe

LynnCSchreiber Sat 19-May-12 16:22:11

Sharon
Sorry your dh isn't more supportive. It is difficult to believe in this woe cause it goes against all we have been told for years. Still doesnt excuse him.

I am noticing how much dh is eating, particularly carbs. Am buying my tongue though. He has to see long term results before I can persuade him to think about his diet.

Went for lunch today and there was nothing on the menu that suited bootcamp. I ordered quiche with salad and didn't eat the base. Hope it was made with eggs and cream and not milk.

Going to cook something low carb for all tonight. Maybe chilli.

teaandthorazine Sat 19-May-12 16:29:50

Helllo all

nightshift last night and another tonight so feeling Not Great. Was insanely busy last night so didn't eat, hence waking this afternoon to carb craving, that I gave into in a fog. Bacon roll and some milk choc. But actually it didn't really make me feel any better, so will get back on the wagon right now! Lovely dp has gone out to buy me Stilton and broc soup to take to work, have also got almonds I didn't eat last night. Will have scrambled eggs with spinach before I go in. Feel exhausted. Nightshifts are the pits.

On the plus side, I appear to have dropped another 2lbs!! Maybe it was the coconut oil!

QueenStromba Sat 19-May-12 16:48:54

I'm sorry your DH isn't supporting you Sharon. My DP has been really good about it. He's happy to forgo restaurants where I can't eat anything I fancy and he understands that I'm never going back to eating "normally" especially when it comes to wheat. I do most of the cooking and he's just really happy that I put food down in front of him and will probably eventually adapt to this way of eating without wanting extra carbs with some of his meals - he'll eat the same as me in a fry up now without complaining about lack of beans or toast.

LittleFrieda Sat 19-May-12 17:07:58

I stood on a bee this morning and it stung me. Poor me, poor bee.

Forgive me Biwi for I have sinned, I bought some peanuts -- salted -- on weds and ate them all. blush It wasn't a huge packet but boy did I feel rank after eating them. Interestingly it didn't knock me out of ketosis but I think I'm on the week 4 stall. I know now I can't buy nuts and trust myself o eat just a few.

heartstart Sat 19-May-12 18:32:57

Been to a charity football match had water, one coffee and a burger no bun. Now having fresh mint tea and snack of ham

SharonGless Sat 19-May-12 18:50:20

Thanks for the supportive messages - you don't know how much it means. I really feel like I have had a life changing experience bout this WOE but he isn't willing to open himself up to it. I haven't been particularly evangelical with him as I know too well that he needs to discover it for himself to believe it. Hence the books.

About to make cauliflower rice to go with homemade curry

Thegoddessblossom Sat 19-May-12 18:55:46

Lunch was: 3 sticks celery one of which was spread with some peanut butter, 1 slice cheddar, 1 pepperami, 1 tin of mackerel in oil. How's that for random?

Snack: pkt pork scratchings.

No idea what to have for tea - omelette if I can be bothered.

Creamtea1 Sat 19-May-12 19:18:43

Gah...doom...1lb up today back to 10st dead because of crappy Chinese takeaway filth from last night and standard weekend lunchtime situation of 'well we all won't bother with lunch if you're not going to have anything' whilst out bribery.
Just had row and stated categorically lunch at home tomorrow of which it is noone else's business what I do or don't have.
Dinner is tacos (lettuce not standard shell for me).
And about 5 litres water in the hope that the gain is water weight and I can wee it out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now