At last - here it is! BIWI's 2 week Low Carb Bootcamp - starts tomorrow - sign in here

(1000 Posts)
BIWI Sun 15-Apr-12 22:36:38

Lots of you have said you want to do this - now it's time to put your money where your mouth is, so to speak.

Oh, alright, it's free. grin

The plan is that we have two very strict weeks of low carbing. Which is why, doh, it's called a bootcamp.

There are 'rules of engagement' for the fortnight - but they're different if you're carnivore or a vegetarian. I shall post the rules for us carnivores, and flipflopflap will post the rules for those of you that are vegetarians.

Sign in with your starting weight - in pounds, stones and pounds, kilos or - if you don't want to reveal your weight, with 100 as an index - and what you're wanting to achieve in the two weeks. I know that not everyone is doing this for the purpose of weight loss, so you don't have to do this if you don't want to - but tell us what you want this fortnight to help you achieve.

The Carnivore Rules

1.Eat three, proper meals a day.
You must eat breakfast. It doesn’t have to be a lot, but you must have something. For the rest of the day, if you’re eating enough food and you are in ketosis then you shouldn’t be hungry. But if you are hungry, eat something. (Hard boiled eggs make a great snack)

2.Avoid processed food
Focus on pure, natural protein as the basis for your meals – meat/fish/eggs. Things like sausages, ham, bacon, pre-prepared burgers etc should be avoided as much as possible. You can have them, but just not every day. Avoid foods marketed as low carb, e.g. Atkins Daybreak bars.

3.Eat lots of fat.
Eating fat helps you to burn fat. Honestly! Fry in butter, add butter to vegetables, eat salad with a home-made vinaigrette dressing (not made with balsamic vinegar though, as this is too sweet), add mayonnaise where you can (just check the carb count on your mayo first). Eat fattier cuts of meat – e.g. pork belly, roast chicken with the skin on and/or eat the fat off your lamb chops. Absolutely no low fat/light foods of any kind!

4.Make sure you are eating vegetables and salads with your food
This is where your carbs should come from, and this is non-negotiable. But choose only those vegetables that are on the allowed list. You don’t have to weigh/count carbs – this is one of the great joys of this WOE (way of eating), but if you’re new to low carbing it can be helpful to weigh your portions of veg in the early days, just so that you know how many carbs are in the sort of portions that you like to eat

*5.Be careful about dairy (apart from butter, which is unlimited). It can impede weight loss for some people. If you are still drinking tea/coffee with milk or cream, try to restrict yourself to max 2 cups per day. You may eat cheese, but don't overdo it. Full fat yoghurt is the best way to include dairy in your diet - but beware, it does contain carbs. Total Full Fat is the best.

6.You must drink a minimum of 2 litres of water per day.
The more weight you have to lose, the more water you should drink

7.No alcohol
If you really can't do this - at least try and restrict it to the weekend. Vodka with soda is the best thing to drink. Or Champagne, red wine or dry white wine.

8.No fruit
Really. Seriously. Honestly. None at all. Zilch. Nada.

9.No nuts/seeds
Whilst these are really good to snack on later - it can be too easy to start snacking on these - and before you know it, all your carbs have gone on nuts. Seriously - in bootcamp - don't do it to yourself.

10.No sugar or artificial sweeteners

GreenEyesAndHam Thu 19-Apr-12 21:29:08

Good luck lack (daisy?)

ilovemyteddy Thu 19-Apr-12 21:37:29

Is marmite allowed as a spread on oopsie rolls?

Good luck Daisy and BIWI

TheGoddessBlossom Thu 19-Apr-12 21:37:31

Bag sounds lovely lack, ffs don't carry mackerel in it.... grin

KeepOrfThemCarbs Thu 19-Apr-12 21:51:50

Good luck LackaDaisy!

I have been back at work today but feeling a bit rough still. I have eaten a tuna and cheese salad for lunchtime, and for dinner I had a pork chop with blue cheese, with brocolli.

MrsNouveauRichards Thu 19-Apr-12 22:00:41

Good luck LackaDaisy!

Tea, tell me about these colon cleanse thingies......

KeepOrf, hope you feel better soon. How did your appointment go?

ledkr Thu 19-Apr-12 22:02:43

getorf Thanks for the noodle tip off i may have a look tomorrow as i was planning to do a stir fry.
Im getting sooo bored now,i have such a craving for sweets its untrue.Ok with the meals now couldnt care less about pasta etc but just miss sweets and a biccy with my tea.
I made oopsy rolls and they were very sucessfull.Im going to make a sausage sarnie for brekkie.
Will be out Sat night at a comedy club and will defo be having a voddy or two.I dont think i can be in ketosis anyway as still get hungry. Prob not drunk enough water due to job and also been having about 3 teas with a splash of milk.

ledkr Thu 19-Apr-12 22:04:42

oh sorry,good luck daisy for tomorrow.

Creamtea1 Thu 19-Apr-12 22:07:34

Tea please give detail on the colon cleanse tabs! Are they dulcolax in disguise??

Gincognito Thu 19-Apr-12 22:12:00

I cannae keep up with this thread, cap'n!

FauxFox Thu 19-Apr-12 22:20:03

Good day for me again, no headaches and I have a portion of de-li-shus salmon and asparagus frittata left over to have for breakfast tomorrow grin

Peppermint tea then bed for me...zzzzz

teaandthorazine Thu 19-Apr-12 22:34:41

Can't link v well as am on phone but they are from Victoria Health and called Super Cleanse for colon (nice!) No senna, but the active ingredient is cascara bark, also licorice, fennel, ginger and probiotics etc. The pot is £17 for 100 tablets so not exactly cheap but they're much gentler than senna or bisocodyl. They are well worth the investment if you're a bit, ummm, 'backed up'!

Lovecat Thu 19-Apr-12 22:40:52

Evening all, just checking in before bed.

I have had a fishy day and my breath was so ick after lunch I had a piece of sugarfree chewing gum <runs away from BIWI>

However! Gum aside, I've had mackerel pate on celery for brekkie, salmon, crayfish and avocado salad for lunch and a pork chop with salad and a warm brie dressing for dinner. Loads of water and 2 cups black coffee. Not been hungry at all.

TMI alert - I am a poo-free zone. Despite eating heaps of green veg and salad I have not pooed since Monday. I bought some dulcoease today as I'm mildly concerned that when it does come it's going to be painful...sad

On the bright side, no headachessmile

Creamtea1 Thu 19-Apr-12 22:47:05

Thanks tea will get some of those I think.

Have posted an apple and cinnamon flax muffin recipe on the recipe thread. I don't think it is ok for boot camp but will be good for ongoing low carb <whispers quietly I have made some this afternoon and they are good>

ToryLovell Thu 19-Apr-12 23:22:42

Just poppin gin to wish LackaDaisy good luck for tomorrow.

Have been on the straight and narrow for 4 full days now.

This had better bloody work grin

Tortington Fri 20-Apr-12 00:17:05

another 1lb this am - that's 2 lb since monday and i have 2 weigh ins to go before night of of carb fuelled debauchery

MNP Fri 20-Apr-12 00:17:10

All the best today LACKA and BIWI

Lots of driving so not a good day.

B.ham
L.water
D.wagamama squid and edamame

have done 3 ltrs today.

smokinaces Fri 20-Apr-12 06:46:33

Good luck daisy.

Have we another thread for random gossiping? This one is nearly 1000.....

FauxFox Fri 20-Apr-12 07:14:53

Morning all! My plan is B: leftover frittata L: Cauli soup (from the recipe thread) D: Lasagna made with grilled aubergine instead of pasta sheets.

I will also be studiously ignoring alcohol this evening in the knowledge that I am having a planned wine cheat tomorrow night grin

BettyBathroom Fri 20-Apr-12 07:19:16

Morning! Didn't check in last night because I fell asleep snuggled up on the sofa - and slept fantastically well all night and it has occurred to me since I started reduced my carbs that my insomnia has improved enormously...even on nights where I drink too much wine. What an unexpected bonus - no more lying awake for hours on end.

Yesterday's menu

B boiled eggs with butter - what a simple treat
L Chilli & coconut stir fry - heat sensors & smoke sensors went mental, the chilli hit was epic. wink Just the hit I needed.
D Vietnamese Aspargus pancakes - a bit of fusion involved...but I wasn't complaining it was bloody gorgeous - the dipping sauce did contain some Stevia as a sweetener - it's meant to be natural....

And in Ketosis today for sure, my wee smells very odd indeed and I'm drinking loads, sorry if tmi....I think I am destined to be one of the rare individual who feels hunger even in ketosis.

BettyBathroom Fri 20-Apr-12 07:21:50

Good luck LackaDaisy!

BIWIWhoMustBeObeyed Fri 20-Apr-12 07:41:18
Lovecat Fri 20-Apr-12 07:42:57

Good luck Lackadaisy, hope it all goes well smile

I seem to have got dehydrated in my sleep - last night before bed, wee was absolutely clear, this morning was dark yellow. Weird. (sorry, I am going to be that woman who bores on about her bowels)

Just boiling up some eggs for breakfast with butter in a cup. Haven't had that since I was a little girl!

BIWIWhoMustBeObeyed Fri 20-Apr-12 07:49:55

You have wee coming out of your bowels? Now that isn't a side effect of Low Carbing I've heard about before

grin

lemniscate Fri 20-Apr-12 07:54:53

Lost 2 1/2lbs so far. God knows how as I ate cake last night blush I had a stressful meeting, the most hideous 2 1/2 hour commute (usually 1 1/2 hours) including an unscheduled stop by the road for an emergency wee in lashing rain with cars streaming past all because of the 2 litres of water I had already drunk that day, was 25 mins late at nursery, kids were exhausted, I was stressed beyond belief and the only thing in the house appeared to be cake (this was the lie I told myself anyway). Sigh. It was good, but I am back on the straight and narrow today for sure as I feel very fortunate that I seem to have got away with it.

Hope you are all being sooo much better behaved than me!

Lovecat Fri 20-Apr-12 08:08:05

You know what I mean... grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.