New Mum seeking new body by Christmas!

(1000 Posts)
CoraBear Mon 24-Oct-11 12:18:43

My baby boy is 6 months old and I am quite overweight. Ok, I'm alot overweight (takes deep breath) I'm 15 stone. At 5 ft 7 this is waaay to much. I am sitting here in the one pair of trousers that fit me and my DP's tee shirt because none of my tops fit properly. Basically my stomach looks like a deflated paddling pool and my thighs are so big that I'm fairly sure that if I sit down too much longer they will burst open.

After I had the baby I took the very grown up approach to weight loss and I hoped that if I ignored the problem it would go away and somehow I would have a body like posh spice-because all new mothers lose all the weight instantly don't they? Turns out they don't, and surviving on mini aero's didn't help. I weigh more now than when I gave birth.

I have a serious lack of motivation but I decided to see if I could lose some pounds before Christmas, as I'll be seeing people I haven't seen since I was pregnant and want to look casually fabulous. So are any of you interested in holding my hand, kicking my arse and generally helping each other to stay on track? I really want to do this but I know if I'm not answerable to others my resolve will slip.

I have my first weight watchers meeting tomorrow, which I'm dreading as it will mean that the leader will weigh me and know what a tubby fecker I am. So, if any of you weight watcher followers or followers of other plans would like to come and join me and share stories of jogging up and down while eating maltesers so the points are being eaten and burned off simultaneously or just have a rant about how unfair the world is when you're hungry, you are welcome.

Right, I'm off to remove all the biscuits, chocolate and sweets from my house before tomorrow. That's right, when I say "remove" I do of course mean "eat them".

NewChoos Wed 05-Mar-14 21:40:04

You must be working off a lot of calories with all the carrying surely?!
Hoping you The Sol house is all better soon.

What are you having for your meals?
I had weetbix this morning with SS milk for 5 points.
Soup and fruit for lunch and snacked on yogurt and cashews and chocolate
I need to start strictly pointing though as I was a bit vague today. I just wish tiny would sleep longer than 2 hour stretches so I didn't have this ongoing background tiredness!

I think I am a anxious person too, but I worry less about some things like work but worry +++ about anything to do with the children. Am already worried re school, what we will do for childcare, potential for bullying etc etc My main worry at the moment is going back to work, I just need to do it and hopefully it won't be as bad as I think!

NewChoos Wed 05-Mar-14 21:41:19

I mean going back to work and missing the DC and them missing me…. or being upset..

SolitudeSometimesIs Wed 05-Mar-14 21:43:23

Oh my God, I'm so so so so hungry.

Is it because I know that I'm on this diet for the long haul. But I'm definitely going to bed hungry.

I had roasted veg and a quorn fillet-y thing but I had to go back for a cup of soup within an hour. I think it might have been because I spent the entire day carrying my baby around. How the hell do I not have arms like Madonna with all the heavy weight I carry around all day? And by that I mean the baby, my arse hasn't got so big that I need to carry it around in my arms.

I had a houmous wrap with salad for lunch with a cup of soup. It wasn't enough, I felt as if I hadn't eaten. I think that I'm missing my chocolate in the afternoon, I had gotten in to the habit of having a few chocolate chip cookies while I was waiting for the bottles to finish sterilising. Now I have to just stand and watch the kettle boil.

NewChoos Wed 05-Mar-14 21:50:08

Could you have a few chocolate buttons just to get a taste, the small bags are 2 points.
How about cutting up some cucumber/carrot to snack on. I know its not the same <sigh>
I have got my menu planned for tomorrow and I'll be joining you in the starving feeling.
Bfast: weetabix & ss milk 5 points
Snack hot chic and strawberries 1 point
Lunch: Chicken and veg soup 4 points, Yogurt 2 points
Snack: banana, hot choc 2 points
Dinner: chicken and veg curry -10 points
Chocolate - 4 points

Yawn.

SolitudeSometimesIs Thu 06-Mar-14 10:29:31

I'm reluctant to have any chocolate in the house to be honest, my self-control is rather lacking at the moment. I'm just trying to keep myself busy, sadly that's mostly with housework. My meal planner is fairly sad looking aswell, although we're going out for dinner on Saturday night so I need to save my 49 points for that. There's a good bit on the menu that I can eat, as in it seems fairly low in points but I never know how much oil/butter they use, so it's safer to just put the 49 aside for them.

How are you holding up? Are you hungry yet? It's because we know we can't eat isn't it. Do you find that you pick at your son's food, I've noticed myself doing this alot recently, lots of hidden points I haven't been counting.

My menu yesterday was:

3x quorn sausages - 6 points.
2x coffee - 4 points.
2x cuppa soups - 2 points.
Wrap with houmous and salad - 8 points.
Quorn fillet with half a ton of roast veg - 6 points.
1x hot choc - 1 point.

That's 27 points, but there's naff all worth eating for 2 points.

I was looking on the app store and there's an app you can download that is for weight watchers, you snap a photo of the barcode of the product and the app works out how many points are in it. It only costs a few euros so I think I'm going to get it. It might make shopping easier when I'm trying to work out what's worth buying. I'll try and find the name of it, or put a link up to it here so you can take a look.

NewChoos Thu 06-Mar-14 19:25:37

Sol - I have to confess I have not been strictly pointing so far this week, I am eating healthily though. Tomorrow, I am taking Little and Tiny to see Peppa Pis, I am not sure what healthy choices there will be for lunch, so I reverting back to a Saturday weigh in but won't bother again this week as I was the same yesterday. I have got to stop this half hearted approach otherwise I won't lose the stone for Easter.
So, I would like to lose 7 lbs in time for Little's birthday bash.
A stone by Easter and then another half a stone for a wedding we are going to at the end of June. I will then reassess.
I just can't be on this diet for another 2 years (although to be fair we both did have another baby in this time).

That app sounds good. Are you going somewhere nice Saturday?

NewChoos Thu 06-Mar-14 19:26:00

pig not pis!

SolitudeSometimesIs Thu 06-Mar-14 22:38:14

Oh Choos I just spat diet coke all over my computer at Peppa Pis. That's hilarious.

As for food, they surely serve a selection of pork based products?

SolitudeSometimesIs Fri 07-Mar-14 11:38:00

So yesterday was another day of being hungry and slightly resentful of people enjoying nice food. Today isn't getting off to a better start to be honest. I'm getting headaches from being hungry but I think they will pass. I managed to get out for a walk with the kids yesterday so I managed a bit of exercise and we have plans to head out again today, we just need to get our acts together.

My food plan was pretty shocking yesterday:
Coffee and 3 x quorn sausages - 8 points.
Rice Krispie square - 3 points.
Curly Wurly - 3 points.
Options - 1 point.
Cuppa Soup - 1 point.
1 portion of quorn pieces - 1 point.
10g of cous cous - 10 points.
Oil, veg, herbs and spices - 1 point.

So much sugar!

I'm afraid you do need to start pointing and sticking to the plan, otherwise you are going to stay in your cycle of dieting for a bit - losing some weight - falling off the wagon - getting annoyed and frustrated. I know this cycle. I've been in it since I had DS1 (and if I'm perfectly honest I have been trapped in it for years) and it just ebbs away at any self-confidence I had. But I'm not having it anymore. I need to take responsability and stop feeling shit about myself. There's very little in my life I can change at the moment so I'm going to work on myself.

Right, that's my stern talking to given.

Did you have a good day at Peppa Pig land? It actually sounds like hell, you are a very good Mother for taking your kids. I may have lied and told DS1 that the ad for Peppa Pig land was an announcement that they're just going to build one <bad Mum emoticon>.

NewChoos Fri 07-Mar-14 18:50:03

Sol you are so right. I was reading some of the beginning of the thread last night and my excuses are just so embarrassing! I have just got to be strict for a few months and then it will be done with! I too have been on and off a diet since I was about 15. Thanks for the talking to smile

We went to see Peppa pigs big splash at the theatre. DS really enjoyed it. It was a bit of a juggle with them both but I am so chuffed, I drove there, parked (directions and parking are always stressful for me) and managed lunch with them both before the show. I know it's sounds silly, but it's a real confidence boost for me. I do sometimes find managing them both a bit tricky..!

You are doing so well. The weather seems better so going out for walks will be more attractive. GP's here tomorrow, I will need chocolate and wine in the evening. Soup for lunch it is!

NewChoos Fri 07-Mar-14 18:53:47

oh, we had hummus, pita and salad for lunch, there was no hog roast in sight!

SolitudeSometimesIs Sat 08-Mar-14 14:41:37

I was afraid I'd come on here and you'd be telling me to stop being such a cow. I think I'm just in a head space now where I want to see the end of being over weight and get on with living now. I know you mightn't be there yet, I feel quite selfish about feeling this way but I'm so sick of putting everyone elses needs first and me huffing around feeling terrible about myself.

That's great that you managed the two of them by yourself, it's bloody hard work having 2 little kids especially when you head out on your own. I have to admit that I haven't gone too far with the two children, we've stayed local as it can be a bit of a military operation to get out of the house.

Have to say I'm slightly sad that there was no hog roast, the theatre really missed a trick with that one. What's the show like?

Enjoy your wine and chocolate, you sound like you'll need it. It's my first night leaving the kids tonight. Dh is driving me mad saying that I won't go out because I'm too controlling about the kids. He underestimates my desire for tasty food that I haven't had to cook and won't have to wash up after.

SolitudeSometimesIs Sun 09-Mar-14 16:22:36

<KABOOM!!!>

That was the noise of my points exploding after dinner last night. It turned out that the menu I saw during the week was different from the one they're serving at the moment. The food was amazing but really fattening. I had wine too so Lord knows how many points I consumed. Anyway, I'm going to have to watch my points for the rest of the week to make sure I'm not gaining weight this week.

NewChoos Mon 10-Mar-14 07:33:33

Just blank Saturday form your mind - anyway, it will have fooled your body to think it's not a diet, you'll probably lose loads this week!

So, I was really good yesterday, I am drawing a line under all the procrastinating and so this is another week 1 smile
Going to weight in on Sunday. I'm pretty hungry but hoping to be used to it by day +4.

Hope you had a nice weekend?

SolitudeSometimesIs Mon 10-Mar-14 10:21:26

Ok Choos - here we go!

<Rocky music swells in the background and I don my motivational speaker headset and prance around looking like one of those enthusiastic Americans>

This isn't ANOTHER week 1. This IS THE ONLY week 1.

From today you will be in the right frame of mind to lose weight. You will count your points and if you go over you will deduct them from your weeklies. The goal is to lose one pound per week - anything over that is a bonus. If you gain weight you will be made do 400 push ups / push ups until your arms fall off (this may not be true and will be almost impossible to enforce).

Stop feeling so bad about yourself, every little overeat or STS isn't a failure, it just means you need to re-boot the plan and CONTINUE. It's really bloody hard having two kids and trying to diet. And you're doing it while breast feeding! You need to give yourself a break, you must be exhausted.

Dieting is really difficult and boring and unfair, but it has to be otherwise we'd never be skinny. So our short term goals are 1 lb weight loss per week, every single week. And to try and get out every day or so to get a change of scenary and maybe some exercise.

<The music dies down and I throw my head set at Choos, who contemplates strangling me with it.>

I weighed myself today with regards to doing some damage limitation. And I'm 3 lbs lighter! Today isn't weigh in day, that's Wednesday, but it has given me some incentive. My weekend has revolved around food I can eat on the run, DS 1 has a raging ear infection so we've been flitting between doctor's and chemists as well as keeping a very close eye on him. I'm absolutely knackered and need more coffee.

I'm also having to stop myself thinking "Oh well, I've lost 3 lbs, I can have some biscuits". I have a hunger demon in my head trying to lead me astray.

NewChoos Mon 10-Mar-14 20:32:38

grin

You are so funny. I am absolutely loving that this is week 1 (we will also be having a new thread soon!!). I think you could be one of the army motivational exercise types, you know the ones that yell at you while running round a field (there is actually an exercise group like this that goes to a park near here, full of 30/40 year old women!).

The only thing I slightly disagree with is the lb a week, I want it to be faster, but I know you are being realistic. I will try and go with your flow.

Well done on your 3lbs. I'm looking forward to writing to our weekly stats.
Poor DS, what antibiotics is he on? Little had lots of ear infections and ended up having grommets, which improved things a lot (touch wood).
Hope you are getting some rest and are not too starving.

Thanks for being so upbeat and keeping me going x

SolitudeSometimesIs Tue 11-Mar-14 13:08:20

Have we picked a new name for the new thread? We should decide soon.

Would it be wrong if I'm one of the army motivational drill sargents who sits in a hammock roaring at the poor people who I'm making run up and down (perhaps I could be sipping a cosmo while doing it). I could never do one of those bootcamp style exercise classes, I'd be too self conscious about people seeing me.

DS is on penecillan, it's revolting. So I've bought chocolate that he can have if he takes his medicine nicely. The temptation to eat his chocolate is overwhelming. How long was it before your DS got grommets? Is it to do with the amount of ear infections or how bad they are?

I know you want to lose more than 1 lb per week but I think that leaves us open for all sorts of disappointment if we don't lose 3 lbs per week. I just want it to be coming off. I went out for a walk today while DS1 was in school so it's sme exercise at least.

My meal plan for today is:
Eggs: 3 pp
Coffee: 2 pp
Quorn salad with hummous: 6 pp
Cuppa soup: 1 pp
Snax: 1 pp
Veggie cous cous: 10 pp.

That leaves me with 3 pp for a coffee or something later. How exciting.

NewChoos Tue 11-Mar-14 15:52:02

Yes drinking cosmo and barking order is the way to go smile

Well. He had pretty much constant infections for about 6 months which weren't clearing with anti bionics. Did they swab the ear and tell you what the infection is? If non specific, Azithromycin is a much better tolerated anti biotic for children and they only have to have it once a day.
we had a ENT referral and they advised the grommets, we were really happy to do this after the constant infections and also his speech was slow.

I just had a couple of mini eggs (ok 3) and so I'm not having the soup I planned to have mid afternoon - carrot sticks instead.

SolitudeSometimesIs Tue 11-Mar-14 16:17:44

Poor Little Choos, that sounds dreadful. DS1 is pretty good about the medicine, but he's feelinga bit tired. The doctor said he must be in agony because the drum is very close to perforating, but he hasn't complained once, he has just been a little cranky and had a temp.

I had some mini egg things too. i just pointed them as squares of chocolate and added them to my list of dailies. I am feeling wrecked after my walk this morning, I am so bloody unfit. There are 2 small hills on my route and I can feel the effect in my calves this afternoon.

What's for ww dinner in the Choos house? I'm getting a bit repetetive with my meals, I need inspiration. I made a really nice fake caeser salad today. It was dead easy. I just used low fat hummous instead of cream sauce and it gave a similar creamy taste (and replaced the chicken with 2 quorn fillets), twas delish.

NewChoos Tue 11-Mar-14 19:21:38

Oh bless him - hope he's better soon. LittleChoos perforated but honestly he wasn't even that cranky either. Children are so stoical.

I am having chicken salad. Chicken and salad or veg feature a lot. I need to think up some interesting ideas too. How many points are hummus?

5 posts until new title.. How about new mum still seeking new body - this time we'll do it/ or this christmas….

SolitudeSometimesIs Wed 12-Mar-14 14:36:48

Woo-hoo.

Weigh in day went well. I'm 3.5 lbs down. Yay!

I went out to do the grocery shopping today and bought lots of salad stuff to keep the momentum going. I went out for a walk too and I'm about to bring the kids out now. Feeling much better about myself today, I think it's the fresh air that's doing it. Having said that though my house is a bit of a tip because I'm out of the house in the morning (I'm eyeing a huge pile of laundry).

Are you doing a weigh in today?

Hummous is 2 points per tablespoon - but that's low fat hummous. I think the full fat version is 4. Cuppa Soups are only 1 pp and very handy to stave off hunger. There's a few other things that are low points and dead handy to have around, but I can't remember what any of them are. I'll go and find my little notepad that I wrote them all down in.

I know what you mean about food repetition. It gets very boring very quickly. And I just don't have much time to spend ages putting meals together.

NewChoos Wed 12-Mar-14 14:45:50

Yay well done <sounds of cheering>

My weigh in is Sunday as I procrastinated ate chocolate for a few days smile

SolitudeSometimesIs Thu 13-Mar-14 11:27:50

I think we'll go with your new thread title.

I was so hungry today at the shop but I bought formula and quorn pieces, that was it. I stayed away from the chocolate lane because I don't trust myself.

I was really hungry last night and DH said I should stop doing weight watchers as he thinks I look lovely and if I'm hungry I should eat. And that's when it occured to me that he thinks I'm doing it for him. He's so sweet but so wrong. It's for me! I want to be skinny for me!

NewChoos Thu 13-Mar-14 11:43:04

I'll leave you to do the honours with the new thread title smile

I don't think it's ok that you are so hungry. How about making some no points soup (know it's boring).

That's so sweet of your DH.

After your talking to I ma completely in the zone, we will be skinny!

SolitudeSometimesIs Thu 13-Mar-14 12:19:41

OOOOOhhhhh. Last post. Bye bye excuse filled fat me.

See you on the next thread Choos.

It might be a while to set it up. DS2 is being a monkey bum today.

This thread is not accepting new messages.