New Mum seeking new body by Christmas!

(1000 Posts)
CoraBear Mon 24-Oct-11 12:18:43

My baby boy is 6 months old and I am quite overweight. Ok, I'm alot overweight (takes deep breath) I'm 15 stone. At 5 ft 7 this is waaay to much. I am sitting here in the one pair of trousers that fit me and my DP's tee shirt because none of my tops fit properly. Basically my stomach looks like a deflated paddling pool and my thighs are so big that I'm fairly sure that if I sit down too much longer they will burst open.

After I had the baby I took the very grown up approach to weight loss and I hoped that if I ignored the problem it would go away and somehow I would have a body like posh spice-because all new mothers lose all the weight instantly don't they? Turns out they don't, and surviving on mini aero's didn't help. I weigh more now than when I gave birth.

I have a serious lack of motivation but I decided to see if I could lose some pounds before Christmas, as I'll be seeing people I haven't seen since I was pregnant and want to look casually fabulous. So are any of you interested in holding my hand, kicking my arse and generally helping each other to stay on track? I really want to do this but I know if I'm not answerable to others my resolve will slip.

I have my first weight watchers meeting tomorrow, which I'm dreading as it will mean that the leader will weigh me and know what a tubby fecker I am. So, if any of you weight watcher followers or followers of other plans would like to come and join me and share stories of jogging up and down while eating maltesers so the points are being eaten and burned off simultaneously or just have a rant about how unfair the world is when you're hungry, you are welcome.

Right, I'm off to remove all the biscuits, chocolate and sweets from my house before tomorrow. That's right, when I say "remove" I do of course mean "eat them".

Shootingstarsandcomets Wed 20-Nov-13 22:08:10

Serious fail.....had my soup at 8 then a leftover bowl of dh's curry. Grrrrrrr. Try again tomorrow!

SolitudeSometimesIs Fri 22-Nov-13 20:41:11

Skinny soups are gorgeous Shooting. That sound like a good comprimise on the 5:2 diet. I wouldn't worry about having a top up curry, surely that's the beauty of your diet, you can do your soup day the following day. I know it's probably wrong to ask, but what sort of curry was it? I'm having massive curry cravings at the moment so I NEED to know.

Are you using your full allowance of points per week Choos? You mightn't be going too far over if you're not eating all your dailies or your extra bonus points. I always found that if I was really avoiding anything sweet, I would scoff bars of chocolate. What day is your weigh in?

I weighed myself today. I have put on just under a stone so far. My weight's stayed the same for the last while, I think I'll have to keep a close eye on it due to the pains in my back. My scan gave my baby's weight as 5 and a half pounds at 34 weeks. He'll be the size of a toddler when he/she puts in an appearance.

The never ending story of my ailments is that I have developed SPD and the baby is fully engaged. I am John Wayne-ing around in agony and I'm swinging between tearful and angry. I was offered paracetamol for pain relief - a kitten licking my back would be a better painkiller - and physio so I'll have to see how that goes.

Shootingstarsandcomets Sat 23-Nov-13 01:42:08

Sympathies solitude I've not had it but understand spd is really painful.
For your curry fix it was a small amount of aloo gobi. He'd eaten all the lamb! The skinny soups are delicious, hard to believe they are so low calorie. Had another today for lunch.
Think I stayed the same weight for the last month of pregnancy. No idea how as baby grew alarmingly large! Are you 34 weeks now? Your little one could almost come anytime now..........!

SolitudeSometimesIs Sat 23-Nov-13 13:17:16

Thanks shooting, it is fairly dreadful. I get all my stuff (clean the house, shopping, laundry etc.) done in the morning as it gets progressively worse as the day wears on. I read on here to avoid having a bath to ease it though as loads of women get stuck in the bath and it's agony. My first instinct was that a bath would ease it, so glad I didn't try it.

Mmmm curry. I don't blame you for having to have some. By the sounds of it you only had some sauce and a bit of veg, that's not much. Have you weighed yourself since you started your soup swap diet? That's amazing that you didn't put on any weight in the last month of your pregnancy, that's what I'm aiming for.

I'm 34 weeks now. Just waiting for labour to start, it's like waiting to be shot grin

Shootingstarsandcomets Sat 23-Nov-13 18:54:00

Next weigh in is Monday. Hoping to have lost my target two lbs.
can't believe your still doing housework with spd. Hope you have lots of help.
I have a friend who is about 34 weeks pregnant now- are you a new year due date? Could end up being an early Christmas present!

SolitudeSometimesIs Sun 24-Nov-13 11:52:33

A Monday weigh in? You mad woman. What if you fancy eating a lot of crap over the weekend (I know I'm missing the point of dieting entirely). I used to do weigh in's on a Tuesday so I could do some post-weekend damage control on a Monday!

Let us know how you get on with your weigh in? You sound so determined I'm sure you'll reach your target.

I am due on New Years Day. I have to do the housework, I'm not as efficient as I used to be but I'm getting through it. My DH works really long hours, nearly 7 days a week at the moment (he's self-employed, this is his busy time of year) so I can't ask him to do any housework. He doesn't finish work 'til midnight most days, it'd be a bit unfair to ask him to sort laundry at that stage. I have no real help, MIL and SIL mided DS last week while I was at the doctors but the house was trashed and there was dirty dishes everywhere by the time they left - we have a dishwasher but they piled the dishes in the sink instead of using it, I can't really bend easily to do the dishwasher so it pissed me off no end. Never again!

Shootingstarsandcomets Sun 24-Nov-13 19:12:54

She's due on New Year's Day too!!
Monday probably is a stupid day for weighing you're right! DH is downstairs doing roast pork whilst I attempt to get this baby to sleep. It's not working!! Going to give up soon and retreat downstairs for some wine!

Shootingstarsandcomets Mon 25-Nov-13 14:38:06

I lost 2lbs! Was hoping for more but perhaps that's a bit greedy.........

SolitudeSometimesIs Mon 25-Nov-13 16:48:01

Congratulations on your weight loss shooting, that's really brilliant. A 2 lb loss while still having wine and decent food is the way to go I think. And it's Monday! I hope you're proud of your achievements. Are you going to stick with the soup plan again this week?

I made cinnamon Christmas cookies with DS and have been steadily making my way through them. They are really tasty. I deliberately didn't buy biscuits so I couldn't eat them, but then I went and made them...damn.

Shootingstarsandcomets Tue 26-Nov-13 02:54:03

Cinnamon cookies sound lovely. Definitely sticking with soups. It really wasn't so bad and I'm very pleased with 2lb. Hopefully it will continue.....

NewChoos Tue 26-Nov-13 12:26:59

Quick post from me, I lost a lb this week but only really stuck to my points on 3 days so it could have been worse.

Hope all well Solitude and you are getting some rest, that's amazing that you have put on less than a stone. I want a cinnamon cookie.
Well done on your 2lbs shooting.

SolitudeSometimesIs Wed 27-Nov-13 10:54:00

Choos that's a good weight loss considering you only stuck to your points for three days. Did you do a Monday weigh in too?

You're both doing really well. I'm jealous of you're weight loss. Think how hot you'll both look for Christmas - whereas I will resemble Santa grin

I'm on sofa/bed rest at the moment, I have been getting 3 hours sleep per night due to SPD. I can't stop eating shitty food, it's so annoying. I've started operation "Let's evict the baby", I'm too tired and in too much pain to do this for too much longer. But I'm 35 weeks today - yay! An end is in sight.

Shootingstarsandcomets Thu 28-Nov-13 06:49:48

Well done choos
Solitude it sounds awful but at least you are very near the end. Was your first early? My first was 36 weeks and my second one day before due date.
I know its early days but I looked in the mirror last night and got a bit depressed. I know I'm losing the weight but my body is still a wreck, horrid wobbly tummy. Have a holiday booked for May next year so hopefully enough time to repair the damage, no way could I put on a bikini in this state.

SolitudeSometimesIs Thu 28-Nov-13 11:28:52

You have a tiny baby, of course your body is still under repair - especially as it's your second baby. Maybe in the New Year you could get out for a walk or go to an excercise class once the weather perks up a bit. Where have you booked a holiday to? At least it's something to look forward to.

Have you tried one of those belly bandits? I was looking at them online and was wondering if they worked. I'm fairly sure all post maternity wraps are similar, they vary alot in price. I also wondered if they would be good for back support. Tbh I'm just looking for any short cut that might help me after the baby comes.

My son was 8 days late and ended up being an emergency c-section. I have a dreadful feeling that this baby will be overdue, I'll still be waddling around in mid-January. I would love for him or her to arrive at 38 weeks, I've really had enough now.

Shootingstarsandcomets Thu 28-Nov-13 19:22:09

The last few weeks are so tough. Fingers crossed you don't go over.
I'd never heard of a belly bandit. Have just googled them, think they might be ok for just afterwards but my uterus isn't swollen anymore I'm just a bit fat!!!
Going to Majorca for a wedding. Not long forward to travelling with 2 under 2 but it'll be lovely once we are there.
Soup night tonight........

glowgirl Sun 01-Dec-13 17:38:03

My daughter lost her baby weight by taking Formula 3 from this site amiweightloss.com, I took Formula 2 in the summer as a quick fix but it worked so well I've stuck with it and have now lost over 2 stone, good luck smile

NewChoos Sun 01-Dec-13 21:07:52

Hope everyone had a good weekend, we have colds and disrupted nights all week in the Choo house, diet on hold. Am sure I will have gained. I normally do a Tuesday weigh in, will avoid! Maybe aim for Friday.
How are you feeling Solitude, hope you have managed to rest. Also hope you don't go overdue…
Well done on your 2lbs shooting.
Hope you are well SayHello.
Glowgirl - not heard of that before, good weight loss for you!

SolitudeSometimesIs Mon 02-Dec-13 13:44:05

shooting Majorca sounds lovely. Can you divide and conquer with the kids? Your DP takes one and you take the other. We took DS on his first flight during the summer, it was great. Just made sure there was lots of food for him and brought the laptop so he could watch endless episodes of Postman Pat. The effort will be worth it when you're splashing about in the pool. How goes your soup diet?

Choos you sound like you're having a hard time of it. I hope you're all feeling a bit better. I think postponing the weigh in is a good idea. You can get back on track when everyone is feeling a bit better. Being hungry AND tired is never a good combination.

I have been diagnosed with Polyhydramnios - too much fluid around the baby - my bump is frickin huge. I plan on measuring it tonight so I'll let you know my circumference and you can all feel a bit better about your own waistlines grin.

I won't be allowed go overdue so I have less than a month to go - woohoo! This pregnancy has been very stressful with lots of complications, I can't wait to have the baby. To help control the fluid, I have been advised to reduce my sugar intake, so I'm following a low sugar diet. The one time I can eat what I like I'm being restricted. BOO!

NewChoos Mon 02-Dec-13 14:02:08

Oh Solitude you poor thing, I had the too much fluid thing with DS, I had a section at 38 weeks, they didn't think I should go any further and neither did I, I just wanted the baby out!!!
Have you decided to have a section?

We're ok but vv tired and I am finding trying to diet hard, I am so cross with myself. I hope to lose at least half a stone before we go away and then another stone when I get back. I guess I just have to think it's going to take longer than I had hoped.

SolitudeSometimesIs Mon 02-Dec-13 14:24:23

Don't be so hard on yourself Choos. It's hard to focus on anything when you and the entire household are sick And I'm convinced that lack of sleep kick starts a cycle of bad food choices that are hard to break because you crave sugar to keep your energy up.

Take a week off, step away from the scales and just focus on getting better. You're unlikely to lose much this week if your eating habits have changed so just leave it and work on it next week, you're just giving yourself something else to stress over. And if you did lose weight this week, it'll still be gone next week when you weigh in after you start dieting again.

My doc refused to discuss any birth options with me on Friday - she is a thundering cowbag - she made it clear she thought I was an idiot for not knowing anything about this condition (I don't even know how to pronounce it). I'm going to complain about her because she said I had polyhydramnios, that my baby probably had a problem with his/her digestive tract and would need an operation shortly after birth, then had her minion hustle me out of the door and close the door on me.

I cried in the car all the way home. But I've done some research and found out that it doesn't automatically mean my baby is sick and that he might just be a big bugger. I'm not keen on going overdue, 38 weks would be the 20th of December so I'd be cutting it fine for Christmas. I wouldn't mind being induced if it meant I could get home before the 25th. I look like I'm about to pop, my stomach is huge, the rest of me looks quite normal bar a bit of preggy fat face.

NewChoos Mon 02-Dec-13 14:34:26

I am fuming on your behalf, what a rude cow, no empathy at all. That's exactly what I had, I wasn't told the baby likely to have problems. They were worried my water would break and the placenta could come away which was why I had a section. Don't mean to alarm you, but did she discuss this with you?
Have they arranged another scan? If the baby had digestive problems, it would have been picked up at 20 week scan, all major problems can be picked up by then - our consultant was very good and went through this with us, we had a couple of extra scans due to baby measurements etc.

NewChoos Mon 02-Dec-13 14:35:41

Sorry posted too soon.
They should be doing another scan to check the fluid levels and surely they can check the abdomen of the baby again then?

SolitudeSometimesIs Mon 02-Dec-13 14:51:31

She never told me about the risks of cord prolapse or the placenta detaching, I found that out on the internet and began to panic. I even started a thread about it in "pregnancy". I just think her level of care was terrible considering I've already been admitted for early labour. She really is going to get mangled the next time I see her. I'm off to see my GP this week to have a talk with her - she's fab.

No more scans have been organised, she really didn't do anything, just got rid of me. I have been told that the baby's belly is a little big but nothing to worry about - the sonographer said it to me when I was having my placenta site scan a few weeks ago, she noticed the extra fluid.

I thought that any big problems would have been picked up, I've been scanned quite a lot. My poor brain is melted from it all. I'm not even sure if I should be taking any extra precautions, I assume I'm not allowed to use my birthing ball...Any advice Choos?

NewChoos Mon 02-Dec-13 15:09:05

She sounds rubbish, can you see anyone else instead? I can imagine how worried you are.
Obviously this is just my opinion, but it's also based on the care I received.
I would ask for a scan at 36 and 38 weeks to check the fluid levels and position of the cord (also checking how placenta is working).
I would push for delivery by 39 weeks. I had a section as I was told, once waters have break, they need to get the baby out fairly rapidly. So I decided as I was likely to end up with a section, I wouldn't bother with trying the induction.
I can't remember, have you got gestational diabetes? too much fluid and babies with big tummies are more common with GD.
If you need additional reassurance I would ask for weekly feral heart monitoring, when they put the bands on and monitory for about half an hour.
I think as you are almost 35 weeks you need to have a plan in care in place.
I would either ask your gp to intervene or I would speak to your midwife and specify this is what you want done - non negotiable and you want your requests recorded in your notes.
Let me know if I can help with anything else x

NewChoos Mon 02-Dec-13 15:10:53

feral heart monitoring not feral!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.