New Mum seeking new body by Christmas!

(1000 Posts)
CoraBear Mon 24-Oct-11 12:18:43

My baby boy is 6 months old and I am quite overweight. Ok, I'm alot overweight (takes deep breath) I'm 15 stone. At 5 ft 7 this is waaay to much. I am sitting here in the one pair of trousers that fit me and my DP's tee shirt because none of my tops fit properly. Basically my stomach looks like a deflated paddling pool and my thighs are so big that I'm fairly sure that if I sit down too much longer they will burst open.

After I had the baby I took the very grown up approach to weight loss and I hoped that if I ignored the problem it would go away and somehow I would have a body like posh spice-because all new mothers lose all the weight instantly don't they? Turns out they don't, and surviving on mini aero's didn't help. I weigh more now than when I gave birth.

I have a serious lack of motivation but I decided to see if I could lose some pounds before Christmas, as I'll be seeing people I haven't seen since I was pregnant and want to look casually fabulous. So are any of you interested in holding my hand, kicking my arse and generally helping each other to stay on track? I really want to do this but I know if I'm not answerable to others my resolve will slip.

I have my first weight watchers meeting tomorrow, which I'm dreading as it will mean that the leader will weigh me and know what a tubby fecker I am. So, if any of you weight watcher followers or followers of other plans would like to come and join me and share stories of jogging up and down while eating maltesers so the points are being eaten and burned off simultaneously or just have a rant about how unfair the world is when you're hungry, you are welcome.

Right, I'm off to remove all the biscuits, chocolate and sweets from my house before tomorrow. That's right, when I say "remove" I do of course mean "eat them".

SolitudeSometimesIs Mon 04-Nov-13 22:56:45

My baby is breech. Wedged up underneath my ribs, wearing my internal organs as a hat. I tried a few exercises and tricks to get the baby to move around last night - I have a thread about it in Pregnancy - it did not end well and I started getting contractions and really bad pains. I don't plan on trying to do anymore.

I was made think that having a vbac was the best idea what with having a toddler and all, but in reflection there's always healing post-birth so I could end up in bits whichever way I end up having the baby.

The obs that I saw was anxious about the fact that my scar is so sore, she was telling me to go in to the hospital if it gets so bad again, due to the risk of rupturing. I have to go for a scan in two weeeks to see what way the baby - who is apparently very big - is lying. The week after i have a meeting with the obs team and we'll discuss what sort of a birth I'll be having.

How's all in Casa Choos? Is your Husband still man-fluing it up? I hope the rest of you haven't caught it.

NewChoos Tue 05-Nov-13 16:58:59

Solitude we are twins in another life.
DD was the same - I was told natural birth would be very difficult and painful. She was hard to deliver even with a section. Sorry short post, will try and catch up tomorrow. I think you should think about a section, I was worried re having a toddler etc too but you will manage, most important thing is yours and baby's good health. If they are worried re rupture, even more reason to have a section.

SolitudeSometimesIs Tue 05-Nov-13 20:35:40

Choos, it's all getting a bit Parent Trap. We've a lot in common.

I haven't even entertained the thought of a vb with a breech baby, I googled what that would look like, EEEEKKKKKK!!!! Feet hanging out of places they have no business being, it was terrifying. I on board with a CS if the baby doesn't move.

Did you try any of the tricks to spin the baby around.

NewChoos Tue 05-Nov-13 21:10:23

It's spooky!!!

Well they weren't sure of her position, she was breech at 34 weeks and turned by 38 weeks but I thought she had gone breech again, her heartbeat was very high but they didn't scan me again (in hindsight I should have pushed for this). On morning of section they realised her position was tucked under ribs. I also had antibodies & GD etc etc so all in all a section was right for me.
I didn't try any of the turning tricks, DS was breech, considered it then but read too much about it I think and was concerned re risks.

Recovery wise I tried not to lift LlittleChoos but it was impossible not to really. I cuddled him a lot sitting down, I did take things a bit easier but did light housework for example from discharge really. I probably should have taken things easier but I like doing things (again in hindsight I should have taken advantage of having an excuse not to dash around and lounged on the sofa eating chocolate while watching box sets). The reality was I was at the zoo 5 days post section!!
My scar is ok. I felt uncomfortable for about a week ish. I do get more backache now but I haven't done the exercises (must to them, it's not too late!).

SolitudeSometimesIs Sat 09-Nov-13 12:47:09

You were in the zoo 5 days post-cs?!?!? Are you insane?!?!?!?!

I have the baby under my ribs too, so uncomfortable!

I think I would be the same as you, doing housework and stuff that needs to be done because I hate mess and I'd rather just get it over and done with. My DH would probably be around for a week or so, but he is self-employed so if there's something urgent happening in work he has to sort it. I just know I'll wear myself out.

Did you have much outside help? Friends, family etc.? I was all alone 6 days a week after DS was born because my Mum was too ill to help (cancer), my Dad was looking after her and my in-laws were fucking useless (still bitter about it)but whinged that the never saw DS. I was really self-sufficient but it left me very resentful of people dropping in to "help" and then doing things arse-ways.

Sorry this has turned in to a rant. Everyone has been doing the empty promises of offering to help once DC2 arrives and can't understand why I don't believe them.

SolitudeSometimesIs Sat 09-Nov-13 12:48:52

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: how goes weight watchers?

I got my books out this week and was having a nosey through them looking for meal ideas. My portion sizes are still ok by weight watcher standards, it's just I'm having a lot more meals per day grin

NewChoos Sat 09-Nov-13 20:15:10

Yes I may be a bit insane, but I wanted to do something nice for LittleChoos.
I hate mess too and just can't relax if things need doing. We have got a cleaner now 2 hours a week but I still find loads that needs to be done.

DH was off for 2 weeks other than that I had no help at all. It was hard going, LittleChoos wanted to be carried a lot which I had to try and avoid but found difficult.
Honestly, you can''t rely on people to help, I totally agree, people said they would but it just didn't happen. I actually found having people round worse as I seemed to end up making drinks and snacks!!!!
Sorry to hear about your mum, hope she is better now?

Weightwatchers: been rubbish for past 3 weeks, trying to get back on it. I need to think about how I will fell on holiday if I don't lose at least a stone...

SolitudeSometimesIs Sat 09-Nov-13 20:58:15

Where are you off to on holiday? Would a small goal - say 7 lbs by Christmas - be less scary? Or sticking to weight watchers during the week and relaxing a little at weekends? I used to stick to the daily points (not bothering with treat points) and then kick back a little on Saturdays and Sundays.

I'm dealing with a pretty hardcore addiction to clove rock sweets at the moment so I'm probably not the one to be doling out diet advice. I even keep an old tub in the car to sniff when I'm out and about and can't get my hands on any. It's actually quite mortifying but it's been my constant craving throughout this pregnancy - and it doesn't give me heartburn!

My Mum's feeling better, but still under going treatment. She was very upset that she couldn't be more involved the last time but she needed to take care of herself. Others promised all of the help in the world but never showed up on the day. That really cheesed me off.

NewChoos Sat 09-Nov-13 22:05:24

That's so stressful Solitude, wishing your mum and you all the best.

I don't know what Clove rock sweets are but I think you have been really sensible. Hopefully you won't have too much to lose.

Can understand how you feel, my sisters promised to help but did nothing, in fact I really dislike having one round as she just looks me up and down and makes unhelpful comments, she is vv jealous though and difficult (difficult relationship, long story).

Yes, that's a good idea, maybe 7lbs before Christmas and try and do a few more afterwards. I just get bored of it and have a really sweet tooth. We are going to Florida for 2 weeks, not sure what the journey will be like with Little and Tiny...

Shootingstarsandcomets Sun 10-Nov-13 06:14:31

Can I join you all please? I'd like a new body?!
Currently have a 3 week old asleep on me and a 14 month old toddler. Recovering from a second section and desperate to lose baby weight but can't exercise yet- aaaargh.
I'd like to lose 10lbs before Christmas- is that unrealistic do you think?
Will try and catch up on the thread now.

NewChoos Sun 10-Nov-13 07:02:57

Welcome Shooting. 10lbs seems achievable to me, in fact I'll join you! However, 3 weeks is so early so I do think you need to be easy on yourself.
Just weighed myself, I am 12stone 1lb. So have 2 stone to lose in total. Have lost 7lb so far.

Congratulation on the baby. Hope you are getting lots of help with your toddler.

SolitudeSometimesIs Sun 10-Nov-13 11:34:47

Yay Choos!

7 lbs is fantastic considering you weren't really sticking to it. Maybe you should cut yourself some slack, you're doing really well and I think the 7 lbs by Christmas is a good goal. It's not hugely scary and is achievable. When are you off on holiday?

Hi Shooting! Pull up a seat and join in the annoyance that is losing baby weight. Have you a goal weight in mind or are you focusing on the first 10 lbs? Are you following a plan or going for healthy eating? You must be so busy with a 3 week old and a toddler, that'll be me in a few weeks so any survival tips you have to share are welcome.

Clove rock is the delicious work of the devil - avoid avoid avoid!!!

I haven't been able to exercise as such, the baby is so low and I'm so uncomfortable but I have been busy with every day stuff. I haven't had a takeaway in 2 weeks, I was getting in to a really bad X Factor and takeaway habit, and I'm trying to make healthier food choices, but the fat girl part of my brain is saying "Eat crap, you're going to get fat anyway. It's your last chance to eat what you want!"

My inner fat girl is a bitch.

SolitudeSometimesIs Sun 10-Nov-13 11:36:19

Oh, and in slightly inspiring us to stick to diets news: It's 45 days to Christmas!

We only have 45 days to lose a few pounds. AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Shootingstarsandcomets Sun 10-Nov-13 18:58:40

Thanks ladies! solitude 10lbs is what I need to lose to be back to pre pregnancy weight. I know its early to lose weight but none of my clothes fit and I'm loathe to buy new ones in a different size so I'm living in leggings and a few baggy jumpers.
I have no plan....cutting out cake and junk and trying to be healthy but that's hard when you have no time to cook anything healthy. Having said that some days I am so busy I don't have time to eat!
How old will your toddler be? My only advice would be to accept all offers of help. It's hard!

NewChoos Sun 10-Nov-13 19:52:12

10lb to get back to your pre pregnancy weight? Wow - really, I am sure you will be there in no time. I am in awe….how much did you gain in total?

Solitude you make me laugh - lets all kill our inner fat bitches!

SolitudeSometimesIs Sun 10-Nov-13 21:31:29

10 lbs! I bow down to your self control. I dread to think how much I weigh, I need to step up on the scales tomorrow.

Not buying new clothes is a good idea. You should be back looking fab in no time. Can you manage to get out and about for a walk or anything? Just some really gentle exercise.

Decided to kill my inner fat bitch with onion ring crisp things. My rationale (coz preggy lady rationale is always balanced) is that I can't starve my inner fat bitch to death because she will just get angrier, so I'm going to give her diabetes, let her fall in to a diabetic coma and then get rid of her. Told you it was scary preggy lady logic.

Shootingstarsandcomets Mon 11-Nov-13 01:59:55

Ha ha that made me laugh! Pregnancy makes you eat badly. I was addicted to cake and biscuits with both mine and you can't starve the baby!
I try and get out everyday with the buggy. It's so heavy with them both in I thought I'd have been super fit by now! My total weight gain was 33lbs so I know I've lost loads already considering baby is only 3 weeks but this happened last time I lose loads quickly and then the last stone or so just is so hard to shift.
I need to get rid of the cake and biscuits in the house but can't throw out good food so am just having one tiny treat a day!

SayHelloToMyLittleFriend Thu 14-Nov-13 17:42:00

Hi everyone, sorry I've been so rubbish at posting. How are you all getting on?

Wow shootingstars that's really good you've lost all that weight already. My "baby" has just turned 2 and I still have half a stone to lose :P

Rabs27 Fri 15-Nov-13 09:13:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

SolitudeSometimesIs Sun 17-Nov-13 20:50:43

Hi all,

how goes everything? Are you all well? Wonder why Rabs was deleted, did I miss something controversial or was it someone trying to flog us diet pills?

I've spent the last few days in hospital, teeny Solitude decided to try and make a break for it, so I ended up in hospital trying to stall the contractions. 'Twas very scary, but I'm hoping he/she will stay put for a few more weeks. I'm at home on bed rest at the moment - which doesn't happen much with a toddler - so I'm really taking it easy.

I initially went to the doctor because I thought I had a kidney infection and that was what was causing all the pain. Felt crap for not realising they were contractions. Feeling really unwell, I quite fancy a snooze and a box of Lindor.

SolitudeSometimesIs Sun 17-Nov-13 20:53:00

Ha! Just realised that fancying scoffing a box of Lindor and a snooze is not what I should put on a weight loss thread. Ok... I really fancy a bowl of points free soup and an exercise class!

NewChoos Mon 18-Nov-13 07:24:08

Gosh solitude - you do need to take it easy. Can anyone help out a bit with DS (I know we have talked before re lack of help but surely in these circumstances…) How's things now? Think you deserve those Lindor! Anyway, it doesn't really matter when we write on this thread, I am sure I have confessed to much more (Chinese, cocktails, Baileys etc etc)

So I have weighed myself and I have lost 3lbs. I am now hoping for 1-2 lbs a week before Christmas and and then another few lbs post. Hoping to lose a stone before the holiday and then maybe another 7lbs when we get back.
How are you SayHello?
How did you get on Shooting?

SolitudeSometimesIs Mon 18-Nov-13 10:05:38

That's brilliant Choos. 3 lbs is such a lot, you'll look amazing for Christmas. 1-2 lbs is really manageable but will make such a difference over a few weeks. Are you using weight watchers still? Have you set yourself a goal weight or are you just seeing how low you can go? Well, within reason, I don't want you fading away.

I've roped everyone in to help with DS. If anyone offers I immediately give them days I need help on and get them to agree to it there and then. No one has backed out yet but I'm not taking the piss either, I genuinely need help. I'm still having "tightenings" as the midwife called them - she was saying that they're proper contractions and pressure but they aren' strong enough to register as contractions on the trace. Apparently they only register as contractions if they go under 5 on the machines graph, mine are only going to 5 - so they don't count. They bloody hurt though.

NewChoos Wed 20-Nov-13 14:02:16

I can't stop scoffing chocolate - there I said it! Need to think of next weeks weigh in…. want to have lost another 2lbs.

I am doing weight watchers (when sticking to it). I would like to be 9 stone 12 but this may be unrealistic (was last this weight about 8 years ago). So I would settle for around 10 1/2 stone.

How are you feeling now Solitude? Hope you are still getting help. Cbebbies/dvds could also be your friend?

Shootingstarsandcomets Wed 20-Nov-13 20:23:59

Sorry been too tired to post last few days but I'm still here!
solitude sounds scary. Hope you are ok. How many weeks are you?
Bit depressed last week as did not lose anything so am on a mission this week and have a fridge stocked with those skinny soups. Twice a week I am going to eat one for lunch and dinner- a bit like the 5:2 fast diet. Will see if it makes a difference. Really want to be my target weight by Christmas.

This thread is not accepting new messages.