New Mum seeking new body by Christmas!

(1000 Posts)
CoraBear Mon 24-Oct-11 12:18:43

My baby boy is 6 months old and I am quite overweight. Ok, I'm alot overweight (takes deep breath) I'm 15 stone. At 5 ft 7 this is waaay to much. I am sitting here in the one pair of trousers that fit me and my DP's tee shirt because none of my tops fit properly. Basically my stomach looks like a deflated paddling pool and my thighs are so big that I'm fairly sure that if I sit down too much longer they will burst open.

After I had the baby I took the very grown up approach to weight loss and I hoped that if I ignored the problem it would go away and somehow I would have a body like posh spice-because all new mothers lose all the weight instantly don't they? Turns out they don't, and surviving on mini aero's didn't help. I weigh more now than when I gave birth.

I have a serious lack of motivation but I decided to see if I could lose some pounds before Christmas, as I'll be seeing people I haven't seen since I was pregnant and want to look casually fabulous. So are any of you interested in holding my hand, kicking my arse and generally helping each other to stay on track? I really want to do this but I know if I'm not answerable to others my resolve will slip.

I have my first weight watchers meeting tomorrow, which I'm dreading as it will mean that the leader will weigh me and know what a tubby fecker I am. So, if any of you weight watcher followers or followers of other plans would like to come and join me and share stories of jogging up and down while eating maltesers so the points are being eaten and burned off simultaneously or just have a rant about how unfair the world is when you're hungry, you are welcome.

Right, I'm off to remove all the biscuits, chocolate and sweets from my house before tomorrow. That's right, when I say "remove" I do of course mean "eat them".

SweetBabyCheeses Mon 08-Jul-13 14:56:50

I'll have my GP check out my ketones. The midwives I saw couldn't care less. The service isn't bad but there are hundreds of women at each appointment and really, unless you burst in to flames, they don't care. They just run through their checklist of questions and send you on your way. I'm going to a different hospital than my son and it's just so much busier. The cheek of other people, having children at the same time I decided to!

We won't be finding out the sex. I want my husband to tell me. It was something I really loved the last time (I know it probably sounds really corny).

You're on the countdown now Choos - so exciting! Little Choos might feel overwhelmed, but he'll be ok. He's young enough to adapt well to the situation.

I weighed myself and my weight loss has stopped so I'm levelling out. I've decided I'm going to do that 5:2 diet after the baby comes. I know that this will be my last baby so I want to get my body back. I won't have the excuse of another pregnancy to stay a bit chubby.

NewChoos Wed 10-Jul-13 08:00:28

Morning cheese and sayHello

Definitely ask your GP for support, I have found the midwifery services a bit hit and miss too. vv sweet re DH telling you the sex.

I feel exactly the same and in my dreams am aiming for a better body post pregnancy. We have booked a holiday for Jan and so I have something to aim for. I want to wear what I want and feel good. My plan is to set aside a couple of hours a week for general body maintenance (defusing/nails/hair etc).

They weighed me last week and I am slightly over the 2 stone weight gain during pregnancy but will have over 3 stone to lose as I never got down to my goal weight. But first I am going to eat all the cheese I couldn't and have some Prosecco!

Hope you are enjoying the sun.

SweetBabyCheeses Mon 15-Jul-13 16:05:12

Ooooh cheese and prosecco scoff-fest. Sounds bloody good to me. I miss alcohol so much - not to sound like a complete lush - but it's because the weather's so good. And to me, good weather=sitting in the garden having wine.

That's amazing that you've kept your weight gain to 2 stone. You must be really pleased that you did so well. Most of that will be baby so you won't have a big loss to try and shift. General body maintenance sounds good - though it sounds like you'll be off to a Kwik-Fit style place and they'll have you up on ramps to get to work.

I've decided that I want a body like a Pussycat Doll (as realistic as always!) after I have the baby. Though I'll be pregnant over Christmas so I may succumb to the indulgent food. God, pregnant over summer and Christmas - the most essential times to drink because you're surrounded by family!!!

NewChoos Wed 17-Jul-13 20:09:27

News!

TinyChoos was born last Thursday, she is totally gorgeous and looks just like her older brother did. I will try and post a pic when I get a chance.

Hope you are both enjoying the sun. Hope you feel better cheese

I have had some Brie but no Prosecco as of yet!

SayHelloToMyLittleFriend Thu 18-Jul-13 09:31:32

Huge congrats to you and your family Choos, that's brilliant news!! Hope you and baby are doing well and I cannot wait to see a photo.

Hope you're doing ok cheese and I think that's a lovely idea having your dh tell you the sex. I found out what I was having both times, I couldn't help myself.

SweetBabyCheeses Thu 18-Jul-13 22:32:34

Oh Choos I'm so happy for you and your family. I hope you're all well. It's such good news! I'm sure that glass of prosecco is well deserved. I know it probably doesn't feel like it to you, but I think your pregnancy flew.

How are you SayHello? Are you out enjoying the amazing weather? I am tempted to find out the sex, but I know I'd kick myself afterwards. Did you let everyone know after you found out?

I went to the GP for a preggy check up and she wasn't arsed that I was so sick or that I've hurt my throat and chest from barfing. I'm not "sick enough". I have NEVER wanted to puke in someones lap to prove a point but there came a point in my consultation with her that I really thought about it. She said I was very dehydrated and I said it was because I was sick and she said I needed to drink more. So glad she went to medical school for 5 years to come up with that pearl of wisdom [irritated to the core of my soul emoticon].

NewChoos Sat 20-Jul-13 09:15:27

Morning!
I have uploaded a pic of TinyChoos and LittleChoos. You should both be able to view I think (not very techy).

Sorry to hear about your GP experience, that's just rubbish. Not very healthy but I found full fat coke helped my nausea. How many weeks are you now?
Hope all ok with you SayHello.

I had about 2 hours sleep last night, she had been sleeping for 4 hours but last night did not settle. DH has just taken LittleChoos out to toddler football. So I am going to shower and try and make myself look presentable.
I weighed myself and have lost 8lbs...I can only think I must be retaining water!! TinyChoos weighed 6lb9....

SayHelloToMyLittleFriend Sat 20-Jul-13 19:14:12

Aww Choos your photos are lovely and your children are just beautiful. Little Choos looks like such a proud big brother holding his baby sister. Hope you're all doing well and you get a better sleep tonight.

Are you feeling any better now Cheese? I think that's terrible that your GP said you're not sick enough and yet tells you that you're very dehydrated!! Can you ask to see someone else?

I'm doing well thanks, just enjoying this sunshine smile

SweetBabyCheeses Sun 21-Jul-13 22:38:04

Oh Choos, that's such a cute photo. Little Choos looks delighted to be holding his sister. She looks so tiny, 6lb 9 oz is a good size though. I hope TinyChoos sleeps well tonight. That's the thing with tiny babies, they like to keep you on your toes. Oh you've made me all misty eyed for a newborn.

I'm feeling good thanks, I managed to have 3 meals in the last three days (with no ill effects) so I am delighted. GP's here don't take chronic vomiting seriously, I was looking on other websites and apparently I have HG. Since Kate Middleton was treated for it there has been more research done and there's lots more information online.

I'm glad you're enjoying the sun SayHello. Have you been out in the paddling pool with your kids? We've been using our old one from last year and I can't believe the hours of fun the kids are getting out of it.

SweetBabyCheeses Sat 27-Jul-13 17:25:22

Had the most bizarre "lunch" with my friend yesterday. It was bizarre for two reasons: 1- I can't really eat much except soup. 2- She's on the 5:2 diet and it was one of her diet days.

So we met up at my house, she had a cup of slim-a-soup and a cup of tea, I had a bowl of fresh soup from the shop. I'd intended to do the 5:2 diet after the baby comes, but after seeing the crazy look in her eyes whenever food drifted in to her eye line, I have changed my mind.

She is doing really well, dropping 2-3 lbs every week, and she really doesn't have alot of excess weight so she's delighted. However, she's a raving lunatic on the two days she is restricted. And she said she spends two days of the week plotting all the nice things she's going to eat on the other 5 days that for the first day or so she really pigs out. She also said lack of energy is a huge problem - she has quite a physical job.

Have either of you tried the 5:2 diet? It seems the sort of diet that would tip me over the edge. My dear friend has gone from a completely rational human to a stark raving loon on her diet days.

SayHelloToMyLittleFriend Sun 28-Jul-13 10:04:06

Haha that sounds like a funny lunch Cheese. I've never tried the 5:2 diet either although a couple of my friends are doing it at the moment. They said the first few weeks were tough and they thought about food constantly but that it gets easier. They also said that it makes you realise that you don't NEED all the extra food they were eating (like biscuits with a cup of tea etc) so it's helped them to stop pigging out. In saying that though I've not saw either of them on the two restricted days, they might not be so positive about it then!!

How are you getting on Choos?

SweetBabyCheeses Sun 28-Jul-13 18:10:45

I like the way it may retrain your thinking. It seems to be the same with weight watchers though, because I try to skim points off snacks. Honestly, she was saying all she can think about is what she will eat and then dreams about meals. Also, she ends up scarfing all of the food in her house the night before her 2 day starve and then does a huge shop full of tasty food on the evening of the second day. She said her DP is going to kill her if she throws out any of his leftovers or bans him from eating in the apartment any more.

She is sticking to it though. She devotes herself wholly to her diets a few times a year and then falls off the wagon - like a normal person. Is it bad that I choose my diets on the amount of alcohol I'm allowed?

How are you getting on SayHello? Are you managing to maintain your weight loss? I've always wondered how the hell people manage to do that long-term.

How are you Choos?

NewChoos Tue 30-Jul-13 17:15:47

Hello, hope you are both having a good week.
I don't think I'd have the stamina for the 5:2 diet and I don't want to turn into a loony.
I've weighed myself, yes I am truly an idiot. Anyway I have 2 stone, 8lbs to get to my ideal weight. Not sure if this is too optimistic though. I am going to join ww online again. Although Tinychoos bf from 0700-1300 today and I have just eaten rubbish all day.

Cheese - alcohol a good basis from which to pick a diet. I might have a prosecco tonight.

SweetBabyCheeses Tue 30-Jul-13 18:47:54

Oh Choos, I know why you had to weigh yourself, it's some sort of sick compulsion isn't it. I remember doing that and thinking "What the hell did I do that for?" 2 stone 8 lbs is very manageable - I know it doesn't seem like it now - but it really is. And your body is still in shock (the prosecco will help!) so in the next few weeks everything will settle down.

Please don't put yourself under too much pressure to get started on weight watchers; breast-feeding and exhaustion are so full on - adding hunger to the mix would send you over the edge. Especially with a toddler. What have we let ourselves in for grin.

By the way you will need to remind me of all of this when I have my baby.

NewChoos Tue 20-Aug-13 10:18:34

Morning! How is everything?

All ok in Choos house apart from tiredness. Have joined ww online but just trying to eat more healthily at the moment (although had 2 pieces of cake yesterday - in my defence TinyChoos had bf from 03-0400 and then LittleChoos woke for a cuddle at 0430).

Hope you're feeling better sweet?

SweetBabyCheeses Thu 22-Aug-13 10:25:27

Hi all,

Fair play to you for joining ww Choos, how the hell do you find the time?!
You must be knackered. How are you finding having two kids? I'm looking for survival tips.

I was toying with the thought of making points free soup but had some biscuits instead. My appetite has returned and at 20 weeks I've put on 2 lbs of the weight I lost. I'm trying to reign in the desire to eat everything around me, so I'm having lots of soups and toast. I really don't want to be huge at the end of the pregnancy.

SayHelloToMyLittleFriend Wed 28-Aug-13 21:35:33

Well done on joining ww Choos, I'm impressed! How are you getting on? Is LittleChoos enjoying being a big brother?

How are you Cheese? I'm glad your appetite has returned and try not to worry about your weight just now, we'll still be here after you've had your baby ready to diet with you (and I'll still be here probably gaining and losing the same bloody pounds!!!)

I haven't weighed myself in a while, I need to get back eating healthily because I feel like I've put on a few pounds.

SweetBabyCheeses Mon 02-Sep-13 16:34:21

How goes new Motherhood and regular Motherhood Choos? Are you all doing well?

I think you've done so well with your weight loss SayHello. A few pounds isn't too much of a battle. Is it hard maintaining your weight? I've never really succeeded, unless being permanently over weight counts? I don't think it does.

I'll need you all here when this baby arrives, apparently he (I think it's a boy) is at the upper end of the weight scale for his gestation, I'm going to be the size of a flippin house by the end of it all. I will need motivational words and my flabby ass kicked.

I got weighed at the hospital and the lovely medical student was surprised that I'd only put on 2 lbs. She told me that most Mothers who were overweight at the start of their pregnancy continue to pile on the pounds. She said it in such a way that it was flattering and insulting all at once, but she was so lovely that I decided not to kill her.

NewChoos Mon 09-Sep-13 07:29:23

Morning Cheese and SayHello,

Apologies for my absence - it's pretty busy with 2. LittleChoos is struggling a bit with having someone else around so we are trying to balance reassurance and lots of cuddles with the message it's not ok to pull/push TinyChoos....! I think he is also a bit excited and does like having her around mostly, it's just all so new to him (and us!)

Unfortunately I have not started ww and so am the same weight, none of my clothes fit and so I really need to get on with it.

SayHello I agree with Cheese, you've done so well.

Cheese - I am against weigh ins in pregnancy, I think I would have exploded at that comment! 2lbs is fantastic though, how far along are you now?

Does anyone have any experience of maintaining milk production while bf?

NewChoos Mon 09-Sep-13 07:29:51

I mean dieting while bf and maintaining milk...

SweetBabyCheeses Mon 09-Sep-13 10:36:10

Hi Choos,

I think the key to breastfeeding and dieting is to feed on demand to up your milk supply and I think you get 10 extra points per day on ww when you're breastfeeding. You need to drink tons of fluid too. I'm sure Little Choos will adjust when Tiny Choos gets bigger and a bit more interesting, babies are boring yet annoying in the eyes of a toddler.

Can you divide and conquer so Little gets some one on one time? Maybe you play trains while your DH takes the baby upstairs and then you take the baby and your DH takes Little to the park/swimming? That's my plan when my baby comes, especially at the weekend when toddler boredom reaches fever pitch in this house.

I'm nearly 24 weeks and up by 3 lbs. I have to be weighed as I signed up for a study which means I have shorter to wait in the queue for appointments as they fast track those in the study - the only reason I signed up, I have no patience.

I have the most humungous bump, it's very uncomfortable as I feel I have to wee all the time. But my MIL is taking delight in telling me my bump is very small and I look sick/tired/depressed etc. I have to mentally remind myself not to punch her in the throat. My doc said I'm measuring fine for dates, my baby is just big and heavy. At my 20 week scan he/she weighed 1.3lb which is on the heavier end of the scale.

Anyone know a cure for heartburn? I'm in agony with it.

NewChoos Mon 09-Sep-13 10:52:20

Liquid gaviscon in the pink bottle - only thing that worked for me.

Your MIL sounds like a royal pain, ignore, ignore,ignore her nasty remarks.
24 weeks - seems to be going quick (although probably not for you).
I feel bit sad that we won't have another - although I know this is the right decision really.
Yes - have signed Little up for lots of activities and trying to keep him busy. He is going through a bit of a tantrum stage re getting dressed etc Trying to be calm, kind but firm!!!! He also has continued to go to nursery 2 days week so I can have some TinyChoos time.

SweetBabyCheeses Tue 10-Sep-13 11:16:31

I shall get some of the gaviscon today - thanks a mill for that.

I know what you mean about being a bit sad about not having any more kids, we've decided on two and while I'm happy about that now, I'm sure once this pregnancy is over I'll be sad never to go through it again. I think the best thing you can do is focus on all the benefits having two kids will bring. It makes sense financially for us and also means that we can do more fun stuff with the kids sooner rather than later (I couldn't imaging bringing 2 toddlers and a baby on a plane) and being so ill on this pregnancy has stopped me being able to do things with DS and it's been hard to reconcile that.

My DS does the tantrum thing about getting dressed, I threatened to throw his car out the window because he was giving out (while semi-naked) so much. He didn't stop screaming, his car went out the window. Now he gets dressed like a good boy because he was so surprised I did it. I am, in fact, an evil cow!

He also won't wear clothes unless they are "cool". I have always encouraged him to put together an outfit well and he has a say when we go clothes shopping for him, but I have spawned a fashion monster. He regularly comments on what other people are wearing. It's fine when it's family, but when he tells a stranger on the road that their coat is "horrible", it's a different story. He's only two and a half.

I watched my MIL eat a huge plate of double chocolate chip cookies as she was telling me how awful I looked (I can't eat them they give me heartburn), at least my change of shape is temporary and not because I wolfed down biscuits.

SayHelloToMyLittleFriend Wed 11-Sep-13 16:48:48

Hi, how are you both getting on?

Your mil sounds very annoying Cheese and how rude to tell you that you look awful!! I bet you look lovely and she's just jealous. Some people seem to think that just because someone is pregnant they can say what they want to them, it's very odd.

I know what you both mean about feeling a bit sad about never having another baby. My youngest will be 2 next week, she seems to be growing up far too fast sad At the same time though, I feel like my little family is complete now and watching them both play together honestly melts my heart, they're like little best friends.

NewChoos Wed 18-Sep-13 08:58:02

Morning!
How's the heartburn Cheese? Hope it's better, also hope no more stinging comments from MIL.
Hope all good with you SayHello. Your story of your children playing together gives me hope! If I was younger, I think we would have a 3rd after a gap, but know we are so blessed anyway. Also totally agree with you Cheese and being pregnant is not easy...
Loving the style of LittleCheese, although can fully appreciate the awkwardness when he comments...! Clever LittleCheese though. LittleChoos seems a bit better at getting dressed this week. It's such a tricky age, at the moment he is insisting on being carried everywhere (wrapped round cue little finger - not us!!)

Anyway - I have lost 4lbs. Only 2 stone and 5lbs to go!!! (although 2 would be ok).

This thread is not accepting new messages.