Best workout video/exercises for the very unfit

(31 Posts)
SugarBugger Sat 02-Jul-11 21:47:31

I don't know where to start exercising, I'm very overweight, never have any energy, and any exercise hurts and is uncomfortable. I want to start doing something but I feel daunted by workout vids in case they're designed for way fitter people than me.

Can anyone suggest a jumping off point for me?

SugarBugger Wed 06-Jul-11 21:47:28

Well the baby watched me do the zumba workout, and laughed a bit, but I didn't want to do it in front of the 3 year old as he's just discovered "why?" so didn't want to explain myself 50 times grin

Good on you for doing the shred again, keep at it if it's working! My hips are still from the zumba but omg it's so much fun, I can't keep up fully yet but I suppose with practise it'll get easier.

ChessPiece Wed 06-Jul-11 21:56:38

I ordered this Rosemary Conley 3 pack dvd set this week and had a go this morning. Bargain price!

I think it's going to suit me cos I'm really not that fit and you can do some routines in 10 min slots. She does different levels and even has a sit down workout.

SugarBugger Thu 07-Jul-11 09:02:36

That's a good deal, thanks for telling us about it! Nice to know I'm not the only unfit one round here, the thing I remember about Rosemary Conley is that although the exercises were effective they weren't done at a mad pace, so it'd be easier to follow if you're not very light on your trotters feet like me!

How did you find it? was it quite tasking or doable?

ChessPiece Thu 07-Jul-11 12:12:58

Just finished my second go - I'm taking it easy by increasing the amount of time I do it by 10 mins every day because my knees can get sore (although I'm hoping the excercises will gradually strengthen my knee muscles so I won't get problems).

I haven't done any other dvds to compare Rosemary with but she does go at quite a lick! A couple of the exercises I haven't quite mastered blush but I will get there eventually.

She has a class member doing an easier version that you can follow and for a couple of movements I just kept marching rather than stress my knees.

Dipping into different bits of the 3 dvds is going to keep it interesting I think.

Btw it was free delivery on the dvds.

SugarBugger Thu 07-Jul-11 16:16:49

Well I suppose it takes a while to master the tricky bits, although I always thought I was a pretty good dancer in clubs and things, must just have been the booze because in the cold light of day (several years later, too) it appears I have no natural rhythm at all! The girls doing zumba dancing make it look effortless but like you said I ended up filling in some bits with marching/freestyle dancing because it was just too fast!

Going to give it another go shortly as my speakers for the pc have arrived and dp's gone out, but ds is downstairs watching a dvd so I can expect a bemused audience and lots of questions no doubt!

Does the RC one have any good arm exercises?

totallyunfit Wed 08-May-13 14:24:37

Hi, my name's Anna. I've started a light-hearted facebook group and blog about being totally unfit. The intention is to be motivational by being cathartic in a dark humoured way... if that sounds like your kind of thing then please feel free to join?

www.facebook.com/groups/totallyunfit/
totallyunfit.blogspot.com/

"There are too many shiny successful people in the world; unfit people must stick together to reset the balance, and we must do it now."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now