MIrena Coil and weight gain!!!!!! Anyone else have it?

(257 Posts)
allthegirls Fri 04-Nov-05 08:19:50

Hi

I have had the mirena coil for just over a year now and have put on massive amounts of weight!! I have put on around 1 1/2 stone!!!!!! I go to the gym at least 3 times a week but try to go 4. i do a hard work out for an hour and am actually quite fit for a fatty!! But what is really annoying is the fact that despite all this I never seem to lose weight. Infact it is the oppposite the pounds just seem to creep on. It is really getting me down now. Has anyone else had the same problems with the mirena coil? I am going to get an appointment with the doctors hopefully next week but just wanted to hear from anyone else who may of had the same problems!

gooshi13 Thu 20-Mar-14 14:42:19

I am 33 year old mum with 2 children. I had mirena put in a year ago. Straight after i started noticing weight gain within a few weeks i put on 3 kilos. I was thinking it maybe my eating that causing it,so i started watching my diet and cycling but the weight crept on despite all my efforts. I went from being 68 kilos to a massive 79! Also i had started lactating and having cravings but the pregnancy tests were negative. Finally i had mirena removed 25/02/2014 and after a week had my first period with massive blood clots and a heavy flow.Still waiting for lactating to stop and hopefully loose the extra weight.

sara731 Sat 08-Feb-14 20:32:27

Hi, as many of you experienced the weight gain becausr of minera, I can tell you that it happened to me too. But even if I removed 6months ago, the weight did no shift back, infact though I am always on diet and going to the gym the weight is fixed to an unhealthy 83 kg! I haven't back my periods and I keep suffering hot flush. I am so frustrated. What should I do? I am young yet since I am just 40. Doctor sais it is not minera's faut an the rest is fine... ot is just me

ElenorRigby Wed 30-Oct-13 06:00:50

Bumping this thread as I think the content is really important!! shock
Thanks to all the ladies above for sharing their stories!

I had a Mirena fitted a few months after giving birth to DD who is now 6.
I was 12 stone after having DD which I lost quite easily at first. I went from size 16-18 to size 12 in about 3 months. I then had the mirena fitted for contraception purposes.
My weight shot back up and Ive sat around size 16-18 for the last few years. I had tried dieting over the years but found it really difficult even a pound. I have had a huge tum which makes me look pregnant.
I thought my metabolism was shot and I was doomed to be fat and frumpy.

I had the thing out 2 days ago. Already my stomach and boobs have changed shape. Also my libido has come back which was v low.

I will post up any weight loss when it happens!

tomisa Wed 01-May-13 00:36:04

ive had the marina coil fitted now for the second time and first time round i was 25 when i got it in i had it for 5 years although there was a signifigate amount of weight gain i didnt blame the coil but i put on at least 6 stone and tried to no avail of looseing it . i got the marina out at 30 and got the ordinary coil in id that in for 11 years i lost 5 stone in the past 4 years and was doing really great untill i had the marina fitted in june last year and iv gained 32 pounds since and iv tried everything to loose it iv even tried slimming tablets of all kinds but i really cant loose it but in saying that im constantly hungry and cant stop eating and yes i do blame the marina for this now that im seeing other reviews on it . im making an appointment to get it taken out . im now 42 and having the experience of these years with both coils id recommend getting it out as there is a deffinate pattern here. good luck. i will keep you posted on my progress over the next few months ,hope this helps

Laur3 Mon 01-Apr-13 17:12:38

I had the mirena put in 8 weeks ago. I had it in during a laparoscopy & other gynae procedures. Thought it would be the answer to all my prayers for contraception reasons. Husband & I don't want anymore children. I've had 3 sections and my womb had become attached to my bowl due to the sticky adhesions from the c-sec scar tissue hence gynae procedures being carried out 8 weeks ago. Anyways I'm posting this as after just a shirt amount of time I've gained about 4lb in weight, I'm only 5ft and am feeling really yuck. I couldn't understand why this was happening but after standing on the scales yesterday and googling today it's dawned on me that it is the coil, before my weight gain starts to creep on and on and on I've decided to call GP tomorrow to have a chat. I'm annoyed as consultant didn't mention any side affects whatsoever to me but I'm determined to get it out after chatting to my sister (just had hers removed as didn't suit her) plus reading all these stories I'm just not going to "give it time etc" I'm also feeling a bit snappy and irritated and feel that everything I'm feeling now is just going to escalate and get worse. In 5 years time I'm not prepared to be 3 or 4 or more stone overweight just to ease my contraception worries. My husband will have to have the snip.

When I had my 6 week check the nurse asked if I had had any problems & didn't mention weight gain, I was just delighted that my bleeding was non existent BUT my boobs are SO painful a few days before the very light spotting starts. Like pregnancy boobs. Very very painful. On examination to check threads she discovered I have a tilted womb and that the coil is very high up, she doubted I would ever have found them myself (not that I wanted to try....) so now I'm a bit wary of the removal as I reckon the GP (our GP does the removal and insertion, not the nurse) will have a bit of a problem trying to take it out. Intact the thought of it makes me tightly cross my legs.....:-( will update on here if anyone like me is experiencing the same downsides to this so called "miraculous little device" for those it suits it really it just that but I've got a sinking feeling its just not for me.

hi, ive had the coil in for 2and a half years now due to irregular bleeds which was due to a polyp and was adviced to have the coil. i had to go to Spire health hospital as i thought they maybe able to remove the polyp.. apparently it was too tough to remove so the coilk was fitted. i now bleed between 10-12 days per month, my stomach is bloated and the weight gain of 1 and a half stone. i feel huge and almost a size 16 in everything i wear. the doctors advice me to ' go with it' as the pill has more hormone along with the implant and injection. so apparently im better off with coil. the copper coil was ruled out as it can be painful. the pressure now that everyone has to be a certain weight and a healthy BMI i hate feeling im being judged by my weight and size

lily070 Thu 08-Nov-12 15:39:38

Im having mine out this evening, so will update in a week or so.

calyer8 Sun 04-Nov-12 22:13:18

Since i've had my coil I've put on almost 3 stone, I've got no energy or sex drive,I'm depressed ...perhaps because of the symptoms or because of the coil! I have dry skin and more facial hair and my tummy is bloated. I'm going to have it removed soon and will see if there is a difference! Will keep you posted!

lily070 Mon 29-Oct-12 07:33:06

I forgot to list the other symptoms. I still have a pain in my right hip, and also an itchy back, that I cant reach. I can sometimes be found rubbing my back on a door frame, cos its the only way the I can reach it. With the weight gain and door frame rubbing, I look like baloo from jungle book!

lily070 Mon 29-Oct-12 07:30:13

Im so glad I found this.
I had the coil fitted in 2006. I had lost a lot of weight, initially due to diet and then due to stress, and was feeling pretty good about how I looked. I went to have to coil fitted for heavy periods, and the nurse was unable to fit it, as she found a large polyp on my cervix which was probably causing the problem. Was referred to consultant and told he would remove it in Theatre. I said that if the polyp was the cause then I wouldnt need the coil, but he said he would fit it anyway.
After the fitting I had horrible hip pain, and started to have episodes of low mood before my period. Spoke with consultantwho said a few women had reported it and offered an antidepressant (Im a psychiatric nurse) I refused. The episodes got worse, was like being in a black hole, and I eventually got to the point that I was unable to see a future during the episode, which scared me a bit. So I started the antidepressant.
Periods stopped, mood settled a bit, weight gain started. Since 2007 I have put on between 4-5 stone!!! Very effective contraception, I wouldnt strip off in front of anyone! I have tried every diet known to man. Would lose a couple of pounds in the first week and then stop, no matter what I do. When I stopped the diets, I would gain what I had lost and more! Am currently having hypnosis, lost in the first week and then nothing. Im eating approx 1000 cal a day and still not losing.
So today am making an appt to have this monsterous thing removed. Will let you know how it goes.

Mothershipdown Thu 12-Jul-12 07:17:13

Well, it's out! Didn't hurt a bit when it was removed either. Not feeling dramatically different but slept well and feeling less bleary this morning. No bleeding, spotting or cramps but I'm not really expecting any of that. Let's hope it's the start of and upward trend smile

Mollydoggerson Tue 10-Jul-12 16:12:31

I got mine out about a six weeks ago. I was expecting a heavy bleed afterwards, it never happened. After taking it out I had what might have been a period, moderate for about 2 days and then spotting for 2 days.

A month later I had a normal (relatively light) period, however I did become a little tearful during that time (hasn't happened since I put it in).

My sex drive is coming back, my skin is still a bit spotty, BUT most importantly I feel I have a little more motivation and drive and am more upbeat and positive.

Mothershipdown Tue 10-Jul-12 15:58:28

Hello Girls, I have read many of the stories in this thread and think can relate to most of the experiences that many of you have been complaining of although I'm a lot older than most of you here. I currently have a Mirena fitted and this is my second one since I hit the perimenopause at 45.
I was experiencing heavy and prolonged bleeding at intervals of only 10 days and occasionally episodes of severe cramps of menstrual type pain often not associated with heavy bleeding, in fact, quite the opposite. This was all getting too much and my GP offered me a Mirena coil as a way of regulating this. I had the coil fitted and (after 18mths of spotting and brown discharge) things settled. Over that time I gained 2 dress sizes, I was miserable, moody, unsociable, 'headachy' and tired. I did not put these two things together and attributed my situation to many other things; such as, my age, my demanding job, my general inactivity outside of work, my children growing up and flying the nest, being in a boring marriage and questioning my love for my husband.

In 2008 (aged 47) I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I had a double mastectomy and chemotherapy. The chemo produced a chemical menopause from which I had no hope of recovery thus tipping me into a natural menopause as would be expected at my age as I am now 51. My recovery from all the chemo and reconstructive surgery involved a complete re-evaluation of my life and I took this opportunity to diet and exercise on a daily basis and lost over 3st in weight. Since I was lucky in the respect that my cancer was not hormone or genetically linked, I was told it would be safe for me to take HRT as I complained bitterly about lack of sex drive amongst the many other menopausal symptoms. The oestrogen HRT was good and helped a great deal with the hot fluses and sweating episodes and then, after a while, I talked to my GP about getting my Mirena renewed as part of my HRT since I reasoned that the one I had had in situ for the past 4yrs was probably running out of hormones and yes, my sex drive was still poor. She agreed and a year or so ago I had a new one put it......guess what? I have gained weight, I have spotty, unpredictable skin, I have headaches and migraines, backache, lethargy, moodiness, occasionally feel tearful and unreasonable angry over something small, unsocial and frankly, can hardly be bothered with sex anyway so what's the point? I stopped taking the oestrogens about 7 months ago because I was fed up with struggling with all the effects, completely forgetting that I still had the Mirena inside me. Stopping the oestrogen did not result in me getting the hot flushes back, I have had no further such symptoms thus I am concluding that I am now post menopausal.
I have my suspicions that the Mirena was responsible for my getting breast cancer but this is something I will never know or be able to prove. I'm just grateful to be here, thank Goodness for the NHS!

Now I have developed an ovarian cyst, common for ladies of my age yes, but my mum died from ovarian cancer so I'm having my ovaries removed soon. My Gyno doc says I don't need my mirena any more and he will remove it when he operates. Guess what girls, after reading your stories, I'm not going to wait another moment and it's coming out tomorrow!

I am hoping that this will result in positive effects for me and that I will feel better and not worse for my actions.
Good luck to all of you out there.

Rozzie66 Sun 01-Jul-12 13:33:52

I love that sentiment Koolkestrel! I would love my body back, though it has to be said, I did get the Mirena to limit my periods due to a severe anemia problem. I know have so much more energy - even with a spare tyre to lug around! Oh and I do have breasts which I have never done before! It is such a pain having to choose one thing over another though. It's fascinating the comment of premenstrual weight gain. I do remember that, as you say, for a few days before. I presumed it was purely water, which it could have been. I do feel permanently bloated. I did have a period a couple of weeks ago, the first proper one since having the coil fitted, and I lost about 5 lbs almost overnight. I think I may get to a point when I too will want my body back, but for now, a bit of energy makes me feel young (if not podgy) again!

KoolKestrel Sun 01-Jul-12 09:08:02

What a relief it is to find others with the same issues as me smile I had my coil put in June 2011. I had it taken out June this year. If I had known how much weight I would put on, I would never have had it put in. I've put on over a stone, not changed my eating and I'm a gardener (so I have a physical job). I have kept a diary of events. My periods stopped in November 2011, and that is when the weight started to increase. Before contraception, I had a 28 cycle. As part of PMT (about 5 days before my period) I always put on weight, and then lost it again when the period finished. With the coil in, it was constant feeling of PMT weight gain. I felt it in all the ususal places, including the thighs and had to get clothes a size bigger. I had it removed 3 weeks ago, and I'm hoping with the periods I'm having now, that my correct weight wil return. My friend, who recommentd the coil, never put on weight before her periods, and she hasn't put weight on with the coil. Maybe, those who are prone to PMT weight gain, can expect weight gain on the coil, and possibly other hormonal contraceptives. Just before the Dr took my coil out, she said "you know you are going to get your periods back?" I said, "I don't care, I just want my body back" !!!

mindgone Thu 21-Jun-12 22:51:25

Weird!! Like you say though, Rozzie, not having periods is sooo nice! grin

Rozzie66 Wed 20-Jun-12 11:54:27

I had the Mirena coil fitted in Oct 11. I have never even thought about weight issues up until them because of my disposition - please don't switch off (!) this is important. I have gained just under a stone in weight, of which some was needed, which is an utter shock to me. at first I was thrilled but don't know how to control it, and now none of my clothes fit!! The reason i'm posting this is to say I am walking proof that Mirena definitely changes your metabolism somehow. It's not just the appetite, as I've never had a massive appetite, it's the fact I have to think now about what I'm eating which I've never done before (I'm now 46), even after having 3 children and never keeping an ounce of babyfat - and I genuinely mean it when is say I never attempted to lose it, it just came off. Now though, after the Mirena, it is all coming back with vengeance! But only since I had the coil fitted. Mind you, I'm so very relieved I don't get periods at all, no spotting, and no breast tenderness, so hey, I don't think I can complain. I do wonder what effect those hormones are having on my system though!

mindgone Tue 12-Jun-12 16:06:21

My third Mirena coil is due to be changed, but I am really scared because I am so used to it, after 15 years with one! Have always battled with my weight since pre-Mirena days, but my sex drive could really do with a boost! Am a bit woossy and scared of periods after SO long. Can anyone reassure me with tales of how they got on after Mirena please.

lilmax Thu 31-May-12 21:52:00

Had Mirena coil fitted 3 weeks ago and almost immediately i started itching over the trunk of my body, my face started to get spotty and i bloated. I know it is early days and mabe i should give it more time but i think in my case the cure is worse than the symptoms were. Why dont they give you the information leaflet before you have it fitted.

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Wed 07-Mar-12 20:45:00

And besides, 4 years is long enough...the lifespan of it is 5 years, isn't it?

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Wed 07-Mar-12 20:44:27

If you want it out, tell them to take it out, holster. It's your body; they can't force you to keep it in confused.

I know doctors have a real problem with it. I know my own body, as I am sure most women do...I find it very insulting when people say you are imagining it/blaming it on the Mirena.

holster08 Wed 07-Mar-12 19:30:24

Hi,ive had the mirena coil for 4 years now since having my little girl,lately i have had some problems,infections,migranes and lack of sex drive and weight gain.The doctor wont let me remove it yet,says i need to consider other options first,i have read on here it can lead to these problems but the doc says no!!!Im so frustrated,i want to know if im going mad but i cannot get my weight down without eating about 800 calories a day and i just feel rubbish.Im fed up with feeling like this,the migranes are awful as i have 4 kids and work and i cant cope much longer.http://www.mumsnet.com/te/3.gif.Can anyone tell me if they too have any of these symptons,im thinking of going back and demanding i have it removed!http://www.mumsnet.com/te/6.gif

foreverondiet Mon 05-Mar-12 22:33:36

Whilst I agree mirena is not suitable for everyone, and that some people will get side effects from it etc etc drinking fruit juice really can make you put on weight due to the fruit sugars and the impact of the sugar on blood sugar and insulin levels.

Good luck with your weight loss.

Janiemp Mon 05-Mar-12 13:05:43

Drinking fresh juice is not going to put on weight! I have just been to docs and was weighed and was horrified to find I am 70 kg. My normal weight is 60-64kg. I just know this is not right. Anyway, I have had the mirena removed so will keep you all posted on what happens and if I feel/have any changes. I am feeling very relieved at the moment although only had it taken out this morning!

foreverondiet Mon 05-Mar-12 12:10:08

Yes, but eating with the fibre (pulp) helps stabilise blood sugars, which means less insulin and less fat storage. And much easier to drink 4 oranges worth of juice, harder to eat 4 whole oranges.

My thyroid packed in after coming off the combined pill after 5 years .... should I blame the pill? I just think now that the pill was masking the symptoms but I had it for years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now