MIrena Coil and weight gain!!!!!! Anyone else have it?

(271 Posts)
allthegirls Fri 04-Nov-05 08:19:50

Hi

I have had the mirena coil for just over a year now and have put on massive amounts of weight!! I have put on around 1 1/2 stone!!!!!! I go to the gym at least 3 times a week but try to go 4. i do a hard work out for an hour and am actually quite fit for a fatty!! But what is really annoying is the fact that despite all this I never seem to lose weight. Infact it is the oppposite the pounds just seem to creep on. It is really getting me down now. Has anyone else had the same problems with the mirena coil? I am going to get an appointment with the doctors hopefully next week but just wanted to hear from anyone else who may of had the same problems!

Bluey28 Fri 05-Dec-08 23:34:07

Hi
I have had mirena coil fitted in june of this year due to my heavy periods,my GP advised me to have a coil to make my period lighter,I thought that sounds great But Iam annoyed that doctors dont explained the full facts,only to say it just make periods lighter only for me to find out in few weeks later I put on weight even without changing my diet as I have normally had the same before I had the coil,and also I have become moody. I have had 2 major surgery on my back ( following an accident 11 yrs ago) I cannot afford to put on weight in order to help my back in comfort without pain,etc.So I have made an appoint next week to have it remove...please anyone tell me when they had coil removed, did the weight loss happen? back to normal,etc? I would love to hear from anyone if they had this kind of problems,thanks

Bluey28 Sat 13-Dec-08 14:49:02

Please anyone tell me when they have the coil removed , does the weight loss start to happen?
Since I had the coil fitted in ,in june of this year, my diet has not change at all but since the coil ,I noticed my boobs have got bigger ,even my friends have noticed, they were so shocked and the weight gain increse by each week, I just feel so bloated ,I think it the fluid retention ,I can actually feel in my legs and stomach which feel the worse, and also i keep wanting sugary snacks which is unlike me as i am so careful what I eat.
I have arrange an appointment with my GP next week to have the coil removed, I cannot wait to see if all the fluid retention goes ( fingewrs crossed) and stop feelin depressed which I have nothig to feel depressed about my life ...i have lovely house ,2 beautiful chidren and A great husband,please anyone tell me will all the weight go as soon as the coil is removed?and among the other symptons?
iam so angry the doctor never tells you the side effect cause weight gain,etc only to say it jsut cause to make periods lighter!

aprilcherry1 Mon 29-Dec-08 01:45:44

HALLO LADIES

IT'S MY 1ST POST ON THE BOARD AND AOH GOSH HAVE I LEARNT A LOT OR WAT! I HAD MY MERINA INSERTED FIRST WHEN I HAD A MISCARRIAGE IN OCTOBER, WITHIN A WEEK I ACCIDENATLLY PULLED IT OUT!! IT WAS THAT PAINFUL TO BE HONEST...THIS SHOCKED MY DOCTOR. BUT ANYWAY WHY I ACCIDENTALLY PULLED IT OUT WAS IT WAS TOO LONG AND I FELT IT HANGING OUT ON MY KNICKERS! SO I GOT CONFUSED AND FRIGHTENED I TOTALLY FORGOT I HAD A MIRENA COIL THEN BOOM I PULLED IT OUT..OUCH!!! I WAS GOBSMACKED! AFTER THAT I WENT ON MY PERIODS FOR 2 DAYS ONLY, THEN DECEMBER 08 WENT FOR THE NORMAL PERIOD, SO I MADE AN APPOINTMENT WENT THRU THE NORMAL CHECKS AT THE CLINIC AND GOT IT PUT IN LAST WEEK. I HAD PUT ON WEIGHT ALREADY AND EATING SWEET THINGS MORE THAN EVER. U WON'T BELIEVE THIS THAT THE REST OF THE WEEK INCLUDING NOW AS I AM WRITING THIS MAIL I HAVE A TERRIBLE, ITCHY, DRY RUSH ON MY FACE IT'S SO EMBARASSING. I HAVE ALWAYS HAD BEAUTIFUL SKIN EVEN PEOPLE USED TO COMPLIMENT ME, BUT I LOOK LIKE UGLY BETTY!!
I ALREADY HAVE ECZEMA SO YOU CAN IMAGINE WHAT IM GOING THRU. IM GETTING IT TAKEN OUT THIS WEEK DON'T CARE WAT THEY SAY. I HAVE PUT ON SO MUCH WEIGHT COZ THE HORMONES STAY IN THE BLOOD STREAM.
THIS MORNING MY 4 YR OLD STEP DAUGHTER SAID TO ME '...WHY ARE YOU HAVING A BIG STOMACH?!...' I WAS HORRIFIED & WAS IN TEARS!! SHE DIDN'T MEAN TO HURT ME BUT SURPRISINGLT MY PARTNER THE NIGHT BE4 WAS COMPLAINING ABT MY WEIGHT GAIN AND FROM FLAT TUMMY TO BIG MOMMA!!
I HOPE TO GET IT OFF FAST WILL SEE MY DOC 2MOROW AND IF GOD IS WILLING WILL GET IT OFF SOONEST.
THANX

gabygirl Mon 29-Dec-08 08:36:51

I have had problems with my Mirena coil.

I had it fitted two years ago. I started to get very, very tired and bleurgghhh a few months afterwards and then I got jaundiced. My skin wasn't yellow but the whites of my eyes were very discoloured.

I had a battery of tests and was told (eventually - took 6 months to get a diagnosis) that I had something called Gilbert's Syndrome, which apparently between 5 and 15% of the population have. Basically what it means is that your liver lacks a particular enzyme to process toxins AND HORMONES so you always have higher bilirubin levels than other people. It's not linked to severe liver disease and is supposed to be asymptomatic (apart from the jaundice) but my gp told me that many of her patients with Gilberts have all sorts of problems relating to it.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I asked my gp if I should have my Mirena out, because people with any sort of liver problems sometimes have problems with progesterone. I had the coil out 2 weeks ago and hey presto, my eyes are no longer yellow for the first time in 18 months. Which means that all this time the Mirena has been affecting my liver........... Hence the tiredness and general feelings of bleeurghhh

mum2ty Thu 01-Jan-09 21:25:32

HI,
GLAD TO SEE IT'S NOT JUST ME WITH BAD SIDE EFFECTS TO MIRENA AS HAD IT FITTED IN APRIL 2008 AS I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING WITH VERY HEAVY PERIODS& PAINS WITH SEX IN LEFTHAND SIDE SINCE THE BIRTH OF MY TWO KIDS-4+1/2+NEARLY 3. AFTER SEVERAL VISITS TO DR I WAS FINALLY OFFERED A LAPAROSCOPY& ANOTHER EXPLORATORY OP WHICH FOUND NOTHING. I WAS BASICALLY BADGERED INTO HAVING A MIRENA COIL AS BUT FOR A HYSTERECTOMY( WHICH I DON'T WANT AT 35 & UNSURE WHETHER I WANT MORE KIDS) THATS ALL THEY WOULD OFFER ME. I CHECKED IF IT WOULD HAVE AN IMPACT ON DEPRESSION AS I'VE SUFFERED IN THE PAST& ON WEIGHT GAIN BECAUSE I LOST A STONE & A HALF & KEPT IT OFF FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS TO BE 12 STONE(IM 6FT)-THEY SAID NO SIDE EFFECTS LIKE THAT!! .STRAIGHT AWAY I NOTICED I WAS GAINING WEIGHT & GETTING VERY FLABBY WHICH GETS YOU DOWN! AT MY FIRST REVIEW I ASKED & THEY SAID YES ITS A KNOWN SIDE EFFECT,THOUGHT WELL I WILL LET IT SETTLE DOWN. LAST REVIEW I WENT BACK & TOLD THEM I HAVE GAINED 2STONE!! & AM GETTING VERY STRESSED OUT,DOWN & DEPRESSED & SHORT-TEMPERED& THEY SAID OH NO THERE ARE NO SIDE EFFECTS AS THE MIRENA IS SYSTEMMIC?!! WHAT TOTAL BULL -I'M SO SELF CONSCIOUS PUTTING ON ALL THAT WEIGHT I AM AFRAID TO WEIGH MYSELF AS I KNOW IVE INCREASED AGAIN& I FEEL LIKE A BEACHED WHALE.IM DIVORCED & LOOK IN THE MIRROR & THINK WHO WILL WANT ME?! TROUBLE IS DO I HAVE IT TAKEN OUT & PUT UP WITH THE MONTHLY FLOODING PERIODS & PAINS?!! ANYONE ELSE STRUGGLED WITH THIS & FOUND THE SOLUTION? IM SO FED UP WITH IT I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO?!! I TOO SUFFER WITH LOW BACKPAIN & DON'T KNOW WHETHER ITS CONNECTED AT ALL? KERRY

Pollly Wed 07-Jan-09 00:31:42

Hi
I had a Mirena coil fitted May 2008 and at the same time I was attempting to lose weight after giving up smoking. The weight loss was very slow and so I joined weight watchers and have really struggled. I have quite a strong will and followed the plan but the weight has refused to move, the leader really does not believe that I am trying my best I can see it in her face! I have not stopped bleeding monthly and I am bloated, extrememly hungry all the time and I could cry if anyone even looks at my breasts, they are so tender. I am giving it till April and if no change I will have it taken out. I do feel better after joining this site tho and reading all your comments so THANKS, I am not alone!

Boosie Thu 08-Jan-09 20:09:52

I have never joined a blog but feel I have to add to this one! I have had the marina coil fitted for 2 years. I previously lost 2 stone for an operation and after that had the coil fitted. I have put on 3 stone in two years!! I have tried eating like a flea and exercising like a horse but no luck. Have now joined slimmers world but very very slow progress even though I am truly sticking to it. Have made an appointment to have coil removed and go back to the copper IUD which I had before and was great. Only went to the marina to ease periods but feel it has been ruining my life. Constantly bloated and have bought many pregnancy tests as feel as if I am but always negative thank God as have 2 kids and want no more. I shall let you know if the weight increase reduces once it has been removed. Can't wait to be meeee again! Thanks for all the advice. My doctor was adamant my weight gain was not down to the coil - I know differently.

endtoendo Tue 13-Jan-09 22:16:46

I had my coil fitted in November 2007 during a laporoscopy for my severe endometriosis, and after the initial 3 months of imbalanced systems- the periods are now virtually non existant. I am considering having it taken out, i feel constantly sick, even at the thought of food, since using the coil have ibs which upsets my stomach ALL THE TIME, and has turned me into a nervous wreck thus making the probs worse. ( i wont even travel lately as the last 2 times i have been away i have been really ill!) i am always aware that it is there which makes me feel nauseous anyway. the docs arent very keen on me having it removed cus they think my endo will get really bad again but if im totally honest, id much rather a heavy period than a constant nausea feeling and alo weight gain. i have out on about 1 1/2 stone since using the coil.

the docs seem to disregard and suggester symptoms and fob me off saying it is nothing to do with the coil, but i have spoken to people who said as soon as they had it removed they felt like a totally different person! !
does anyone else have any of these symptoms i am experiencing?

nickyrob Thu 15-Jan-09 22:38:11

It's such a relief to read all these discussions. I had the mirena fitted 2 months ago due to heavy periods. I bled for 6 weeks after having it fitted and am now losing on and off. Ok, the loss is nowhere near what it was, or the pain, but I don't feel right. My stomach seems to be swelling by the day, my skin is getting really bad, outbreaks constantly, my boobs are soooo swollen and hurt so much its painful to walk or turn over in bed and my hair is falling out in clumps. I'm in a dilemma and don't know whether to persevere to see if it gets better or ask for it to be taken out now.

Any advice gratefully accepted

Nicky

susie1968 Sat 17-Jan-09 23:00:33

God was i glad to come across this website.I have had my mirena coil fitted for the past 4 years after suffering endometriosis for 10 years.Basically had problems since my youngest daughter was born. My bleeding stopped almost immediately which i thought was fantastic but my libido quickly died to. i also started to suffer from extreme anxiety accompanied by headaches which would seem to be never ending. my weight has also crept up by two stone and after spending most of my life being thin (possibly because of my condition and the bleeding) I hate the size i've become. I have had the coil removed yesterday and have spent the last month weaning myself of the antidepressants i had become reliant on just to function normally. I am hoping to lose weight fairly quickly but after what i've read not to sure. Hopefully the headaches should subside also, and more importantly my long suffering hubby may get his wife back. i am interested to hear fromothers with similar stories and i will keep you all posted as to how things develop

fedupjen Sun 18-Jan-09 19:10:43

hello ladies just joined this site, had to after reading your views on the merina coil!! well i had mine fitted on the 23rd december 08 after having a polyp removed and a scrape, was told this would help my constant heavy bleeding etc, well over the last 4 years i have managed to lose 4 and a half stones and in under 4 wks have managed to gain 10 lbs!! not a happy bunny at all, like many of you my skin has broken out, i feel awful constant headache and swollen tum, when i went to the doctors this week was told that the coil doesnt make you gain weight and that i need to give it longer... how much longer before i become like a hippo again!!! rant over now.....

hugs4free Mon 19-Jan-09 20:35:06

I was fitted in May 2008 and then had it removed in November 2008.Same thing like the rest of you beautiful women. I gained weight, had constant headaches, lower back hurt like hell, and a blind man could read my face due to the acne and cysts developing. On top of that, i started to become a hermit due to depression. Within 24 hrs of getting it removed, my skin started to clear up and within 48hrs i got rid of the headaches! The lower back pain is gone too. The depression was also lifted. Apparently the weight thinks I am its best friend and wants to stick with me.

To the wonderful and beautiful women who read this and have the coil and problems, don't think "maybe it isn't the coil, maybe its just me" Please think again. I even thought it was all in my head until I had it removed and started to feel "normal".Please give yourself some justice. Think about having it removed.

I am actually thinking if its possible to take the makers of the coil to court and file a class action. Does anyone have any ideas?

Boosie Tue 27-Jan-09 20:07:26

Hi, I last posted a message on 8th Jan having just had coil removed. Slimmers world is going brilliantly now and have lost 1 stone in 3 weeks!!! Cannot believe how easy it has been and only been to the gym once for half an hour. Have already lost that weird roll around the tummy that I never have had before and which I put down to the marina and everyone else said it was my age!! Good luck to anyone who goes the way I have - I feel I am getting my life back, am in control and not constantly hungry! Whooppee!!

Claresam Fri 27-Feb-09 22:25:31

Hi there
I would like to add to this debate about the mirena coil as i have been on a USA blog.I'm not sure about the weight gain but other sidi would love to know if anyone else has them......mood swings..like PMT only darker if you get me...definetely less interest in sex and repeated attacks of BV but having read how the mirena works I see why now.
I am considering having it removed...having been divorced and alone just me and kids for 4 years I now have a man. However I have little desire as I'm worried about infections. I also have far more headaches than I have ever had and migraines up from one per year so several...the last one ended up with 3 days off work...unknown for me to have time off!!!
Any feedback would be great!!

banklady Sat 21-Mar-09 08:40:08

Thank you ladies - I'm being pressured at the moment by the doctor to use the Mirena Coil as I suffer from PCOS. I've had my doubts for a while and have so far refused it.
I was beginning to come round to her way of thinking, as over the last 6 weeks I've been on for 3 of them and really heavy! Told doctors I couldn't go on like that and she suggested the Mirena again!
I feel I've just been saved from making the biggest mistake ever. Hope you all recover fully from the usage of it and thank you once again for sharing your experiences.

kryz Sun 29-Mar-09 19:10:28

hi , i had the coil fitted about 8wks ago and i have since had bad mood swings , depression and weight gain
i have tried all sorts of different ways to loose the weight but nothing seems to work... in the space of 8wks i have gained 6lb.
after reading what everyone has written i am going to make an appointment tomorrow with my GP to get the coil removed.
i had the same problem with the implant which led to me gaining 4stone in 3yrs and as soon as i got the implant taken out i lost the 4stone in about 4months!!!

loulou35 Mon 30-Mar-09 21:58:48

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to something like this ever- and would really appreciate your views- I have had mirena coil fitted about a year ago (contraception & heavy periods)- and seem to be getting more and more side effects, thw weight gain and acn I can almost live with but im getting more and more unreasonable anxiety and almost panic attacks, particularly in the evenings, they are really bad and im at the end of my tether, am i actually having meantal health issues ?????(have had depression years ago but nothing like this before) or does anyone else have these symptoms? i feel bloated, migranes and generally miserble but this irrational fear is geting out of hand!!! my GP says these side efects are not connected to the ciol, but i am on no other medication and it didnt happen before......but am worried of risk of pregnancy without it.....but thinking nothing can be worth this anxiety and jittery sensation.....help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message withdrawn

natper Tue 31-Mar-09 10:30:24

Thank Goodness I've found this site. I thought I was going mad and I've been driving my family crazy going on about it.

I had the coil fitted last September. It was rather a shock how painful it was to have fitted but after that I thought it was going to be great. I suffered lower cramps in my stomach which I just left to settle down for a few months. I didn't have any periods at all, just a week of light spotting. I didn't go for my check straight away because I'm rubbish at being organised on things like that! However I went just after Christmas and they couldn't find my string. I had to go to hospital for a scan where they said they could see it in place, the string has just coiled up inside me.

I returned to my doctor who said I could leave it in however I expressed my concerns so far:-

- gained weight of a stone - she suggested I was eating too much (cheeky cow!) and that it could be my age (35).
- headaches
- stomach pain still
- Lower back pain
- bloated stomach and fingers
- greasy hair and a few spots
- really bad PMT - ALL THE TIME!
- I have also been feeling really down recently and have a lump in my throat all the time like I could cry
- Heavy discharge - nice!
- eczema on my private area - not doing much for my sex life
- I have also now in the last 4 weeks had spotting most days

All of these she said were unlikely to be caused by the coil and to stick with it.

Since going to her I have been exercising 5/6 times a week - jogging and exercise dvd's and also really watching what I eat. I have never been big but I am now 10 stone - 1 stone heavier that I was a year ago and heavier than after having children!!

Since reading all your experiences I have booked to go back to the doctors to demand that I have it taken out. I am going to trust what MY body has been telling me for ages.

Fingers crossed it is the reason or I will be gutted! I need to save my marriage - I've been with him for 16 years and we are on the edge and I know it's more down to me.

I am a bit nervous about having it out though as will have to go to hospital to have it "hooked" out with an instrument as the strings are not there. Has anyone else had this happened and was it painful?!

loulou35 Tue 31-Mar-09 10:47:02

Hi Napster- yikes thought mine was bad enough , reading your mirena story makes me feel bit better (thanks, and sorry grin )think will have mine out soon- know GP will not be amused as its 'very expensive..' but somethings got to give... good luck with yours, sure it will be OK- they will prob use a bit of local and make it easier than if your strings were about!! wink smile

mumtoloads Tue 31-Mar-09 13:12:00

I had my mirena taken out 6 weeks ago. I haven't felt as good a this in ages. I became serverly depressed suicidal infact my husband and family were so worried. Weight gain that i could not shift, ance, so bloated i looked 6 months pregnant, sore boobs, back ach bleed everytime after sex and lots of times during the month.

I had it changed for the copper coil and so glad i did. I feel much happier have gone down a dress size and my spots have gone. I can't believe i did not realise it was the mirena making me feel like this for the last 2 years. Wish I had found out sooner but it was only from forums like this that i put 2 and 2 together.

I wish the medical profesion would do more research on it

Joyjo Tue 31-Mar-09 22:09:26

Mirena Coil trouble - never been so glan to stumble on to this site - I really thought I was going mad!I always have had a copper coil fitted for the past 20 years and never had any problems - then this summer I started bleeding really heavey every day for a couple of months - they discovered that I had polyps and i had an operation to remove them - they then replaced my coil with the Mirena. Thankfully the bleeding stopped - happy days I thought!! only then did the problems start - i have never been a nasty or bad tempered person but now I am a demon - I dislike every one, i feel so depressed, my husband, family and people i work with are getting a hard time all the time! none of my bras fit me Ive increased about 3 cup sizes, I need to hold both boobs when I walk up stairs I cannot sleep they are so sore. I am 45 years old I have always been the same weight, always a size 12. In the last 3 months I have gained 1.5 stones, i can hardly get a 14 buttoned and Im slipping into a 16 for comfort, its all around my tummy. I can no longer wear my rings as my hands and fingers are so swollen. I had big spots on my chin and I feel awful.

No doubt about it I'm ringing my GP in the morning to make an appointment to have this removed.

What has confirmed my decision even more - my daughter had a mirena fitted 3 years ago after she had her little boy (she has gained at lease 2 stone)- when she went back to have it checked they could never find it. She has had several scans and been to theatre twice but they could not find it. On Tuesday of that week she was admitted to hospital and they had to open her to remove it. When the GP previously fitted it, she had pushed the coil right up inside the womb, the womb unknowingly had ruptured, the coil was emmbedded in her bladder - the operation took nearly 2 hours. She is home from hospital now and has quite a few stiches in her tummy, if my fingers weren't so swollen I'd have them crossed that she would be ok.
Thats my rant for today - this may work for some people - but I know my own body and I know its not working for me!

RubyrubyrubyRaven Tue 31-Mar-09 22:14:24
Loubeylou Wed 01-Apr-09 21:19:40

I have steadily gained weight during the 2 years that I have had the coil fitted and have been quite tearful a lot of the time. I have tried various different diets and exercises to lose the weight but to no avail. I was prepared to just carry on with the coil despite the weight gain and tearfulness. However when I had a smear I asked the nurse to check that the coil was in place and the nurse could not find the threads at all and she advised me that the coil had gone missing. She told me that I wasn't protected against pregnancy and that I would have to have a gynae scan to see where it had gone. I panicked, my husband doesn't want anymore children at all(the pill wasn't an option) and so we decided that he would have to have a vasectomy which he did. My appointment for my scan took ages to come through and when they eventually did it they found out that the coil was still in place!! I was gutted, my husband need not have had the vasectomy angry

natper Wed 01-Apr-09 22:27:20

Sorry to hear you are gutted - at least you don't have to worry about what contraception to use now I guess. I have to say though - although I've had a nightmare with the coil, I'm not sure about my husband having the snip - it seems so final and scary so can understand your feelings.

What a shame that it wasn't explained to you properly - as seems to be the case with lost of us - about how it can still be in place and that the strings may have just, forgive the pun, coiled up inside you and that you need to use condoms as an added precaution.

Can I ask if you have now had it removed and if so how that went - I'm rather nervous about what happens to me now as my strings are up inside me and I have heard horror stories about how doctors have tried to "hook" out of people and now been successful and have had to operate.

Gulp! Me thinks that I may just not have sex with husband anymore, can't beat that sort of contraception!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now