MIrena Coil and weight gain!!!!!! Anyone else have it?

(265 Posts)
allthegirls Fri 04-Nov-05 08:19:50

Hi

I have had the mirena coil for just over a year now and have put on massive amounts of weight!! I have put on around 1 1/2 stone!!!!!! I go to the gym at least 3 times a week but try to go 4. i do a hard work out for an hour and am actually quite fit for a fatty!! But what is really annoying is the fact that despite all this I never seem to lose weight. Infact it is the oppposite the pounds just seem to creep on. It is really getting me down now. Has anyone else had the same problems with the mirena coil? I am going to get an appointment with the doctors hopefully next week but just wanted to hear from anyone else who may of had the same problems!

lily070 Thu 08-Nov-12 15:39:38

Im having mine out this evening, so will update in a week or so.

hi, ive had the coil in for 2and a half years now due to irregular bleeds which was due to a polyp and was adviced to have the coil. i had to go to Spire health hospital as i thought they maybe able to remove the polyp.. apparently it was too tough to remove so the coilk was fitted. i now bleed between 10-12 days per month, my stomach is bloated and the weight gain of 1 and a half stone. i feel huge and almost a size 16 in everything i wear. the doctors advice me to ' go with it' as the pill has more hormone along with the implant and injection. so apparently im better off with coil. the copper coil was ruled out as it can be painful. the pressure now that everyone has to be a certain weight and a healthy BMI i hate feeling im being judged by my weight and size

Laur3 Mon 01-Apr-13 17:12:38

I had the mirena put in 8 weeks ago. I had it in during a laparoscopy & other gynae procedures. Thought it would be the answer to all my prayers for contraception reasons. Husband & I don't want anymore children. I've had 3 sections and my womb had become attached to my bowl due to the sticky adhesions from the c-sec scar tissue hence gynae procedures being carried out 8 weeks ago. Anyways I'm posting this as after just a shirt amount of time I've gained about 4lb in weight, I'm only 5ft and am feeling really yuck. I couldn't understand why this was happening but after standing on the scales yesterday and googling today it's dawned on me that it is the coil, before my weight gain starts to creep on and on and on I've decided to call GP tomorrow to have a chat. I'm annoyed as consultant didn't mention any side affects whatsoever to me but I'm determined to get it out after chatting to my sister (just had hers removed as didn't suit her) plus reading all these stories I'm just not going to "give it time etc" I'm also feeling a bit snappy and irritated and feel that everything I'm feeling now is just going to escalate and get worse. In 5 years time I'm not prepared to be 3 or 4 or more stone overweight just to ease my contraception worries. My husband will have to have the snip.

When I had my 6 week check the nurse asked if I had had any problems & didn't mention weight gain, I was just delighted that my bleeding was non existent BUT my boobs are SO painful a few days before the very light spotting starts. Like pregnancy boobs. Very very painful. On examination to check threads she discovered I have a tilted womb and that the coil is very high up, she doubted I would ever have found them myself (not that I wanted to try....) so now I'm a bit wary of the removal as I reckon the GP (our GP does the removal and insertion, not the nurse) will have a bit of a problem trying to take it out. Intact the thought of it makes me tightly cross my legs.....:-( will update on here if anyone like me is experiencing the same downsides to this so called "miraculous little device" for those it suits it really it just that but I've got a sinking feeling its just not for me.

tomisa Wed 01-May-13 00:36:04

ive had the marina coil fitted now for the second time and first time round i was 25 when i got it in i had it for 5 years although there was a signifigate amount of weight gain i didnt blame the coil but i put on at least 6 stone and tried to no avail of looseing it . i got the marina out at 30 and got the ordinary coil in id that in for 11 years i lost 5 stone in the past 4 years and was doing really great untill i had the marina fitted in june last year and iv gained 32 pounds since and iv tried everything to loose it iv even tried slimming tablets of all kinds but i really cant loose it but in saying that im constantly hungry and cant stop eating and yes i do blame the marina for this now that im seeing other reviews on it . im making an appointment to get it taken out . im now 42 and having the experience of these years with both coils id recommend getting it out as there is a deffinate pattern here. good luck. i will keep you posted on my progress over the next few months ,hope this helps

ElenorRigby Wed 30-Oct-13 06:00:50

Bumping this thread as I think the content is really important!! shock
Thanks to all the ladies above for sharing their stories!

I had a Mirena fitted a few months after giving birth to DD who is now 6.
I was 12 stone after having DD which I lost quite easily at first. I went from size 16-18 to size 12 in about 3 months. I then had the mirena fitted for contraception purposes.
My weight shot back up and Ive sat around size 16-18 for the last few years. I had tried dieting over the years but found it really difficult even a pound. I have had a huge tum which makes me look pregnant.
I thought my metabolism was shot and I was doomed to be fat and frumpy.

I had the thing out 2 days ago. Already my stomach and boobs have changed shape. Also my libido has come back which was v low.

I will post up any weight loss when it happens!

sara731 Sat 08-Feb-14 20:32:27

Hi, as many of you experienced the weight gain becausr of minera, I can tell you that it happened to me too. But even if I removed 6months ago, the weight did no shift back, infact though I am always on diet and going to the gym the weight is fixed to an unhealthy 83 kg! I haven't back my periods and I keep suffering hot flush. I am so frustrated. What should I do? I am young yet since I am just 40. Doctor sais it is not minera's faut an the rest is fine... ot is just me

gooshi13 Thu 20-Mar-14 14:42:19

I am 33 year old mum with 2 children. I had mirena put in a year ago. Straight after i started noticing weight gain within a few weeks i put on 3 kilos. I was thinking it maybe my eating that causing it,so i started watching my diet and cycling but the weight crept on despite all my efforts. I went from being 68 kilos to a massive 79! Also i had started lactating and having cravings but the pregnancy tests were negative. Finally i had mirena removed 25/02/2014 and after a week had my first period with massive blood clots and a heavy flow.Still waiting for lactating to stop and hopefully loose the extra weight.

jennieadams Wed 21-May-14 01:23:45

After reading all of these threads and having suffered from all of the negative symptoms since having mine fitted in march 2013, I was determined to have mine removed ASAP by my doctors but then I read about people performing self removal so I decided to have a go and hey presto!! The bloody thing is out!!!

���������� Wahooo!!! It was much easier than I thought it would be and it didn't hurt (I have permanent discomfort anyway from it) I thought I was going mad as I too have the bone pain in my lower (left leg) - having it as we speak.

I also have the slightly blurry vision, awful mood swings, constantly stressed n angry with our like boy n girl over nowt, rotten skin, greasier hair, stress incontinence, aches and pains, sore boobs, no libido (poor hubby is lucky if he's gotten lucky around half a dozen times since last March ��) over a stone and a half weight gain ������, massive bloated thighs, and well body basically despite being more active (I'm not the heaviest I've ever been but none of my clothes from when I was fit because I'm soooo soooo bloated ��) and probably all of the negative things that peeps have described.

I only had it fitted coz the hubster is terrified of the snip and point blank reduses and docs said it would be answer to heavy (not painful) periods which it was a great solution to because I had hardly any after the first 3 months but I've had almost constant cramps and ovulation pain which I knew would get worse as I have suspected pcos but I'd much rather have a pain free heavy period for a couple of days than the troubles caused by this monstrous device - imo it was designed by the devil!!! �� ��

I've been to my doctors and I did discuss removal but the one i saw said it would have to be one of the docs trained in fitting who would have to remove it - I really can't see why tho coz once I was determined I did it straight away....

Haven't told dh yet as he's pushing zzzzeds and if I "crash" I'll let you know but hoping I don't as we're going away for a couple of days on Saturday - here's hoping I'll have lost some weight by then eh? ��

jennieadams Wed 21-May-14 01:26:57

lil boy n girl not like and refuses point blank not reduses.., darn autocorrect!! confused

passion3flower Mon 28-Jul-14 23:33:26

There's a very informative site with lots of information on how to lose weight and get rid of the mirena iud side effects and find other natural birth control options. Check out: mirenadetox.com/mirena-weight-gain/ Her detox has also been immensely helpful to my recovery and I seriously recommend it

glamfran Tue 05-Aug-14 14:53:59

I had the mirena coil fitted about 10 months ago, the periods have stopped, and the bleeding has virtually stopped as have the cramps, but the spots on the face have started, I am easily upset and my weight gain has been terrible. I am now 15 stone, prior to this I was 13 stone. I have no sex drive and no interest in sex at all. I can't bear my husband to see me without any clothes on! I am considering having the mirena coil removed as soon as possible.

chestermum1 Sat 16-Aug-14 10:12:49

Hello...this is my contribution and true personal experience on Mirena! If you are reading this you are probably desperate for some info...well, I had the mirena coil fitted in January 2010 following my daughter birth in Dec 2009. Like most women, I tried to seek advice and read the internet including this tread as well as speak to my GP and my sister who was in her final years of Medical school....BUT for some stupid reason I allowed my GP and nurse convince me to it was the best option!!! so i went ahead with it.....its true that the periods stopped, and the painful cramps i used to have, BUT the HORRIBLE effect was the spots on the face which ruined the even skin I used to have, and my Weight gain has been depressing and horrible!!!After child birth (jan 2010) I weighed 12 stones. I reached 15.5 stones in Jan 2014, During the 4 yrs I went back to my GP several times complaining about my weight gain and each times they managed to convinced me that other factors were contributing to that?? I joined my local gym and worked out hard 3 times a week(body pump-wed, zumba-fri and body compact-sat) these are all high impact classes mind you BUT I was just floating between 14-15 stones for 4 yrs. Like the previous mum said I found I had no sex drive and no interest in sex at all. As I could not bear been seen naked! Plus the coil threads had an annoying effect during sex for my partner as he could feel it there.... but felt hopeless with MIRENA until my bleeds returned! In May 2014, when I decided enough is enough. I returned to the GP each time it was happening and finally she agreed to remove it! This was 5 weeks ago! OMG.....The weight is coming off me naturally and that's not a lie...thus not massively. I have lost 7 lbs since and I pray I carry on...the funny thing is my GYM membership ended in July therefore not been back since and here Iam loosing weight I havent been able to loose for almost 5 years???So ladies you be the judges-do you agree with GPs that other factors are contributing in ur weight gain or ?? Goodluck for those thinking of having it removed and it will be good to share progress with each other while on MIRENA and "LIFE AFTER MIRENA" which will be my new blog/thread once i figure out how to set it up-so see you there.......

cah85 Tue 23-Sep-14 08:49:56

I had the Mirena Coil fitted 13 weeks ago now and I am due my 2nd check up with the nurse today as I raised a few issues at the 6 week check up.
Since having the coil fitted I have already noticed an increase in appetite (I am actually managing to snack relatively healthily though) and a definite weight increase.
I have been getting headaches. Mood swings are terrible. I am always really bloated and actually feel like I look pregnant again.
This has all been since having the coil fitted.
I mentioned all of this to the nurse when I saw her and she assured me that none of it is related to the coil and put it down to not long having had my daughter (she was 8 weeks when I had coil fitted) and the stress of being a single mum to two babies (my son is only 2 1/2).
A few friends and a family member recommended the coil and have said that after the initial settling in period they were fine, I however am still having periods and spotting inbetween along with the other problems I have mentioned.
After reading through this thread I will be raising the issues again with the nurse today and am going to give serious consideration to having it removed and trying another form of contraception so thank you all for being so honest about your experiences with the coil x

LL12 Sun 28-Sep-14 09:04:08

Why do GP's treat grown adults like 5 year olds? You know if you are gaining weight and if you are eating more or not, yet any side affect from the coil or indeed other types of contraception are instantly ignored or played down by the GP.
I have had problems with my weight since starting the contraceptive pill, within 2 weeks my body shape changed and gained weight, yet nothing else changed such as what I was eating or how I was exercising. All GP's instantly say the weight gain is a myth, well why is it listed as a possible side effect then? Why do so many women have the same problems?
It seems that they are just reading off some NHS script.
The GP said the Coil is not suitable for me and after reading this thread I would not want it anyway.

Have any of you that have had the coil out due to side affects changed to the contraceptive pill and still had weight gain problems?

dun1urkin Tue 30-Sep-14 23:05:59

I haven't read the whole thread (sorry not sorry grin) but wanted to add my experience, too.

I've had Mirena for 14 years (am due to have my 4th next summer)

During that time I have lost, and kept off, 5 stone, and haven't had a period, either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now