MIrena Coil and weight gain!!!!!! Anyone else have it?

(257 Posts)
allthegirls Fri 04-Nov-05 08:19:50

Hi

I have had the mirena coil for just over a year now and have put on massive amounts of weight!! I have put on around 1 1/2 stone!!!!!! I go to the gym at least 3 times a week but try to go 4. i do a hard work out for an hour and am actually quite fit for a fatty!! But what is really annoying is the fact that despite all this I never seem to lose weight. Infact it is the oppposite the pounds just seem to creep on. It is really getting me down now. Has anyone else had the same problems with the mirena coil? I am going to get an appointment with the doctors hopefully next week but just wanted to hear from anyone else who may of had the same problems!

rickman Fri 04-Nov-05 10:58:39

Message withdrawn

Superblastofflips Fri 04-Nov-05 11:00:16

as you go to the gym... sounds like youve turn your fat into muscle maybe??

winnie Fri 04-Nov-05 11:01:24

I thought I'd put on weight because of the coil and everyone tells me it is not possible. There is a thread here somewhere.

winnie Fri 04-Nov-05 11:10:31
mymama Fri 04-Nov-05 11:13:00

Don't know about the coil but I found when I was on the Depoprovera injection for contraception I gained heaps of weight because it made me hungry all of the time. I ate healthy and exercised but was eating far too much. Maybe the coil has same affect.

Loobz Sun 06-Nov-05 01:22:44

Yep and couldn't lose it - no matter how good I'd been. Got it taken out and weight has come off okay!!!

linnywith2 Sun 06-Nov-05 14:57:54

have had mirena since june 04 and cant say it influenced my weight honestly..
having said that i do (did) have a weight problem and joined weight watchers in april this year and lost 35lbs and am now a gold member..
maybe its your diet?
i know from past experience that no matter how hard you work out you still need to watch your food intake.. last year i was playing football, training HARD 3 times a week and couldnt shift a pound.. know its prob not what you wanted to hear allthegirls..

louise35 Sun 06-Nov-05 22:20:58

Hi, I was just about to put a post on the lighter life thread and I spotted this one. I had the miena put in 7 weeks ago, about 3 days before I started the lighter life diet. So far it has not affected my weight as far as I know. I had lost 25 pounds up until last week, at a rate of around 4 pound per week then last week I had only lost 1 pound. I am beginning to wonder if the effect of the mirena is finally catching up and my weight loss is starting to slow down. If my weight loss stops altogether then I know tht the mirena has started to effect me. I will keep you posted. If you check the thread about the mirena I think you will find that there are lots of ladies who have gained weight and lost it again when the mirena has been removed. Apparently, most of the weight gain is supposed to be water, thats why is supposedly comes straight off when the coil is removed. Hope this helps, Louise.

poppyseed Sun 06-Nov-05 22:25:46

I've had the mirena for around a year now. I've recently lost a stone with WW and the gym so am now my thinnest for nearly 7 years . Don't honestly think that the mirena made me put on weight - more like the biscuits if I'm honest . What I do notice though is that I can fluctuate up to 4/5 pounds over the month due to water retention that I never had before.

amandaf Tue 20-Mar-07 16:07:16

sorry, harping on about mirena again... now im getting migraines at least twice a week, after having had about 10 in 35 years. went to my doctor who told me it cant be down to the mirena. i also mentioned that i cant lose even a pound in weight, now weighin 14.5 stones, last july i was 12 stone. he said this had nothing to do with mirena either, he's put me on betablockers to prevent migraine.
is it me or is there something looking like side affects????

bellarosa Wed 21-Mar-07 21:03:15

I also have a mirena and have found that the weight has gone steadily up since having it put in in august despite increased exercise/ dieting. am about to have it taken out on thursday so will keep you posted as to any eight changes!

I have heard that some women get very moody and experience headaches as side effects All the info about mirena is very iffy about specific side effects, but because it has a hormone release in it then it is similar to the pill and therefor similar side effects can be expected.

hormonedebbie Sat 15-Mar-08 21:40:32

I had the minena coil fitted in Dec 07 due to heavy periods. I have gained about 5 lbs I have terrible mood swings and my breast become really painful before a period.
Some time i get really low. My periods are not has heavy I can go out when I have them now but they are slight longer than before.
Im going to stick with it for another 3 months that's if I haven't killed anyone by then!!!

hormonedebbie Sat 15-Mar-08 21:40:56

I had the minena coil fitted in Dec 07 due to heavy periods. I have gained about 5 lbs I have terrible mood swings and my breast become really painful before a period.
Some time i get really low. My periods are not has heavy I can go out when I have them now but they are slight longer than before.
Im going to stick with it for another 3 months that's if I haven't killed anyone by then!!!

Ags Sat 15-Mar-08 21:53:29

Hi, I had Mirena fitted in Sept. Did not notice any weight gain that I could not attribute to eating too much food! grin Joined weight watchers in JAn and have lost weight, as expected, since then. As a serial dieter, I know how much weight I can lose when I diet and Mirena does not seem to have affected my ability to lose weight at all. Also have no side effects apart from really long light periods. I see this as an improvement from really long heavy periods! When I read all the information about Mirena, it does seem as if every single side effect is possible so it is not surprising that it affects people differently. Sorry you are having a hard time with the weight gain.

Ags Sat 15-Mar-08 21:53:31

Hi, I had Mirena fitted in Sept. Did not notice any weight gain that I could not attribute to eating too much food! grin Joined weight watchers in JAn and have lost weight, as expected, since then. As a serial dieter, I know how much weight I can lose when I diet and Mirena does not seem to have affected my ability to lose weight at all. Also have no side effects apart from really long light periods. I see this as an improvement from really long heavy periods! When I read all the information about Mirena, it does seem as if every single side effect is possible so it is not surprising that it affects people differently. Sorry you are having a hard time with the weight gain.

Ags Sat 15-Mar-08 21:54:24

Sorry, dh threw remote control and I lurched to try and catch it, missed but managed to post twice!

MrsThierryHenry Sun 23-Mar-08 23:40:12

I had the mirena for about 5 years and I definitely noticed an increased weight gain. It apparently does affect your appetite, and the instructions that come with it do say so. I couldn't find the instructions online, but the v reliable netdoctor website should help (scroll down to near the bottom): www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100001706.html

Some people experience weight gain and some just don't. Could be a metabolism thing - who knows?

sammic Tue 03-Jun-08 11:58:03

Hi, Ive put this message on other sites as there seems to be many probs with the Merina. Thought it would be helpful for others to here about my probs, if anything to make others realise ther're not on their own. Hope it helps!

I cant believe what Ive read about the side effects! Ill tell my story - as the stories ive read on other sites have certainly helped me and I didnt even realise I needed help!

For about 8 years now Ive put on nearly 4 stone - put it down to turning 30 and also still to this day blame it on pregnancy weight (my youngest son is now 9!).

Ive suffered bad back pain - doctor said on many occasions that is muscular, ive put down to weight gain.

Mood swings - and depression 6 years ago - tablets given and I think went away - I can never be sure really! Even the Dog knows not to approach me in the mornings! Didnt think I was still depressed just put it down to two beautiful but demanding, moaning children and an unreasonable boyfriend who doesnt do as I say!

Worst of all have been the Migraines, theyve been horrific. Never suffered them before being 30 so blamed all my ailments on age and change in lifestyle! Doctor perscribed me stronger tablets, which I am popping like smarties. Im constantly getting my eyes tested thinking it must be that. Im even scheduled to have a heart scan because she has now informed me that Migraines can be caused by Heart Palpitations!!!!!?????

After my first child (now 12) I had the Copper IUD Coil - no hormones involved, all was fine but decided to have have child No2 (now 9)so had it removed. The second birth caused many problems (he weighed 10 lbs but anoyingly he is now very stick thin!), including stress incontenence so had to have an op to correct things. My Gyno informed me after the op that she also found endometriosis (i wasnt aware of it!) and she cleared that and fitted the Merina, apparently keeps it at bay. Great, wanted another coil fitted so saved me the agro. I wasnt aware at the time that there were different coils.

3 years on I needed another op and again while I was under she renewed the Merina for me. So I have now had the 2nd one in for about 5 years. Ive been thinking lately that it must need changing, hence why I googled to find any info and came across this website.

I thought the Merina was the best thing ever until I read the stories! Havent had a period for 8 years, never suffered from heavy periods before but it was still a lovely break! But that was the only advantage I had.

All of a sudden it dawned on me - could almost see the tumbleweed go by! Weight gain, bad back, awful migraines (sickness and bedridden for 2 days sometimes) and mood swings so bad that the father of my children is no longer around! God I hope he doesnt see this, after all the heartache it could be down to the Merina! Anyway, new life and happy now - I think!!!

Im due for a smear next week and am seriously considering having it removed, give my body a break. Problem being Im not good with the pill and am not sure what else to do? Ive gently put this question to my long term boyfriend who obviously couldnt come up with a suggestion so, even more gently, asked him how he felt about the snip (nasty of me I know, but had to rule all possibilities out before I decided!!!) Well he instantly clutched his 3 piece and I thought he was about to cry! "You cant take my manhood away, thats barbaric, you might as well crush them with 2 bricks!"

Trust me, his reaction nearly had me running out to the garden to find some! Anyway, Ive now realised perhaps Im asking too much, maybe Ill try the IUD copper coil again.

I had never connected my ailments to the Merina. Will see what the nurse says next week, but im 99% sure its gonna come out.

So fingers crossed by next year ill be 3 stone lighter, migraine free, backache free and a bit more happier in the mornings!!

Failing that, Ill go on an even stricter diet which will hopefully get rid of the backache, keep popping the migraine pills, change the boyfriend to one that doesnt have an opinion and look into sending the kids to a sweatshop somewhere in India!

Joking aside though, thanks to everyone who has posted msgs regarding the Merina, good or bad, but Im looking foward to maybe starting life again with a painfree happy smile on my face. Wish me Luck!!!

gingernutlover Tue 03-Jun-08 12:08:46

hi i've had mirena since last autumn and although havent really put on any wieght i am finding it very very hard to lose any at all and keep it off not sure if this is the mirena or the fact that i have lost wieght in the past and now have the last stpone to go - which everyone says is notoriously difficult

i have found i have terrible pmt/pms now though, to the point where i reaLLY THOUGHt i was going back downt he route of pnd, am taking evening primrose but because my cycle ha sbecome a bit unpredictable i am fiding it hard to decide when to take higher dose you meant to have befpore your periood

budrose Tue 03-Jun-08 17:31:42

i had my mirena fitted a few months ago and, having been exactly same weight for last 15 years (apart from during two pregnancies), i have put on five pounds which i cannot shift. i have also developed bizarre cravings for sugary food which i cannot control. has there been any proper long-term research done on this thing? or are doctors so pleased with the improvements in heavy periods and dramatic fall in no of hysterectomies as result of mirena they dont really care about a few more tubby women about the place?

mumoftwo37 Tue 03-Jun-08 17:36:18

I had one put in in Sept - put on half a stone. Had terrible migraines and pmt so the doctor took it out 3 weeks ago - I have lost the weight and don't feel as bloated so I am glad it is gone. The only problem is I have been bleeding heavily for the last two weeks, the doctor thinks this is to do with my body and hormones having to readjust.

sammic Wed 04-Jun-08 12:37:49

hi mumoftwo37

Pleased to hear things are almost back to normal for you. Apparently you do bleed heavily after but will settle down. Ive read on another site that because the coil produced the hormones needed, your body eased up on producing them and now that the coil is out and not producing them your body needs time to adjust so that it can start producing again. Ive also heard that during this period you may feel 'a bit down' due to lack of hormones.

Hope the good changes continue for you, and I hope that because ive had a mirena for nearly 9 years now that I dont get 9 years worth of bleeding!!

Kernewek Sun 06-Jul-08 19:39:06

Hi. I have the mirena fitted October 2007. In the first 2 weeks I gained around 5lbs in weight, which is very unusual for me as during the winter months I am usually 1/2 stone lighter than in the summer months. By January 2008 I had noticed that I had gained 1 stone and went to see my doctor, she said that the hormone in the Merina is so small it would not make a difference to my weight and put it down to Xmas overeating! I am now almost 2 stone heavier and 2 dress sizes bigger than I was a year ago - I eat healthily and exercise daily. I went back to the doctor this week and she is still claiming it is not the Mirena. I have spots, headaches and weight gain - I am thoroughly depressed with the Mirena. My periods are also more painful and prolonged. Should I switch to a Copper Coil?

Kernewek Sun 06-Jul-08 19:39:08

Hi. I have the mirena fitted October 2007. In the first 2 weeks I gained around 5lbs in weight, which is very unusual for me as during the winter months I am usually 1/2 stone lighter than in the summer months. By January 2008 I had noticed that I had gained 1 stone and went to see my doctor, she said that the hormone in the Merina is so small it would not make a difference to my weight and put it down to Xmas overeating! I am now almost 2 stone heavier and 2 dress sizes bigger than I was a year ago - I eat healthily and exercise daily. I went back to the doctor this week and she is still claiming it is not the Mirena. I have spots, headaches and weight gain - I am thoroughly depressed with the Mirena. My periods are also more painful and prolonged. Should I switch to a Copper Coil?

lainey1802 Mon 14-Jul-08 21:44:37

I had my mirena coil fitted about 8-10 weeks ago. I thought it would be the ideal solution for contraception and help with quite heavy periods. All seemed to be going quite well and on my six week check up I did say at the clinic that I had put on 7 pounds quite quickly - was the coil to blame? I was told it was because alot of people relax more about their bodies and their periods are lighter that they seem to perhaps eat more?? (and toblerone was BOGOF at Tesco?), but I don't think this is the case shock . I am the heaviest I have ever been and am not happy if the coil is having this affect on my body. The plus side is the lighter non-existant periods but if your body isn't expelling much is it just harbouring it all and putting it in your bigger size jeans?? I will have to seriously consider having it taken out and going back on the pill - what other choice is there???

Wounduplikeacoil Wed 16-Jul-08 18:48:39

This is my first post here. It is so good to read other peoples' experiences. I have struggled with my weight all my life. I discovered weight watchers though and it really worked for me - I lost 4 stone and kept it off. This was before my coil was fitted. After a fourth baby, I decided that I didn't want any more kids and the doctor recommended the coil as a good contraceptive solution.

I noticed the weight problems from very early on - within the first two months - I really struggled to stay the same weight and if I wasn't walking every day and eating healthily, I gained weight.

This along with lethargy, moodiness, depression, ibs, weak bladder conrol, insomnia, restless legs and big sore boobs does not make for a happy camper!

My doctor said that there were rarely any side effects with the mirena so I never would have put all these symptoms together. Now that I have done my research, I can see that it is most certainly my coil that has left me in a physical and emotional mess.

I had it removed 3 days ago and have now taken my period and it has never felt so good - like a release. Yes the bleeding is a nuisance, but I really feel that its right for me. Girls who have had success with this are very lucky, those of us who haven't been so lucky, would need to think again. I have a few friends who have a mirena fitted and bewtween us all we didn't really add up all the symptoms we were having. We were putting down to our age - only in our mid-thirties mind you-they are all making Gp appointments for a chat.

Good luck to you all, you deserve to feel better and be in control of your body.

blowsy Wed 16-Jul-08 18:56:48

I totally relate to this - I had a Mirena for 18 months during which I gained weight for the first time in my life and became very spotty. I also had hideous breast tenderness and mastitis!!

Had it removed and skin cleared up and weight fell off, boobs returned to normal - am convinced that for some, hormone in Merina is not a good thing.

Wounduplikeacoil Wed 16-Jul-08 22:53:52

Hi blowsy, how soon after removal did your boobs go down and the weight start to drop? Did your GP have anything to say about the side effects you experienced, and how they went away when had it removed?

I just don't know why they are so keen for us all to have them fitted. They should point out that these side effects are a possibility and that we should look out for them.

I am just glad that I have discovered why I feel the way I do now, and not in 5 or 10 years' time. I want to be 'fab at 40' not 'fat at 40'!!!!

Will check in again soon.x

happyjot Thu 31-Jul-08 12:33:36

I'm so glad I have found this thread, i thought I was going mad or just being weird.
I had my 2nd child 14 weeks ago and had the mirena fitted about 5-6 weeks ago and at my check up said all was well but this last week I cannot get full. I am constantly hungry despite eating reasonable portions of healthy food. Prior to mirena I was also doing quite well with losing baby weight now it has come to a dead stop and if anything I am doing moreexercise etc in my days than before. I have always been slightly overweight but determined after this baby to get to my correct weight but with this hunger I can't see it being possible as I am bloody miserable and obsessed by food all the time. I don't really have other choices though due to family history I can't have the pill and my hubby and I am are very fertile, both babies on first time trying, so don't wanna take chances. Has anyone experienced this hunger and how did you cope with it?

Wounduplikeacoil Thu 31-Jul-08 16:31:00

Hi happyjot

My hunger pangs started at about 6 or 7 weeks too. I gave my mirena 2 1/2 years, thinking it would all settle down. I thought it was just me being greedy as far as the appetite was concerned, but having found this thread, i know i was not going crazy. It affected my whole life - my husband and 4 kids would vouch for that! I also felt like the more I exercised the more I weighed. I have successfully lost weight and maintained it in the past, between children, but I could just not do it with that thing inside me. I am almost 3 weeks since removal and I feel much,much better.

The appetite has reduced already - I now eat my meals and enjoy them and then forget about it until I am hungry again. I gained around 14 lbs while I had it in, and it would have been more if I hadn't been walking everyday and eating healthily as much as I possibly could.

As for contraception, my hubby has agreed to go for the snip!! Sorry I can't advise you on your situation. maybe talk to your doctor about the copper coil with no hormone in it?

Teegs64 Tue 05-Aug-08 23:54:47

Hi
Ive had the mirena coil fitted since july 07, i bled for 6 weeks when it was fitted,then my heavy periods seemed to settle down,to almost none or a one day event.BUT........... 24 days ago i started bleeding really heavy,far worse than before i had the coil fitted,going through 7 pairs of jeans in 5 days at one point,i feel totally drained,its still really heavy after 24 days.
And as for the weigh gain,ive put 2 stone on in 13 months,which i just cant seem to shift,my stomach seems to be swollen.
I want it taken out asap,but as im constantly bleeding,so i cant go to my gp,until ive stopped blush
Has anyone else experience this kind of problem with the mirena? Im wondering if it has become dislodged! Hope someone can help me out,as i feel as thought im going to bleed to death.

Tidgypuds Wed 06-Aug-08 00:00:31

I had mirena fitted 3 years ago and I am still 8st the same weight I was before.
I have no periods at all. I do occasionally get acute ovulation pain on alternative sides.
Still get a bit emotional once a month for a day or so, sore boobs etc. but generally everything ok.
Much better than heavy periods and PMT.

Teegs64 Sun 10-Aug-08 23:42:53

Hi
Its me again! no one really answered my question,so im trying again,as im getting desperate!
Ive now had a period for 29 days,and losing such huge clots, gone through so many clothes,and bed sheets.
I have a mirena coil fitted,and my periods had almost stopped, but this has just drained me completely, as well as gaining 2 stones in weight in 13 months.
Ive also got a pain in my lower right side of my stomach, and feel pretty lousy.

tobleedornottobleed Wed 13-Aug-08 17:07:31

god if only i had found this site earlier!!!!
I had the mirena fitted 4 and half years ago. I have suffered with what was thought to be major depession then that changed to extreme pms for which the g.p prescribed yet more anti depressants. I have virtually wrecked my marriage cos of my mood swings and whatever he does is just not good enough (angry) my poor kids especially the eldest says you've got the look and goes upstairs. I have had extreme bouts of anger where I have physically ripped doors off. I can't bloody remember hardly anything and am always so confused (hmm) and have suffered bad headaches/migraines. i have even been so low that i tried to top me self. with the weight i have always had a bit of a problem but since the coil was put in I am like a bloody beached whale even though i dont sit down to eleven at night normally always on the bloody go! Non of this was my personality I had always been known as being lively and bubbly and great fun to be around (not now)
I was givien this miracle coil to stop the heavy bleeding that i suffered for 3 weeks out of 4.what a price to pay to not bleed lucky me NOT. I am going straight to get the coil taken out and hopefully get back to my former self. Wouldn't mind but I didn't think anything about the coil till ablout 3 days ago and thought hold on you've been like this since it was fitted could this be whats wrong with me then hallujah i found that i am not the only one thanks girls thought i was completely mad.

Teegs64 Sun 17-Aug-08 01:05:49

hi tobleedornottobleed
Please keep me posted as to how you get on, I tried to get mine out last week,but now its disapeared, got to go for a scan now,to try and find the bloody thing, im really fed up of it,i just want it out asap

Coomsey Fri 29-Aug-08 06:35:00

I've just come across this site and am amazed that so many women are experiencing the same negative symptoms that I have been. I wanted to share my symptoms with you in case you find solace in them like I did reading about others (when I thought I was going mad).

I had the mirena fitted in July 07 following a laparoscopy for endometriosis. I had happily been using the depo injection for 4 years before hand with no symptoms at all.

My endo specialist advised this was the best form of treatment for endo and also the best option for preserving fertility for later in life.

Almost immediately I had excruciatingly painful breasts (which lasted for 9 months) so that high impact exercise was ruled out during that time. My breasts also grew and I'm now a full cup bigger than I was and I'm now almost going into the next cup size (a 2 cup increase).
I have also steadily gained weight despite going to weight watchers religiously and following the program (no cheating!) as well as intensive exercise. I have now put on 6 kgs (1 stone) which is very depressing.

As a result of this constant weight gain I have seen a dietician who has been monitoring my daily food intake, as well as my weight watchers leader, and both feel my food intake is extremely healthy and shouldn't be resulting in this constant gain. I have even been tested for food intolerances to see if this was causing the weight gain, but all tests have come back negative.

I have also been able to feel the coil almost daily, often getting cramping and pain down one leg. It sometimes feels like it catches on something which sends a wave of nausea through me.

As a teenager I suffered terribly from bad acne but went on roacutan to clear it up. Since going on the mirena my acne has slowly but surely returned.

The only benefit for me has been the complete stopping of periods, which have been traditionally heavy and painful, and I can now have sex pain free (but this is probably more due to the laparoscopy than the mirena).

I think the mirena could work wonders for people who are suited to it but it clearly has some very negative side effects for others.

I have become increasingly depressed over my constant weight gain and acne return and I whilst I'm not unhappy that my breasts are now bigger, the pain I experience with them outweighs the positives.

I have a doctors appointment next week and I will be having it removed as I think being happier and weighing less is far more important than period free and fat! I will post an update once it has been removed - fingers crossed it will be about weight loss and improved happiness!

rocket1971 Fri 29-Aug-08 23:22:50

Hi Coomsey,
Glad to hear I am not the only women going nuts after having the mirena fitted, I only had mine in on 31st May this year and thank god it is coming out on Monday, I am counting down the hours.

I had it fitted purely for contraception and nothing else, periods were fine etc. Since having it fitted dreadful stomach cramps, have had a cist appear on my right ovary which I am told can be a side effect... great did not know about that one along with weight gain, sporadic periods and the most awful mood swings sad my Husband cannot wait for me to get rid of this. I was before a very happy go lucky person who has now become moody, miserable and suddenly developed a sweet tooth which I have never had.

I think this is good for some women out there, but I have more bad than good reports about and am not keen at all. Roll on Monday morning when I be skipping out the Doctors with a huge sigh of relief. Would be interested in your update after removal, I just hope my system settles down and more importantly the weight starts to shift.

oldcrock Sat 30-Aug-08 22:02:52

I too have gained over 1 stone since my Mirena was put in last autumn, I seem to be constantly hungry! On the plus side I have virtually no periods and my boobs have grown about a size!

I'm giving Slimming World a go first, but if that's not successful, it's coming out!

Kernewek Fri 05-Sep-08 17:40:08

Hi, I have had the mirena coil removed in July and a Nova T coil put in its place. Although my first period was hell, the mood swings and headaches have all but disappeared which is great. The downside is that the weight has not come off as yet but the good news is that at least the weight is not getting worse. Any idea how long it was for others to see weight loss??

sinwaxing Thu 18-Sep-08 12:19:00

Firstly, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to write something! I have been so relieved to read it all, without it I think I would feel alot worse. My experience with the mirena has been the same as most. Weight gain. I have never ever had a problem with my weight despite 2 kids and after 18months of the coil I have gained 1 1/2 stone. The worst of it is, alot of the weight is on my stomach which is unusual for me, if I have ever gained a pound ere and there it has always been bum and thighs. My stomach looks bloated. Nothing has changed in my diet or lifestyle in fact I would say I eat way more sensibly now. I have had the coil removed for 3 months now and nothing has changed, I have cut out ANY treats and have been to gym which I never used to do and not a pound have I shifted. Very depressing. Did anyone else suffer with itching? I felt instant relief when it was taken out.... like a fire had been put out? Can anyone tell of having lost the weight and how long and the measures

psmithy Thu 18-Sep-08 14:03:14

I have had only 1 migraine in 40 years, then I had the Mirena put in in May and had 3 and constant dull headaches. Doctor hasn't mentioned that it could be Mirena, she just says I have to get on with dealing with the migraine. One was so bad I couldn't talk ( migraine with aura) and hardly see and ended up in hospital. Perhaps it could be the Mirena, I just thought it was my age at 41!!

What does anyone think???? HELP!!

herbietea Thu 18-Sep-08 14:06:14

Message withdrawn

MollyCherry Sun 19-Oct-08 09:15:44

This is really interesting. I've had my Mirena for 3 1/2 years, and from a contraception and no periods point of view it's great.

My mum has always said she thought it hadn't helped my weight, and I dismissed the idea, but having looked at the list of side effects and seen some other stuff that I have been experiencing (cysts, acne, depression) am seriously considering having it removed.

Time to send hubby for the snip methinks!

Leebo Sat 08-Nov-08 01:47:26

Hi Everyone

I wish I had came across this website sooner. I have had my mirena coil in for a year and a half. I have put on 3 stone and feel like a zombie as I am so tired. I am getting it taken out in 2 weeks time and I cant wait. I am so embarrassed about my weight gain that I dont like going out. I cant get into the clothes I love and I feel like a 90 year old. My appetite has increased so much and I am ravenous for sugary stuff. I just feel like a "thing" and not a person ( Has anyone had similar experiences? Has anyone got the mirena out and been transformed back to their former self?

ladytophamhatt Sat 08-Nov-08 07:29:55

oh, bloody hell...I'm having one put in in a few weeks.

Might have a copper instead...

Leebo Mon 24-Nov-08 22:23:20

Hi, got a smear done, mirena taken out and T Safe copper coil put in today. I hope the weight shifts soon!! not to mention the fluid retention!! fingers crossed!

Beautie Mon 24-Nov-08 23:45:59

Hi,

I have also had the Mirena coil for about 3 years. My weight has steadily increased by about half a stone. My legs feel massive at times from fluid retention, I do now suffer from headaches, and I am on a topical anitbiotic lotion for my skin as I was getting Acne breakouts around the jaw line. I didn't have any of these things before. Maybe mildly but very occasionally. I mean we all feel bloated at times, get headaches and have a few spots but not like this. I put the weight gain down to feeling content and possibly my age as I am now in my early thirties. When I first had it put in my moods were awful, my legs blew up and I had a some ruptured cycts on my ovaries where I had to have a little trip to A & E. I am still having periods but they are lighter than before. You have to way up the symptoms you get from this compared to other contraception and pregnancy.Anyway all in all I am fed up with this and it has to be replaced next year anyway. My husband has made an appointment to have his vasectomy over Christmas so as soon as we have the all clear it def. coming out.....I can't wait.

Leebo Fri 28-Nov-08 23:11:04

Hi Beautie

I have fluid retention as well my face and hands swell up and my skin is sore with the tightness. I got rashes of spots on the back of my neck and round my hairline. I am hoping I can recover from the nightmare of the mirena quickly now that my copper coil is in. I had the copper one before and didnt experience any side effects such as this. Good luck and shake your husbands hand for me for being so supportive to you! wink

friendless Fri 28-Nov-08 23:18:37

I have had the Mirena for just over a year - have no periods at all but initially gained about 1.5 stone!! Have managed to lose 10lbs and keeping it off, but feel generally slower and more sluggish. Want to tackle the rest of the weight gain - but really don't eat that much! Damn coil - but it does the job it's designed for I suppose...

Bluey28 Fri 05-Dec-08 23:34:07

Hi
I have had mirena coil fitted in june of this year due to my heavy periods,my GP advised me to have a coil to make my period lighter,I thought that sounds great But Iam annoyed that doctors dont explained the full facts,only to say it just make periods lighter only for me to find out in few weeks later I put on weight even without changing my diet as I have normally had the same before I had the coil,and also I have become moody. I have had 2 major surgery on my back ( following an accident 11 yrs ago) I cannot afford to put on weight in order to help my back in comfort without pain,etc.So I have made an appoint next week to have it remove...please anyone tell me when they had coil removed, did the weight loss happen? back to normal,etc? I would love to hear from anyone if they had this kind of problems,thanks

Bluey28 Sat 13-Dec-08 14:49:02

Please anyone tell me when they have the coil removed , does the weight loss start to happen?
Since I had the coil fitted in ,in june of this year, my diet has not change at all but since the coil ,I noticed my boobs have got bigger ,even my friends have noticed, they were so shocked and the weight gain increse by each week, I just feel so bloated ,I think it the fluid retention ,I can actually feel in my legs and stomach which feel the worse, and also i keep wanting sugary snacks which is unlike me as i am so careful what I eat.
I have arrange an appointment with my GP next week to have the coil removed, I cannot wait to see if all the fluid retention goes ( fingewrs crossed) and stop feelin depressed which I have nothig to feel depressed about my life ...i have lovely house ,2 beautiful chidren and A great husband,please anyone tell me will all the weight go as soon as the coil is removed?and among the other symptons?
iam so angry the doctor never tells you the side effect cause weight gain,etc only to say it jsut cause to make periods lighter!

aprilcherry1 Mon 29-Dec-08 01:45:44

HALLO LADIES

IT'S MY 1ST POST ON THE BOARD AND AOH GOSH HAVE I LEARNT A LOT OR WAT! I HAD MY MERINA INSERTED FIRST WHEN I HAD A MISCARRIAGE IN OCTOBER, WITHIN A WEEK I ACCIDENATLLY PULLED IT OUT!! IT WAS THAT PAINFUL TO BE HONEST...THIS SHOCKED MY DOCTOR. BUT ANYWAY WHY I ACCIDENTALLY PULLED IT OUT WAS IT WAS TOO LONG AND I FELT IT HANGING OUT ON MY KNICKERS! SO I GOT CONFUSED AND FRIGHTENED I TOTALLY FORGOT I HAD A MIRENA COIL THEN BOOM I PULLED IT OUT..OUCH!!! I WAS GOBSMACKED! AFTER THAT I WENT ON MY PERIODS FOR 2 DAYS ONLY, THEN DECEMBER 08 WENT FOR THE NORMAL PERIOD, SO I MADE AN APPOINTMENT WENT THRU THE NORMAL CHECKS AT THE CLINIC AND GOT IT PUT IN LAST WEEK. I HAD PUT ON WEIGHT ALREADY AND EATING SWEET THINGS MORE THAN EVER. U WON'T BELIEVE THIS THAT THE REST OF THE WEEK INCLUDING NOW AS I AM WRITING THIS MAIL I HAVE A TERRIBLE, ITCHY, DRY RUSH ON MY FACE IT'S SO EMBARASSING. I HAVE ALWAYS HAD BEAUTIFUL SKIN EVEN PEOPLE USED TO COMPLIMENT ME, BUT I LOOK LIKE UGLY BETTY!!
I ALREADY HAVE ECZEMA SO YOU CAN IMAGINE WHAT IM GOING THRU. IM GETTING IT TAKEN OUT THIS WEEK DON'T CARE WAT THEY SAY. I HAVE PUT ON SO MUCH WEIGHT COZ THE HORMONES STAY IN THE BLOOD STREAM.
THIS MORNING MY 4 YR OLD STEP DAUGHTER SAID TO ME '...WHY ARE YOU HAVING A BIG STOMACH?!...' I WAS HORRIFIED & WAS IN TEARS!! SHE DIDN'T MEAN TO HURT ME BUT SURPRISINGLT MY PARTNER THE NIGHT BE4 WAS COMPLAINING ABT MY WEIGHT GAIN AND FROM FLAT TUMMY TO BIG MOMMA!!
I HOPE TO GET IT OFF FAST WILL SEE MY DOC 2MOROW AND IF GOD IS WILLING WILL GET IT OFF SOONEST.
THANX

gabygirl Mon 29-Dec-08 08:36:51

I have had problems with my Mirena coil.

I had it fitted two years ago. I started to get very, very tired and bleurgghhh a few months afterwards and then I got jaundiced. My skin wasn't yellow but the whites of my eyes were very discoloured.

I had a battery of tests and was told (eventually - took 6 months to get a diagnosis) that I had something called Gilbert's Syndrome, which apparently between 5 and 15% of the population have. Basically what it means is that your liver lacks a particular enzyme to process toxins AND HORMONES so you always have higher bilirubin levels than other people. It's not linked to severe liver disease and is supposed to be asymptomatic (apart from the jaundice) but my gp told me that many of her patients with Gilberts have all sorts of problems relating to it.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I asked my gp if I should have my Mirena out, because people with any sort of liver problems sometimes have problems with progesterone. I had the coil out 2 weeks ago and hey presto, my eyes are no longer yellow for the first time in 18 months. Which means that all this time the Mirena has been affecting my liver........... Hence the tiredness and general feelings of bleeurghhh

mum2ty Thu 01-Jan-09 21:25:32

HI,
GLAD TO SEE IT'S NOT JUST ME WITH BAD SIDE EFFECTS TO MIRENA AS HAD IT FITTED IN APRIL 2008 AS I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING WITH VERY HEAVY PERIODS& PAINS WITH SEX IN LEFTHAND SIDE SINCE THE BIRTH OF MY TWO KIDS-4+1/2+NEARLY 3. AFTER SEVERAL VISITS TO DR I WAS FINALLY OFFERED A LAPAROSCOPY& ANOTHER EXPLORATORY OP WHICH FOUND NOTHING. I WAS BASICALLY BADGERED INTO HAVING A MIRENA COIL AS BUT FOR A HYSTERECTOMY( WHICH I DON'T WANT AT 35 & UNSURE WHETHER I WANT MORE KIDS) THATS ALL THEY WOULD OFFER ME. I CHECKED IF IT WOULD HAVE AN IMPACT ON DEPRESSION AS I'VE SUFFERED IN THE PAST& ON WEIGHT GAIN BECAUSE I LOST A STONE & A HALF & KEPT IT OFF FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS TO BE 12 STONE(IM 6FT)-THEY SAID NO SIDE EFFECTS LIKE THAT!! .STRAIGHT AWAY I NOTICED I WAS GAINING WEIGHT & GETTING VERY FLABBY WHICH GETS YOU DOWN! AT MY FIRST REVIEW I ASKED & THEY SAID YES ITS A KNOWN SIDE EFFECT,THOUGHT WELL I WILL LET IT SETTLE DOWN. LAST REVIEW I WENT BACK & TOLD THEM I HAVE GAINED 2STONE!! & AM GETTING VERY STRESSED OUT,DOWN & DEPRESSED & SHORT-TEMPERED& THEY SAID OH NO THERE ARE NO SIDE EFFECTS AS THE MIRENA IS SYSTEMMIC?!! WHAT TOTAL BULL -I'M SO SELF CONSCIOUS PUTTING ON ALL THAT WEIGHT I AM AFRAID TO WEIGH MYSELF AS I KNOW IVE INCREASED AGAIN& I FEEL LIKE A BEACHED WHALE.IM DIVORCED & LOOK IN THE MIRROR & THINK WHO WILL WANT ME?! TROUBLE IS DO I HAVE IT TAKEN OUT & PUT UP WITH THE MONTHLY FLOODING PERIODS & PAINS?!! ANYONE ELSE STRUGGLED WITH THIS & FOUND THE SOLUTION? IM SO FED UP WITH IT I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO?!! I TOO SUFFER WITH LOW BACKPAIN & DON'T KNOW WHETHER ITS CONNECTED AT ALL? KERRY

Pollly Wed 07-Jan-09 00:31:42

Hi
I had a Mirena coil fitted May 2008 and at the same time I was attempting to lose weight after giving up smoking. The weight loss was very slow and so I joined weight watchers and have really struggled. I have quite a strong will and followed the plan but the weight has refused to move, the leader really does not believe that I am trying my best I can see it in her face! I have not stopped bleeding monthly and I am bloated, extrememly hungry all the time and I could cry if anyone even looks at my breasts, they are so tender. I am giving it till April and if no change I will have it taken out. I do feel better after joining this site tho and reading all your comments so THANKS, I am not alone!

Boosie Thu 08-Jan-09 20:09:52

I have never joined a blog but feel I have to add to this one! I have had the marina coil fitted for 2 years. I previously lost 2 stone for an operation and after that had the coil fitted. I have put on 3 stone in two years!! I have tried eating like a flea and exercising like a horse but no luck. Have now joined slimmers world but very very slow progress even though I am truly sticking to it. Have made an appointment to have coil removed and go back to the copper IUD which I had before and was great. Only went to the marina to ease periods but feel it has been ruining my life. Constantly bloated and have bought many pregnancy tests as feel as if I am but always negative thank God as have 2 kids and want no more. I shall let you know if the weight increase reduces once it has been removed. Can't wait to be meeee again! Thanks for all the advice. My doctor was adamant my weight gain was not down to the coil - I know differently.

endtoendo Tue 13-Jan-09 22:16:46

I had my coil fitted in November 2007 during a laporoscopy for my severe endometriosis, and after the initial 3 months of imbalanced systems- the periods are now virtually non existant. I am considering having it taken out, i feel constantly sick, even at the thought of food, since using the coil have ibs which upsets my stomach ALL THE TIME, and has turned me into a nervous wreck thus making the probs worse. ( i wont even travel lately as the last 2 times i have been away i have been really ill!) i am always aware that it is there which makes me feel nauseous anyway. the docs arent very keen on me having it removed cus they think my endo will get really bad again but if im totally honest, id much rather a heavy period than a constant nausea feeling and alo weight gain. i have out on about 1 1/2 stone since using the coil.

the docs seem to disregard and suggester symptoms and fob me off saying it is nothing to do with the coil, but i have spoken to people who said as soon as they had it removed they felt like a totally different person! !
does anyone else have any of these symptoms i am experiencing?

nickyrob Thu 15-Jan-09 22:38:11

It's such a relief to read all these discussions. I had the mirena fitted 2 months ago due to heavy periods. I bled for 6 weeks after having it fitted and am now losing on and off. Ok, the loss is nowhere near what it was, or the pain, but I don't feel right. My stomach seems to be swelling by the day, my skin is getting really bad, outbreaks constantly, my boobs are soooo swollen and hurt so much its painful to walk or turn over in bed and my hair is falling out in clumps. I'm in a dilemma and don't know whether to persevere to see if it gets better or ask for it to be taken out now.

Any advice gratefully accepted

Nicky

susie1968 Sat 17-Jan-09 23:00:33

God was i glad to come across this website.I have had my mirena coil fitted for the past 4 years after suffering endometriosis for 10 years.Basically had problems since my youngest daughter was born. My bleeding stopped almost immediately which i thought was fantastic but my libido quickly died to. i also started to suffer from extreme anxiety accompanied by headaches which would seem to be never ending. my weight has also crept up by two stone and after spending most of my life being thin (possibly because of my condition and the bleeding) I hate the size i've become. I have had the coil removed yesterday and have spent the last month weaning myself of the antidepressants i had become reliant on just to function normally. I am hoping to lose weight fairly quickly but after what i've read not to sure. Hopefully the headaches should subside also, and more importantly my long suffering hubby may get his wife back. i am interested to hear fromothers with similar stories and i will keep you all posted as to how things develop

fedupjen Sun 18-Jan-09 19:10:43

hello ladies just joined this site, had to after reading your views on the merina coil!! well i had mine fitted on the 23rd december 08 after having a polyp removed and a scrape, was told this would help my constant heavy bleeding etc, well over the last 4 years i have managed to lose 4 and a half stones and in under 4 wks have managed to gain 10 lbs!! not a happy bunny at all, like many of you my skin has broken out, i feel awful constant headache and swollen tum, when i went to the doctors this week was told that the coil doesnt make you gain weight and that i need to give it longer... how much longer before i become like a hippo again!!! rant over now.....

hugs4free Mon 19-Jan-09 20:35:06

I was fitted in May 2008 and then had it removed in November 2008.Same thing like the rest of you beautiful women. I gained weight, had constant headaches, lower back hurt like hell, and a blind man could read my face due to the acne and cysts developing. On top of that, i started to become a hermit due to depression. Within 24 hrs of getting it removed, my skin started to clear up and within 48hrs i got rid of the headaches! The lower back pain is gone too. The depression was also lifted. Apparently the weight thinks I am its best friend and wants to stick with me.

To the wonderful and beautiful women who read this and have the coil and problems, don't think "maybe it isn't the coil, maybe its just me" Please think again. I even thought it was all in my head until I had it removed and started to feel "normal".Please give yourself some justice. Think about having it removed.

I am actually thinking if its possible to take the makers of the coil to court and file a class action. Does anyone have any ideas?

Boosie Tue 27-Jan-09 20:07:26

Hi, I last posted a message on 8th Jan having just had coil removed. Slimmers world is going brilliantly now and have lost 1 stone in 3 weeks!!! Cannot believe how easy it has been and only been to the gym once for half an hour. Have already lost that weird roll around the tummy that I never have had before and which I put down to the marina and everyone else said it was my age!! Good luck to anyone who goes the way I have - I feel I am getting my life back, am in control and not constantly hungry! Whooppee!!

Claresam Fri 27-Feb-09 22:25:31

Hi there
I would like to add to this debate about the mirena coil as i have been on a USA blog.I'm not sure about the weight gain but other sidi would love to know if anyone else has them......mood swings..like PMT only darker if you get me...definetely less interest in sex and repeated attacks of BV but having read how the mirena works I see why now.
I am considering having it removed...having been divorced and alone just me and kids for 4 years I now have a man. However I have little desire as I'm worried about infections. I also have far more headaches than I have ever had and migraines up from one per year so several...the last one ended up with 3 days off work...unknown for me to have time off!!!
Any feedback would be great!!

banklady Sat 21-Mar-09 08:40:08

Thank you ladies - I'm being pressured at the moment by the doctor to use the Mirena Coil as I suffer from PCOS. I've had my doubts for a while and have so far refused it.
I was beginning to come round to her way of thinking, as over the last 6 weeks I've been on for 3 of them and really heavy! Told doctors I couldn't go on like that and she suggested the Mirena again!
I feel I've just been saved from making the biggest mistake ever. Hope you all recover fully from the usage of it and thank you once again for sharing your experiences.

kryz Sun 29-Mar-09 19:10:28

hi , i had the coil fitted about 8wks ago and i have since had bad mood swings , depression and weight gain
i have tried all sorts of different ways to loose the weight but nothing seems to work... in the space of 8wks i have gained 6lb.
after reading what everyone has written i am going to make an appointment tomorrow with my GP to get the coil removed.
i had the same problem with the implant which led to me gaining 4stone in 3yrs and as soon as i got the implant taken out i lost the 4stone in about 4months!!!

loulou35 Mon 30-Mar-09 21:58:48

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to something like this ever- and would really appreciate your views- I have had mirena coil fitted about a year ago (contraception & heavy periods)- and seem to be getting more and more side effects, thw weight gain and acn I can almost live with but im getting more and more unreasonable anxiety and almost panic attacks, particularly in the evenings, they are really bad and im at the end of my tether, am i actually having meantal health issues ?????(have had depression years ago but nothing like this before) or does anyone else have these symptoms? i feel bloated, migranes and generally miserble but this irrational fear is geting out of hand!!! my GP says these side efects are not connected to the ciol, but i am on no other medication and it didnt happen before......but am worried of risk of pregnancy without it.....but thinking nothing can be worth this anxiety and jittery sensation.....help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message withdrawn

natper Tue 31-Mar-09 10:30:24

Thank Goodness I've found this site. I thought I was going mad and I've been driving my family crazy going on about it.

I had the coil fitted last September. It was rather a shock how painful it was to have fitted but after that I thought it was going to be great. I suffered lower cramps in my stomach which I just left to settle down for a few months. I didn't have any periods at all, just a week of light spotting. I didn't go for my check straight away because I'm rubbish at being organised on things like that! However I went just after Christmas and they couldn't find my string. I had to go to hospital for a scan where they said they could see it in place, the string has just coiled up inside me.

I returned to my doctor who said I could leave it in however I expressed my concerns so far:-

- gained weight of a stone - she suggested I was eating too much (cheeky cow!) and that it could be my age (35).
- headaches
- stomach pain still
- Lower back pain
- bloated stomach and fingers
- greasy hair and a few spots
- really bad PMT - ALL THE TIME!
- I have also been feeling really down recently and have a lump in my throat all the time like I could cry
- Heavy discharge - nice!
- eczema on my private area - not doing much for my sex life
- I have also now in the last 4 weeks had spotting most days

All of these she said were unlikely to be caused by the coil and to stick with it.

Since going to her I have been exercising 5/6 times a week - jogging and exercise dvd's and also really watching what I eat. I have never been big but I am now 10 stone - 1 stone heavier that I was a year ago and heavier than after having children!!

Since reading all your experiences I have booked to go back to the doctors to demand that I have it taken out. I am going to trust what MY body has been telling me for ages.

Fingers crossed it is the reason or I will be gutted! I need to save my marriage - I've been with him for 16 years and we are on the edge and I know it's more down to me.

I am a bit nervous about having it out though as will have to go to hospital to have it "hooked" out with an instrument as the strings are not there. Has anyone else had this happened and was it painful?!

loulou35 Tue 31-Mar-09 10:47:02

Hi Napster- yikes thought mine was bad enough , reading your mirena story makes me feel bit better (thanks, and sorry grin )think will have mine out soon- know GP will not be amused as its 'very expensive..' but somethings got to give... good luck with yours, sure it will be OK- they will prob use a bit of local and make it easier than if your strings were about!! wink smile

mumtoloads Tue 31-Mar-09 13:12:00

I had my mirena taken out 6 weeks ago. I haven't felt as good a this in ages. I became serverly depressed suicidal infact my husband and family were so worried. Weight gain that i could not shift, ance, so bloated i looked 6 months pregnant, sore boobs, back ach bleed everytime after sex and lots of times during the month.

I had it changed for the copper coil and so glad i did. I feel much happier have gone down a dress size and my spots have gone. I can't believe i did not realise it was the mirena making me feel like this for the last 2 years. Wish I had found out sooner but it was only from forums like this that i put 2 and 2 together.

I wish the medical profesion would do more research on it

Joyjo Tue 31-Mar-09 22:09:26

Mirena Coil trouble - never been so glan to stumble on to this site - I really thought I was going mad!I always have had a copper coil fitted for the past 20 years and never had any problems - then this summer I started bleeding really heavey every day for a couple of months - they discovered that I had polyps and i had an operation to remove them - they then replaced my coil with the Mirena. Thankfully the bleeding stopped - happy days I thought!! only then did the problems start - i have never been a nasty or bad tempered person but now I am a demon - I dislike every one, i feel so depressed, my husband, family and people i work with are getting a hard time all the time! none of my bras fit me Ive increased about 3 cup sizes, I need to hold both boobs when I walk up stairs I cannot sleep they are so sore. I am 45 years old I have always been the same weight, always a size 12. In the last 3 months I have gained 1.5 stones, i can hardly get a 14 buttoned and Im slipping into a 16 for comfort, its all around my tummy. I can no longer wear my rings as my hands and fingers are so swollen. I had big spots on my chin and I feel awful.

No doubt about it I'm ringing my GP in the morning to make an appointment to have this removed.

What has confirmed my decision even more - my daughter had a mirena fitted 3 years ago after she had her little boy (she has gained at lease 2 stone)- when she went back to have it checked they could never find it. She has had several scans and been to theatre twice but they could not find it. On Tuesday of that week she was admitted to hospital and they had to open her to remove it. When the GP previously fitted it, she had pushed the coil right up inside the womb, the womb unknowingly had ruptured, the coil was emmbedded in her bladder - the operation took nearly 2 hours. She is home from hospital now and has quite a few stiches in her tummy, if my fingers weren't so swollen I'd have them crossed that she would be ok.
Thats my rant for today - this may work for some people - but I know my own body and I know its not working for me!

RubyrubyrubyRaven Tue 31-Mar-09 22:14:24
Loubeylou Wed 01-Apr-09 21:19:40

I have steadily gained weight during the 2 years that I have had the coil fitted and have been quite tearful a lot of the time. I have tried various different diets and exercises to lose the weight but to no avail. I was prepared to just carry on with the coil despite the weight gain and tearfulness. However when I had a smear I asked the nurse to check that the coil was in place and the nurse could not find the threads at all and she advised me that the coil had gone missing. She told me that I wasn't protected against pregnancy and that I would have to have a gynae scan to see where it had gone. I panicked, my husband doesn't want anymore children at all(the pill wasn't an option) and so we decided that he would have to have a vasectomy which he did. My appointment for my scan took ages to come through and when they eventually did it they found out that the coil was still in place!! I was gutted, my husband need not have had the vasectomy angry

natper Wed 01-Apr-09 22:27:20

Sorry to hear you are gutted - at least you don't have to worry about what contraception to use now I guess. I have to say though - although I've had a nightmare with the coil, I'm not sure about my husband having the snip - it seems so final and scary so can understand your feelings.

What a shame that it wasn't explained to you properly - as seems to be the case with lost of us - about how it can still be in place and that the strings may have just, forgive the pun, coiled up inside you and that you need to use condoms as an added precaution.

Can I ask if you have now had it removed and if so how that went - I'm rather nervous about what happens to me now as my strings are up inside me and I have heard horror stories about how doctors have tried to "hook" out of people and now been successful and have had to operate.

Gulp! Me thinks that I may just not have sex with husband anymore, can't beat that sort of contraception!!

MrsPurple Wed 01-Apr-09 23:35:45

I too am a Mirena victim. AHd it fitted last June with TVTO operation and it was like someone flicked a switch in me. Depression, moody, weight gain, heavy bllod loss for the 12 weeks it was in (only had about 4 to 6 days off, split between to times). It sent me so close to edge I'm still having therapy and still done nothing re contrepcion as I'm scared any iother hormone device will have same effect.

Different types of pill caused me grief years ago.

Had to plead with GP to take out as she said it couldn't be the coil. I've felt aloty better since it's removal, although the clots and blood loss after removal were horrendous and not containable.

miamdu Thu 02-Apr-09 12:01:28

I had the Mirena put in Feb 2008 and bled for a month, then stopped for 10 months. Last month I started bleeding non stop and am going in next Thursday to have it taken out. I have been extremely emotional, feel like crying a lot, put on 20 pounds which I cannot explain, I have always taken very good care of my body and kept my weight down. I think I'm going to have the ablation done in it's place. No more horomones. Has anyone had experience w/the ablation?

paulakenyon Thu 02-Apr-09 19:15:15

I had the Mirena coil fitted on the 13 March, just a afew weeks ago, I had it fitted while I was having a d+c due to horrendous periods and polyps.

Anyway, I could not believe it, The day after fitting I stopped bleeding, for 3 days, I was made up.......except.......

In the few weeks since having it fitted i have put on nearly a stone in flab.
I have always been a size 8 and now I cannot get into a 10.

The bleeding started again and has not stopped, not very heavy but my moods has been affected quite bad, I am crying for no apparent reason, I have been very very angry and not been able to cope with things that normally just get on my nerves a bit, I have balled at my little girl 3 times in 2 weeks and this is so not me. I feel like aliens have been and swapped me with something else.......what to do? I have an appiontment with the doc on Monday and am already considering having it removed but am dreading the heavy bleeding starting again.....

iSOLOvechocolate Thu 02-Apr-09 19:40:37

2 years this month and over 2 stones extra on. Mood swings, spots, greasy hair, bleeding more than not, so not even no periods!
The doctors don't tell you about these side effects IME as although the Mirena is expensive, it works out cheaper and more reliable than long term pill use, pregnancy, ante natal, post natal care or termination etc.

I have lost my threads and had to have a scan to see if it is still in place. The sonographer said that in her experience, I'm unusual in that as a Mirena user, I have not developed polycystic overies hmm. I have had both the practice nurse and the well woman gp try to remove the coil and now, finally(I hope)I see the gyae on Monday to have it taken out.

I do though, know several people that have had Mirena's for years and have had none of these problems. We are all different.

hugs4free Fri 03-Apr-09 18:51:09

Update....I feel like singing, laughing, and hugging. I am soo happy its crazy... grinI am back to my old self... No more headaches, lost the weight, want to have sex, no more acne, no more back pain and people don't irratate the hell out of me anymore.. I could tell a big difference when I got it removed in november of last year and got it replaced with a copper coil. Only thing with a copper coil is a bit heavier period. So what!!! I finally feel like me!
The company should be sued!!!

iSOLOvechocolate Sat 04-Apr-09 01:36:49

Hugs4free, how long did it take to get the weight off and how much weight please?

Gezza1 Mon 06-Apr-09 17:45:37

I gained around 8lb following having the Mirena fitted in February 08. In fact my bust went up a cup size within about 6 weeks. The plus side being I had no periods whilst the mirena was fitted.
I had it removed 2 weeks ago as I feel the weight gain is down to this. Tried various diets, including Atkins and lost no weight.

Although I have not had a period yet, I can live with this for now!! Can anyone tell me how long it took for them to lose the weight they gained.

natper Wed 08-Apr-09 14:17:56

Just to update anyone who may be interested, particularly IsoLovechocolate, I went to doc's last Friday and told her in no uncertain terms I wanted my coil removed. She obviously heard the low growl about to turn into a scream note in my voice and didn't argue like before!!

I have to wait for an appointment with the hospital now as my threads are missing. Apparently this is a procedure that will be done under a local as the removal will not be as straight forward.

Feeling rather nervous so if anyone has had this done before please please let me know!!

I'll update once it's been taken out if anyone is interested - if not I'm still going to as I've not got anyone else who will listen to me about it anymore!!

nezelette Wed 08-Apr-09 18:00:33

I'm very very sorry to have to contradict everyone but I've shed loads of weight since having the mirena fitted, about 6 or 7 weeks ago. Bleeding's stopped, few spots to start with but now normal skin and sex life returning to happier times...

johnharryeloise Mon 13-Apr-09 23:30:51

I had a mirena coil for about 2 years. What they don't tell you is about the initial side effects- I felt like my body was going into total shut down, shaking, numbness, couldn't talk, total mess really. Got over that had no periods which was great, then started having really bad pmt and put on over 2 stone. Asked doctor about it he said nothing to do with coil, eventually found forum about mirena and it was like reading my life story! Went back to docs and insisted on having it removed and a normal coil (which I'd had before) in it's place but he wouldn't do it due to cost so I went to the family planning clinic and got it sorted. The weight came off in a few months and I was much nicer and more in control of myself. Would suggest anyone with problems with it get rid of it as I would never have another in a million years!!

Terso Wed 15-Apr-09 13:00:52

Hi guys, why didnt i read this site before now, my head is melted since i got the mirena in, against my wishes, my gyne insisted while i was getting an ablation done. I have every side effect, including 2stone weight, which started back on 2wks after i had the op. I dont know where i stand getting it out after having the ablation done, but i am most definitely getting it OUT. Keep you posted when i've seen my doc. I'm 43 and feel like an old woman, cant' wait to be totally happy again.

starrynight Mon 20-Apr-09 16:32:10

Hi there

I was recently checking the 'official' mirena side effects and they state that >5% of women fitted with the mirena will experience weight gain. This is a statistical certainty and for all we know the figure could be 20 or 50%, they only state side effects experienced in >5% or <5% of women using it.

I had Mirena twice. Once between my 3rd and 4th child and I put on 2 stone during that time and was the heaviest (bar pregnancy) than I had ever been. After giving birth to my 4th son I went down quickly and easily to 8.5 stone and stayed at that weight for a year before having a Mirena inserted again and in the 2 years since I have put on almost a stone and a half and counting. I can't shift it and have constant cravings for sugary sweet stuff.

The upside is I have no PMT or periods which was severe and long and heavy before so now it's a dilemma but I don't want to continue putting on a couple of pounds a month forever so I think i'll have to have it taken out.

So, although not everyone has weightgain it is a known side effect for at least 1 in 20 women on the Mirena.

hugs4free Wed 22-Apr-09 01:36:26

Hi, I happened to gain 40lbs and lost it within 3 months after I got it removed. Sorry, forgot to metion it in my last post.

mookie34 Wed 22-Apr-09 10:15:18

Hi everyone im new to the site, here is my story . I work in a secondary school and every month my periods were so heavy i would have to take spare clothes to change into (not good) after six months of pain in pelvis every day doctor finally referred me for a ultrasound where a fibroid was found(yippee) at least i knew i wasn't going crazy . so i got sent to gynea,he did biopsy then and there(no painkillers nothing was offered)after that i sat and discussed where to go next if more kids wanted mirena coil if no more wanted microwave,hysterctomy.
In my stupidity i went for mirena coil im only 36 and eventually i would like more kids just not now. it was fitted early april so im 3 weeks in and now im starting to think that is was not the best idea my symptoms are tiredness, bloated tummy,back ache,grumpy,cramps worse than before and my personal favourite acne of a teenager.
does anyone know if the problems settle down or am i in 5 fun filled months.sorry for the long post.

Garland1 Mon 27-Apr-09 11:54:42

Hi - I had the Mirena coil fitted about 7 weeks ago and since then have put on 8lbs having been a constant weight for several years. My eating and exercise habits have not changed at all, in fact, when I started to gain a few pounds (felt my clothes getting weirdly tight) I was surpised and started to watch what I was eating a little more closely. I have also experienced really dry skin and intermittent severe bloating - has anybody else experienced these other effects? I believe the bloating is an accepted side effect but when it happens I literally have a tummy the size it was when I was about to give birth and (if possible - as in, I'm not at work) have to go and put something really loose on!

Thanks
Tanya

lollipop2 Mon 27-Apr-09 19:19:44

Hi - I had the Mirena coil fitted in 2005 and have gained 18lbs over the past 3 and abit years! I now look 6 months pregnant and suffer with severe bloating. No change to my diet/exercise routine

Had the coil out 3 days ago and so hoping the weight and enormous stomach will disappear. Decided to get sterilised instead

Does anyone know how long the weight takes to shift sad

MLJ Thu 30-Apr-09 14:57:26

Hi
Had a Mirena for 5 years now, my sister recommended it, she has had two of them, and I’m about to have it replaced. Yes weight was a problem up to last year, so I’ll be curious to see if my weight creeps up again, with a new one being fitted next week. However I found that diet plays a big role in these things - reduced my dairy intake and replaced with soya products and lost over a stone in weight, in about a month! OK soya milk takes some getting used to but I feel loads better for it. I'm not saying this is the answer to all of the side effects - I've virtually lost all of my sex drive, but compared to the PMS, (I reckon I could have killed at times!!!), the painful periods, plus I sail yachts, and work out 3 times a week with aerobics, Pilates & yoga classes and not having heavy periods to deal, this is bliss. Also, I am a migraine sufferer, and have found I have had fewer migraines since having it fitted, so it just shows how everybody’s body is different

looeyk Tue 05-May-09 21:43:58

Hi, I had my Mirena coil fitted last August for heavy irregular periods. The periods have become slightly lighter (still much heavier than normal periods though) However, I do tend to bleed all of the time lightly between periods, so it's a real pain, can't go anywhere without tampons etc. Other times I just have random periods, with all of the symptoms.(have just bought the Mooncup so am hoping that will help).
Due to this ongoing, sporadic bleeding I'm now thinking of having the Mirena removed. In addition to all of this I did have terrible boils on my face and back, which have only just cleared up, I'm just hoping they don't come back. I'm pretty sure they were linked to the Mirena. Plus, yes I have put weight on since the fitting,mainly around my middle and I'm sure that this is the coil as I run 50k per week and really don't over-indulge. This is the second Mirena I've had, the first one was lodged against a fibroid and had to be removed, but even with this one fitted properly I still don't think it's for me. I could cope with the other side effects as long as the bleeding stopped!The thing is, I really dont' know what to do next to stop the bleeding............anyone got any ideas??

cazbabes Sat 16-May-09 22:31:43

God I am so glad I found this website I am sick to death with stupid size weight gain! I have never been a small lass always hovered about the 9.5 - 10 stone weight post baby but in the last year I have put on a stone without any changes to food/alcohol/exercise and reading this I am convinced it is my Mirena. I had a Mirena a few years ago which was put in for as a last resort endometriosis cure after 3 lots of surgery and after I had it taken out I lost over a stone but I ut that down to attending slimming world as well but now I am not so sure. If I had stopped bleeding, stooped having the sorest boobs on the planet etc etc then it might be worth keeing it in but since that all still continues I am phoning the GP on MOnday and putting my foot down! Thanks everyone for maing me realise I am not just old, fat and frumpy and it is part of life (god hlep me if it is) xx

trapeze44 Mon 18-May-09 17:44:27

Hi everyone, has anyone got the Mirena for HRT reasons? I am apparently perimenopausal and I have been recommended this but am frankly alarmed (going to my first Weight Watchers tonight!!) about weight gain plus I had horrible acne in my early twenties!!! Anyone there? Thank you for replying to my first post

WAG1 Fri 22-May-09 22:48:27

OMG have just read the messages about the Mirena coil, and im not quite sure what o make of it???? I have had the coil fitted this wednesday along with my sister n a friend our doctor appaerently said its the best thing since sliced bread. I personnally suffer with irregular bleeding and the pill just did not work for me, this was the next best thing....... since reading these blogs im im know worried terribly i'am a body consious person as it is and i really do not want to gain weight i work out as much as i can as it is..... do u really gain lots of weight with this coil or is jus a little at what is meant to be your time of the month??? could sombody please message me back with good and bad stories please weighing up the pros and the cons is my next step if the cons are more then this is definatley being removed sooner rather than later. i did read up on this on a doctors site and they tell you none of this, god have I done the wrong thing !!!!!??????

mzconception Sun 24-May-09 12:19:58

Hi
I know all your messages were a long time ago, but i came looking for answers because am so fed up.

I have had the mirena in for nearly fours years now, following an emergency operation for an eptopic pregnancy.

I assumed over the years(took nearly two for it to settle)that the things i have been going through were normal.

Maybe this is how i turned out to be, maybe it was just age, hormones, loss of baby, etc etc.

But i dont think i was this person, i get really emotional, over sensitive one minute, and angry as hell and want to smash things the next, no one can predict my mood, i feel sumtimes ppl walk on eggshells around me and that makes me cry, i have had depression twice, put on two stone even tho i eat great and work out three times a week!, stomach pains, anixety,decresed sex drive.

Would you agree that this is the coil or is this me?

I really hope its not me

Good Luck to you all , calling my doc on Monday

susiejean Wed 03-Jun-09 20:31:18

Hi
I am really pleased to have found this link, after having the Mirena coil for the last 5 years (2nd one fitted 8 weeks ago) I have put on 4 stone in weight and have gone upto an unmentionable bra size.

I have been seriously trying to loose weight and for the past 8 weeks have been keeping to a stict excercise and food plan but have not lost any weight. After seeing my Dr was told to just join weightwatchers as it was not the coil and there was nothing he could do (very helpful).

Am going to give it one more month then if still not weight loss will ask for it to be taken out.

How long have others taken to loose their weight after having it removed????

RaeraeQ Tue 09-Jun-09 22:32:38

Amazed that I have only just checked this website! Had the mirena fitted 6 wks ago, lightly spotted for 1 week and since then constant heavy bleeding like the heaviest day of a normal period - like the majority of others I have put on over 7 pounds and have not only been exhausted but moody. I am off to the FP clinic tomorrow and will ask for it to be removed. Unfortunately have always had heavy periods but nothing like this and will have to look for another type of contraception.

torimcg Tue 16-Jun-09 10:30:58

Hi, I found this website on Tuesday of last week. I have ahs the Merina/Mirena coil in for 5 weeks as Dr thought it would help my heavy periods. (I had copper coil in on and off for 10 years previously). I have been 9st 12 pounds (apart from pregnancy) since I was 21 I am now 33. I exercise 4 times a week and eat healthy. Within the last 5 weeks I put on 7 pounds in weight, had terrible headaches, I was very tired, I felt down and my temper was really bad. I felt bloated and my rings even felt tight on my fingers. On Tuesday night after reading all your messages I went straight to the nurse on Wednesday morning who removed the coil and commented on the side effects that other women had mentioned to her. I have just went on the scales and I have lost 4 pounds since Wednesday (6 days) I have had no headaches and my husband said I am (thank god) back to myself. Get it removed!! Thanks for your help, Tori

paula1977 Wed 17-Jun-09 19:47:20

Hi All
I had the merina coil put in about 6 months ago ive gaind 1/2 a stone im tired, moody,down, i workout at the gym 5 days a week used to enjoy but i am now finding it pointless as i dont loose anything(go to slimming world)just gain, i also started suffering with darkend skin on my face , went to see gp and she said it was skin pigmentation(like a pregnancy mask) caused by the hormones in the merina coil and to just cover it up with makup(easy to say if its not on your face) Im due to see my gynacologist tomorrow and am going to ask her to remve it and replace with copper coil just hope long heavy periods dont return, has anyone had these symptoms and will the weight gain, she devil moods and skin pigmentation improve or even better disappear???????????? (when the merina is removed)

1DancingQueen Wed 17-Jun-09 20:58:35

I first had the mirena fitted after my child was born and had it in for 5 years. I have not had a period or pms since which I have not missed. I had the 2nd mirena fitted 6 months ago. However I do have severe migraines, some depression, nervousness, feel very tearful a lot of the time, painful breasts, abdominal pain. Also all my adult life I have been 8½ to around 8.11 stone but I am now over 9 stone. After speaking to other people and reading everyone's comments on this site I realise these symptons could be side effects of the mirena so I have a doctors appointment on Monday to have it removed. I will give it 6 months to see if these symptons go away or improve. I can't be sure it is the mirena.

Mum4eva Sun 28-Jun-09 20:18:08

Hi ladies, I've had the mirena in for 2 years and feel like it's time to come out.I'm an emotional woman as it is but my temperament has gone through the roof.The slightest things set me off 9 times out of 10 I feel angry and aggressive and that is not my natural personality. Even though I have put on weight with the mirena my periods are regular as clockwork.However sex with my partner at times can be extremely painful.Last month my period was light but this month there was hardly anything there(spotting!)which I'm concerned about.Does anyone have any suggestions as I'm at my wits end(HELP!!!).

fuchumly Mon 29-Jun-09 08:39:59

Hi everyone! I was advised to look at this site by a collegue when I mentioned the trouble I was having since I had the Mirena coil fitted 2 years ago. At the time, aged 52, I was perimenopausal and having very heavy and prolonged periods which left me extremely anaemic and having to have at least 1 day off work a month as I couldn't leave the house. Since I had it fitted, my periods have stopped but at what cost? Having been around 8 t0 9 stone all my adult life and not having gone much beyond 10 stone in any of my 4 pregnancies, I have ballooned in 2 years to 11 stone 12!!! My bust has increased from a d cup to a gg!!! My diet has not changed nor the amount of exercise I do. My job is very active ( Primary Nurse on a very busy A&E dept ).Added to this is the fact that I had to start taking anti-hypertensives shortly after the coil was fitted and have been on antidepressants for the last 18 months-- I do not feel like myself any more. Since reading all your comments, I am going to have it removed!

Hayleyw Mon 29-Jun-09 11:44:58

Hi Guys i have the same problem, i have had the mirena since Feb and I have piled on the pounds, i have gone from a size 10 to size 16 and no matter what i do it wont shift and im now feeling like a fat pig!!

karrizma Tue 30-Jun-09 16:05:51

Hi everybody....so wish I'd stumbled across this site 8 months ago when I decided to have this alien fitted inside me. This morning I visited my Family Planning clinic to get the damned thing removed as G.P. was unable to locate threads.I've had an ultrasound which shows it is in the correct position but now it seems I will have to wait for a hospital appointment and go under a general anaesthetic to bring this contraception chapter to an end. Why am I so disgruntled? Well should have bought shares in Tampax as have been bleeding for the majority of the time. Never imagined I would find myself sneaking into Evans as before the fitting I was a size 10/12. Was on holiday recently and was asked when my baby was due. Added to that I have permanent PMT and an infection. What really makes me angry is the fact that the G.P. wouldn't take any notice when I first told him about these side effects 5 months ago.

karrizma Wed 01-Jul-09 08:47:37

Forgot to add also grown beard!

Munk Wed 01-Jul-09 18:00:42

Iv had the Marina for a year now. Within 3 months I had put on three stone, and no matter how I eat or excercise, I just cannot shift it! I feel very emotional all the time, either tearful or aggressive, and I hate the two weekly "spotting" which can be quite lumpy and last up to 10 days!

When I went to the GP about the weight gain, I was laughed at and told "whats three stone? Most of the populaton is at least that over weight!" Honestly, thats the reaction I got. My surgery is refusing to let me have the old copper type, which I never had any problems with before, so now I know Im not going mad or imagining all these symptons, Im going to get it taken out. My sex drive has plummeted, basically because Im so self conscious now so Im hoping that will also get back to normal!

PS Iv also gained a really impressive moustache hmm

NKffffffffac299261X1224b5adbd6 Sun 05-Jul-09 16:33:50

Hi
I am an old girl of 45 but have just found your website. I have never been tempted to blog before but just had to join up as I was searching for mirena coil and weight gain.
I had a coil fitted 3 years ago because of severe bleeding. I then had a huge ovarian cyst removed and I am now wondering if that caused the trouble? My pre baby weight was 8 1/2 stone then 9 1/2 constantly after 2 children. I am now 11 stone!! and a double EE at M and S. This stays constant so it can't be just what I am eating. I have also suffered with depression that needed medication. You always try and put these things down to events in your life but having read this site, 5 pages of blogs I feel it is something to do with the coil. I have to say that I am grateful that the horrific bleeding stopped but I would be grateful to have my body back. My son bought a lap top with a camera on it yesterday. I was appalled to see my stomach entered the room first! Thanks for the comment about the beard - my daughter told me to shave today! No wonder I am depressed!!!! Something has to be done with this weight.
Surely a website with this clout could raise the issue nationally??

NKffffffffac299261X1224b5adbd6 Sun 05-Jul-09 16:34:50

Sorry - couldn't get the silly nickname to change to anything that I would vaguely remember!!

nmare Tue 14-Jul-09 08:27:18

Having just read these pages THAT'S IT
OUT it comes...............

I used to have an hour glass figure.... till all of the sand sunk to the bottom.......
No seriously thankyou to everyone that has posted comments here re the mirena.....
I thought it was just me ...... my boobs have taken on a life of their own .... and the pain !!!!!! gyno tells me "it will calm down after six months"....how aboutin the mean time i hang a two ton weight from his crown jewels and see how he feels???
I have also gained a bit (lot) of weight and
the spots are covering my chest...... a very attractive look ...... NOT

Wishing you all well..........

i'm coming back as a man in the next life !

nmare Tue 14-Jul-09 08:29:34

Side effects
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.

Change in menstrual bleeding, such as frequent, prolonged or heavy bleeding, spotting, lighter bleeding, irregular bleeding or stopping of bleeding
Development of fluid filled sacks (cysts) in the ovaries
Excessive fluid retention in the body tissues, resulting in swelling (oedema)
Weight gain
Headache
Depression
Nervousness
Mood swings
Nausea
Lower abdominal pain
Back pain
Breast pain
Painful menstrual bleeding
Acne
Vaginal discharge
Inflammation of the cervix
Hair loss or hair growth
Skin reactions such as rash or itching
Genital infections, including pelvic inflammatory disease
Decreased sex drive
Migraine
Abdominal bloating
The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the drug's manufacturer.For more information about any other possible risks associated with this medicine, please read the information provided with the medicine or consult your doctor or pharmacist.

Niecie Tue 14-Jul-09 11:31:22

I'm having mine out this afternoon. Had it in for 5.5 yrs and it has got to the end of its useful life but it only occurred to me in the last couple of years that it could be the reason I have have put on 4.5 stone (shock) in the time I have had it.

Before the Mirena I could cut back on eating for a couple of days and lose weight easily. Now it makes no difference.

I also have PMT for the first time in my life.

Of course it could be my age(42) so I will be interested to see if having it out makes any difference.

Has anybody else lost weight after having it out? People tend to post that they are going to have it out but we never hear if it makes any difference.

pearlywhitesuk Wed 22-Jul-09 12:50:34

Hi all,

Please tell me i'm not going mad!!!
I had coli fitted around 5 weeks ago, since then i have constant cramping, headaches, back ache and i feel i have put on around 5-6 pounds??? Is this possible???
my hubby just thinks its all in my mind but i really feel fatty and wobbly. I also have an under active thyroid so have always had to watch my weight. I haven't really changed my eating habits but the weight seems to be creeping on daily!!
Any one else experienced this?? I'm thinking about getting it out tomorrow!

Thanks guys x

Summertimefizz Tue 28-Jul-09 12:26:56

OH MY GOD!!! This coil has got to go!!!!shock

It was inserted two months ago and I've gained a stone per monthsad

I work out everyday but this additional weight just wants to be my Best Mate, not impressed.

Thanks for the info it's been a tremendous help.

Good Luck with everything.

Summertimefizzsmile

icebucket Tue 28-Jul-09 17:02:57

I have just googled coil and weight gain and found all these comments - wow - I thought I was going bonkers. Had coil fitted because of heavy periods which did stop - but I ended up putting on nearly 3 stone - I exercise approx 5 times a week. when I look in the mirror I think I look like a body builder but fat with it - i hate the way i look. i went loopy last year and my marriage nearly went tits up. I had no end of infections so decided to have it removed - periods have returned with avengance but am hoping that the weight might come off
shock

nmare Wed 29-Jul-09 16:30:36

I have had my mirena removed, however the gyno is now reccomending a novasure procedure..
www.novasure.com
Anyone elase had this procedure???
Many thanks

ILYM Wed 29-Jul-09 16:59:37

Had my Mirena coil removed a week ago Monday!
Bled a little after with lots of clots - was EXTREMELY grumpy for a couple of days after.
Had always noticed increasing brain fogginess the last few years & lack of sex drive, also about 3 stone weight gain and no matter how hard I dieted the weight would not shift!
Since removal as yet no weight loss but the most tremendous feeling as no longer have the brain fogginess!! Feels like a new lease of life!!
Mirena never again!!!!

karrizma Thu 30-Jul-09 08:33:52

Off to hospital today to finally have this bloody thing removed as neither my G.P. or the family planning clinic could do it. A little nervous but also excited. Hope it wont be long before I can wave goodbye to beard and huge stomach. Will keep you posted.

karrizma Thu 30-Jul-09 17:19:01

Well that wasn't very pleasant! In fact it took 45minutes of probing and 2 local anaesthetics into my cervix then, just when the doc was about to give up, she waved the forceps which held my mirena triumphantly in the air. Have to admit that it was possibly the most painful outpatient procedure I've ever had but, even though my stomach is cramping and I've got a pad the size of a brick down my knickers, all I feel is relief. Would be great to deflate over night but will update next month.

buddhababe11 Sun 02-Aug-09 02:43:53

Hello everyone,

I had my Mirena implanted 6 years ago!! The doctors made 3 attempts to remove it over the past year. Up until this point, I had zero side effects. My moods were fine, no weight gain, great periods, etc. Now I have 10 lbs that I cannot drop!! I realized it has to be this IUD. I am actually considering going to the ER so they can remove it. I exercise twice daily and eat healthy for the most part, so there is no reason for this weight to be so stubborn. I am going to keep you posted once I have this removed as to whether the weight drops off easily. I've never had trouble losing weight before. Also thought maybe it was due to my age (41 next month), but I am way too active to have this weight on. Also just starting lifting weights, and doing lunges and squats.

Anyone else had this problem at the end? Like I aforementioned, I had zero issues prior to this and my sex drive as always been that of a man's...lol so that didn't go down any.

sweetsocks Tue 04-Aug-09 01:13:16

I have never added to blog in my life but after reading all these messages felt I wanted to add my story. The mirena was my last hope b4 facing a full hysterectomy to solve severe and prolonged blood loss. This was causing anaemia and weight loss. After 2 years with the mirena and 6 months of additional hormone tablets, still nothing was working. I bottled out of the hysterectomy surgery I had been advised to have and finally 6 months later my cycle stopped completely. I weighed 7st 71b and struggled to keep that weight up. Then about 18 months ago my weight finally started to increase and I was really pleased. However, it quickly spiralled out of control and I now weigh 11st 71b. I seem to have gone from being underweight and struggling to put weight on to being close to being obese in the space of 18 months. I approached my GP explaining that i felt the weight gain was hormonal, only to be laughed at and told i was over eating. After 6 months of dieting (something I have never had to do) and a month of visiting the gym 4 times a week I am still gaining weight. I have now had the mirena for 5.5 years and am in a dilema. If I do not have it replaced, I face a hysterectomy followed by HRT or have it replaced and continue with this battle of the bulge I have never had to deal with before and am clearly losing.

funkyfeestongue Tue 04-Aug-09 13:34:22

Hi Ladies,

Like many of you i thought i was going mad, I had the mirena in for 10 months, in that time I have put on over a stone in weight even though i'm at the gym 6 days a week, swim six days a week, play badmington 2 days a week, Oh! and i have a big dog that needs an hours walk 3 times a day, so i know im burning off well more calories than i'm eating yet i was still piling it on :-( so i decided to have it out..... ladies the very next day i felt a huge difference my bloated belly had went down considerably, emotionally felt brilliant and the shaky hands have stopped. my hairs stopped falling out so much:-) i havent checked my weight yet but i feel like i've lost some, i haven't had it out a week yet but am waiting the week to prove the doc wrong (that it was the coil causing these problems) anyway thanks for listening i'll report back with any weight loss... Oh!! my sex drives coming back :-D

chelm9 Wed 05-Aug-09 14:15:47

Hi there, very reassuring to read that others have had problems with the Mirena coil, because until i read these threads a few weeks ago, i really did not relate my problems of weight gain, sore joints, newly formed PMT etc etc. to the Coil as any doctors i have spoken to think im nuts to even suggest it could be wonderful little device. I am very angry that i let the doctors bully me for 5 years (that's how long i had the coil) Just had it removed 2 days ago, and what a hassle it was to get my local Family Planning clinic to actually remove it!!! I had to do at lease 1hr convincing them that i had made my mind up to have it removed. Was not easy. Why do doctors treat you like this. It is not nice and i think we know our bodies better than they do. We really should not tolerate this.

hoovermum Wed 05-Aug-09 19:24:48

Hi! Ive never posted on any site on the net but after reading your stories it sounds like some of you have had similar problems to me and wondered if anyone could shed some light as im v v worried! I went to my doctor to have my mirena coil removed, had been reasonably happy with it for just under 3 years apart from mass weight gain recently, and wanted it out to try for another baby but after much fishing a prodding with various instruments my doctor announced she could not find it. She says its unlikely to have fallen out and said she will send me for a scan to locate it. I waited a week without word from the hospital so called doc today to chase it up and was told it could be up to 6 weeks before i receive an appointment!! She says it is not dangerous but how can a foriegn object floating around god knows where be safe?! Im not happy but as they say it is 'out of their control' im not seeing what i can do except wait?

Anyone else had same prob? x

susall Tue 11-Aug-09 15:08:11

I so wish I had found this at the start of the year then I might not have the problems I have!!! I got mine fitted for heavy bleeding as the pill made me sick and with 3 kids to run after that was not good. I have put on a stone since the end of jan and even though I watch what I eat and do at least an hour of excersise 5 days a week I have lost 4lb in 2 months. The dr said that as the hormones work locally then there was no chance it was effecting my weight loss ability. After reading this I have a list of things that have been affecting me and will be seeing another dr on tuesday to demand its removal. I have weight gain which diet and excersise has no effect on, bleedig every 2 weeks, cysts on cervix which were not there at the start, spots along my jaw line (at 30), I have a cervical errosion and bleed after sex most times and I have been with hubby for 12 years and it never happened to me before this, reduction of sex drive, fine hairs on chin which are getting noticeable, mood swings, swolen fingers and pain in my joints and the worst of all were the suicidal thoughts the other week after an argument where the thought crept into my head that if I threw myself down the stairs and died then no one would really care. For my mental and physical health I have to have it removed and will go armed with my list in the hope they will take me seriously as I need to get my life back on track for the sake of my children and marriage.
I thank you all for your messages before me as they have shown me that its not just myself thats been affected.

Terpsichore Tue 11-Aug-09 15:25:43

Just wanted to add my twopence-worth. I had a Mirena fitted to combat severe endometriosis....the pain stopped completely (great) as did my periods (also great), BUT the weight piled on. I've gone from a size 10/12 to a size 14 and am absolutely dreading creeping up to a 16, purely because it makes me so miserable and depressed (I'm tall so can cover it up a bit, I suppose, but I just don't feel like 'me' any more).

But I have to say, only by dint of eating rigidly controlled, very low-calorie meals can I even maintain my weight, let alone lose any. Having kept my weight stable by eating 'normally' for over 20 years (and losing a bit whenever I felt like it, just by cutting down in a fairly minor way), it's dismaying to say the least. And I actually prefer salads and healthy food, never eat puddings, take regular exercise, etc, etc.

At least my specialist didn't laugh at me, which has been the fate of so many other women, but he did say I might have put on the weight because I'm not in pain, am happier, and am therefore eating more. I honestly don't think so. I do think it's the Mirena. sad

wendiwoo Tue 11-Aug-09 23:09:58

Hi, I don't know whether to feel relieved or stupid after reading these posts, i wish I had looked into the side effects of Mirena coil in more depth BEFORE having it fitted in February this year. I was persuaded that his device should bring an end to my symptoms of very heavy prolonged bleeding, backache and severe PMS, but since having it fitted I feel worse than ever!
I am relieved that in my case the bleeding has stopped (although this may be due to the Novosure endrometrial eblation procedure I had done at the same time) but I have gained at least a stone in weight, mainly from the waist down, extreme bloating (I now look five months pregnant) spots, headaches and joint pain, loss of libido and extreme mood swings, i have not changed my diet and have a spinger spaniel puppy who is walked for at least an hour a day, and I am a generally active person but no matter what I do the weight is gaining. I think I am going to have it removed, but I don't want periods again!

honie Tue 18-Aug-09 09:14:36

Hiya,

I have posted about this elsewhere on the site. I had mine fitted for Endo, and although it stopped the bleeding it increased the pain, gave me horrific PMS andI have put weight on creeping into a size 14 despite regular exercise. When I have tried to diet I haven't lost anything and have quickly succumbed to comfort food on my twice monthly bouts of PMS and pain.

I had it removed a week and a half ago, currently I have quite bad bloating, which I think is a combination of water retention and a tummy bug I had over the weekend. Although I dont plan to diet this week as I am pretending to be in the carribean (not just on the decking next to the paddling pool) but I am going to up my water intake, eat salads for lunch and I might head out and buy some exotic fruit and low fat icecream for snacks. Also will grab a bottle of vodka to replace normal holiday lager & wine. Will try to run everyday, and get some tummy exercise in - have taken the coule of weeks off the gym, I don't want to be scheduled on my time off - but will hit the gym next week.

I don't weigh myself - I weigh more than I 'should' even as a size 12 because I am a hourglass figure and have muscles from running etc. I will just aim to be an average size 12.

susall Thu 20-Aug-09 16:51:51

Been to dr and its getting taken out on wednesday as dr thinks Im sensitive to hormones. I was really worried she would try to talk me out of it being removed but she agreed that I was getting more than my fair share of side effects and it had to go. I feel so much better mentally now that I know that its going and I have even put together a diet and excersise plan for after its out.

Cezzer Mon 24-Aug-09 20:13:28

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help. I had a mirena fitted in Feb 2008. I bled almost constantly for 3 months and was almost at the end of my tether but then suddenly everything calmed down. My periods have pretty much stopped completely now. I was taking anti depressants for PMS but that also seemed to sort out.
However, in the past couple of months I have put on 1 stone in weight and have not really changed my eating habits. I have also noticed that I am extremely irritable. I have not made a connection to the coil as I have had it in for 18 months and this has only happened recently - could this be linked to the coil? I have been dieting religiously for the past couple of weeks and have not managed to shift a single pound which is very unusual as I have also managed to shift any weight gain within a couple of weeks just by dieting.
Grateful for any assistance as this is really depressing me now!

hoovermum Tue 25-Aug-09 08:57:37

Hi Cezzer, i had a similar problem, though had mine fitted nearly 3 years ago and had no side effects , very little bleeding and was really really pleased with it, was even raving to my friends saying they should get one, it seemed faultless. Until this year, i have suddenly gained over a stone in weight for no apparent reason and no matter what i do, dieting, more excercise (i already swim 3 times a week and have 2 horses which i muck out & ride everyday) but nothin will shift it. i have become pretty down, mainly due to weight gain, im not used to these extra pounds, and very irritable. I cant think of anything ese this could be down to other than the mirena, as i said in my previous post i went to the doctor to have it taken out but she could not locate the strings &it was 'lost' but i have since had a scan which located it very high up and i have to go to see a gyno 2have it removed which i am dreading but i cant wait to be rid of the flaming thing!

wendyw03042512 Tue 25-Aug-09 23:12:42

I was looking for some re assurance/confirmation as to having my merena removed. I had it placed just over year ago and my periods have not stopped as the Dr said they would. I have really bad bloating, I like many others have described I could pass for 6 months pregnant at times.. Sometimes in the month I am a size 12 other times my size 14 clothes are really tight!!! I thought it was just me hitting mid thirties and having 2 children/pregnancies - lack of tummy muscles. I have suffered anxiety - chest pains on one occasion I thought I was having a heart attack...My arms and hands also go tingly for no reason / my hands feel like they could pop at times..Weird!shock I was given 3 months of the pill i used to take to see if that would regulate my periods as i had no pattern as to monthly bleeding..It was worse than a shift pattern..4days on 2 days off 7 days on!!!! Nightmare.
I have been reassured by reading these posts that I am ringing the docs first thing to get it out!! Ah...can't wait.

wendyw03042512 Tue 25-Aug-09 23:13:25

I was looking for some re assurance/confirmation as to having my merena removed. I had it placed just over year ago and my periods have not stopped as the Dr said they would. I have really bad bloating, I like many others have described I could pass for 6 months pregnant at times.. Sometimes in the month I am a size 12 other times my size 14 clothes are really tight!!! I thought it was just me hitting mid thirties and having 2 children/pregnancies - lack of tummy muscles. I have suffered anxiety - chest pains on one occasion I thought I was having a heart attack...My arms and hands also go tingly for no reason / my hands feel like they could pop at times..Weird!shock I was given 3 months of the pill i used to take to see if that would regulate my periods as i had no pattern as to monthly bleeding..It was worse than a shift pattern..4days on 2 days off 7 days on!!!! Nightmare.
I have been reassured by reading these posts that I am ringing the docs first thing to get it out!! Ah...can't wait.

Summertimefizz Sat 29-Aug-09 23:49:34

Hi There, I'm FINALLY having the merina coil removed, after experiencing every side
effect in the book including an extraordinary amount of weight gain. I was wondering has anyone been able to lose any of their excess weight yet and how difficult was it?

Thanks
Summertimefizz

susall Sun 30-Aug-09 09:51:28

I got mine out on wed and have lost 3lb without trying at all. I have been eating pretty much what I want and have done no excersise for nearly 2 weeks so am pretty surprised I lost anything at all. Come monday I go back to watching what I eat and doing my ea active on the wii with some running in the hope that this time I will lose more than time!!!

Summertimefizz Tue 01-Sep-09 21:36:46

Thanks for the info, gives me some hope. I can honestly say that I've never felt
this low in my life. I can't wait to start excercising again and actually see the results.

I wish I'd found this site 4 months ago!!!

However, I've now been told that I need to be menstruating on the day the coil is removed. Is this correct? Any advice?

Cheers

susall Tue 01-Sep-09 21:56:02

I was Summer and the whole removal was over in 5 mins max with nothing more than a small pain when it was pulled out. I am still spotting a week later but have had no pain and have started to feel a lot better.

Summertimefizz Wed 02-Sep-09 10:59:02

Ok Susall, I'm just so eager to get this foreign body out of me!! I'll let you know how I get on, you've been really helpful....

Cheers

susall Wed 02-Sep-09 18:32:19

Thats exactly what hubby and I called it lol.

aggie74 Sun 06-Sep-09 21:53:40

Hi ladies

I am new to this website, but having read all your posts I don't know what to do for the best.

I am 34 years old with two children, I had to Mirena fitted last Friday due to heavy and very irregular periods and terrible mood swings. But just one week later if had dislodged and come out!

I have just got over PND, which I have been suffering from for 5 years, and put on weight and having read what I have I'm not sure if I want another fitted due to the pain, bleeding and weight gain!

Any suggestions?

Summertimefizz Mon 07-Sep-09 00:33:46

Hi There aggie74,

I can't believe the coil came outshock!!!

The only advice I can give you is to discuss with your GP what other options are available to you other than the mirena coil.

I've yet to decide what avenue to take to relieve my heavy periods once the coil is removed, but I know having this device inserted was the worse decision of my life, as the last 4 mmths have been a total nightmare.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

susiejean Sun 13-Sep-09 15:42:12

Hi
How is everyone getting on with loosing weight after they have had the coil removed.
I am still trying to decide if I should have mmine removed. I have been attending weight
watchers for 4 months and have been exercising for at least an hour a day (something I have never done before) but despite sticking to it rigidly I am only loosing between 1/2 and 1 pound a week, as I have 10 stone to loose this is depressing, I have also lost quite a few inches off my arms legs and chest but have not lost anything from my extremelly round stomach. I still look 9 months pregnant. I need to go back to my doctor with more facts as he is very unsympathetic when I ask if it is a side effect of the coil.

ihatethecold Sun 13-Sep-09 17:10:39

why dont you say to your doctor you want to get pregnant, he/she cant question that, then you can have it removed without the 20 questions. when i had 1 removed 7 yrs ago. no one questioned me {although i was doing it to get pregnant}

Radox123 Sun 13-Sep-09 20:26:55

Put on 4 stone in 4 months with Mirena, with NO change in diet/exercise.

2 years of Dr telling me it wasn't the Mirena causing weight gain and not being able to loose weight.

2 years of leg cramps, spotting, migraines, depression, BIG stomach bloating.

I was always told the hormone in the Mirena was so small it wouldn't do anything to me.
Absolute tosh, as soon as it was taken out (against my GP's wishes, at a well-woman's clinic by a lovely nurse who told me she'd seen so many woman complaining about these side effects on the bloody thing.)

Weight went eventually after it was taken out. Horrible horrible thing. Dr should not be telling us it's not the Mirena. Women who are sensitive to hormone in the pill etc, seem to react badly to it.

Apologies for bad grammar - posting in a real rush with one hand!!!

Summertimefizz Tue 15-Sep-09 10:37:00

I'm so excited, never been so pleased for my period to arrive!!!! Why? You ask. I can FINALLY have this 'devil of a contraption' out of my body TOMMORROW that's why grin. I can't wait, the nightmare will hopefully be over!!!smile.

MrsSnowy Sat 19-Sep-09 23:14:16

Hi! this is my first message! just thought i would say that having read all the comments, i am going to have my mirena removed! i had it put in in june after an episode of very heavy bleeding,pain and becoming very anaemic. I had scans that revealed fibroids and ovarian cysts, so they decided to admit me and fit a mirena. I was fine up until a month ago, i was having very strong pain very similar to the pain i was having previously, went to my doc who examined me and thought i was pregnant!!!! he also couldnt find the strings!!! so he advised me to do preg test which was of course negative. i am having scans on tues 22nd sept to see where the mirena is! after reading all of your comments i am putting two and two together, i have started to gain weight!, i have no sex drive!, i am very clumsy!, i keep getting episodes of dizziness!, now one of my breasts is very painful, and i am convinced it is the mirena!!! so i am going to ask docs to take it out, and i will deal with things after. Wish me luck and thanks to everyone, you have all helped me make my decision!!!! Mrs Snowy xxx

Summertimefizz Sun 20-Sep-09 13:12:07

Hi MrsSnowy, I'm glad you've found this thread informative. I thought I was going insane before I found this site! My GP wouldn't believe that any of my symptoms were related to the coil, after many discussions (some heated) I had to resort in going to the FPC who were very sympathetic and helpful. I had mine removed 4 days ago which luckily was very quick and simple, I already feel less bloated. I'm hoping the nausea, painful boobs, mood swings etc will start to subside and I can return to being something that resembles a normal human being and not this MONSTER that's been residing here for the past 6 mths!!

Good Luck on 22nd! It would be good to know how you got on.

Katiex22 Tue 22-Sep-09 12:46:00

hi guys iv just made an appointment like 5 mins ago to get mine removed after readin all the posts, iv not been feelin myself for the past year now and couldnt understand why my mood has been terrible im so snappy and mean i also get really depressedsad its come to the point that i was about to walk out on my partner of 4 yrs somethin that was totally out of the blue. My sex drive has disappeared i cant seem to lose my baby weight(and it was comin off great before i had this put in) my skin is spotty i hav started gettin terrible migraines and nausea oh and my boobs thy get so sore and they pretty much double in size just b4 my period. it was only the other day that i sat down and thought about wats been goin on that i decided to search the symptoms of the MC thats when it all clicked i cant wait to get it outgrin

Summertimefizz Fri 25-Sep-09 08:13:35

Katiex22, How did you get on at your GP/FPC?smile

when i had the mirena coil fitted when my dd1 was 1 1/2 i was a size 14 within 3 months iwas going in to a size 10 then within the yr i had lost so much weight that my size 8 skinny jeans were to big and me being 5ft 9in i looked ill but when i had it removed and had dd2 i put on 4 stone having her and i then had another mirena coil fitted and i couldnt lose the weight now im just on the pill . does the pill have the same afected as im struggling to lose weight im starting to think im ment to be big hmm

Katiex22 Mon 28-Sep-09 21:24:31

hey went to the clinic today got put on the patch gettin the coil removed next week, wanted it out today but had sex the other night so the doc didnt want to take it out and maybe risk me gettin pregnant so now im on the MC and the patch lol. Was gettin told about the copper coil and it actually sound gd due to not releasing any hormones so if the patch doest agree with me think i might get that, but then again plannin to try for another baby in a few months so dont no if its worth gettin the coil put in again to be taken out soon after xx

terri3 Tue 29-Sep-09 10:24:42

hi ladies x i'm currently on my 3rd mirena coil. the 1st 2 were great, no problems at all. have had this 1 in for 4 yrs now and cant wait to get it removed. was fine until the beginning of this year but i've put 3stone on so far (and thats whilst dieting)! doc keeps telling me that its not the coil but having read your posts i feel differently. i've been feeling really down lately,just cant seem to pick myself up which isn't like me at all. and i'm so moody! it never occured to me that it could be the coil. am going to see doc about having it out and getting sterilised.(definitly no more kids for me)!!!

rhonda2793 Wed 30-Sep-09 20:08:38

OMG i had the mirena fitted last year in October and ever since i have not been away from my doctors with breast pain, bleeding irregular etc as you have all described. The doctor thinks i am paranoid as i had convinced myself i had some sort of breast disease with the pains i have been having and doctor has checked them for lumps etc numerous times and i just keep getting told its blocked milk glands and hormones make it worse when my period is due but bleeding irregular so feel like i have this breast tenderness constantly. Asked doctor about coil and they dismissed it as rubbish they are even sending me to physio due to the pains i get as sometimes affects my shoulder/arm with pain but i am convinced its the coil as timing and symptons all relate, but don't know what else to use as its been the only thing that has reduced the heaviness of my periods even though irregular. Hope all you guys get sorted ok.

hayleybee Fri 09-Oct-09 17:48:49

hi am new to this site and have found all your messagers really helpfull.
had my mc fitted last june and have since put 5 stone on and been admitted in to hospital with pnd aswell as having leg and boob pain. my periods are iregular and havent had one for 3 months now. been to the docter and they said its just me not mc. so dont no what to do. havent felt this bad in agers.

shelly31 Fri 09-Oct-09 21:20:55

Hi all i have been to see my GP today about being sterilised only to be told that the gyno would consider me to be too young at 31 to have it done and my GP suggested i try the mirena coil !! After reading all your posts i certainly wont be having it fitted now !! In the past i have struggled with my weight and managed to lose 3 stone following weight watchers and managed to maintain my weight for the past 5 years so i dont want to start piling on the pounds now !! Im just thankful i read your posts before going ahead with having it fitted !!!!

Lifeisforliving Fri 09-Oct-09 21:34:08

Hi Hayleybee, I put on 3 stone in as many months, suffered from depression, acne, sore breasts, aching joints, I could go on!!

I resorted to going to my local FPC to have mine removed, as like your GP mine insisted that all my symptoms were not related to the MC. The FPC actually listened and believed what I had to say, the conclusion was I'm sensitive to the hormones which you appear to be too.

Since having it removed, which was painless by the way, my symptoms subsided very quickly but I'm struggling to lose the extra weight.sad

No solution I'm afraid, just general info..

hayleybee Sun 11-Oct-09 19:13:49

Hi

Thanks for your input, i will defo be going
to see my gp to get this coil taken out and hope i can start feeling me again just wish i had sceen this site sooner. thanks hayley

victorioriah Mon 12-Oct-09 15:47:51

Like so many of you on here I have never joined a forum before, but reading all these posts has moved me, quite literally, to tears (possibly down to the bloody MC!angry).
I had my coil fitted in January 2006 to deal with irregular and heavy periods and severe abdominal cramping. My GP suspected endometriosis and referred me for a gynecological examination. After several months wait my appointment came through and I was told that the Mirena IUS should deal with my problems. I agreed to try this and one was fitted. Low and behold the bleeding subsided and my periods were transformed from drawn out traumatic events to regular monthly non-events. Result! Or so I thought….
Three and a half years on I have gone up from a size 10-12 to a size 16, a 32E (more than ample in my opinion) to a 34GG and 9 ½ stone to 12 ½ (the day before giving birth to my 8lb6 son I only weighed in at 10’13). I am also currently being prescribed Prozac to deal with my violent, angry and black depressions.
The list continues with symptoms many of you have described: sugar cravings, restless legs, lethargy, etc, etc and to top it all off the cramping and pain has returned as strong as before. Needless to say I am going to have it removed. Today!
I’m so grateful to you all for sharing your experiences because up until today I thought it was just me and I was cracking up (and swelling up) and it was way beyond the control of any mere mortal! Thanks again!!!

Lifeisforliving Mon 12-Oct-09 17:50:56

Victorioriah, this site was a godsend to me, I thought I was going insane, I really wished I'd done more research before having it inserted.

I've recently come off Citalopram which was prescribed because of the side effects of that damn thing!!! I can honestly say that this has been worse 6 months of my life, purely down to the MCsad

Hope everything worked out for you today, and the foreign body has been removed.smile

Good Luck...

victorioriah Mon 12-Oct-09 19:42:04

Yes yes! Just got back from FPC which was, surprisingly, very quick and almost painless ! I practically skipped home and can't wait to start feeling normal again (although it's been so long it will be quite abnormal I'm sure!)
I'll be sure to drop a line to let you know my progress.
Thanks to you all again x

cazren Wed 14-Oct-09 20:11:03

I had a mirena coil fitted 3 yrs ago. This was following diagnosis of severe endometriosis and a subsequent 6 month course of prostap injections. The prostap causeed massive weight gain for me which I have sinced struggled to use. The mirena was fitted to stop my periods (which it has) and with no bleeding I get no pain. During this time I have also suffered with depression (my partner died) which was worse when I had PMT so I was prescribed Citalopram. I have been dieting for years and go to the gym regularly because it's my hobby, but still struggle to lose the 2 stone excess I have carried sine the prostap. I now want to insist on having the coil removed as I stopped the Citalopram 6 months ago and still no weight loss. My Dr will try and persuade me to leave it in because she is adamant that it does not cause weight gain. I think she thinks I am paranoid and blame everything except me for my weight gain. Trouble is if I have the coil removed the endo will come back and my only other option is a hysterectomy. This does not bother me in that I do not want more children, I am just worried that as I am 43 I will need HRT and anything relating to hormones carries a threat of weight gain. Can anyone offer advice please?

victorioriah Thu 15-Oct-09 14:00:44

cazren it may be worth trying out the copper coil or IUD which is hormone free?
I am worried about the return of my symptoms too but I decided to give it a go and I'll try something new if they do return such as the IUD. If your doctor objects to removing just go to the FPC as they don't seem to have the same reluctance to remove it as GP's and practice nurses.
Hope this helps x

cazren Fri 16-Oct-09 10:29:48

Thanks Victorioriah I spoke to my Dr and she has referred me to a new gynae consultant to see what can be done. She was happy to take out the coil but suggested I wait until I have seen the consultant just to try and delay the return of the pain which will come with periods. She has advised that hysterectomy is not the only option and there is no guarantee that problem would go away even if had hysterectomy, she mentioned ablation which might be another option. Either way I feel relieved that one way or another the coil is coming out. Since reading this and other discussions forums I am convinced this is the right thing to do, been suffering with side effects or pain for 4 years now and its long enough. Thanks again x

NKffffffffac299261X1224b5adbd6 Sun 06-Dec-09 21:57:27

Hi
Just a quick update from July. I had my coil removed in August. Very heavy periods back and no weight loss yet but I am feeling more like the old me and I am taking more exercise and more importantly no anti depressants. Have just be diagnosed with fibroids yipee! The lady doing the scan told me it was my age!

tanned Thu 28-Jan-10 22:36:32

hy girls i have had all the contraceptions like the injection ,mirena coil ,implant , the pill, i have been using these for years and wen i didnt use any off them for about a year i was down to my natural size off a 12. then ive noticed everytime i had one off these i felt like my weight gain was big. i went from a 12 to 16 in couple off years.i truly feel like that any form of contraception.ive had has made me put weight on. i also eat healthy, and go gym 3 times a week soo i cant blame it on that. ive had the coil taken out today sooo i will keep u in formed to see if my weight drops x

susie1968 Tue 02-Feb-10 20:53:59

thought i had made right choice having my mirena coil removed last jan. But soon realised that although weight loss was quite rapid my periods became troublesome, pouring and bleeding every 2 weeks it became very draining so decided to have coil refitted after weighing up pros and cons. had it fitted in november and already feel bloated am sure have gained a few pounds! am back on antidepressants since last summer when anxiety and headaches returned, doc has since diagnosed me with fibromyalgia which i have heard can be linked with long term endometriosis (great). pretty much doing ok but in the real world would much rather not rely on any drugs at all

lepeugh Mon 15-Feb-10 12:50:29

I have been to the doctor 3 times now and asked to have the mirena removed and every time I come away being persuaded otherwise by my GP. I read above some women have had theirs successfully removed at their family planning clinic. How do I find out where mine is? I have gained 3 stone in weight since I had mirena fitted 2.5yrs ago. I find it incredibly difficult to shift weight no matter how hard I try. It is very slow almost non existent. I have followed weight watchers and cut out alcohol. I exercise 4 or 5 times a week at the gym plus swimming but it makes no difference. I have had my thyroid checked. One of the other main side effects I have noticed is incredibly painful boobs. I have 2 weeks where I feel normal and then I start getting bloated and boobs are so painful I can't sleep at night. My GP says this is unrelated to the coil and gave me an actual diagnosis of a breast condition (I now can';t recall the exact medical name of this.) All I know is - I didn't have this before I got the mirena fitted. My GPs main concern is what I will do for contraception if I have it taken out. I have 2 children and I don't want anymore. I wish I had just said I was planning on getting pregnant again as then they would have removed it.

Lifeisforliving Mon 15-Feb-10 15:07:27

Hi Lepeugh,

Sorry to hear you're not having much luck with your GP, I know how it feels. I found my local clinic online, just type 'family planning clinic' and town name. Honestly it's the best thing I've ever done, by the way the clnic will also discuss other forms of contraception for you to consider. Good Lucksmile

kazzyb1964 Sat 05-Jun-10 12:04:24

hi if you have a mirena coil fitted 9 times out of ten u will gain weight, i know this for a fact as i gained huge ammounts of weight whilst i had one, some weeks i gained up to 4 lb and nothing i did helped me lose it, one week i stayed on fruit all week and still gained 2lb , up until then i could lose weight easily but with the mirena its the progesterone in it that does the damage, i had it removed and just had the copper coil fitted which is better for no weight gain but im having 2 periods a month, can anyone pls tell me if this will get better ive had it for 9 weeks now, thank you kaz redditch,

babysmamma Tue 15-Jun-10 20:29:10

I had the Mierna fitted in Dec 09 and removed in June 10 after struggling through 6 months. From the start i had most of teh side effects listed, bleeding, cramps, sore breasts, acne, thinning hair etc however was fobbed off saying that these would go after the settling in period (6 months)
I started feeling aggressive all the time and really wound, on top of the bleeding (though this did actully settle down a little) however that was the final staw i really stopped liking myself as i felt evil all the time.
Anyway long story short I WOULD NEVER ADVISE ANYONE TO HAVE THIS based on my personal experience of Mierna just a bit annoyed i put up with feeling that pants for 6 months !!! oh well you live and learn ;-)

sillybillymummy Tue 15-Jun-10 22:06:48

I had one fitted April 09
I don't think my weight gain is directly thanks to mirena, BUT since i had it taken out ( a month ago), my weekly migraines/ daily headaches, moods/ low sex drive / loss of willpower to exercise etc have all dissappeared.
It definitely didn't suit me, maybe its all in my head.. but i had such bad headaches and went to doctor several times, with them saying there's no way it could have been the coil. But i think it was. Also my husband didn't like feeling it...
The only bonus for me, was no periods!

Loonybird Sun 27-Jun-10 11:13:39

Message deleted

Loonybird Thu 01-Jul-10 19:23:11

Message deleted

Loonybird Thu 01-Jul-10 19:24:22

Message deleted

gill0408 Sun 08-Aug-10 13:38:07

My God I am so glad I found this site!!!!! I've struggled with my weight since the birth of my twins in nov 2007. First I had the implant which made my weight ballon, so having this removed I opted for the MC.... what a mistake!!! hmm

Since having it put in back in Nov 09 my weight has increased more. I work as a practice nurse and assisting on implants and coils I find myself having to keep schtumm about how I feel.... I wanna scream at them for being so daft!

With working with GP's they all rant about how fab it is but I feel so different! sad

As well as the weight gain I'm moody, tired, depressed, irritable, have aching joints (which I put down to my Crohns), spots, no sex drive - in fact I'd rather face divorce than sex! (honestly I'm feeling that low!!!!!) Being now 15st 3lbs (biggest I've been .... even when I was pregnant with two HUGE babies) I'm starting to loose the will to live. Sitting reading the posts on here have had me to tears! I've recently changed GP's and I'm gonna go tomorrow to discuss having this 'alien' removed!!!

I'll let you know how it goes.
(has anyone tried the copper coil.....???)

Sorry for the long post!!!

Maitacap Mon 09-Aug-10 10:50:15

Hi, first posting for me so hope I am doing it right. I had mirena fitted 7 months ago and experienced a whole range of side effects. But because every time I went to my doctor she would say it is not the coil, I started to get really worried that something was very wrong with my health!! So it is a relief to be able to read your postings and learn that so many of you are experiencing the same symptoms as me! First of all, I put on lots of weight, about a stone in 7 months, in spite of being a very active mother of two with a relatively small appetite. My breasts are huge and my stomach is so swollen I look 5 month pregnant. The other side effect that has been crippling my life is migraines, which I never ever got before. Without fail, I get them for four days before my period and, as they come with dizziness, tiredness and nausea, they are really debilitating. Besides, I have started experiencing back pain, especially in my lower back, and some days the pain will not leave me from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed again. Finally, anxiety and depression regularly hit a week before I am due. Again, my doctor said that the mirena would help me with my PMT but, although I cannot say this has got worse than it was, it certainly hasn't got any better. Also, I don't know if any of you feel the same, but I find really weird not having periods any more, although I do realise this is not such a big deal compared to other side effects. Basically, my experience with the Mirena has not been positive and I am seriously considering getting it removed. Although, speaking with other women, they have had a really positive experience, so I think it is very much individual.

Maitacap Mon 09-Aug-10 10:55:37

I have and I can honestly say it is even worse. The side effects with the copper coil were extremely long periods and absolutely crazy PMT for about two weeks a month! I could not function any more. Apparently, copper does that to you. Now that I have tried both types, I am definitively steering clear of coils and going back to more old-fashioned methods of contraception

I have a mirena coild and did wonder about putting on weight as a result. I think it probably did increase my appetite.

However, I've still got it in and have managed to lose 16lbs (so far) and still hope to lose more. I know it's frustrating but if, like me, you're finding it great in every other aspect apart from weight gain it might be worth not getting it taken out yet and really trying to stick to a diet. Hard when you're ravenous, I know!

gill0408 Tue 10-Aug-10 13:18:21

Had a "quiet word" with one of theGP's I work with, she agrees that copper coils cause heavier periods.

Got appt for thurs to have MC removed, gonna discuss where to go from there grin

I'll keep you posted!

ClaireyFairy82 Wed 11-Aug-10 13:37:16

I had the Mirena fitted in Feb and my dr warned me that it's quite normal to gain weight. I gained about 1/2 stone. I'm now on slimfast to reduce my weight and it is working fine, so it's possible to get weight down again. But like Kernewek my skin is terrible and I have considered having it out again several times.

Connieandjoesmum Wed 25-Aug-10 23:14:11

So glad i found this site and thread!!

I had the Mirena Coil fitted on 3rd June, never suffered with heavy periods, it was just a form of contraception that my doctor recommended as the pill makes me evil (been on it since i was 16!!) I had a very light bleed for 2 weeks solid but after that i have not bled once, lovely feeling not having a period but the other side effects are just awful. I have had really awful skin which i just don't suffer from usually, i have gained 5lbs in 3 months but with me being a shorty you can really tell. On the plus side, my moods have been fantastic, i have been very chilled out which is a godsend for me and my family. I have decided this evening (after reading everyone else's threads) that i am calling the doctors tomorrow to get an appointment for the bloody thing to be removed!, i feel trapped in a body that doesn't feel like mine. I have talked my husband into having a vasectomy so i don't have to abuse my body with hormones any more. I just don't want to carry on gaining weight and this time next year being about 2 stone heavier (and i don't overeat at all and do plenty of exercise). Wish me luck!! x

Mumsters Thu 02-Sep-10 17:03:09

Hello,
I have just found this site and I m so pleased! I had the copper coil fitted after having a DVT which was put down to being on the pill for over 20 years. It was awful! I had intense pain for 3 weeks out of 4! I continued for 9 months as the Doctor said it would settle but it didn't. The Mirena was then suggested. I had it fitted approximately 5 years ago and still have it. I have always eaten and drank a lot and never really exercised and have never gained weight, but I am at least a stone and a half heavier than I have ever been. I feel bloated, tired and generally not myself, although I agree with the 'chilled out' bit someone mentioned as I have always got very grumpy around my period time. I do not eat half as much as I used to and really watch what I eat but I seem to be getting heavier and more bloated, I also think I look 5 months pregnant. I am now going to think about having it taken out.

Mumsters Thu 02-Sep-10 17:03:38

Hello,
I have just found this site and I m so pleased! I had the copper coil fitted after having a DVT which was put down to being on the pill for over 20 years. It was awful! I had intense pain for 3 weeks out of 4! I continued for 9 months as the Doctor said it would settle but it didn't. The Mirena was then suggested. I had it fitted approximately 5 years ago and still have it. I have always eaten and drank a lot and never really exercised and have never gained weight, but I am at least a stone and a half heavier than I have ever been. I feel bloated, tired and generally not myself, although I agree with the 'chilled out' bit someone mentioned as I have always got very grumpy around my period time. I do not eat half as much as I used to and really watch what I eat but I seem to be getting heavier and more bloated, I also think I look 5 months pregnant. I am now going to think about having it taken out.

thatsnotmyfruitshoot Thu 02-Sep-10 17:24:07

hi there, I say go for it. 6 weeks on the Mirena was enough for me to pile on almost a stone. I looked constantly pregnant, and felt that bloating and tenderness as if I were 4 months gone. I also felt depressed and had mood swings - very unusual for me.

That, along with the constant dribbly bleed was enough for me to have it changed for a copper coil. Now I have normal, regular periods again (no heavier than before) and the horrid bloating has gone. Still have the weight to get rid of though angry

mumandsum Tue 21-Sep-10 19:50:10

Hi new to this, and this is my first post... I have been reading things on here and other sites all day... I am in shock!! I have a long story but please read and help me if you can. In feb 2006 my mum became ill, myself and my sisters nursed her until she died in may of that year. (I was using the copper IUD at the time and was a size 8-10 and weighed between 8.5-9 stn. I lost that weight even after each of my three children (I put on 4 stone each pregnancy)within a matter of weeks) When my mum passed away I took it really bad as is expected, I had a hard time adjusting... In november 2006 i needed to get my coil changed and as i had been having very heavy very long periods the doctor advised that i have the mirena which I did. By this time because of the grief i was moping around and comfort eating a bit I had put on a few pounds was still in a size 10. by may 2007 I ended up being under the priory for serious clinical depression having group and 1-1 counseling and prozac, I got much better i stayed on the prozac for about 18 months have been back on them twice and i am back on them now. I am now a size 16 and weigh around 12.1/2stone. I have struggled with my weight and my moods and lethargy, I never thought that it was this coil!!! I can not actually get my head round it!! I made an appt with the doc to have it out tomo!! please give me some info if you know someone. or you have had yours out and seen results... honestly I am so confused right now... I just want to see if these last 4 years have been down to the this coil!!!

Sunshine0511 Fri 22-Oct-10 22:09:54

I had the mirena fitted about 6 months ago after suffering from permanent bleeding after having my son.

Almost immediately I felt very bloated and began to put on weight. I spoke to my GP who said that it couldnt be the mirena, it must be my diet, and that I had to give it a chance.

3 months later I had put on over 2 stone despite going to the gym 3 times a week and starting Slimming World and was more than I had ever weighed and looked pregnant again due to the amount of bloating. I also started to experience contraction like pains.

My GP finally referred me for a ultrasound scan and we discovered that my body was actually trying to push the mirena out - hence the contractions! For some reason it just did not agree with me.

I had it properly removed last week and have already lost 4lb and have a noticeably flatter stomach - the bloating is almost completely gone.

My GP is trying to talk me into trying it again however I think I am going to take the hint that my body is giving me and stick to the Pill!!!

extremepie Tue 02-Nov-10 16:13:06

I have had a Mirena for nearly 3 years and don't have periods at all which is very nice! Also seem to have put on quite a lot of weight, never thought it might be due to the coil....Has anyone else had any problems with pain? I get a lot of what feels like severe period pains but no period, comes at any time of the month and not sure what could be causing it except coil. My DH says he can feel it too, is this normal?

lols78 Tue 16-Nov-10 22:21:12

hi i had the merina coil fitted 5 mnths ago now and my side effects are....low mood,lethargic,low sex drive,heavy discharge,vivid dreams,greasy hair,spots round chin,weight gain,grumpy,pain around ovulation time....great contraception cause ur man prob wont want to come near! lol
im having it removed tomorow after 2 previous visits to the doctors and was fobbed off.wish i had done my reaserch before having this done

Sherry2k Tue 04-Jan-11 01:52:07

Hi ladies. I can't tell you how pleased I am to have what I have just recently suspected confirmed! I had really heavy periods and had my first Mirena coil fitted July 2005. I did start to gain weight but didn't think much about it as I've always had a big appetite and been between a 14 & 16. Then I stopped smoking November 2008. I gained more weight and have still stopped smoking (over 2 years) and don't even think about or crave cigarettes any more. Around September 2010 I had my second Mirena coil fitted and have to say I've probably gained half a stone or more since that one went in. I have taken up running and can run miles in a week and generally drink lots of water and eat healthily (except for the occasional treat at the weekend. So since July 2005 I'm guessing I've gained probably about 4 stone! 12th of January is D day - it's coming out....thought I was losing my mind. There had to be a reason why I couldn't shift this weight. I cannot wait to slowly shrink back down. Even a little will be better than nothing! I could cry with relief. Can't believe I didn't think about it before. Weight Watchers, Slimming World, Scottish Slimmers.... God luvs a tryer! This has to be my answer! You could balance a cup of tea on my belly....feel like I'm pregnant!!
Also I remember back to when speaking to the doctor about my heavy periods and there is an option of Endemetrial Thermal Abrasion (Google it)...I'm going for that! My name is going straight on the NHS waiting list. Love 'n light. xxx

Sherry2k Tue 04-Jan-11 01:56:10

http://www.2womenshealth.com/Endometrial-Ablation. htm

*Ablation - sorry. xx

howtoapproach Thu 06-Jan-11 17:28:46

Another one here feeling very bloated and fat. I've had a mirena about 8 months. I've tried to have it out but they can't find it. I'm now waiting to have it removed under general anaesthetic. I know it's in there somewhere, as I wouldn't be feeling so crap otherwise. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem with them.

jadesayo Mon 07-Feb-11 00:35:24

I have never posted on a forum before but I feel I really must as a result of this evil contraceptive called the Mirena Coil.
Thankfully, I only had it in for 8 months & to think that in that time, it turned me from a happy person into a monster, who was starting to think there was nothing in life to live for (bearing in mind, I am a mother of 3 wonderful children!).
As well as depression, which I had never suffered from, i gained over 1 1/2 stone in weight - which no matter what I did could not be shifted due to a monstrous appetite for sweet & sugary food.
I had a constant bloated tummy, which led a parent at my kids school to ask when I was expecting child no. 4!
Complete and utter loss of libido, to the extent that I thought I no longer loved my husband & might therefore have to consider divorce!
The last straw was when I started to suffer from debilitating back pain - such that I couldn't get out of bed without being in agony or get into the car, without my son lifting my legs in.
I only connected all these ailments to the coil after only accidently coming across posts, through researching what was causing the back pain.
In my opinion, there appears to be what could be termed a conspiracy by GPs refusing to believe that in some women the coil produces some distressing & debilitating side effects. I was practically bullied by my GP into having the coil inserted in the 1st place & then he refused to remove it when I asked him to - I had to bypass him by getting the nurse to remove it!
Have only had it removed for 4 weeks now, but already bloatedness has gone, feeling happier, although sex drive still low, not eating as much & my back within days of having the evil thing removed, started to get better!
Ladies, for some the MC works fine, for others like myself, it can become a living nightmare - all I ask is if you are thinking of having it inserted, that you at least be aware of its potential side-effects & are not caught unaware. I didn't read the info leaflet given to me after insertion - in fact I threw it away as I did not expect something recommended by my GP as safe to cause me so much pain & heartache.

Please, we are intelligent women, who know our bodies better than anyone, doctor or no doctor, so lets listen to it, when its not happy!

angels3 Fri 11-Feb-11 14:52:25

Well, I've just come back from my Doc's because of heavy bleeding, and she recommended that I have a Merina coil fitted! She made it sound like a good choice and didn't give any idea that there may be so many side effects!

I'm already over weight, and certainly don't need anymore! I'm being checked out for a PID and she recommended this coil as a way of reducing my heavy periods, I tried tablets and they just made me ill, sick, headaches etc. So what to do????? Will go on with the check up because I have check that I don't have a cyst! (had chickenpox 12 months ago causing a MC and it has never been resolved) and will think long and hard about Merina.

Foreverondiet Fri 11-Feb-11 15:03:43

The weight gain is caused as appetite can be increased.... it doesn't actually increase your weight unless you eat more.

I have one and I love it (although I know not everyone gets on with it) - periods now 3 days very light roughly every 7-8 weeks and last time I had one they stopped altogether after around 6-9 months.

I am on diet loosing baby weight (weight gain nothing to do with coil, it was put in the week my diet started) and have lost 36lbs since October.

lola2011 Thu 24-Feb-11 20:25:23

hi everyone ," i googled 2 how long should you wait for a scan when your mirena coil is missing " and here i am surrounded by all you poor ladies feeling exactly like i have for the past 5 yrs. I cannot believe its taken me 5 yrs to realise i possibly have not been going mad , maybe i haven't turned frigid after all and that when they eventually find it and whip te evil thing out i may get back to feeling part of normal life!! 1 stone heavier since having my son and the mirena coil.The weight would not budge for nothing and has made me very depressed and i did suffer for a little while with bulimia although nobody knows this but you ladies.
I am thinking of getting sterilised when its out. I am 41yrs and happy to have 2 gorgeous boys and do not want to go through life feeling as bad as i have because of any contraception device. Hope you all get sorted. It might be great having no periods but its no big deal compared to depression or bulimia
I hope they hurry with this scan cause i want it out right now !!

xnatzx Fri 25-Feb-11 23:30:16

I had to join to post on here as I have so many of these syptoms, the biggest being the fact that Im training everyday (swimming for 2hrs a day) on a very strict diet trying to lose the weight I have gained since having the mc fitted(7 months). So far I have lost all of 2 lbs in seven weeks!! I have dieted before not as strict and with no exercise and lost a hell of a lot more than this, being 14st 8 to start with I should be physically losing more than this. I accept I'm building some sort of muscle but my stomach is still as bloated and cannot decrease trouser size purely on my stomach.
Along with this I am not myself terrible migraines when I never used to have any. All of which I was putting down to my stressful job, but now Im having second thoughts.
Complete loss of libido, constantly tired, angry then tearful, then furious in a rage I feel is uncontrolable, I would seriously think before having a contraception like this.
I'm ringing the doctors again on Monday after already been once and told its not the coil I feel that I have now proved that with the amount of exercise and dieting Im doing it must be the coil as no body would physically hold onto the weight as much if it was not hormone related.
Ill let you know how I get on in a month and also if the weight starts to disappear.

shellbell999 Wed 13-Apr-11 11:35:41

Hi ladies,

I've never posted on this board before but have been doing a lot of reading lately! I just wanted to share my story and hopefully support some of you.

I have always struggled with false and have suffered with depression on and off as a result. I was on the pill and the depo jab since I was 14 but never linked it to my depression. When I came off of the hormonal contraceptives, I realised that I felt better than I had for a good 10 years!! After having two beautiful babies, I was unfortunately diagnosed with endometriosis. It seems the hormonal contraceptives had kept it at bay for all of those years. Following my laparoscopy, the doctor's advised the best treatment for my endo would be the Mirena coil. Reluctantly (because of the hormones), I had it fitted. The doc told me that the release of hormones was so small it was unlikely to affect me. I noticed I got spots, mild dizziness and tired, but it sure beat the symptoms and consequences of the endo developing.

Now this time last year I had bought my wedding dress. I had lost my baby weight and got in to a beautiful gown of my dreams. When I came back for the fitting a couple of months I was devastated to see that despite my weeks of healthy eating, I could not get into my dress!! I had put on over a stone!! So the mission started. I have been working like I have never worked in my life to lose the weight. Cardio exercise, rice, beans, rye bread. You name it and I have done it. But I attended WW every week and to my dismay I stayed the same, and even put on a couple of times. My leader has been puzzled by it too and referred it to her managers for ideas.

After reading all of the info on the internet I decided it MUST be that darn coil. I had it removed asap (yesterday). Now yes, it was only yesterday, but I have woken up 6lb lighter!! I really am not exaggerating or mad - it MUST be water weight or something.

I know everyone always wants to know how quick you lose the weight so I will keep you posted. Wish me luck. I have a dress fitting this Saturday for my wedding on 14th May!

bandlady Sat 28-May-11 10:29:19

I put on a stone and a half after I had the mirena fitted 5 years ago and the doctors told me that was impossible and I found it impossible to loose and the doctors said it had nothing to do with the coil and that you could not put that much weight on so quickly and would not entertain that water retention option.

Due to heavy and painful periods (the reason for the coil) I have now had it replaced as the 5 years were up and I made a decision that the issues were outweighed by the benefits for me.

The good thing now is that the doctors cannot argue that the coil does not cause weight gain as I insisted on being weighted on the day the coil was fitted. That was on the 16th of this month as 10 days before I had a gastric band fitted. As I have been on a liquid diet of approx 3 yogurts and a tin of soup for two weeks and then mash approx a bowl for the last 10 days the reason for any weight gain could not have been through my diet.

Whilst I have not gained any weight I have not lost a pound since the coil was fitted. I lost 19lbs in the two and half weeks before the coil was fitted with the pre op diet and then the liquid post op diet.

This for me is proof that the coil does cause the weight gain. I am going back to the doctors to see if this time they will provide me with the water retention pills that are required.

Keep you posted.

Toadette21 Thu 02-Jun-11 18:02:25

Hi, im new here.
I read this thread today with great interest, i have a mirena coil fitted at the moment and its now due to be replaced, ive been putting it off for a while due to the discomfort of the whole procedure.
Ive been struggling for a long while with my weight and my back keeps freezing on me and also im on meds for depression...which im trying to get off, never put them all together until i read this today, now im in two minds to have the coil replaced. Dont know what to do know x

foreverondiet Thu 02-Jun-11 19:24:43

Toadette I had a mirena coil fitted roughly the week I started my diet (ie both around the time I stopped BFing DS2). Have had no problem loosing 3.5 stone since then now at target.

The hormone in mirena is similar to that in the mini-pill and injection (but at much lower dose) and the combined pill is not suitable if you are overweight (or over 35) - so if you rule out mirena then you need to consider non hormonal contraception.

Probably best to discuss with doctor.

Toadette21 Fri 03-Jun-11 16:26:28

Hi,
i dont have the mirena as contraception as DH has had snip, i had this put in to help with heavy bleeding and mood swings. I am 44 and never had prob with weight issues before.. also been suffering with very bad lower back issues and fighting depression....shoot me now lol

ps im 44 x

foreverondiet Fri 03-Jun-11 16:51:27

In that case might be worth seeing if other options to combat the heavy bleeding are available.... can always get it put back in again after a break?

Toadette21 Fri 03-Jun-11 17:19:01

Ive convinced myself that is what i should do, told hubby last night and you should have seen the look of sheer horror on his face lol, thats until i told him it can affect my libido lol.
Going to try without it anyway, fingers crossed.

If it wasnt for finding this site and thread yesterday then id be none the wiser x

Jo3kids Thu 16-Jun-11 16:35:00

I am just so happy that I have found this site as I have been struggling to know why I have been having the symptoms I have. My relationship has been stressed due to my low sex drive and moods and I really now believe that it is due to the Mirena coil.
I originally questioned the coil only recently as I lost 4 stone from about Nov 09 to Nov 10, but have not been able to shift the last stone I want to fit into the healthy bracket. I have been going to the gym for the last 18 months and have started boot camp. I walk about 2-3 miles per day and the weight will not blooming well shift. It is getting so dis-heartening as I work so hard and am so fit now.
I decided after reading these posts and a few others that I wanted it removed. i went to the Contraception clinic where I had the coil fitted and had it removed today. I hope that I am now able to lose weight and my symptoms of low sex drive, tiredness and moods subside. The nurse did say it could take 6 weeks to 6 months to get a period and for the hormones to go out of my body.
I am not looking forward to having a period after having the coil in for 3 years, but I cannot put up with the weight any longer. This last stone has to come off as I am getting so fed up with it and the bloating sad
I thank all you lovely ladies for providing your experiences and I hope mine will help others too.

lizzyloola Mon 11-Jul-11 20:20:42

Finally had my mirena out six weeks ago.Just thought I'd give an update for anyone whose had weight gain and sore breast etc because of mirena.I've now dropped a dress size and a bra size ( and they aren't sore anymore) It's not a coincidence.I just feel like me again,and I'm sure someone out there knows what I mean by that.If you think it's the coil causing you're problems,go see the GP and get rid.I don't understand why they say the hormone is only released locally and shouldn't affect your whole body,when I've had painful boobs constantly for nearly two years.It's a horrid thing,and I'm so glad to see the back of it.

HattiFattner Mon 11-Jul-11 22:07:45

i had my mirena fitted in November, Im seeing GYN in 2 weeks to discuss having it out as it has not fixed the problem it was supposed to fix (heavy periods) - I still bleed a great deal, but over a looooooooong period (16 days last month) rather than in a short burst.

Ive also suffered depression, weight gain (18lbs), excessive vaginal discharge , 3 infections (Group B strep & bacterial vaginosis), as well as horrible itching (due to having to wear pads every day), sore lumpy boobs and spots.

I'm asking for an ablation, as my childbearing years are over.

Like many say, mirena is like marmite - you either love it or hate it. I am in the hate camp.

lehcar01 Mon 11-Jul-11 23:41:50

Hi all. First time I have posted on a site but could really do with some help. I too have gained over a stone in weight since having the mirena coil fitted. Unlike most of you though I have had mine fitted for lack of hormones (declared either menopausal or also been told I have dysfunctional ovarian syndrome!). Since having it fitted I have actually had a period (although told I wouldn't have any which was quite funny as it was 6 months or more since the one previously) and other symptoms have improved eg night sweats, hot flushes but the weight gain is really beginning to upset me. I have gone up a dress size (which is already begining to feel tight) and a bra cup size too (also verging on 2!!). I have only ever been this weight whilst pregnant and even though I am constantly on the go and have even taken up cycling 10 - 15 miles at a time I cant shift any weight. I am only 40 and 40 fat and frumpy is something that I never wanted to be. My GP also has told me that the weight gain wont be down to the coil.
Anybody else had a similar experience?????

lizzyloola Wed 13-Jul-11 15:14:09

Hi lehcar01.I know exactly how you feel.Gaining weight is vile when you are doing so much exercise and probably eating healthy.That was me before I had it out.I thought for a while that it was 'my age'( 45) that gaining weight,feeling moody and having spots all the time. It just makes you depressed about yourself.Get that Mirena out!Remember life begins at 40,and it's your life! Oh and my GP also told me weight gain was nothing to do with Mirena-how come I'm back to my normal size 12 within 6 weeks?( 14s had become very tight!) Is there not something else you could have as a complete alternative to mirena? Got to be worth asking.Good luck;)

mumofoneage7 Wed 13-Jul-11 18:46:30

Just had mine removed yesterday due to sore and massive boobs and 20lb weight increase. Doctor was not happy about removing it and didnt mind telling me- a lesser willed person may have left the surgery with their tail between their legs and gone to get some primrose oil!! She said she has fitted 600 merinas and knows of very few problems. Anyway I has it taken out-painlessly, so will wait and see if my Dolly Parton boos return to normal and my weight goes down x

Snuppeline Wed 13-Jul-11 19:26:02

I can't believe I'm reading this! I've been wondering if there is something wrong with my thyroid as I can't loose weight (keep putting it on in fact), I've no sex drive what so ever despite my dd being nearly 3.

I remember vividly the day that my gp put in the mirena coil and I was there to get a copper coil. For some reason my gp was insisting that the mirena was much better. I specifically told her I had bad experiences with hormonal contraception from before. She assured me no bad effects are associated with mirena. Why oh why didn't I just stand my ground and demand the copper coil?? I was a size 10 then and now I'm a size 16 shock

Okay I've enjoyed the odd choc and glass of wine but I've always thought I put on a dispropotionat amount of weight compared to what I consume of bad things, AND I exercise 3-5 times a week! I'm also doing what is called an "intensive" workout programme which a personal trainer sat up for me. No real fat/weight loss despite this... I'm so upset right now thinking that the stupid mirena might be the cause of all this! If only I had stood my ground and demanded the copper coil! <sob>

Baffledandbewildered Mon 18-Jul-11 20:29:50

I have had mine for 6 weeks.it's been hell I have put on 8kg in weight got sore boobs and I am so depressed. Everything seems pointless and I have no energy or motivation. It was so painful being inserted the only thing stopping me having it taken out is the fear of how much it will hurt. The doctors pushed for me to have a mirena against my better judgement and no I regret listening to them and not all the women on the Internet . God I have no idea what to do I feel trapped by fear

mumofoneage7 Mon 18-Jul-11 21:26:35

Please dont feel trapped- it is your body. The doctor made me feel like a naughty school girl when i told her i wanted mine removed but i stood my ground. Quietly reminded myself that i am an adult and will not be told what to do by a doctor who obviously is under instructions to fit as many coils as poss to save the nhs money against the Pill. 6 days later, i feel better already- i have lost 5 pounds,swollen boobs have gone, and i have had a period, which i feel has been waiting to happen for 2 years!

Baffledandbewildered Mon 18-Jul-11 22:55:42

Thank you mumof .it's the fear of the pain and I have now become phobic about people routing around down there after so many painful procedures. I just feel in a no win situation medical blunders and no solution in sight. I have very heavy periods and don't want to go back to that as I was hospitalised and given blood transfusions.....but this is awful I bleed every day I'm fat sad and so bloody moody. It's the choice between the devil and the deep blue sea!!!! Shit shit shit

Baffledandbewildered Tue 19-Jul-11 10:47:23

bacon Sun 24-Jul-11 12:10:23

I love my coil, I dont blame any contraception for my weight gain either, there was a recent study that found no connection between the pill and weight gain. If you can cope with the pill then the coil is the same thing. Only those who have adverse effects with the pill shouldnt bother with the coil.

If your in your 30's then you will put weight on unless you cut down, follow a lower carb diet and exercise. I was a small size at 30 but by the mid thirties it started loading on and now I'm 16-18.

It did take a couple of months to calm down and now my periods are short and very light. I love it.

JVL Sun 09-Oct-11 22:01:48

Hi, I had the mirena fitted 4 weeks ago and immediately I started with rashes and itching, first on my neck, then face, then arms. I've been prescribed steroid creams and 3 x antihistamines a day (normal dose 1 a day). It has now settled down on my face but still lingering a bit on my neck and arms. I also think Ive gained a few pounds, I normally dont fluctuate at all. My GP has agreed to remove it this week if I choose. Just not sure whether to give it a bit longer to see.

susiewestie Mon 17-Oct-11 22:15:44

I am literally crying as i type this. I cant believe i have finally found someone who has had a rash because of the coil - Thank you JVL - I had my coil fitted in june of this year, since then i have bled everday up until about 6 weeks ago. Since then i have developed a rash on my stomach chest neck and face. It began with lumps on my face which have gone down but i now have a painfull rash everywhere else that feels like i am sunburnt. My doctor first said that i had urticaria which i was prescribed antihistamines for but 2 weeks later it didnt go away, my doc then said it is Pityriosis Rosea that can last anytime from 6-8 weeks to 6 months and nothing can be done about it! after reading this i am thinking it could be the coil. My life since having this thing put in has been horrible what with bleeding constantly during the summer and now this, i feel so ugly and depressed, i am going to have this thing taken out.

andreaemc Thu 27-Oct-11 21:56:26

I searched Google for the topic of weight gain due to coil being fitted as I have put on a significant amount of weight recently. This happened to me years ago after having depoprovera injections and so I instantly recognised the symptoms. I have always been a size 8-10, I eat healthily and I wouldn't say I'm extremely unfit but now I'm struggling to fit into a size 12. I'm unable to get the injections now as I was on them for 5 years but the side effects of the coil for me personally are not worth it. Yes my periods have gone,I still get the odd spotting and discharge, but the mood swings and weight gain are the most difficult things to deal with. Definitely going to speak to my GP to get it removed!

susiewestie Tue 01-Nov-11 20:37:36

Had the coil taken out friday (tho the doctor reluctant to do it) . My skin has now started to feel and look better. I cant believe i didnt do it sooner. i feel so much better and feel happier. going to research what other contraception i can use that would suit me. am glad i joined mumsnet

fenke Sat 05-Nov-11 23:42:04

I am fed up with people who state that those who have put on weight through using the coil are using this as an excuse. Well let me tell you, i have been skinny all my life and never over eat, since using the coil my flat stomach has turned into a triple one and i have put on a lot of weight. for 5 weeks i went on a strict detox just water day one, only fruits and juice for 2 weeks, the remainder of the time cabbage, mushroom and tomato soup.I was lucky to have 5 weeks off work being a tutor, time spent to concentrate on my body. I did aerobics 2 hours each morning and went on three hour walks, and the weight did not shift, my knees and legs were bloated. I went back to the clinic saying that i look pregnant and asked if one could put on weight through using the coil. The nurse said no, I wonder how they can say this when many people must bring this issue to them, i read somewhere that the coil is the cheaper option for the NHS. which is why they try to promote it. i have been on the coil for about 6 months now and have found only in the last two weeks that i am hungry all the time - i am worried because if i have put on so much weight without eating much what will happen now that i am beginning to crave. I am going to get this bloody thing out of me. Talking about bloody, i have never bled so much in my life, i use to have light periods and now they are heavy and smelly and i experience discharge -so out goes oral sex out the window. i am 42 and need a replacement, any ideas.

fenke Sun 06-Nov-11 00:17:21

I am fed up with people who state that those who have put on weight through using the coil are using this as an excuse. Well let me tell you, i have been skinny all my life and never over eat, since using the coil my flat stomach has turned into a triple one and i have put on a lot of weight. for 5 weeks i went on a strict detox just water day one, only fruits and juice for 2 weeks, the remainder of the time cabbage, mushroom and tomato soup.I was lucky to have 5 weeks off work being a tutor, time spent to concentrate on my body. I did aerobics 2 hours each morning and went on three hour walks, and the weight did not shift, my knees and legs were bloated. I went back to the clinic saying that i look pregnant and asked if one could put on weight through using the coil. The nurse said no, I wonder how they can say this when many people must bring this issue to them, i read somewhere that the coil is the cheaper option for the NHS. which is why they try to promote it. i have been on the coil for about 6 months now and have found only in the last two weeks that i am hungry all the time - i am worried because if i have put on so much weight without eating much what will happen now that i am beginning to crave. I am going to get this bloody thing out of me. Talking about bloody, i have never bled so much in my life, i use to have light periods and now they are heavy and smelly and i experience discharge -so out goes oral sex out the window. i am 42 and need a replacement, any ideas.

nimrodjulie Mon 14-Nov-11 18:30:43

hi i had the coil fitted just on 4 weeks ago already im feeling bloated especially round my stomach im very slim so i look about 4 months pregnant im starting to feel down about it i have no other symtoms at the moment and im hoping this is only temperary as my body is getting used to the hormonal change can anyone reassure of this? i have got to get into my little black dress for christmas ps i also exercise but nothing is shifting at the moment.

LilLizaJane Thu 22-Dec-11 17:51:25

Mirena and weight gain: I can't believe how many people appear to have had similar experiences, and like those who've already called for an investigation/class action, I feel this shouldn't remain hidden. I can list a number of symptoms, which (again, like many others) I thought were unrelated or "my fault": inexplicable weird feelings of sadness or ill-temper, restlessness/moodiness, massive weight gain with heavy limbs and occasionally EXTRA bloating on top of this (boobs especially), sleeplessness . . . Admittedly I've had a number of major negative life events (loss of my mother, home, and previous partner top the list!!) in the last few years, so it's easy to think there might be psychological reasons.

However! I also do all the things that keep me sane and sociable and which are recommended for anti-depression. I sing in a choir, I exercise, I walk my dog daily in beautiful woodland, I have a good job and a new partner, and my two almost-grown-up children give me little worry and lots of amusement and pride. I don't overeat, in fact I am very careful about portion control and we eat very little processed food. But the weight keeps on increasing and I do notice I have a sweeter tooth than I ever had before. . the Mirena coil. (I'm on my second, the first having been replaced without much thought by me, but in retrospect I see I've been gaining weight for years. . probably only the stress disguised it at first).

I've looked not only at this site (where, incidentally, I see this isn't the only thread dealing with Mirena-related problems) but also at Discovery, the Daily Mail health website, Nethealth and several others. Same stories everywhere, including Canada and the US. I'm used to weighing up evidence, and it seems to me pretty overwhelming.

I am 53 and therefore probably peri-menopausal. I see no reason to persist with something even if it's no more than LIKELY that it's the cause of the problems I'm experiencing. I'm appalled at the stories of bullying by GPs I've read today. I'm old enough to remember a book called Our Bodies, Ourselves (anyone else out there??) which among other things suggest that women could claiming independence and control over their own sexuality through contraception. Alas, what a delusion that proved to be. . .

I'll post again after I have the coil removed. Follow up is slightly lacking in the stories online.

Bexy34 Tue 07-Feb-12 07:01:50

I've had this coil for a year now and I train in the gym 5 days a week. My diet is very healthy I have cut everything out yet I still weigh the same as I did last June! I'm getting really down hearted and depressed about my weight and my personal trainer just doesn't understand what's happening! I have experienced bloating with the coil and have been thinking about having it removed! I get married next march and I'm not getting married this weight!
Is there anyone that has had the weight gain problems and had it removed? If so has it made a difference? I'm running out of ideas on what to do and finding myself getting obsessed with ways in which to lose the pounds!!

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Tue 07-Feb-12 07:37:25

Get it taken out!

I've never had a problem with my weight. Had that thing fitted and gained two stones in two months! My doctor was soooo reluctant to get it taken out. She probably thought I was making excuses for eating too much cake! If it wasn't for how rapidly the weight went on, I never would have linked it to the Mirena.

Yesterday, I was looking back at a food diary I kept over the time I had it fitted/ taken out, and once it was out I immediately lost weight without changing anything. So much of it was water retention. It was crazy! shock

Bexy34 Tue 07-Feb-12 12:10:05

I'm so worried its going to hurt! Thinking bout having paracetamol first! It didn't really hurt having it in but I've heard so many stories bout having it out!!! X

Jem123 Wed 29-Feb-12 21:48:25

Has anyone had any problems getting their hair coloured? Ever since I had the coil inserted 3 months ago , my hair is getting really hot when colour is applied and it has to be removed. Most things have been ruled out so this leads me to suspect the change in hormones is causing the problem. That coupled with my growing frame, sore boobs and non existent sex drive is really getting me down.

I was so looking forward to getting in shape after my baby and nothing is working.

Janiemp Mon 05-Mar-12 09:16:47

I had the mirena fitted 2 years ago and have decided to have it removed as I don't like the idea of it interfering inside my body. However, since deciding have read lots about the side effects and realise that my weight gain is most likely linked. A year ago I went on a juicing detox and since have had an incredibly healthy diet, juicing every day, salads etc etc, also the gym 2 or 3 times a week. I am just not feeling right and am putting on weight which is crazy when you look at my diet. Before the detox my hair started falling out and i felt generally rubbish. With the diet this has improved but I think (and feel) that even with this super healthy diet my body is just struggling with something beyond its control? Our bodies are so subtle and I do think the coil may be causing problems. I am going to the doctor today to ask to have it removed...will keep in touch with progress.

foreverondiet Mon 05-Mar-12 11:42:23

Janiemp Its easy to blame the mirena - I have lost 4 stone since I got mine - through diet and exercise.

It could be that the juicing diet isn't in fact that healthy as there is loads of fruit sugar (eat the fruit not the juice IMO)...

duchesse Mon 05-Mar-12 11:52:19

I had the coil put in when I was 32. Within a couple of months I had gained 1 stone despite changing nothing about my diet or levels of exercise. My personality changed- I became fearful and anxious and lost the ability to read maps- seriously, it was ridiculous, I had to start turning the map round to visualise which direction to go. I had been very good at spatial awareness type things before.

I can honestly say that they only good things about having the Mierna for me were not getting pregnant and having no periods for the time I had it in.

When I had it removed 3.5 years later, my thyroid packed in, and I put on another stone in a MONTH! I have never despite exercising and eating moderately managed to lose these 2 stone again. I was 9 stone exactly for most of adult life until I had that bloody thing put in. I would happy to be below 10 stone now, and haven't been for 10 years.

duchesse Mon 05-Mar-12 11:53:27

FGS there is just the same amount of "fruit sugars" in fresh juice as in the fruit!! Maybe even a little less as you'll have left some behind in the pulp.

foreverondiet Mon 05-Mar-12 12:10:08

Yes, but eating with the fibre (pulp) helps stabilise blood sugars, which means less insulin and less fat storage. And much easier to drink 4 oranges worth of juice, harder to eat 4 whole oranges.

My thyroid packed in after coming off the combined pill after 5 years .... should I blame the pill? I just think now that the pill was masking the symptoms but I had it for years.

Janiemp Mon 05-Mar-12 13:05:43

Drinking fresh juice is not going to put on weight! I have just been to docs and was weighed and was horrified to find I am 70 kg. My normal weight is 60-64kg. I just know this is not right. Anyway, I have had the mirena removed so will keep you all posted on what happens and if I feel/have any changes. I am feeling very relieved at the moment although only had it taken out this morning!

foreverondiet Mon 05-Mar-12 22:33:36

Whilst I agree mirena is not suitable for everyone, and that some people will get side effects from it etc etc drinking fruit juice really can make you put on weight due to the fruit sugars and the impact of the sugar on blood sugar and insulin levels.

Good luck with your weight loss.

holster08 Wed 07-Mar-12 19:30:24

Hi,ive had the mirena coil for 4 years now since having my little girl,lately i have had some problems,infections,migranes and lack of sex drive and weight gain.The doctor wont let me remove it yet,says i need to consider other options first,i have read on here it can lead to these problems but the doc says no!!!Im so frustrated,i want to know if im going mad but i cannot get my weight down without eating about 800 calories a day and i just feel rubbish.Im fed up with feeling like this,the migranes are awful as i have 4 kids and work and i cant cope much longer.http://www.mumsnet.com/te/3.gif.Can anyone tell me if they too have any of these symptons,im thinking of going back and demanding i have it removed!http://www.mumsnet.com/te/6.gif

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Wed 07-Mar-12 20:44:27

If you want it out, tell them to take it out, holster. It's your body; they can't force you to keep it in confused.

I know doctors have a real problem with it. I know my own body, as I am sure most women do...I find it very insulting when people say you are imagining it/blaming it on the Mirena.

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Wed 07-Mar-12 20:45:00

And besides, 4 years is long enough...the lifespan of it is 5 years, isn't it?

lilmax Thu 31-May-12 21:52:00

Had Mirena coil fitted 3 weeks ago and almost immediately i started itching over the trunk of my body, my face started to get spotty and i bloated. I know it is early days and mabe i should give it more time but i think in my case the cure is worse than the symptoms were. Why dont they give you the information leaflet before you have it fitted.

mindgone Tue 12-Jun-12 16:06:21

My third Mirena coil is due to be changed, but I am really scared because I am so used to it, after 15 years with one! Have always battled with my weight since pre-Mirena days, but my sex drive could really do with a boost! Am a bit woossy and scared of periods after SO long. Can anyone reassure me with tales of how they got on after Mirena please.

Rozzie66 Wed 20-Jun-12 11:54:27

I had the Mirena coil fitted in Oct 11. I have never even thought about weight issues up until them because of my disposition - please don't switch off (!) this is important. I have gained just under a stone in weight, of which some was needed, which is an utter shock to me. at first I was thrilled but don't know how to control it, and now none of my clothes fit!! The reason i'm posting this is to say I am walking proof that Mirena definitely changes your metabolism somehow. It's not just the appetite, as I've never had a massive appetite, it's the fact I have to think now about what I'm eating which I've never done before (I'm now 46), even after having 3 children and never keeping an ounce of babyfat - and I genuinely mean it when is say I never attempted to lose it, it just came off. Now though, after the Mirena, it is all coming back with vengeance! But only since I had the coil fitted. Mind you, I'm so very relieved I don't get periods at all, no spotting, and no breast tenderness, so hey, I don't think I can complain. I do wonder what effect those hormones are having on my system though!

mindgone Thu 21-Jun-12 22:51:25

Weird!! Like you say though, Rozzie, not having periods is sooo nice! grin

KoolKestrel Sun 01-Jul-12 09:08:02

What a relief it is to find others with the same issues as me smile I had my coil put in June 2011. I had it taken out June this year. If I had known how much weight I would put on, I would never have had it put in. I've put on over a stone, not changed my eating and I'm a gardener (so I have a physical job). I have kept a diary of events. My periods stopped in November 2011, and that is when the weight started to increase. Before contraception, I had a 28 cycle. As part of PMT (about 5 days before my period) I always put on weight, and then lost it again when the period finished. With the coil in, it was constant feeling of PMT weight gain. I felt it in all the ususal places, including the thighs and had to get clothes a size bigger. I had it removed 3 weeks ago, and I'm hoping with the periods I'm having now, that my correct weight wil return. My friend, who recommentd the coil, never put on weight before her periods, and she hasn't put weight on with the coil. Maybe, those who are prone to PMT weight gain, can expect weight gain on the coil, and possibly other hormonal contraceptives. Just before the Dr took my coil out, she said "you know you are going to get your periods back?" I said, "I don't care, I just want my body back" !!!

Rozzie66 Sun 01-Jul-12 13:33:52

I love that sentiment Koolkestrel! I would love my body back, though it has to be said, I did get the Mirena to limit my periods due to a severe anemia problem. I know have so much more energy - even with a spare tyre to lug around! Oh and I do have breasts which I have never done before! It is such a pain having to choose one thing over another though. It's fascinating the comment of premenstrual weight gain. I do remember that, as you say, for a few days before. I presumed it was purely water, which it could have been. I do feel permanently bloated. I did have a period a couple of weeks ago, the first proper one since having the coil fitted, and I lost about 5 lbs almost overnight. I think I may get to a point when I too will want my body back, but for now, a bit of energy makes me feel young (if not podgy) again!

Mothershipdown Tue 10-Jul-12 15:58:28

Hello Girls, I have read many of the stories in this thread and think can relate to most of the experiences that many of you have been complaining of although I'm a lot older than most of you here. I currently have a Mirena fitted and this is my second one since I hit the perimenopause at 45.
I was experiencing heavy and prolonged bleeding at intervals of only 10 days and occasionally episodes of severe cramps of menstrual type pain often not associated with heavy bleeding, in fact, quite the opposite. This was all getting too much and my GP offered me a Mirena coil as a way of regulating this. I had the coil fitted and (after 18mths of spotting and brown discharge) things settled. Over that time I gained 2 dress sizes, I was miserable, moody, unsociable, 'headachy' and tired. I did not put these two things together and attributed my situation to many other things; such as, my age, my demanding job, my general inactivity outside of work, my children growing up and flying the nest, being in a boring marriage and questioning my love for my husband.

In 2008 (aged 47) I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I had a double mastectomy and chemotherapy. The chemo produced a chemical menopause from which I had no hope of recovery thus tipping me into a natural menopause as would be expected at my age as I am now 51. My recovery from all the chemo and reconstructive surgery involved a complete re-evaluation of my life and I took this opportunity to diet and exercise on a daily basis and lost over 3st in weight. Since I was lucky in the respect that my cancer was not hormone or genetically linked, I was told it would be safe for me to take HRT as I complained bitterly about lack of sex drive amongst the many other menopausal symptoms. The oestrogen HRT was good and helped a great deal with the hot fluses and sweating episodes and then, after a while, I talked to my GP about getting my Mirena renewed as part of my HRT since I reasoned that the one I had had in situ for the past 4yrs was probably running out of hormones and yes, my sex drive was still poor. She agreed and a year or so ago I had a new one put it......guess what? I have gained weight, I have spotty, unpredictable skin, I have headaches and migraines, backache, lethargy, moodiness, occasionally feel tearful and unreasonable angry over something small, unsocial and frankly, can hardly be bothered with sex anyway so what's the point? I stopped taking the oestrogens about 7 months ago because I was fed up with struggling with all the effects, completely forgetting that I still had the Mirena inside me. Stopping the oestrogen did not result in me getting the hot flushes back, I have had no further such symptoms thus I am concluding that I am now post menopausal.
I have my suspicions that the Mirena was responsible for my getting breast cancer but this is something I will never know or be able to prove. I'm just grateful to be here, thank Goodness for the NHS!

Now I have developed an ovarian cyst, common for ladies of my age yes, but my mum died from ovarian cancer so I'm having my ovaries removed soon. My Gyno doc says I don't need my mirena any more and he will remove it when he operates. Guess what girls, after reading your stories, I'm not going to wait another moment and it's coming out tomorrow!

I am hoping that this will result in positive effects for me and that I will feel better and not worse for my actions.
Good luck to all of you out there.

Mollydoggerson Tue 10-Jul-12 16:12:31

I got mine out about a six weeks ago. I was expecting a heavy bleed afterwards, it never happened. After taking it out I had what might have been a period, moderate for about 2 days and then spotting for 2 days.

A month later I had a normal (relatively light) period, however I did become a little tearful during that time (hasn't happened since I put it in).

My sex drive is coming back, my skin is still a bit spotty, BUT most importantly I feel I have a little more motivation and drive and am more upbeat and positive.

Mothershipdown Thu 12-Jul-12 07:17:13

Well, it's out! Didn't hurt a bit when it was removed either. Not feeling dramatically different but slept well and feeling less bleary this morning. No bleeding, spotting or cramps but I'm not really expecting any of that. Let's hope it's the start of and upward trend smile

lily070 Mon 29-Oct-12 07:30:13

Im so glad I found this.
I had the coil fitted in 2006. I had lost a lot of weight, initially due to diet and then due to stress, and was feeling pretty good about how I looked. I went to have to coil fitted for heavy periods, and the nurse was unable to fit it, as she found a large polyp on my cervix which was probably causing the problem. Was referred to consultant and told he would remove it in Theatre. I said that if the polyp was the cause then I wouldnt need the coil, but he said he would fit it anyway.
After the fitting I had horrible hip pain, and started to have episodes of low mood before my period. Spoke with consultantwho said a few women had reported it and offered an antidepressant (Im a psychiatric nurse) I refused. The episodes got worse, was like being in a black hole, and I eventually got to the point that I was unable to see a future during the episode, which scared me a bit. So I started the antidepressant.
Periods stopped, mood settled a bit, weight gain started. Since 2007 I have put on between 4-5 stone!!! Very effective contraception, I wouldnt strip off in front of anyone! I have tried every diet known to man. Would lose a couple of pounds in the first week and then stop, no matter what I do. When I stopped the diets, I would gain what I had lost and more! Am currently having hypnosis, lost in the first week and then nothing. Im eating approx 1000 cal a day and still not losing.
So today am making an appt to have this monsterous thing removed. Will let you know how it goes.

lily070 Mon 29-Oct-12 07:33:06

I forgot to list the other symptoms. I still have a pain in my right hip, and also an itchy back, that I cant reach. I can sometimes be found rubbing my back on a door frame, cos its the only way the I can reach it. With the weight gain and door frame rubbing, I look like baloo from jungle book!

calyer8 Sun 04-Nov-12 22:13:18

Since i've had my coil I've put on almost 3 stone, I've got no energy or sex drive,I'm depressed ...perhaps because of the symptoms or because of the coil! I have dry skin and more facial hair and my tummy is bloated. I'm going to have it removed soon and will see if there is a difference! Will keep you posted!

lily070 Thu 08-Nov-12 15:39:38

Im having mine out this evening, so will update in a week or so.

hi, ive had the coil in for 2and a half years now due to irregular bleeds which was due to a polyp and was adviced to have the coil. i had to go to Spire health hospital as i thought they maybe able to remove the polyp.. apparently it was too tough to remove so the coilk was fitted. i now bleed between 10-12 days per month, my stomach is bloated and the weight gain of 1 and a half stone. i feel huge and almost a size 16 in everything i wear. the doctors advice me to ' go with it' as the pill has more hormone along with the implant and injection. so apparently im better off with coil. the copper coil was ruled out as it can be painful. the pressure now that everyone has to be a certain weight and a healthy BMI i hate feeling im being judged by my weight and size

Laur3 Mon 01-Apr-13 17:12:38

I had the mirena put in 8 weeks ago. I had it in during a laparoscopy & other gynae procedures. Thought it would be the answer to all my prayers for contraception reasons. Husband & I don't want anymore children. I've had 3 sections and my womb had become attached to my bowl due to the sticky adhesions from the c-sec scar tissue hence gynae procedures being carried out 8 weeks ago. Anyways I'm posting this as after just a shirt amount of time I've gained about 4lb in weight, I'm only 5ft and am feeling really yuck. I couldn't understand why this was happening but after standing on the scales yesterday and googling today it's dawned on me that it is the coil, before my weight gain starts to creep on and on and on I've decided to call GP tomorrow to have a chat. I'm annoyed as consultant didn't mention any side affects whatsoever to me but I'm determined to get it out after chatting to my sister (just had hers removed as didn't suit her) plus reading all these stories I'm just not going to "give it time etc" I'm also feeling a bit snappy and irritated and feel that everything I'm feeling now is just going to escalate and get worse. In 5 years time I'm not prepared to be 3 or 4 or more stone overweight just to ease my contraception worries. My husband will have to have the snip.

When I had my 6 week check the nurse asked if I had had any problems & didn't mention weight gain, I was just delighted that my bleeding was non existent BUT my boobs are SO painful a few days before the very light spotting starts. Like pregnancy boobs. Very very painful. On examination to check threads she discovered I have a tilted womb and that the coil is very high up, she doubted I would ever have found them myself (not that I wanted to try....) so now I'm a bit wary of the removal as I reckon the GP (our GP does the removal and insertion, not the nurse) will have a bit of a problem trying to take it out. Intact the thought of it makes me tightly cross my legs.....:-( will update on here if anyone like me is experiencing the same downsides to this so called "miraculous little device" for those it suits it really it just that but I've got a sinking feeling its just not for me.

tomisa Wed 01-May-13 00:36:04

ive had the marina coil fitted now for the second time and first time round i was 25 when i got it in i had it for 5 years although there was a signifigate amount of weight gain i didnt blame the coil but i put on at least 6 stone and tried to no avail of looseing it . i got the marina out at 30 and got the ordinary coil in id that in for 11 years i lost 5 stone in the past 4 years and was doing really great untill i had the marina fitted in june last year and iv gained 32 pounds since and iv tried everything to loose it iv even tried slimming tablets of all kinds but i really cant loose it but in saying that im constantly hungry and cant stop eating and yes i do blame the marina for this now that im seeing other reviews on it . im making an appointment to get it taken out . im now 42 and having the experience of these years with both coils id recommend getting it out as there is a deffinate pattern here. good luck. i will keep you posted on my progress over the next few months ,hope this helps

ElenorRigby Wed 30-Oct-13 06:00:50

Bumping this thread as I think the content is really important!! shock
Thanks to all the ladies above for sharing their stories!

I had a Mirena fitted a few months after giving birth to DD who is now 6.
I was 12 stone after having DD which I lost quite easily at first. I went from size 16-18 to size 12 in about 3 months. I then had the mirena fitted for contraception purposes.
My weight shot back up and Ive sat around size 16-18 for the last few years. I had tried dieting over the years but found it really difficult even a pound. I have had a huge tum which makes me look pregnant.
I thought my metabolism was shot and I was doomed to be fat and frumpy.

I had the thing out 2 days ago. Already my stomach and boobs have changed shape. Also my libido has come back which was v low.

I will post up any weight loss when it happens!

sara731 Sat 08-Feb-14 20:32:27

Hi, as many of you experienced the weight gain becausr of minera, I can tell you that it happened to me too. But even if I removed 6months ago, the weight did no shift back, infact though I am always on diet and going to the gym the weight is fixed to an unhealthy 83 kg! I haven't back my periods and I keep suffering hot flush. I am so frustrated. What should I do? I am young yet since I am just 40. Doctor sais it is not minera's faut an the rest is fine... ot is just me

gooshi13 Thu 20-Mar-14 14:42:19

I am 33 year old mum with 2 children. I had mirena put in a year ago. Straight after i started noticing weight gain within a few weeks i put on 3 kilos. I was thinking it maybe my eating that causing it,so i started watching my diet and cycling but the weight crept on despite all my efforts. I went from being 68 kilos to a massive 79! Also i had started lactating and having cravings but the pregnancy tests were negative. Finally i had mirena removed 25/02/2014 and after a week had my first period with massive blood clots and a heavy flow.Still waiting for lactating to stop and hopefully loose the extra weight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now