I've just had a gastric band fitted

(110 Posts)
WikiSpeaksagain Sun 10-Apr-11 13:44:52

(Back after a break)

That's it really - had op on Friday. Home yesterday.

Still can't believe I've done it.

If anyone wants to know more then come and talk to me about it.

babybarrister Thu 11-Sep-14 22:10:27

Are those of you who had a band done still happy with it a couple of years on?

Poppeto111 Fri 14-Mar-14 21:14:18

Hi I have been for a gastric. Band consultation today did it work for you? I'm 24 and 5ft7 20 stone on thyroxine but feel my only hope is surgery

birchykel Sat 03-Aug-13 22:24:11

Wow well done. I would have it done if I could afford it. That's a lot of money. Do u mind me asking if u had to pay for it all at once? Guess u wld have to. Im also addicted to food but no one takes that seriously everyone laughs and says aren't we all. Drives me mad cos I actually am. I think about it all the time, and I plan for when hubby is going out so I can get my biscuits out or choc bar. Its not good. I can't exercise either as had major back surgery three months ago and now im worse than ever with eating crap!

Hope it works for u.x

Concentrateonthegood Sun 28-Jul-13 00:44:56

I had a gastric sleeve in may. Over three stone down. Just want to lose another couple and I think ill be done. Started my journey at over 17 stone although have been as high as almost 20, years ago. Best thing I've ever done. Wasn't much more cost than a band but more of a permanent solution although I believe the new stomach sleeve can also be stretched if you abuse the rules. What it's done for me is to reduce my dependence on medication, joint problems all cleared up and depression seems to have gone. Most people have said to me that I wasn't big enough for such a drastic operation but a lifelong problem for me and with the sleeve, i shouldn't need revision surgery as may be required with bands.

I too wish I could have lost the weight without resorting to the cost and risk of surgery but I had tried and failed for 25 years and was in a circle of self loathing, which made the depression worse, which made the comfort eating worse. My surgeon says this isn't simply an eat less, move more solution. It's complicated! I like myself a little more these days.....

Annabslim Mon 01-Jul-13 12:10:55

Hi I'm booked to have a gastric band on 06/08/13 .....does anyone have any advice or had it done recently and can chat to me about it .please !!!!!l

ASillyPhaseIAmGoingThrough Thu 28-Jun-12 21:04:44

Hi, this thread was linked elsewhere on mn. I am going to be banded next week.

How are you all getting on?

smackapacca Fri 30-Mar-12 23:07:35

Hello again everyone.

I'm back here - ready to chat with any other bandsters (or people thinking about it/or just interested)

I had another fill today.

I just love feeling full despite not really eating.

Allice Sun 26-Feb-12 20:42:39

Have just found this thread.

Just wanted to say hello, I too have a band, I've had it for almost 2 years and have lost 4 and a half stone, still need to loose another couple.
My losses have been quite slow, largely for the same reason as you, chocolate will always go through the band!

I don't regret my decision for 1 minute, was the best thing I ever did. Have gone from 18.7 stone (20 at heaviest) to 13st 11, I'm about 5ft6.

Ettiketti Mon 20-Feb-12 06:39:03

I've just found this thread, well done smackapacca and everyone else on going thru with this and having great losses.eandz have you had any advice as to why you're not losing?

I had a bypass, personally, almost 15mths ago. It's totally changed my life and still every day I have people either stunned that I ever weighed 23stone, or gobsmacked at how slim I am now, depending on whether or not they knew me before surgery grin
smackapacca I'm so sorry for your loss, I hope your friends have lots of support.

smackapacca Thu 16-Feb-12 19:39:34

Thanks all. Had a good chat and cry on bereavement board the other night. Just for clarity it's a friend's toddler who has died. It was completely out of the blue. Really hard to concentrate right now.

As for the band - since my adjustment I feel good. Appetite much reduced so I feel fuller between meals. I was overfilled in the summer (completely my fault for lying about how well I could swallow the given water hmm) It was awful and funny at the same time. I had it done on the Friday, and I couldn't eat anything solid over that weekend. I was 'defilled' on the Monday. I found great support from 'my team'.

eandz Wed 15-Feb-12 22:01:49

smacka just read what you wrote. I'm sorry to hear your sad news sad please let us know if there is anything we can do to support you.

TheMouseRanUpTheClock Tue 14-Feb-12 23:32:15

So sorry to hear of your loss.

jaquelinehyde Tue 14-Feb-12 23:08:45

Smackapacca - so sorry to hear of your loss today, I hope that everything is ok with you, be kind to yourself.

My comment about private surgery comes from knowing many, many, many people who have had wls privately and are now all struggling to lose the weight that should have come off much easier if the original issues had been addressed prior to the op. I speak as someone who had the op on the NHS and I went through 7 months of therapy, councilling sessions, group work sessions, dietician appointments. You name it I had it and it has worked well for me so far, not like most people I know who had the op privately.

I suppose the only pre-condition to private surgery is that you can safely go through the op (succeed at pre op diet etc) and that you have the means to finance the op. On the NHS (and rightly so) the conditions to having the op are much tighter and much more is expected of you, in my experience anyway.

Good luck to everyone, keep up the good work.

eandz Tue 14-Feb-12 22:35:32

sorry* only two stones to lose before, now three.

smackapacca Tue 14-Feb-12 22:23:29

I'm stepping back a bit from this thread as life has changed somewhat today and I can't think straight (bereavement).

I would like to just say my private op was nothing but amazing and definitely not a profit making enterprise. I work for the NHS and feel passionate about it, but my experience of private has been all good.

shineoncrazydiamante Tue 14-Feb-12 22:13:01

Over filled means that they have pumped the band too full and the restriction around your stomach too tight, so eating anything and keeping it down can become near impossible.

toffeetip Tue 14-Feb-12 21:02:57

What does it mean to be overfilled?

eandz Tue 14-Feb-12 17:28:46

at the time I only had three stones to lose. now i have 3 stone to lose.

jaquelinehyde Tue 14-Feb-12 10:32:58

I think this highlights the main problem with private surgery, sadly it's all about the money and the steps that should be taken before surgery are often not put in place and so the real issues a person with food are never addressed and so set the person being operated on (who is already utterly miserable and desperate for a fix) up for failure sad angry

I had my surgery (sleeve not band) in August, so approximately 6months ago and so far have lost 6stone and I can honestly say that if I had just had surgery it would have never worked, it was all the work that was done for months beforehand that has helped me adjust to a new lifestyle. I have slipped over the last 3-4 weeks and just remained the same and when I look at my food habits it is very clear that I am slipping back into my old ways and cheating the op and it is so easily done. I think we all learn very quickly that the op is no quick fix.

Good luck everyone, lets keep each other updated.

TheMouseRanUpTheClock Tue 14-Feb-12 00:17:30

Did you have much to loose in the first place?

eandz Tue 14-Feb-12 00:10:11

well, i just haven't.

twice though, i've been overfilled and have had to had aspirations.

also, because before I had my band, I would starve to maintain my weight. (i can't control my eating, I eat healthy; I just can't control my quantities) when I had the band put in (privately) I was told I had to eat three meals a day (whereas normally I ate a moderate meal at the end of the day).

Hopefully, at my next adjustment I'll get more restriction.

TheMouseRanUpTheClock Tue 14-Feb-12 00:03:07

Why do you think you lost no weight yet?

eandz Mon 13-Feb-12 23:34:13

i had mine put in in Aug 2010. I haven't lost any weight. sad

smackapacca Mon 13-Feb-12 19:52:13

Yes I'm on WLS - got brilliant advice on the band before going ahead with it.

My adjustment on Friday has left me full after a small portion. There was loads of chocolate around work today but I was pretty good. I had a few bits but not my normal binge. I was genuinely not craving it - which is good. Giving it up though? Never!

jaquelinehyde Mon 13-Feb-12 11:57:40

Hi ladies just thought I would share this with you here

If you haven't done so already join up and use the forum, the support is great and the information available is everything you need to make a decision.

Post op it is just as helpful, loads of us kid ourselves that the op will be the magic wand and life will be great after it but generally it isn't. Old habits are still there and it is very easy to give into them and kid yourself that you are doing really well and everything will be fine but it wont, the weight will come back on. WLSinfo has loads of people on it private patients, NHS patients, band, sleeve and bypass some have lost hundreds of pounds others are struggling and have only lost a few.

Keep up the good work and stop eating the chocolate grin I am giving up chocolate as of tomorrow for 9 weeks (until I go to see family down south) feel free to join me doing that if you want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now