Weightwatchers ProPoints Plan

(1001 Posts)

I've been following WW online for a few years on and off and today my account has changed to the new ProPoints plan. I haven't yet looked into this properly but was wondering if anyone else knew much about it?

I know there is another thread where someone (sorry can't remember who) was testing the new plan, has it been easy to follow & does it work?

I've never used WW but read this article about it in the DM the other day.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 08-Nov-10 22:21:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OmicronPersei8 Mon 08-Nov-10 22:24:17

Ooh, this sounds interesting. I'd love to lose some weight, I've done WW before but had to give up earlier in the year due to childcare issues. I find it really hard to do without the weekly weigh-ins. Maybe I'll give it another go and find another group with a more convenient meeting time.

ClaireDeLoon Mon 08-Nov-10 22:27:30

I am tempted to restart it with this new plan too.

I feel at a bit of a loss at the mo at the thought of learning how many points all my usual foods now are but I do like that fruit is now free. I struggle to eat enough fruit and this would definitely encourage me to eat more. If it's as good as the article YourCall linked to says it is I might finally get my weight down before Christmas smile

I went tonight and have to say the new system seems brilliant, I agree with Stewie that the wheel is shite. I bought the delxue pack for £19.99 which includes the calculator, eat out book, shop book, tracker book, highlighter pen and tape measure. The calculator is usually £13 on it's own so well worth it plus there's a voucher book which includes a £5 off the scales voucher. I really think this new ProPoints system is the way to forward, I can see excellent results coming from it!

After an initial wobble at everything looking different on the website I'm tentatively feeling encouraged now. Just need to find my missing resolve now!

froot Mon 08-Nov-10 22:55:53

I have just received my propoints info. I have spent half an hour reading it through and already I have come across a huge whopping glaring error: In the new propoints pocket guide it states that a lamb rogon josh is 19 points and a lamb passanda 15 points. However in the Eat Out guide, a lamb rogon josh is 29 points and a lamb pasanda 34 !!!!! Anyone know which is right? (planning ahead for the weekend!)

I make my own breakfast bars (since they stopped doing thei ww ones in the purple boxes) and it took me ages to work out the points for the recipe.

Also can anyone confirm for me that it's total fat used for calculating now not just saturated fat? And total carbs?

Thanks

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 08-Nov-10 22:58:01

It's fibre, protein, total fat & total carbs to work out the points now.

dearprudence Mon 08-Nov-10 23:02:09

<watching with interest>

froot Mon 08-Nov-10 23:15:32

Ok thanks I cant get to grips with the fibre bit on the wheel.....

Re the currries, they are both meant to be eating out so restaurant /takeaway fare so should not have different values. The pilau rice says 16 in both books, but prawn Biriani is 14 in the pocket book and 29 in the eating out book.

Common sense tells me to stick with a king prawn tandoori, but it's going to be really annoying if other things in the books are wrong... I have emailed ww so will see what they say and report back!

I got the new info at my meeting tonight and im looking forward to starting it tomorrow. I was on the website this morning (Eager beaver here lol) and was totally confused! But having all the info now has calmed me a bit... It'll just take some time getting used to it. There's been a lot of negativity on the ww website which I cant understand at all. I have faith that they wouldnt make this drastic change if it didnt work smile

glasjam Mon 08-Nov-10 23:45:17

Great! At last I can throw away all my old WW Eating Out Guides, Points Calculators, Shopping Guides etc. Have been low carbing for a while now but haven't wanted to chuck away all the stuff I've invested in "just in case". Will they be republishing their most recent recipe books with the readjusted points values? I suppose it's a really good way of getting people to fork out for all the new publications.

I've revisited WW several times over the past 8 years but can't see me doing it again. Quite liberating really!

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 09-Nov-10 07:03:13

froot Tue 09-Nov-10 07:24:26

I think the old points system was a complete nightmare for the first 2 weeks then easy peasy and I reckon this will be the same - easy once you're in the swing of it. And it does make more sense nutritionally. As long as the ruddy values in the books are right!!

frangipan Tue 09-Nov-10 09:05:35

I joined the ww online programme yesterday but I'm finding it a bit of a nightmare to navigate my way around and find the info on pro points values. I find it difficult to get to meetings due to my DH work pattern, so I guess I'm asking if there are any mumsnetters in the midlands who go to meetings who could get me one of the deluxe packs if I sent them a cheque and postage? or do you think I could just pop along to a meeting for 5 minutes just to purchase a kit?

II'm in the right mind set to try and shed this excess weight so hoping this new plan works!

NewMumFifi Tue 09-Nov-10 09:41:19

It sounds very interesting - have done WW before but could do with something different. My baby is only 4 weeks old so have excuse to keep eating cake for a while because I think you're meant to wait til 6 weeks...

bigTillyMint Tue 09-Nov-10 12:24:47

I went to my meeting last night and everybody was pretty confused by the wheel - it is crap! So you might need to fork out £7.95 for the calculator, which didn't go down too well.

Aparently it is a "soft launch" just now, but they will have a big launch in Jan and there might be more deals then, but that will be too late if you want to get started now!

The whole zero points thing for fruit and veg is pretty confusing - we were told to eat fruit "in moderation" but what does that exactly mean? I think it relies on you being very careful about only eating when you are hungry and to stop when you are full. Which is the bit I find the most difficult blush

GettingOn Tue 09-Nov-10 12:59:00

Are bananas/avocados also free?

I read the DM article and I think it looks a good plan.

bigTillyMint Tue 09-Nov-10 13:01:04

Bananas are, but avo's aren't - I remember something about 4 propoints. but that might be just for a portion?!

fumblemummy Tue 09-Nov-10 13:05:31

For online users the calculator is 12 quid.

And as the original tracker is now gone cant track on i-phone.

Bit annoying sine I quite literally rejoined 1 week ago hoping to use the old kit/knowledge I already have and was not warned at all!

Amanderrr Tue 09-Nov-10 13:58:59

DP re-joined WW last night after giving up a year or so ago and came home with all the info and a pro points calculator.

I don't need to lose lots of weight (9st 4lbs this morning. Happier at just under 9st though.) but would love to lose half a stone painlessly in time for Christmas so I'm going to give it a go starting today.

Would anyone else like to keep me company on here using the new WW pro points system?

Stats today:

Height ~ 5'4".
Weight ~ 9st 4lbs.
Goal ~ 8st 10lbs.
PPs daily allowance ~ 29.

The only thing that's confusing me a bit so far is that in the booklet some of the ProPoints values differ to the online values so not sure which one to go with!

The fruit thing, you could eat say 1, maybe 2/3 bananas a day but really any more then that and you would have to start pointing them as with anything you can have too much of something. I guess moderation means a few a day as opposed to 12?!

This thread is not accepting new messages.