Coroners Court

(8 Posts)
tinkerbell141 Wed 18-May-16 13:20:21

After my siblings suicide we have been advised that the inquest will be in August - does anyone have experience of inquests? Are the family allowed to ask questions? Is it best not to go as to upsetting?

My mum is really struggling and has barely left the house since but is adamant that she is attending - I have explained to her that the Coroner won't be able to tell us the reasons why (no note left) but tbh I'm not sure what happens at the hearings.

Thanks for reading xx

I'm so sorry for your loss. My BIL committed suicide 3 year ago now and I went to his inquest. Yes, they will go throught the whole series of events and answer any questions you may have if they can. The coroner in our case was very respectful and kind, we just all sat round a table, it was over in about 15 minutes,

scarletthollie5 Wed 18-May-16 17:25:10

Sorry for. Your loss . My daughter passed suddenly July 2014. Her inquest was May 2015. It was held in a room similar to a magistrates court , we had approached the coroner prior to see if we could ask questions - we could and did. For us it raised more questions than answers. A note of warning the local press are allowed to attend as is anyone really . The press did ask for comment from us which we refused so they gave a practically verbatim report of the hearing - highlighting the main issue. I hope it goes well on the day .

cocochanel21 Wed 18-May-16 17:51:30

Sorry for your lossflowers.

When my dd died she had a inquest. Before the inquest we met with the coroner's officer our family liaison officer was also there. He explained what would happen in court,who would be there. We asked for a pre inquest disclosure so we had a copy of all the paperwork before the inquest so we knew roughly what was going to be discussed.
In dds case I knew beforehand that they were going to talk to the gentleman who found her. I didn't and couldn't bring myself to hear this so I was giving permission to leave at that point.

It was all done in about 1hour. The coroner was very respectful and compassionate towards us. Like your mum I was also adamant that I was going to attend DH didn't want me to go as he knew that I would get upset. I did get upset but I am also glad that I attended not that I learned anything that I didn't already know.

Btw I'm in Scotland don't know in coroner's court in different elsewhere in the UK.

Babyroobs Mon 23-May-16 15:36:35

We had to wait a long time for a proper inquest into my mum's death ( It was about 15 months after she died). In the interim, I wrote to the coroner expressing concerns and he did write back answering my questions. A coroners court is just to ascertain how the death occurred, it is not to apportion blame although the coroner can make recommendations. I wasn't very happy with the way the inquest went, I felt that the coroner didn't really listen to our concerns on the day and that the legal representation that we had was pretty rubbish. I wish now I had complained but at the time was in no state to take thngs furthur. I'm sorry you are going through this.

dollylucy Mon 30-May-16 22:53:45

I think they are there to determine the who, where and how, not the why.

I found the coroner very considerate.
I was asked to give evidence, then told I didn't have to.
I said I would answer any questions if it would help. We could ask anything we wanted.
It was a bit daunting, but definitely made more tolerable by the consideration of the coroner.
There was no-one in there but us- and a local reporter, who reported the verdict in local paper, but then it was picked up by other papers.

I think if someone wants to go- many people want all the details, I think I would, as a parent- you should support them.
But it can be quite bad, listening to medical details and cause of death etc.

Mrsmorton Mon 30-May-16 22:59:33

Sorry for your loss OP. IME, the coroner may not record a suicide verdict so that's something you may need to be prepared for. Clearly circumstances vary hugely but I agree that coroners are by and large excellent at helping through this process. flowers

Perpetualstateofchaos Wed 08-Jun-16 00:23:14

I attended the inquest into my brothers death it was 10 months after his death. We were talked through what would happen bg our FLO. The coroner was lovely after every persons evidence she asked if my family had any questions. Ours was held in one of the court rooms ato the local magistrates office. Just be aware of they haven't got all the details they require then the inquest may be adjourned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now