My Bampy won't live much longer? Help, please.

(4 Posts)
SergeantJarhead Fri 28-Feb-14 22:55:24

Hello. I just need some advice really on bereavement. I'm a sort-of only child, I've married into a very loving and loyal family and I think of them all as blood kin. My 'grandfather' is beginning to put his life in order as he thinks he wont live much longer, he's had heart problems for a very long time and just has no energy anymore and doctors don't do anything for him. I've lost just two people that I loved (I've been quite lucky, really?) and I didn't cope then, I can't cope now. I love the old fella, he treats me like a granddaughter, like blood family and I can't see how life is supposed to ever be the same. I have a son who is not yet a year old and I want him to grow up with his great grandfather. Am I being greedy?
I've mourned the passing of my biological Nan for almost ten years ... I don't know how to accept that my Bamp is giving up. I'm rambling, will someone please advise me??? Thanks.

(((Hugs)))

I'm so sorry sergeant sad

The only thing I can suggest is that you try to spend as much time with him as you can, making as many memories as you can with ds.

Before we lost my grandma I basically spent as much time with her as I could. She had been diagnosed with a benign brain tumour, and we had about 4/5 months before she had surgery. She didn't make it through. In that time we took her out to garden centres or just to for a drive, popped in for coffee and took cream cakes, cooked 2 Christmas dinners (October and Christmas Day!) and evening get together a in between, all sorts. I visited the hospital most mornings before she had surgery, and spent up to 48 hours straight there after surgery. All the nurses on the ward knew me as the granddaughter who cooked Christmas dinner. She told me that her grandmother, who was a professional cook in a large house, would have been proud of me blush

All you can do is make the most of the time you have. It may not be the end for your Bamp and it may well be that he's just feeling a bit under the weather. But all anyone can ever do is spend as much time with he ones we love as we can. Looking back I am so glad that I got the opportunity to spend time with her. I only wish I'd spent more time with her sad

Sorry for rambling, but I just thought that it might help hearing from someone who has been through it (ie a bereavement where there was some sort of "notice" iyswim) sad

SergeantJarhead Tue 04-Mar-14 22:50:27

Thank you Oh four, I really appreciate your advice xx

How are you doing? X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now