Registering death...

(3 Posts)
pudcat Wed 05-Feb-14 19:03:23

I went to register Mum's death today. I have to go to a town in county wher Mum died. Registrar said she couldn't do it. Shock horror. She said the dr who had signed the cert had ticked she had seen Mum after death but put she had last seen her alive 30th Dec more than 14 days ago. I told her that Mum had only been seen last week for a chest infection and that the cert says the dr signing must have seen the deceased either after death or not more than 14 days before. That means one or the other to me. But no she had to ring coroner in next city. Surprise surprise his day off. So now have to wait in for Coroner to ring me tomorrow and give his permission to register and than make another appointment at a different town on Saturday.

First time I have actually heard the phrase "It's more than my job's worth"
Rang funeral director who said he will ring dr and try and see what went wrong.
So more hassel. And does it matter? She was so ill and was 81. Can do without this.

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Wed 05-Feb-14 19:30:11

If the doctor signing the certificate had not seen the patient in the 14 days before the death, then it is correct that the death be referred to the Coroner.

If certifying doctor had seen the deceased then there would be no need to refer.

Doctors can sign in either circumstances, but coroner's required action is different depending on which box is ticked.

The verifying doctor really should have known this, and arranged for the doctor who had seen your DM to sign the certificate (there's eg BmA guidance on this).

pudcat Wed 05-Feb-14 19:37:52

Ok Thank you - so either / or does not mean one or the other. Ah well will what tomorrow brings It is just a lot of travelling to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now