Poem for ongoing grief

(9 Posts)
halfwayupthehill Tue 19-Nov-13 21:18:35

It is the anniversary of a dear friend's death and i would like to include a poem in my letter to her son who is still overwhelmed with grief. At the time i sent a few poems about immediate bereavement but now would like to find a poem that deals with how it never really gets easier as that is how he is feeling right now. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thank you.

ssd Wed 20-Nov-13 09:06:16

bumping for you, hope someone here knows of something suitable x

LoveAndDeath Wed 20-Nov-13 21:31:09

We fall to the earth like leaves
Lives as brief as footprints in snow
No words express the grief we feel
I feel I cannot let her go.
For she is everywhere.
Walking on the windswept beach
Talking in the sunlit square.
Next to me in the car
I see her sitting there.
At night she dreams me
and in the morning the sun does not rise.
My life is as thin as the wind
And I am done with counting stars.
She is gone, she is gone.
I am her sad music, and I play on, and on, and on.
(Roger McGough

halfwayupthehill Wed 20-Nov-13 22:33:28

Thank you love and death, that poem is lovely. Do you think it is appropriate for a mother-son or does it have romantic overtones?

LoveAndDeath Wed 20-Nov-13 23:52:31

I think of my daughter when I read it and it is also a favourite of another MNer who lost a daughter, so to me, it isn't romantic as such. I think it could apply to a mother, sister, lover or daughter.

everlong Thu 21-Nov-13 06:23:25

It's definitely suitable for a mother/son.
You are lovely to think of this sons on going grief and pain.

halfwayupthehill Thu 21-Nov-13 20:43:25

Sorry for your loss Love. The more i read the poem the more i think it is just right, especially as my friend came from a town famous for its music. Thank you for sharing.

halfwayupthehill Thu 21-Nov-13 20:46:10

Sorry for your loss Love. The more i read the poem the more i think it is just right, especially as my friend came from a town famous for its music. Thank you for sharing.

halfwayupthehill Thu 21-Nov-13 20:46:50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now