Flowers seem so pointless

(9 Posts)
LoveAndDeath Tue 12-Nov-13 10:16:09

After my daughter died, I did like the flowers people brought but when they died it was awful.
What some lovely MNers did for me was to buy some roses to plant. It is a lot better as at least the flowers live on and come back every year.

LilyTheSavage Mon 11-Nov-13 22:27:13

Thank you Loonytoonie. xx

I really appreciated the flowers we received when dd2 died. We had lots of beautiful bouquets and it was nice to look at something lovely even though we were in bits. I know everyone differs on this though.

Alexandra's Angel Gifts have some beautiful baby loss gifts. The angel comfort box is lovely

You sound a lovely friend

Loonytoonie Mon 11-Nov-13 18:34:21

Lily,
There are no words sad
I am truly sorry for your loss.

I am crying at the sheer injustice of it all.

LilyTheSavage Mon 11-Nov-13 16:43:44

Hi. I don't agree with everybody. My son (21) died very recently and I was touched to receive flowers from friends and I greatly appreciated the flowers at his funeral as we made it a big celebration of his life and the flowers made it so much more beautiful. My son was a tree surgeon and a few friends have dedicated trees in memorial woodlands to his memory (in several countries) and also have planted trees in his memory.

I would also say that your friend will need you even more a couple of months downline when a lot will forget that she is still grieving.

She's lucky to have a friend like you. Good luck..... and don't be afraid to cry with her and grieve with her.

Much love to you all. XXX

onepieceoflollipop Sun 10-Nov-13 22:16:48

Yes, definitely a card. Agree what others have said re flowers.
So sad for your friend.

christinarossetti Sun 10-Nov-13 22:11:58

I completely agree with you about the unhelpfulness of flowers - I absolutely hated receiving them when our daughter died.

I completely appreciated every single card that we received though.

scottishmummy Sat 09-Nov-13 12:29:38

How dreadful for your friend,she'll really need a pal.its hellish
I agree about the flowers,they too become symbolic of death too gloomy
I think a card genuinely written with honest sentiment and offer of listening is better

Loonytoonie Sat 09-Nov-13 11:39:30

A friend has just lost her baby boy. He was just days old when he died.

A group of friends have suggested sending flowers but I feel that flowers are such an empty gesture. I know they just want to reach out to her, but after my loss, I hated the flowers I was sent eventually, because it was just a matter of days before they died too sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now