Does anyone know how much the funeral grant is?

(4 Posts)
FourFlapjacksPlease Fri 08-Nov-13 14:31:40

My FIL died at the weekend and we are trying to arrange the funeral. He was on full benefits and his wife (not MIL, they were divorced) received carers allowance as she looked after him at home for the last few years of his life. He had no assets at all.

She is applying for the funeral grant but English is not her first language and as she went to apply on her own, she didn't really understand what was said to her and doesn't know how much she is likely to receive. She is currently saying she wants a burial here or repatriation of FIL's body to his home country. I have spoken to the undertakers and costs are huge for both these options (although repatriation is cheaper due to high costs of a burial plot in the UK) DH and his siblings cannot afford to fund an expensive funeral so I wondered if anyone could give me an idea of how much the government grant might be?

We are seeing her tomorrow to discuss plans and it would be so helpful to have a rough idea so that we can see if we are able to facilitate the kind of funeral she would like.

Thanks in advance!

SirChenjin Fri 08-Nov-13 14:33:57

Link to the Govt website on funeral grant here

Sorry to hear your sad news sad

FourFlapjacksPlease Fri 08-Nov-13 14:50:00

Thanks SirChenjin - I had a look on there but wasn't sure if the £700 quoted on there was the full amount? When my dad died he had a very simple funeral and it cost over £2000. If £700 is the full grant amount we would have to find the rest somehow which would be very hard.

It also didn't sound like repatriation would be covered which looks like it would be the most affordable option.

I am definitely getting DH and I a funeral payment plan so our DC's don't have to do this. Poor old DH is so upset and the last thing you want to do after a bereavement is get your calculator out!

SirChenjin Fri 08-Nov-13 15:02:50

Have a look at this - http://www.dwp.gov.uk/advisers/claimforms/sf200_print.pdf - it seems as if you can get more than £700

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now