Five years on. Should this be significant or...?

(3 Posts)
MissM Wed 16-Oct-13 09:55:53

Tomorrow, it will be five full years since my brother died. I feel like it should be a significant number - I have certainly grieved less intensely this year than in previous years, so does that mean I'm 'getting over' it? But today I feel really low and full of memories again. Yelled at my dd this morning over something ridiculously trivial and unimportant. So is five years significant? Has anyone else marked a five-year anniversary in any way, or is it just another year that the person you love and miss is not here?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 16-Oct-13 13:15:05

Personally nowadays I am more affected by birthdays and anniversaries loved ones would have celebrated. Up to and including the date they died I'm still inclined to sadness and reflection but over the years without forgetting them or minimising their loss, life has got easier. I don't feel I'm abandoning them but have learned to adapt if that makes sense.

Five years for you may signal turning a corner. Healing takes time, your own time. Find a way to mark it differently.

flowers to you for tomorrow.

MissM Wed 16-Oct-13 14:06:08

Thank you Donkeys, 'learning to adapt' does make sense. It's kind of you to respond.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now