Songs appropriate for children to sing at funerals?

(6 Posts)
20wkbaby Tue 24-Sep-13 09:34:52

Any ideas of songs appropriate for children to sing at a funeral (of their great-grandmother in this case). Preferably that would already be familiar to them as some are not old enough to read quickly on sight.

Something not too morbid please?

BlackberrySeason Tue 24-Sep-13 09:37:06

Hi baby, so sorry about your bereavement. What is the age range of the children and is this a church or non religious funeral?

StitchingMoss Tue 24-Sep-13 09:39:03

All things bright and beautiful is a popular choice.

20wkbaby Tue 24-Sep-13 12:34:41

The children range from 6 to 11 so the younger ones probably couldn't follow the words easily of a song they were not familiar with. It will be at a crematorium but hymns are not necessarily out.

Just wondered if someone could think laterally and come up with a children's song that had some additional meaning relevant to a funeral. I am thinking about bedtime songs maybe...

Thanks StitchingMoss - All Things Bright and Beautiful has been suggested but rejected for some reason.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 24-Sep-13 12:40:18

Morning has broken is lovely. I went to a funeral once and I cannot for my life sing its awful they put on All things bright and beautiful and I was the only one singing but I couldn't stop as that would have been worse!

20wkbaby Tue 24-Sep-13 12:46:46

Just made myself cry looking at the lyrics of lullabies and thinking of them being sung at a funeral. Especially as my grandmother whose funeral it is lost her own mother at 2 months old.

<sob>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now