did she know?

(8 Posts)
FiftyShadesofGreyMatter Thu 29-Aug-13 04:05:15

I'm sure she did. My Mum waited for me to fly home from overseas and went shortly after I arrived at her hospital bedside.

MoominMammasHandbag Thu 29-Aug-13 00:15:50

My Grandad waited for me. I believe your Grandma waited for you.

BiddyPop Tue 13-Aug-13 08:52:19

Probably. DH has always felt that his Grandma held on long enough for him to get home from college - he had been almost a day's travel away, she held on through his last 3 exams and the day he travelled. He arrived home shortly after midnight and went in to see her, she responded slightly in her sleep. His DM sent him to bed (no sleep for 40 hours) and Grandma died about 90 mins later. (The rest of the family had been gathered for 3 days - MIL had only told DH the seriousness of it when he came out of last exam - well, he got the message when he got back to dorms in the early hours after the celebrations, as they were his finals).

witchofmiddx Mon 05-Aug-13 16:02:44

Of course she knew. Too much of a co-incidence that she made a sound & moved just at that moment. How amazing that you were able to be there with her. I fully understand your turmoil in the subsequent days; my grandma was the closest in the world to me and i would have given anything to have been there at the very end. I am so sorry for your loss.

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 17-Jul-13 02:55:11

hearing is indeed the last sense to go - im sure she knew that you were there. I recently did my first aid refresher and was constantly reminded to watch was is said because even when people appear to be gravely ill they can still hear.
im sure she sensed and heard you. lovely that she was surrounded by people who cared at the end.
take comfort in that. Sorry for your loss.

meee123 Wed 17-Jul-13 02:24:19

thank you for your kind words ,i hope you're right

LillyofWinchester Wed 17-Jul-13 02:19:29

It's very possible she did, apparently hearing is the last sense to go and the fact that she reacted/responded makes me think she did. I'm sorry for your loss, you'll never know for sure if she heard you but it sounds like she died surrounded by people who loved her, including you. That sounds like a way mot people should want it to be and I'm sure she would have sensed that love too.

meee123 Wed 17-Jul-13 02:09:27

i'm a bit of a mess so please forgive any spelling mistakes , my grandma died last night she was 90 she bought me up. My mother(her daughter ) had me in in the 70's and all though it was probably frowned on my grandparents loved me. To the point, i haven't visited her(grandma,grandfather died years ago) in a long time, no excuses not because i didn't want to but because i'd left it so long .
When i got there last night she was not coherent ,but i kissed her and told her i love her, she moved and made a noise . Not long after she passed . I know nobody can answer this but do you think she knew i was there. PS there was also 18 other people there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now