TheSecondComing Sun 02-Jun-13 14:04:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Portofino Sun 02-Jun-13 14:20:52

Thinking of you too. I hope he stays peaceful and pain free. Xxx

WandaDoff Sun 02-Jun-13 14:21:53

Wishing you strength & peace to get through this x

Love and light to you both x

Wolfiefan Sun 02-Jun-13 19:23:01

Thinking of you. Glad to hear he has had pain relief.

kansasmum Sun 02-Jun-13 19:34:20

OoH drs have been and my dh has gone to get the meds and then the nurse will set up the syringe driver. Mum is in bits but can't just sit and be with Dad but just letting her get on with it.
I'm staying overnight.
Just realised I've only had a banana and a bit of a chicken sandwich to eat today so dh is bringing me some takeout on the way home.
My poor sister is beside herselfsad((
She's gone home for a bit- she can't bear seeing Dad like this. hmm
The Hospice team are bloody amazing. So patient and caring and supportive.

kohl Sun 02-Jun-13 19:54:25

Just found your thread kansasmum, I'll be thinking of you and your Dad tonight. You do sound like such a lovely daughter.

Dutchoma Sun 02-Jun-13 21:21:21

Make sure you have plenty to drink. So glad your dad is comfortable. Hopefully your mum will have a bit of peace too.
Wishing you strength for a peaceful night.

Snog Sun 02-Jun-13 21:31:17

my dad died 20 days ago from end stage renal failure.
it has been a huge comfort that he died at home, peacefully with his family around him.
my dd like yours has found it very hard.
thinking of you

duchesse Sun 02-Jun-13 21:34:58

Sorry that you are going through this. My father died very suddenly on May 13th. I can't imagine what you are going through in these strange days.

duchesse Sun 02-Jun-13 21:37:25

Kansas I just realised you are in Devon so if you need any practical help in the next few days I am near Exeter. PM if you need anything.

Trumpton Sun 02-Jun-13 21:40:35

Kansas you are bringing so many bittersweet memories to me. I was with my dad at home to the very end but had a difficult sister to deal with. My lovely dad was made comfortable and happy as he left his pain and suffering behind. My thoughts are with you , please know that you will gain such comfort from your actions in the time to come.

Just wanted to see how you and your DF were. Reading this has brought back memories of my beloved dads struggle and how brave he was. It is heart breaking to watch them suffer sad

Thinking of you all x

Wolfiefan Sun 02-Jun-13 22:08:01

The Hospice team may well be amazing but so are you. Wishing you strength over the coming days.

Homebird8 Sun 02-Jun-13 22:12:03

It's strange how different people react to situations. The best thing we found was to try to accept that everyone does it differently. I'm thinking of you, your DSis, your DD, your DM, and especially your DF. Well done for remembering to eat. Try to rest your body at some point even if you don't sleep. Tell your DH I'm sending him some extra strength to be with you all through this too. It does sound as if your dad is almost ready to go gently with the help of the hospice team. Have a brew or a wine if it helps.

Being with your dad and holding him on the final stage of his life's journey is a truly lovely thing to do. Thinking of you at this so difficult time.

MandyWatkins Sun 02-Jun-13 22:21:57

I went through something very similar with my Dad a few weeks ago. (He came to live with me). Every morning I'd hope he'd died during the night - that it would be over for both of us. But he was always there - still alive, yet wanting to die. It was heartbreaking. (We had four visits a day, two carers each time, during the last three weeks).

Then one day I popped into his room, looking for something - he was still there - popped back - he was gone. I hadn't expected him to do it that way.

I talked to him, as did my teenage DC, about all sorts of stuff until the doctor and the undertaker came and we were so happy, despite our tears - it was so strange. I knew I'd done my best for him; and I knew he knew that too. I miss him so much, but I would never want him back, not like he was.

I had a vile family member to contend with too stupid bitch

One day at a time Kansas. Thinking of you.

Have only just seen this thread. My Dad was diagnosed with terminal, un operable oral cancer about 12 weeks ago. In those few weeks his weight has halved. My Mum has Alzheimers that used to be kept under control with her tablets but they are no longer working. They are still living in their home. I try to go to visit as often as possible and my brother and all the grandkids and great grandkids visit as well. We have had about half a dozen dashes to A & E.

I feel so much for you. What you are doing is wonderful to care for your Dad like you are doing is priceless.

My only hope is that my parents have something nice to eat, a few drinks, a kiss and a cuddle in their bed and pass together.

My love and respect to you and a hug for your Dad xxxx

KrazyKurls Sun 02-Jun-13 22:24:15

Thinking if you Kansas as you start another rough night, DGrandmother passed away at home last year and we nursed her like this. Keep on top if them re the drugs they come out at all hours and frequencies to administer.

Try and save your energies you will need them when the time comes, especially if your mother is being difficult.

It takes a special daughter to nurse a dying parent, huge hugs.

lymeregis Sun 02-Jun-13 22:28:09

Thinking of you all.

chelsbells Sun 02-Jun-13 22:31:36

(((( hand holding ))))
Went through this with my MIL in January, now going trough it with my FIL and GrandFather. It's horrible it really is; seeing them in pain is horrific, not only for them but for their loved ones. Take care of yourself and your family, thinking of you all xxx

Also. The teams at the hospices are amazing. We couldn't have made my MIL any happier or more comfortable anywhere else, they made a very difficult time, just that little bit easier knowing someone was there who cared.

kansasmum Sun 02-Jun-13 23:57:57

Thank you all so much.
Mum got really angry at me earlier and I just lost it but the hospice nurses calmed me down and sorted it out and is fine now.
Syringe driver is in situ and dad is very peaceful. I'm lying on the spare bed right next to dad. I'm sure he knows I'm here.
The care assistant from the hospice is staying overnight which is huge relief to me- she's lovely.
I'm do sorry for all of you who have been through similar - it's bloody awful isnt it?
I know the end is near for Dad but I do have a sense of calm tonight.

{{{hugs}}} hopefully your calm will enfold him too. x

ClaraOswald Mon 03-Jun-13 00:55:23

I hope for a peaceful night for you all.x

SugarandSpice126 Mon 03-Jun-13 01:46:51

Thinking of you..I hope the calm remains. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now