Need hand holding as I sit with my dad who is dying

(256 Posts)
kansasmum Sat 01-Jun-13 02:17:22

My Dad is end stages of liver cancer. I'm sat with him tonight as the normal
Nurse cover was in an availabl

Homebird8 Fri 14-Jun-13 21:20:34

Hope it went well today Kansasmum. I have been thinking of you.

StupidMistakes Sat 15-Jun-13 17:16:25

Hello Kansas. I haven't read your whole thread but I thought I would say I feel your pain. It's a month today since I lost my mum to liver cancer and less than two since she was diagnosed. I can barely bare the pain.

Thinking of you today Kansas. Beautiful poem, Shabs. Made me well up - and I have't really vried since my Dad died a year ago. Miss him terribly but wouldn't wish him bakc in the state he was in.

Ask your school to apply for Special Consideration, Kansas. 2 of my students have had it this year for their Grandparents.

Love to all those who are bereaved. Xxx

kansasmum Sat 15-Jun-13 20:43:33

Yesterday was bloody hard. So final. The burial was to be honest bloody horrible- I wept buckets.

But the service in the afternoon was better- happier and loads of nice memories of Dad. My Dh did the Eulogy with my cousin- Dh's bit was about more recent years and my cousin's was about the earlier years. Dh was brilliant and his speech made me cry.

Took my Ds to Dad's grave after the service to lay flowers and say his goodbye. He kissed the cross marking Dad's gravesmile

I was exhausted by the end of the day but still not sleeping wellsad

Today was a bit weird. We've been in this bubble for weeks and now the bubble as burst and life has to return to normal- whatever normal is now.

Went shopping in Exeter with dh. Mum jumped at the chance to have Ds for the afternoon which she never really did before - they had a lovely afternoon together and probably wore Mum out in a good way!

Have my niece for a sleepover tonight.

Father's Day tomorrow- my first without a Dadsad

Kansasmum, I have read this whole thread and am so sorry for your loss. I lost my darling dad in April and tomorrow is my first Father's Day without him, feel so sad and empty. My dad had a long illness too - he had Parkinson's, then lots of other things wrong, finally was in hospital for more than 2 months with recurrent chest infections and the last complication was pneumonia. I cherish the last week I had with him, when I told him all he meant to me, told him it was ok to let go and go to heaven, and I promised him I would always make him proud. The grief is hard and comes in bumps and waves, but it has brought the rest of our family closer together. You sound like a lovely daughter and your dad will be watching over you and be with you in spirit always. I hope you get through tomorrow ok. Thinking of you and your family x

Dutchoma Netherlands Sun 16-Jun-13 10:14:29

I have been without my dad for over 30 years and still miss him. For the last ten years of his life I didn't live in the same country and so did not see him that much, but we stayed in touch. He died a week before my dd was born, so I couldn't attend the funeral.
All three of us (Kansas, Fluffy and I) are lucky to have had good fathers whose memories we cherish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now