24 years today....

(35 Posts)

My world changed forever... I was 4 years old, and was told my mummy wasn't coming home again. She had died.

My brother was 5, my sister was 18months.

I dont usually think about it because it doesn't change anything so I keep it locked up, but this morning when my 4 year old daughter came bounding into my bedroom I just wanted to sob.

I know how much she needs me and the thought of what she would go through if I left her was so tangible to me this morning. Even worse that her 18 month old sister had a stay in A&E on Tuesday night...

I have a wonderful stepmum but I want to say 'I miss my mummy' I love her. I want her back. I want er to meet her grandchildren. I want her to tell me that she is proud of me and I want a hug. I want to know what she smells like. What she looks like. Not from a photo. From memory. I miss my mummy sad

Hi SB, I'm so sad for your loss. You sound so desolate sad
The time that has passed has no relevance, and other wise posters can also see that it is the child inside you that is grieving, as well as the mother that you are now.

You may feel a little less fragile as the next couple of days go by, I certainly hope so. However, if you don't, please go to your GP and see if you can get referred for some counselling to help you to work through your grief. It seems to be quite common for certain similar events to be triggering, or even in my case just to be happy enough for my mind to feel ready to unravel stuff that had been deeply buried.

We can never guarantee tomorrow, but chances are that you will be around for your DCs for far longer than your unfortunate mum thanks

married I am feeling lost sad

I'm sure it will pass... We had a family party last night, my mums sisters 50th... A very big mum shaped hole sad

My DDs aren't well so I think it's all just come at once...

ExcuseTypos Sun 05-May-13 22:52:24

Sleeping I'm so sorrysad

I think it's because your dd is the age you were when your mum died, which has hit you very hard.

My mum walked out on me, brother and my dad when I was 3. I thought I wasn't affected but when my own dd turned 3, I did get very,very down.

It made me think about me as a little girl and how I didn't have a mummy.

Tbh I wished I'd gone for counselling as I still haven't come to terms with why she left, and I'm now 47.
I think losing your mum, in whatever way, when you're a little girl, has a huge effect on a child. See how you go and if you're still feeling low in a couple of weeks please go and see our dr about counselling.

Ploom Sun 05-May-13 22:54:27

Aw sleepingbunnies I'm so sorry that you are feeling so sad - I think it sounds like you've had a lot on your plate & then this moment just brought it all to the surface.

My mother died just before the Christmas after I was 9. I hadnt consciously thought about it when dd was that age until she was practising her Christmas carols on the piano and it suddenly came to me that maybe I had been doing similar with my mother & then the next day she died. I was inconsolable for hours and had a heartache for weeks after. Its just the thought of your own dc being so little and thats how little when you were left motherless. I read a book called "Motherless mothers" and it states its quite a common monent for women like us to be upset.

Sending you un-MNetty hugs <<<>>>. keep talking on here - it'll probably help.

^^ yes to this... I am finding myself wondering what the days following her death were like. Did I walk around trying to find her? Did I aak after her. Did I cry much? How did I feel? I can't remember.

I miss her. sad

Oh darling sad

How are you feeling today?

Whoateallthecheese Tue 07-May-13 13:29:11

Have you read Motherless Mothers: Legacy of Loss by Hope Edelman? You may find it helpful. It talks about the massive impact losing your mother has on so many aspects of your life. I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. Counselling may also help, you could try CRUSE. x

Am more together now. Normal life has resumed and eveything is normal again. Can't help thinking 'til the next time' but my very low moments happen so rarely.

I think i'v just learnt to lock it up, I just cannot deal with it for any great length of time. So for now it's all locked away again.

A very kind munsnetter is sending me the book you mention whoateallthecheese so I will read that.

Thank you for all your replies... Life isn't fair but tis life and there's nothing we can do sad

Little things seem to be getting to me more than they ever did before, like my 4 year old asking for 'a mummy cuddle'... I wonder what I called it? Anyway, I must switch off otherwise I could talk all day...!

ssd Wed 08-May-13 22:41:59

will post the book off on Friday, xx

the book was very kindly sent to me by BettySwollocksandaCrustyRack , just after my own mum died, just when I needed to know I wasnt so alone with my thoughts

I know the book helped me, and in the spirit it was given to me, I hope it helps you, sleepingbunnies

"funny" how we are all drawn to threads like this, in the hope of sharing something with each other and giving comfort to each other

its just so sad, living with the loss of our mums xxx

I am so glad the book is being passed on. Read it in dribs and drabs when you feel strong enough, it really has lots of helpful bits in it.

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now