A little hand holding please...

(508 Posts)
SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Fri 26-Apr-13 03:48:37

My gorgeous husband kissed ds1, aged 5, ds2, aged 3, and I, tonight, told us each that he loved us and went to play football, as he has every Thursday for the last 10 years.

38 minutes later, I had a call from his mate to say that he was having some kind of fit. By the time I arrived at the pitch, he was receiving cpr. Eventually we agreed they should stop at the hospital. He was 39 years old and the best daddy and husband one could hope for.

I'm lying here, wide awake, totally numb, and trying to think how to tell our beautiful boys that their super daddy didn't make it home.

I don't know when I'll be back on here., as I'm supposed to be trying to sleep, but just needed to say the words above.

Hope DS2 is ok, Survival.
I read your blog today. I felt staggered and humbled by how much thought and care you have put into enabling your boys to grieve. At no small cost to yourself. I honestly don't think it would have occurred to me to do the research and the talking and the role modelling you have done. I am so in awe of you, and would feel honoured to be counted amongst your friends in RL.
You're doing an amazing job, Survival. Amazing.
Much love. Xxx

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Fri 01-Nov-13 23:48:29

Thank you.x

saffronwblue Sun 03-Nov-13 07:23:43

I too spent an evening reading your blog entries. You paint such a great picture of your DH and your marriage. I agree with truly that you are an extraordinary parent. Your boys will grow up feeling loved and secure. I hope you have the great RL support you deserve. x

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 03-Nov-13 08:05:37

Just read through this now and will read your blog you have been so strong and brave for your 2 boys you sound like a fantastic mummy.
Hope ds2 is ok OP

timetopost Sun 03-Nov-13 22:16:58

Hi Survival, Hope you and your boys are feeling better. I've just read your latest blog, I know I keep repeating myself, but you're truly amazing. Take care x

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Sun 03-Nov-13 23:11:08

Thank you all. If the boys grow up feeling loved and secure I will be very pleased.

Tonight I've listened to too many sad songs whilst ironing in front of last night's recorded X Factor. I am very worn out and yet need to find the mental strength to get ds1 the help he needs to get him sorted physically again. I have spent the last three years feeding him up and he now looks like a child on a famine advert. I rang the dietician on Friday but she didn't ring back. I think ds1 probably needs a calorie supplement and I'm so worried that he will not have the strength to fight off the winter bugs without a bit of weight back on him. He is also describing a lump on the I side of his neck/throat so I wonder if he might actually have pharyngitis. Either way, I will get him checked at the GP tomorrow to make sure.

This is when I need dh to be around to calm me down and tell me everything will be fine (even if at times I thought he was being too blaze and too uninformed to make a true judgement!) I had half an hour off today and drove along thinking to myself that I hope one day my luck will change. Then I was hit by the horrible fear that I am trying to bury. The boys may have a 50% chance of inheriting dh's heart condition and it may mean they need a heart transplant as a teenager. The problem is that because the local pathologist was not looking specifically for particular heart issues (past a cause of death), we don't know the cause of it. It may have been bad luck and it may be hereditary. We won't ever know unless one of the boys develops it. Somehow I have to learn to live with this fear, but it really hit me like a punch in the stomach today. This might only be the very beginning of everything, rather than moving along the path towards the end of our traumas.

Sorry for the downer on a Sunday night but I just needed to put it in writing. I have talked to my DM and to a friend this evening, but it's late and quiet and bloomin' lonely right now. What I need is a list of things I need to do so I can regain control of things a bit. That and some sleep. If anyone fancies looking after ds2 when he is mostly waking for the day at 4:30a.m at the moment, you'd be more than welcome!!

saffronwblue Mon 04-Nov-13 03:02:16

Oh survival that is such hard stuff to have going around your head. Sometimes you have to just try to shut down those future thoughts and find one thing you can look forward to tomorrow. Hope both boys sleep well and ds1 's throat is ok. Xx

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 04-Nov-13 04:29:22

Sending you lots of hugs. I agree with Saffron try and focus on the here and now, no-one ever knows what lies around the corner and if we tried to think a out the what if's all the time we miss the little moments of happiness happening right now.
I cannot begin to imagine how frightening and scary it must be for you to think about what might be but please take some comfort in that although medically the exact cause may not be known the tests have shown an area for future checks to be focused on and your boys can be monitored as closely as possible.
Stay strong and take care- hope you have a good week and the boys are better x

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Wed 06-Nov-13 23:27:28

Thank you both for replying. I've shut the door for now on those thoughts about the future that I can do nothing about. Have my second session of counselling tomorrow so might bring it up.

The week is going by pretty well. Ds1 is doing half days at school to get him back up to strength and I've managed to get dates for 5 of the hospital appointments I have been waiting for for both ds. At least now I can arrange childcare and know when I get to have the conversations that have been going round in my head. I've got to travel to our regional children's hospital 3 times in 6 days which seems a bit ridiculous (as it is about 50 minutes' drive each way! The train journey was quicker when I tried it in the summer but took a lot of arranging and wasn't much cheaper by the time I'd paid to park etc..). It'll be a miracle if I end up at the right hospital with the right child at the right time (with someone somewhere looking after the other one!!) I'm not new to all this but dh was always willing to come if I needed him to or to at least be responsible for the other ds if not needed a the hospital.

The boys are both being a bit aggressive again this week but so far I have mostly managed to head it off. I had 90 minutes off this afternoon while db and dfil looked after the boys together and indulged in a little (bargainous) retail therapy. I've also finally had the time this morning to clean the house which always makes me feel better. My blog is done for the week (though not published till probably tomorrow night) and the world is looking a bit brighter. Ds1 is still looking awfully skinny, but he is eating pasta and chicken for practically every meal (at his own request!) and my homemade 'freefrom' gingerbread men in between. We can't do any more at the moment as his tummy is still a bit fragile so I can't rush the fattier foods.

Thinking of you Survival, and look forward to reading your blog when it is published. Xxx

timetopost Thu 07-Nov-13 14:46:42

Hi Survival, it's good to hear that things are looking a bit brighter, I hope your counselling goes well. Take care x

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Thu 07-Nov-13 15:34:01

Hold hands flowers

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 07-Nov-13 15:38:11

Hopefully all the hospital appointments go ok and your counselling session is helpful.

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Sat 16-Nov-13 22:40:36

Counselling is going well, but is very tiring and leaves me tired for the rest of the day (as it happens early in the morning).

I thought that Christmas songs in shops were going to be hard to hear, but the blooming adverts on tv are worse because they sneak into my lounge when I'm 'up' and make me sob. How many times will I have to hear 'I'm feeling tired and I need someone to rely on?' on the John Lewis advert before Christmas actually arrives? I have the most amazing bunch of people around me that I could possibly ever ask for, but they aren't dh, and they can't take away my worry and concern for the boys, no matter how many wonderful shopping trips and birthday meals out they plan. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, as I'm really, really not. It's just it's not him planning them, and it should be. I don't want a birthday next weekend. At least the boys will distract me at Christmas. Next weekend is just something to endure this year.

(I don't feel like this all the time - in fact I've had a wonderful afternoon off with lovely friends and laughed a lot. However, I just felt the need to write the above. I really hope my RL friends don't read it as they so desperately want me to have a happy birthday and I don't want to let them down).

On a brighter note, my blog is on the front page of the MN bloggers network again today. I've decided to concentrate on decorating ds2's room and on wrapping presents etc.. for the next few weeks, rather than writing my blog and I feel a bit relieved that I've made that decision for now. I may be on here more instead!

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 17-Nov-13 00:38:10

You are so lovely OP worrying about having a happy birthday for your friends but please don't feel pressurised to. It would be lovely for you to have a happy day but if its a hard day if you have to stop to give yourself a few minutes that's ok you do it how you can.
I'm glad the counselling sessions are going ok although they must be so draining hope you are able to have some time to relax afterwards? Take care OP x

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Sun 17-Nov-13 23:15:58

Thank you. I get about an hour after co selling to get home, compose myself, reapply my make up and collect ds2. The tiredness sets in at about 4pm!

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Sun 17-Nov-13 23:16:18

Co selling?? Counselling!!

FoxyRevenger Wed 20-Nov-13 08:25:09

Hey Survival, I've just been catching up. Oh. My. Goodness. You've had a crazy time of it recently - again!

Just wanted to let you know we're still around and listening.

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Wed 20-Nov-13 23:04:37

Thanks Foxy.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 22-Nov-13 14:41:30

Hope the counselling helps.
flowers

saffronwblue Sat 23-Nov-13 06:45:04

The counselling must be really draining but hopefully it is helping a bit - whatever that means. You obviously have lovely, caring friends and also a great big hole where your DH should be. That must make every celebration and milestone very hard.

Hello Survival
Please dont consider me weird but I've been lurking and following your story since the beginning. I took the time to read your blogs recently and you are amazing strong and such an eloquent writer. I just wanted to say so!

I hope that you are doing ok this week.

timetopost Wed 27-Nov-13 21:13:12

Hi Survival, I'm just popping by to say that I'm still thinking of you, I hope you and your lovely boys are ok. take care x

TwentyTinyToes Wed 27-Nov-13 23:12:49

Another one thinking of you. X

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 06-Dec-13 11:02:49

thinking of you flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now