Readings/hymns for non-religious funeral?

(6 Posts)
CocktailQueen Wed 20-Mar-13 13:19:26

Hi all
My husband and I are planning his brother's funeral. Can anyone recommend any non-Bible readings for the funeral? He was not religious - we have thought of a non-humanist service but want to go with a religious one, but don't want it too religious... Thank you.

Mendeleyev Wed 20-Mar-13 16:16:50

Hi cocktail queen. I am sorry for your loss. When my dad died we didn't want a religious service or a humanist one! The funeral director booked the crem and then I did the service. My mom chose 3 pieces of music to play that he had loved. I spoke about him and read a poem that I'd found in a book in the library. The library had got lots of books to look at that had suitable poems and readings that were not religious. It made a lovely service on the day. I can't remember which poem it was but you could easily find something suitable I'd have thought

CocktailQueen Wed 20-Mar-13 19:00:00

Thank you. I'm sorry for your loss. Your service sounds lovely. I have googled and found some nice poems. will see what dh thinks. I will ask him about music too.

Timbow Sat 23-Mar-13 11:33:35

It's true you don't need a minister or any professional help to hold a funeral in a crematorium and a funeral director should give you what advice you need. But a death can really knock you sideways and a lot of people would rather not have the extra anxiety of public speaking and organising a ceremony.

Regarding readings I have a small selection here:
www.timwhittingham.com/news-blog/

Finbar Sat 23-Mar-13 15:53:54

Theres'a good piece of writing by Bishop Brent ( don't be put off by the religious association) called 'What is dying?'. It's uplifting and soothing.

So sorry for your loss - I am in the middle of planning a funeral too hence the familiarity with this piece.

CocktailQueen Sun 24-Mar-13 19:10:15

Thanks Tim and Finbar - we have settled on readings, had a good chat with the minster who will be conducting the funeral, chosen hymns and we are sorted. smile

Sorry for your loss too Finbar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now