My Grandad died yesterday in a horrific way

(17 Posts)
Spinning13 Mon 11-Feb-13 22:05:56

I've name changed for this as I am a regular and this is very, very identifying as I have been talking about it in RL.

My maternal Grandfather (who lives in Italy) was with my Uncle. My Uncle went out to buy a takeaway pizza for them. When he got back to the house my Grandad wasn't there.

After a while of searching the immediate land the police were called.

My Grandad was found in a bonfire in one of their fields. (farmland)

It looks like he decided to go out and light the bonfire which had been set up with garden/farm type waste and fell into it. It may have been that he had a stroke or fainted or heart attack. We just don't know.

It's all just so surreal and I am so emotionally all over the place with it all.

pookamoo Mon 11-Feb-13 22:07:18

So sorry for your loss.

CabbageLeaves Mon 11-Feb-13 22:07:27

Oh Spinning sad I'm so sorry. It sounds highly likely he lost consciousness before he fell and would have known nothing

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 11-Feb-13 22:08:13

How awful, I am not surprised you are all over the place.

biglips Mon 11-Feb-13 22:08:33

sad so sorry to hear your loss

AndMiffyWentToSleep Mon 11-Feb-13 22:08:48

So sorry, that is awful.

Grockle Mon 11-Feb-13 22:09:09

So sorry Spinning sad

DoctorAnge Mon 11-Feb-13 22:10:03

I am so sorry this happened sad

Pinner35 Mon 11-Feb-13 22:10:51

So sorry for your loss. Absolutely awful for you all sad

wickeddevil Mon 11-Feb-13 22:11:37

Oh I am so sorry Spinning. It must be a big shock for you and very sad. I hope you have got good friends and family around to support you.
Wishing you love

landofsoapandglory Mon 11-Feb-13 22:13:35

I'm so very, very sorry for your loss, Spinningsad.

((((((HUGS)))))))

frustratedworkingmum Mon 11-Feb-13 22:20:16

sad so sorry

ImpatientOne Mon 11-Feb-13 22:21:14

sad

Oh my god sad
I am so sorry. Sending you strength and thinking of you

piratecat Mon 11-Feb-13 22:25:08

i am sorry Spinning. sending you my best wishes, what a terrible shock. x

Spinning13 Mon 11-Feb-13 22:27:26

Thank you all. I'm just feeling so sorry for everyone directly involved, and my poor mum who is over here in England.

Apparently no one has been allowed to view his body sad They funeral people sealed the casket prior to taking it back to the house. We are still waiting to hear if the funeral took place this evening (burial within a day) or if it will be tomorrow morning.

I just feel bereft that now both my grandparents have gone from that house. It's the end of my childhood links to it I suppose.

Remember being allowed to sit with him out late at night and catching fireflies in a jar for him, aged about 7. He was a grumpy old bugger but he always seemed pleased with me when I presented hi with my catchings sad

t875 Tue 12-Feb-13 09:33:04

Oh my god how horrible. I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending out support to you and your family xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now