How many death certificate copies are actually neccessary?

(4 Posts)
Snowme Tue 05-Feb-13 15:16:37

I am due to meet the registrar to obtain the death certificate in a couple of days.

I am executor of the estate and wondering how many copies of the deathcert I will need to buy, as it's been recommended between one and a dozen, as the officials I will need to deal with won't take photocopies, just originals. They range between £4-£10 each depending on area registrar.

mumofthemonsters808 Tue 05-Feb-13 15:24:18

They were relatively cheap in our authority so I got 3 copies plus the original.This worked well for us, it all depends upon what assets the deceased has, because at one stage the certicates were being requested by several different parties.Whereas with another deceased relative her estate was handled by a solicitor so I only needed the one.

lurkerspeaks Wed 06-Feb-13 18:34:50

My mother has just died. We got 10 copies and have needed them as most financial institutions have wanted a registrar issued copy.

Each copy was 10 quid.

We are slowly working through the estate.

Rockdoctor Thu 07-Feb-13 14:10:08

I agree with lurker. I can't remember how many we got when my father died but it was at least 6, probably 10.

You will find most banks/insurers etc. will want a copy so it depends on how many banks etc you think you will be dealing with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now