Edinburgh Crematorium story

(9 Posts)
RufflingFeathers Wed 05-Dec-12 22:24:14

Anyone else affected by the news of Mortonhall crematorium?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-20609910

Really shocked and sad angry sad

quoteunquote Thu 06-Dec-12 19:52:08

I'm not surprised we didn't get any ashes back for one of our sons.

benbobaggins Thu 06-Dec-12 23:22:57

Sometimes, when we cremate babies, there are no ashes to give to families, it's a hard thing to tell them sad

NoJudgementRequired Thu 06-Dec-12 23:28:09

I heard this today. Its not the fact that the families where told there would be no ashes, its that there wereashes and the families were denied the chance to have them.

I just dont see what the funeral home where gaining from this? Is it a cost thing? Or just laziness?

My heart breaks for those poor families involved.

benbobaggins Thu 06-Dec-12 23:37:52

My heart breaks too, sometimes I have to scatter babies ashes and it is done the same whether the parents are there or not, we have a special baby garden.

RufflingFeathers Fri 07-Dec-12 07:58:57

Benbo - I take it you have insider knowledge of crematoriums?
Our son was cremated there in 2004 - we were told there were no ashes and now I fear that they were just swept into the bin or left in there to be mixed with whoever came next !

I do understand that sometimes there are no ashes, or very very few.

I wish I hadn't even read the article sad

benbobaggins Fri 07-Dec-12 08:05:13

Yes I work at a crematorium, sometimes there are no ashes to return to a family, please be assured that your baby was not swept into a bin but treated like everyone else with absolute respect and dignity.

I'm very sorry you lost your boy hmm

I just can't understand why the workers (and was it only one, or all of them?) did it. Was it tacit policy or what? Baffling.

1944girl Tue 05-Mar-13 00:05:51

One of my grandchildren lived for just 25 minutes.He was born alive at 20 weeks and struggled bravely, but had to give up the fight.
Because of his very small size, my DS and his partner were told that there would be no ashes.He was cremated at a service arranged by the hospital which his parents attended.They(DS and his partner) put up a name plague in the baby garden of the cemetry in the crematorium grounds.
I visit there regularly and say a prayer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now