My dad is dying

(29 Posts)

I have just signed to say I don't want any more intervention for him.
He's not eating or drinking or responding to anything.

I hate the fact that I'm all on my own. My sister hasn't even contacted me yet.
I am dreading phoning everyone and having to tell them. Especially his sister who doesn't even know he's so bad as she's having an op today.

I thought it would be a relief in the end as he has advanced Alzheimers. But to sign the form just felt like I was giving up on him sad
The last 5 years has been so hard. I think part of me will always resent my sister for leaving it all to me.

Mollydoggerson Tue 20-Nov-12 22:53:50

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I think you have responded to this crisis so well.

Take care x

Solo Wed 21-Nov-12 00:59:10

I'm certain he is proud of you and yes, be proud of yourself! this is a very unpleasant experience to go through sad and you are doing your very best for you DDad.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 21-Nov-12 01:47:06

Oh love, what a fantastic daughter to have done what you did single handedly.
My heart goes out to you, and I am so sorry for your loss.
I lost both my parents one to cancer, other sudden heart attack. I know what you are going through and know you will be ok.
Sending you a hug x

Learning70 Thu 06-Dec-12 22:30:22

Hi my dad died at the weekend, he also had dementia. I don't think you should feel guilty for what you did. My mum made the same decision last week and then he seemed to be responding, so they carried on treating him. Every day after that was torture and I think the fight has gone out of all of us before it went out of him. I last saw him on the day he died and I wish now that I had insisted they stop treating him, my mum thinks they did take measures towards the end but I don't think we will ever know really. I always accepted his illness from day 1, but it's only now that it's really hit me what the illness did to him and that he had gone a long time before he died. I'm glad he is at peace now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now