'What the caterpillar perceives is the end, to the butterfly is just the beginning.' Our journey after Beatrice

(818 Posts)

Beatrice died on 24th October aged 1 year, 1 month, 1 week and 1 day. She was buried on 2nd November. As she starts her new life as a butterfly, we are left on the ground feeling bewildered and bereft. I read a short piece at her funeral, and I stand by it:

'I often felt that being Beatrice's mum was much like holding a butterfly. I was in awe of her beauty and felt so privileged that she had chosen to come to me. But, much like a butterfly, I knew that one day she would spread her wings and fly away.

When Beatrice was one day old, a kind stranger shared this poem with me, and it sums up how I feel about Beatrice:

"A butterfly lights besides us like a sunbeam. And for a brief moment its glory and beauty belongs to the world.
But then it flies once again, and though we wish it could have stayed, we feel so lucky to have seen it."

I feel so lucky to have been chosen as Beatrice's mum and I truly believe that the immense grief we must now suffer is still a small price to play for the love she brought into our lives.

Goodnight Beatrice'

I still feel her love in my heart, but I am struggling without her in my arms. I miss caring for her and kissing her. Looking at her and stroking her hair. Singing to her, always singing so many songs. I haven't sung a song since she died, but I don't want the music to leave my life as it means I have let the grief win.

Fly high little butterfly, but please don't forget all of us left behind who hold you, still so fragile, in our hearts and memories. Please don't forget me, Beatrice x

Still no word from the geneticist, but I have put it to the back if my mind.

We are off to the hospice tomorrow for our last bereaved parents group. We have to take an object that means a lot to us. There are so many, but I think I'll take her stripy blanket, because that saw her through from day one until the end. I still cuddle it now so her smell is long gone, but I still love it.

I miss her this evening. Out of the blue I've been crying for no special reason. I just... miss her.

Best1sWest Sat 25-Jan-14 23:17:42

Oh Cup, I have followed your threads from the start and you and Beatrice are often in my thoughts. You write so beautifully.

Johny32 Wed 29-Jan-14 12:29:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Tonight I was looking at early photos of Beatrice and I was smiling away, because she was so cute and so beautiful. But then like a switch being flicked, I was suddenly in floods of tears, because she's not here anymore and it just doesn't seem real.

I saw a quote earlier which I love:

I wish you were here, but you're not.
You're there.
And there doesn't know how lucky it is.

Rowgtfc72 Wed 05-Feb-14 12:14:00

That's a lovely quote. Crying is OK too. And yes Beatrice was very cute and beautiful. Thinking of you.

Mojito100 Thu 06-Feb-14 14:03:13

Cup I have appreciated the honesty of your threads and offer you my sincerest sympathy. You help me cry at the loss of my own angel and expressly feelings do eloquently with your posts.

Trumpton Thu 06-Feb-14 19:26:29

Ah Cup I was thinking about this evening and just popped in to say hello and that you and beautiful Bea are often in my thoughts.

It's knowing that she trusted me to make everything right, because that was my job as her mummy.
It's knowing she thought I'd never leave her, because I was always there.
It's wondering if she's scared without me.
It's kissing my dds goodnight, and worrying if she can sleep without her musical bunny or her night light.
It's knowing that however long I live, I'll never see those beautiful eyes, or feel her soft hand in mine.
It's accepting that good things will happen in the future, but that 100% happiness will never be mine.
It's putting on my happy face each morning, as people except to see it.
It's playing a role, each and every day.
It's crawling into bed exhausted with the effort of surviving. It's lonely without you.
So lonely without my girl xxx

BIWI Sat 01-Mar-14 21:14:14

<3 to you, cupoftea
xxx

janey68 Thu 06-Mar-14 18:48:47

That's a beautiful, heartbreaking description of love, cupoftea x

fhdl34 Fri 07-Mar-14 15:21:02

No words to say really except that you, Bea and the teaset are all in my thoughts so often.
Bea came into your lives not long before I became a mum myself, and I think following your journey, and reading about Bea, well it just made me appreciate my daughter and the wonderful gift of being a mum even more than I would have done before. I feel like I know her, even though I never met her, and I know I'll never forget her.

So, Beatrice is going to be a big sister. I am currently 21 weeks pregnant and still coming to terms with it. I am looking forward to being a new mum again, but utterly terrified of what the future might bring.
When I told the girls, they were so happy, with huge smiles on their faces. Dd2 asked, 'Mummy, please can this baby be healthy so we can keep it? Because we didn't get to have Beatrice for very long.' I told her I'm doing my best...

Congratulations - that is lovely news - and scary and bitter-sweet too.

GinSoakedMisery Mon 10-Mar-14 21:13:42

Congratulations Cup, I just want to give you a huge hug after reading your last two posts.

You're a fantastic mum, you did everything for Bea, you do everything for your girls and this new baby will get your everything as well.

Astralabe Mon 10-Mar-14 23:04:02

Congratulations! A new baby.. Always something to treasure xxxx

HairyPotter Mon 10-Mar-14 23:17:05

What lovely news! Congratulations to you all.

I often think of beautiful Bea, she has a place in so many hearts here. xx

Mmmnotsure Mon 10-Mar-14 23:34:32

Cup I remember Beatrice's story, and have just read through this thread.

Don't be terrified. You have so much love to give a baby, and I am sure that Beatrice knows this. You will be the mother of four children now. No one is ever lost.

fhdl34 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:51:55

What wonderful news, I'm so happy for you. I can understand your anxiety, it must be very scary but so far so good, just take one day at a time. Congratulations xx

MarnieMadden Tue 11-Mar-14 19:57:54

What wonderful news, I am so happy for you all x

Trumpton Tue 11-Mar-14 20:01:27

Sending the tea set all my very best wishes x

SugarPlumpFairy3 Tue 11-Mar-14 22:12:16

Lovely, lovely news! Congratulations x

Almostfifty Tue 11-Mar-14 22:15:45

Oh Cup, that's lovely news. Congratulations.

Congratulations Cup I hope everything goes well with this pregnancy. Sending lots of love to you all xx

foofooyeah Wed 12-Mar-14 06:41:24

Oh cup, what beautiful news.

Wishing you and your lovely family all the very best.

sassytheFIRST Wed 12-Mar-14 06:46:48

Cup, what wonderful, bittersweet news. Sending love to you all x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now