Music for my babys funeral

(68 Posts)
sleeppeacefullybabyboy Mon 03-Jan-11 22:12:25

My baby was stillborn at christmas. My head is in such a bad place and i can hardley think....now i have to arrange his funeral. I am desperatly seeking ideas for songs to play at his funeral. I need to think of a few, i have one which i def want. Can anyone out there give me some suggestions?? i am open to all types of music....anything, im just looking for the most perfect song for my perfect boy, just need a little inspiration....

So, so sorry, sad

Do you have other Dc's who mightlike a favourite choice too?

Walking in the air? - the "Snowman" song?

Pie Jesu?

SmokinSanta Mon 03-Jan-11 22:15:57

I have no suggestions, but just wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss and thinking of you and your family xx

shufflebum Mon 03-Jan-11 22:16:57

sad oh sleeppeacefully I'm so sorry. Can you say what the song is that you are thinking of to give an idea or would you rather not?
Big unmumsnetty hugs x

ellenjames Mon 03-Jan-11 22:16:57

sorry for your loss xx

nigglewiggle Mon 03-Jan-11 22:20:04

so sorry you are going through this. I hope the funeral will be some comfort for you.

Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton?

shufflebum Mon 03-Jan-11 22:20:50

Those are good suggestions marsbars, both beautiful songs.

chimchar Mon 03-Jan-11 22:21:01

I'm so so sorry about your baby boy.

The immediate song that I think of is tears in heaven by Eric Clapton.

There are lots of ladies here who have been where you are and will hold your hand through the dark days. X

SixtyFootDoll Mon 03-Jan-11 22:21:06

So sorry, think the snowman music is lovely, in fact when I was watching it at Xmas made me fill up as it struck me then it would be such moving song to be played at a funeral.

crystalglasses Mon 03-Jan-11 22:22:20

Eric Clapton's 'Tears in heaven' is a lovely song. He composed it for his young son who died in a tragic accident. Have a listen on utube.

oh - just noticed nigglewiggle has also suggested it

BikeRunSki Mon 03-Jan-11 22:23:17

I am so very sorry for your loss.

A couple of years ago, I went to the funeral of my friend's baby who was 2 days old when he died. The music included a song that had been a big hit that summer which had been on the radio a lot when his mum and dad had been painting his nursery. Are there any songs that remind you of your pregnancy with him?

shufflebum Mon 03-Jan-11 22:24:43

Lullabye (Goodnight my angel) Billy Joel
Beautiful Boy - John Lennon

and would second Tears in Heaven, such an emotional song.

Marjoriew Mon 03-Jan-11 22:27:10

Do not stand at my graveside and weep by Katherine Jenkins - a lovely song.
So sorry for your loss, OP.

knottyhair Mon 03-Jan-11 22:27:42

So so sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy. I can't imagine what you must be going through but I know I've seen other people mention the bereaved parents thread on here, and they could be a real support to you if you wanted to go on there. They may also have some ideas for songs to add the ones already given here. My best friends' baby girl died shortly after birth 5 years ago, and they had Damien Rice "Blower's Daughter" but obviously you might not like this given that you gave birth to a little boy. Thinking of you tonight.

NonnoMum Mon 03-Jan-11 22:29:06

Thinking of you.
Hope you give your beautiful boy a beautiful funeral.

CuddlyNotFat Mon 03-Jan-11 22:29:58

Maybe something that you're not likely to hear too often or when you're out & about. I went to my brother's best friend's funeral and they played a couple of songs that have since caught me out of the blue in a shop or at someone's house and it's quite hard to not get upset.

Just a thought. Do take care of yourself. x

BikeRunSki Mon 03-Jan-11 22:30:16

John Lennon - Beautiful Boy

coldtits Mon 03-Jan-11 22:30:31

The only song I can think of would be twinkle Twinkle

I'm so sorry for your loss of your son.

pink4ever Mon 03-Jan-11 22:31:20

So sorry for your terrible loss.Wheh I lost my 1st son I played 2 songs over and over again-the Eva Cassidy version of Over the Rainbow and Debussys Claire de lune(still my favourite piece of music).Hope you find something that will perhaps give you some comfort when you listen to it again in future.

plumviolet Mon 03-Jan-11 22:33:55

Godspeed (sweet dreams) - the Dixie chicks. I am so sorry Xxx

shufflebum Mon 03-Jan-11 22:37:14

An awful thing to have to google but hope it might help
Borrowed Angels by Kristin Chenoweth

You Raised Me Up by Josh Grobin

Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton

In The Arms of An Angel by Sarah McClachlan

In My Daughter's Eyes by Martina McBride

Baby Mine by Bette Midler

When The River Meets The Sea by John Denver and The Muppets

God's Will by Martina McBride

Goodnight My Angel by Billy Joel

Come Some Rainy Day by Wynonna Judd

Somewhere Over The Rainbow

One More Day by Diamond Rio

He's My Son by Mark Schultz

Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep by Twila Paris

Come Sail Away from Pirates of The Caribbean

My Immortal by Evanescenes

Forever Young by Rod Stewart

Hope this helps x

Imarriedafrog Mon 03-Jan-11 22:38:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PictureThis Mon 03-Jan-11 22:45:28

Over the the Rainbow here

I'm so very sorry for you loss.

PictureThis Mon 03-Jan-11 22:51:10

Another beautiful song is Josh Groban 'To Where You Are', lovely words.

frozenfestiveflo Mon 03-Jan-11 22:54:10

I am so sorry for your loss.

For our little boy who was also born asleep we had fields of gold by eva cassidy, an enya track and the perfect Godspeed by the Dixie Chicks.

xxx

CottageFrog Mon 03-Jan-11 22:55:19

Sorry to hear about your baby. How about some lullabies, sorry if spelling is incorrect for that.

Casseopeia Mon 03-Jan-11 23:00:30

Nina Simone, Who Knows Where The Time Goes:

"Across the evening sky, all the birds are leaving
But how can they know it's time for them to go?
Sad, deserted shore, your fickle friends are leaving
Ah, but then you know it's time for them to go
But I will still be here, I have no thought of leaving
I do not count the time
For who knows where the time goes?
Who knows where the time goes?

And I am not alone while my love is near me
I know it will be so until it's time to go
So come the storms of winter and then the birds in spring again I have no fear of time
For who knows how my love grows?
And who knows where the time goes"

My deepest sympathies.

sleeppeacefullybabyboy Mon 03-Jan-11 23:33:03

thank you all sooo much for your kind words and lovely song suggestions. thank you...you' helped me loads and ave reminded me of some songs i would never of been able to remember right now, i think no what ones i will choose, one suggested was one that i wanted all along, now i think i have my other songs, i will let you know which ones i choose...thank u

LittleWhiteSnowWolf Mon 03-Jan-11 23:39:11

I'm probably too late to add a suggestion, but I've always loved the song Annie Lennox sang for the Return of the King: "Into the West" Utterly beautiful.

I'm so, so sorry for your loss sad

PoppetUK Mon 03-Jan-11 23:41:28

Sorry for your loss x x x

everlong Tue 04-Jan-11 09:41:11

I am so sorry.

Make you feel my love by Adele is beautiful.

We had this when we lost our son Oliver.

Hope you can find a song that has means something very special.

TheSecondComing Tue 04-Jan-11 09:52:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vinvinoveritas Tue 04-Jan-11 09:55:22

Message withdrawn

BikeRunSki Tue 04-Jan-11 10:31:59

I once heard someone say that if you are from the North of England then "brass band music is like stroking your soul". I am from London but adopted the north more than half my life ago and can only agree.

How about " That'll do (A Strong and Steady Hear)" by Peter Gabriel and the Black Dyke Band. I could not find the vocal version when I looked to download it, but the instrumental (brass) is gorgeous, and I think you might some meaning in the lyrics.

It is very personal to you. I can appreciate a little of what you are going through as a very good friend of mine had to organise her 2 day old son's funeral.

AxisofEvil Tue 04-Jan-11 20:54:40

I'm so sorry. I would suggest

To where you are - Josh Grogan

Sean Lullaby - Eric Whiteacre

AppleHEAD Tue 04-Jan-11 21:56:38

Elgar Cello Concerto

lottiejenkins Wed 05-Jan-11 08:25:13

To Where you are Josh Groban
Gabriels Oboe from The Mission
Precious Child Karen Taylor Goode.

vinvinoveritas Thu 06-Jan-11 18:57:04

Message withdrawn

vinvinoveritas Thu 06-Jan-11 18:59:14

Message withdrawn

AxisofEvil Thu 06-Jan-11 20:46:03

Probably way too late but I meant Seal Lullaby by Eric Whitacre.

Another vote for
To where you are - Josh Groban
Tears in heaven - Eric Clapton

Much love, I hope you find some songs that are special for you x

ednurse Sat 08-Jan-11 15:37:00

Another for To Where You Are - Josh Groban.

Sorry for your loss x

LoopyLoopsIsNoLongerFestive Sat 08-Jan-11 15:41:19

I don't know if anyone has already said this, but be careful of choosing any songs that you will hear a lot, for obvious reasons. The last thing you want is for the song to become really popular again and make you cry in every shop, also reserving a less well-known song will make remembering more special (if that makes sense?)

We had a funeral at the crematorium and a memorial / thanksgiving (for DTD2 who lived) in a church. The music we chose was:

Pleasure and pain, Ben Harper
Hymns: Amazing Grace, Give me joy in my heart, Colours of Day.

I hope it goes well, my thoughts are with you. xxx

lulalullabye Sat 08-Jan-11 15:48:22

There is a song by the Dixie Chicks which is perfect I think. They are a country group but the song is beautiful. It is about a little boy so perfect. It is called Godspeed (Sweet Dreams). Have a look at the lyrics and most important have a listen.

lulalullabye Sat 08-Jan-11 15:49:54

Just realised that Godspeed has been said already smile.

Haribojoe Sun 09-Jan-11 18:49:20

So sorry for your loss.

Wonderful world - Louis Armstrong

Baby Mine - Bette Middler

goingmadinthecountry Tue 11-Jan-11 22:39:14

So sorry for your loss.

My DTD died 15 years ago now aged 23 hours. She stayed alive in the womb despite a heart problem and that means we have our (usually) gorgeous dd2. We had the slow movement from Bach Double violin concerto at her funeral, also the Remember Me poem. Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle always gets to me. Also Helen Reddy - If I ever had to say goodbye to you.

With best wishes.

Sazisi Tue 11-Jan-11 22:51:21

I'm so sorry.

By Your Side by Sade might be a good choice.

Best wishes xx

Newgolddream Tue 11-Jan-11 23:22:01

So sorry for your loss.xx

I thought of "In the Arms of the Angels", theres a few versions around, it is so beautiful.

madamimadam Tue 11-Jan-11 23:37:00

So so sorry for your loss. x x x

So, so sorry for your loss We lost our baby in Dec too, she was stillborn at 37 weeks. We had her funeral a few days after Christmas. If you want to talk at all then please feel free to pm me or talk on here.

We had Tears in heaven by Eric Clapton and also Brahmm's lullaby. I had some poems read as well, I have a thread running also and I've posted them on there. There are lovely ones.

Thinking of you.

ducknipples Tue 11-Jan-11 23:48:57

oh god, i'm so sorry sad <tight squeeze>

my suggestion was beggar's prayer by emiliana torrini. it's beautiful, but very emotional sad

ohfuschia Wed 12-Jan-11 00:02:17

So very sorry. A friend had Michael Jackson's 'Gone Too Soon' for their young son.

solo Wed 12-Jan-11 00:22:12

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Baby.
I'm really choked here, but there are a couple of songs that came to me that you may like.

Never Grow Old

This is a lovely version, but the wording isn't so clear...

Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring

This is the same song, but you can read the words here and get a better idea.

I wish you and your family peace.

Alliegb Fri 06-Jan-12 10:17:22

so so sorry to hear. my baby was born sleeping over christmas too and going through same as you at the moment and need to arrange music. if you ever want to talk please feel free too message me xxx

So sorry for your loss.

"Fly" by Celine Dion is a beautiful song, she wrote it for her niece when she died.

Pie Jesu is also a lovely song which we played at my mums funeral and I also agree Snowman is a lovely song too.

Thinking of you x

chipmonkey Fri 06-Jan-12 12:20:31

sleeppeacefully I don't have any other suggestions other than the lovely music already suggested here but wanted you to know you are not alone. Please join us on this thread if you want to talk to other bereaved Mums.

I am so sorry to hear about your baby boy. It seems so impossible, doesn't it? My Mia died in October, and I still find it difficult to comprehend.

We didn't have religious songs at the celebration of her life, but instead chose very gentle versions of modern music we liked :-

Angel - by Jack Johnston
Sweet Child O Mine - Taken by Trees, not the original metal version(!)
Just the Way You are - Mina Karllson (lovely version of the Bruno Mars song)

I am sure you will choose something perfect to demonstrate your love for him.

Do join us on the bereaved mothers thread if you think it might help. I find the ladies there a huge support. I just wish none of us needed to be there at all.

2old2beamum Fri 06-Jan-12 22:27:02

Agre with bikerunski We had Beautiful Boy at our precious son's funeral.It reduced the mourners in floods tears but we knew it was right. My thoughts are with you and love.

I'm so sorry to hear about your precious boy. Please can I echo Chip and Miasmummy - do come over to the bereaved mothers thread when you feel ready. They have been an incredible support since I lost my dd shortly after she was born in August xx

For my dd's funeral we had Baby Mine but the version from Dumbo rather than Bette Midler. We also had some reflection music called 'Into Dust' by Mazzy Star. It's a beautiful reflective piece.

Wishing you strength and sending you love xx

SO many lovely, songs for your lovely boy, my heart goes out to you.

chickydoo Fri 06-Jan-12 22:53:09

No suggestions but lots of love. Bless you, and may you keep strong at the celebration of your baby. He will be forever young.
xxx

Ispywith Tue 10-Jan-12 23:29:47

Charlene soraia where ever you may go - beautiful song xxxxx

imisssleepandwine Mon 06-Feb-12 23:45:37

arms of an angel by sarah mclachlan

or

in the lords arms by ben harper

I am so sorry for your loss...

imisssleepandwine Mon 06-Feb-12 23:49:10

very sorry i just noticed the date on this tread. I hope you found the perfect song for your little boy... i wish you strength and love

AngelGeorgie Mon 06-Feb-12 23:50:42

So sorry xxx
My darling beautiful daughter , Georgie, was stillborn at 41 weeks on 10/10/10. At her cremation we had " somewhere over the rainbow" by Eva Cassidy & "Somewhere" from Les Mis. Both still make me incredibly sad , particularly when I m caught off guard & hear them randomly.
Take care xxxxx

PrincessPrecious Tue 07-Feb-12 00:07:32

Am so sorry for your loss. All really good suggestions on here, can't think of anything else. Thinking of you. God bless you and your little angel baby.

so sorry for you.
i have been there OP. its the hardest time you ever have to live through.
i had
you raise me up
amazing grace

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now