3 month old unsettled at night

(5 Posts)
flannelfish Thu 04-Mar-10 09:49:47

My 3 month old DD has been gone a bit funny in the last couple of weeks. She's never slept through and has always been unsettled in early hours of morning but now she's taken things to new levels. She used to be awake all evening (not necessarily feeding, just awake) but would settle at around 10pm and sleep for 5 or 6 hours, then settle easily after a feed (BF) for another couple of hours. She would then be difficult to get down again so would often get in to bed with me. That was fine - I could cope with that.

In the last couple of weeks I've been trying to get her down in the evenings and did have some success at first but this week, when it comes to feeding her at bedtime she will suck a bit then cry and won't really feed. If she doesn't want to feed, she won't so difficult to get her to feed at a fixed time. I think she's too tired so she'll then have a sleep and will have to wait before I can get a feed down her. Trouble is then she might only go to sleep for 2-3 hours then after that be really unsettled and wake every 45 mins or so. Not particularly hungry. I do tend to give in by about 5am and take her in to bed. But even then she'll sleep better but still wake after an hour or so. I don't like having her in bed with us because I don't sleep very well and don't want her to get used to it (maybe she already is). Letting her cry really isn't an option as my 2 year old is a light sleeper and wakes really easily. Having a tired toddler around in the day makes everything worse.

This may have all started when she had a bad cough. She seems ok now. She's quite trumpy so could it be wind at this time? During the day she is all smiles and doesn't cry much at all so just don't know what's going on at night? She was particularly bad last night after 2nd lot of jabs - is that normal? Any advice - I'm going a bit crazy? I'm sure everything will sort itself out eventually - just difficult to see at the mo.

Sorry that was so long but good to get it off my chest.

MimsyStarr Thu 04-Mar-10 14:10:49

Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time. What sort of times is she sleeping in the afternoon?

flannelfish Thu 04-Mar-10 15:21:22

Variable. Depends what we're doing. She's just managed a whole 45 minutes in her cot but expect she will have another sleep around 5pm when we pick up DS from nursery. Hoping this will help with bedtime feed.

Yesterday she slept from around 2.30 till 4.30 but as I said she had her jabs so may have been out of sorts last night (that's what I'm hoping and tonight she'll be better!).

Don't know if this helps, but I also have a three month old whose sleep routine went off a couple of weeks ago. She has had a cough and a cold too so I put it down to that and the fact that I had just established a set 7.30pm bedtime - bit different from the going to bed with us around 11pm and crossing fingers that she would go to sleep, which we had done up until then.

Anyway what I did was swaddle her. I know it seems a bit late to start but it's really helped and she's gone back to sleeping for longer periods. I think she was semi-waking with her coughing and sneezing and her arms flailing about then woke her up completely and she got into a bit of a habit with it.

She's not having second injections for another couple of weeks so not sure how that will affect her hmm

MimsyStarr Thu 04-Mar-10 22:07:06

We also did swaddling and I think this helped a lot. The late afternoon sleep helps too I think.
Hope you have a better night tonight = fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now