9m old forgotten how to suck thumb!

(7 Posts)
thomasina1 Fri 21-Aug-09 19:59:02

Not sure there is much that can be done here, but just wondered if anyone had had a similar experience.
DD was a prolific thumb-sucker since 3 months, was sucking it all day long, during meals, etc. She had this very cute self-soothing thing where she sucked thumb and rubbed her hair with the other hand which was brilliant - she was an excellent sleeper and I think this was partly why.

Just realised that I haven't noticed her do it in the past few days and cooincidentally suddenly her sleep is a disaster and I am having to feed her to sleep (not a fan of crying!).

Any ideas???

imaginewittynamehere Fri 21-Aug-09 20:18:10

teeth??- dd2 "forgot" as her first 2 came through & had to almost relearn as I think it changed the experience somewhat!
Her sleep was also dodgy for 3-4 days as she relies on the thumb for self-soothing All back to normal now though

thomasina1 Fri 21-Aug-09 20:31:11

phew, that is reassuring to hear, thanks for the quick reply. I really hope my dd goes back to it like your dd did. Could well be teeth as first 2 came through in last few weeks. I didn't think so as I haven't seen her even attempt it. I really hope this phase doesn't last long!

I assume there wasn't anything you did (or could do!) to encourage her to relearn the habit?

imaginewittynamehere Mon 24-Aug-09 16:49:11

Thomasina, sadly no there isn't anything special I did, just let her get on with it. Hope things are improving for you now?

thomasina1 Tue 25-Aug-09 21:54:16

Hmmm still not going great, she hasn't yet remembered how to suck her thumb so it seems. So she is unable to settle herself, not helped by the recent onset of separation anxiety I think. Still, we are getting by with a combination of feeding-to-sleep, cuddling, rocking, etc. and just really hoping this is just a phase! Been over a week now though...

utari Thu 01-Oct-09 14:00:42

Hi, I am having the same problem with my daughter, who is 5 months old. It seems that she has forgotten to suck her thumb because she has runny nose since last week. Now, even though her nose is clear, she doesn't want to suck her thumb anymore. It looks like that she tries, but she couldn't do it. She forget how to do it. I tried to help her, but fail to do so. She really depend on the thumb sucking to help her to sleep, but now I have to rock her or feed her. Even then, if I put her down she is awake and I have to do it all over again. Sleeping was not a problem before. I just put her on her crib, then she would suck her thumb and sleep. But now, it is so hard to get her to sleep.

I don't know if she is ever be back to her habit and how to help her to do it again.

How is your daughter? Is everything back to normal now. I feel for you since I am having the same problem and I know that it is frustrating. Hope she is back to normal by now. Please share anything that you do to go through this problem. Thanks a lot.

lazurm65 Sat 30-Jul-16 19:23:06

Maybe she's trying to stop and doesn't want to tell anyone. How much have you talked to her about it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now