DD has two imaginary friends: Alex who goes to school and waters plants and the elephant who has no name but eats gravel

(38 Posts)
ShowOfHands Tue 16-Jun-09 10:40:40

I was not prepared for this. I thought we had a couple of years grace before I had to start taking an extra banana with us for the elephant that lives in the bloody apple tree.

Alex, who is at school atm gets very tired and needs to go out for a walk after dinner. I have to hold his hand fgs.

How far do I allow this to go? I had to prevent dh from sitting on Alex this morning and put out an extra chair at the table.

Is Alex staying around for long? Somebody tell me that imaginary friends go off to boarding school eventually.

I'm just glad the elephant's too big to fit through the door.

snigger Sat 20-Jun-09 22:12:45

DD1 had Sulia Julia, an orange-faced moralist, and Meeta Hulee Meatlock, her boyfriend.

DD2 had Granny Moses, who hated her and threatened to lock her in the attic hmm

TinyPawz Sat 20-Jun-09 22:38:43

I had a friend when I was a child called Lisa. We did everything together or so my mother told me.

Just months before I was born, my mums cousin Lisa died. My mum was petrified to ask me what my 'Lisa' looked like.....

Story still gets told to all and sundry

AnarchyAunt Sat 20-Jun-09 22:41:01

DD had an imaginary friend called Skobsker (sp?) from when she was about 3. He had birthdays at least once a week and often got younger hmm

Then one day 'he died'.

Now she has an imaginary collie puppy called Jess.

Saltire Sat 20-Jun-09 23:11:52

My neice has an imaginary pet dog. Its black with green feethmm. I'm not posting it's name because the whole town where they live know about this dog. However, when Dneice goes into fridge and eats something she blames the "dog". She pooed on the floor once and blamed the "dog" "That x has shit again" she said to her dad when he found it.
Another time she tipped out all her toys into bedroom floor - "that bloody dog he wanted my dolly".
I don't knw what worries me more - the imaginary dog or the swearing!

Saltire Sat 20-Jun-09 23:15:20

However, we actually have an invisible person in out house as well. he's called Nobody.and poor soul he gets blamed for everyhting.
"who put sweet wrappers down the side of the sofa"
"nobody"
or
"who went out and left the tv switched on?"
Ds1 "it wasn't me"
DS2 "It wasn't me"
Me "well who was it then? Nobody"
DSes "must have been him"

toddlerama Sat 20-Jun-09 23:51:14

Does no-one else think it's a bit, well, creepy? I'll be scared if my DD's start chatting to people I can't see! Is it just something they all go through?

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 21-Jun-09 07:32:52

Its not creepy. Its actually a pretty common developmental stage.

totalmisfit Sun 21-Jun-09 08:50:44

dd had Joni and Johnny. i used to wonder if they were folk/country singers sometimes.... Joni was always coming round for parties and Johnny's presence was always threatened 'he's outside... he's coming in now...' slightly creepy at times, esp if it was just the 2 of us in the house. Also, she used to have unintelligable conversations with a specific lampost down our road. i kind of miss the weirdness now she's 3.3.

worley Sun 21-Jun-09 09:03:30

when we were little my older cousin (40 in aug!) used to have a friend who lived in the bathroom, my cousin would spend hours sitting on the loo and talking to her. my auntie and mum used to stand at the door and listen to the "conversations". lol
neither of my two have had imaginary friends but funnily enough we did watch drop dead fred yesterday. love rik mayall

Servalan Sun 21-Jun-09 10:36:28

No imaginary friends in our house. I'm kinda envious - they sound fab grin

MrsGJB Sun 21-Jun-09 10:47:33

DD1 used to have two imaginary friends - Mr. Dorchar and Mr Bollocks (who she introduced very clearly to the local vicar!!!).

toolly Tue 23-Jun-09 20:46:52

For posterity.
DD age 3 has three friends of indetermintate gender, Mannah, Sugar and Foxy. My sister thinks they are brilliant names for strippers. DS has five, Mornay, Aki, Shola, Dee Dee and Maxi. I really don't know where he heard the names from.

junkcollector Tue 23-Jun-09 23:28:33

I had 2 when I was little- Dingly and Duddy. They wore striped jumpers and came everywhere with me and I bossed them around quite a bit I remember. Duddy died (Not sure how ) and Dingly left home when my sister was born......He could still be out there somewhere, wandering, in his little stripy jumper...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now