Childproofing Electric Socket Area??

(13 Posts)
extremelychocolateymilkroll Sat 03-Jan-09 11:09:09

Is there a cage or something like that to stop my dd from going near plugs? I've got the plastic things for when the socket is not in use but how do you keep your lo away when something is plugged in or do I just accept that I can't use half the sockets in our flat? TIA

MarmadukeScarlet Sat 03-Jan-09 11:12:42

I have a socket cover which came from the bargain bin in Boots 3-4 yrs ago. It screws in behind the backplate and has a flp that closes over the pugs, it locks down but nees a plastic 'key' to unlock it.

My DS has SN, which included an obsession with all electrical items and he was very destructive, twice exposing live parts on plugged in objects.

We got one for his room but I wouldn't have considered it for my NT offspring tbh.

TheLadyEvenstar Sat 03-Jan-09 11:23:20

I have never used them, i just move ds2 like i did ds1. They soon get bored lol

Marma, not knocking you the situation is different with our dc's. I understant that with sn children and adults you have to do things differently!

extremelychocolateymilkroll Sat 03-Jan-09 11:25:13

Thanks for your replies. DD is 16 months old and likes to try and pull the plugs out. She is at the age when if I say "no" her eyes light up with the challenge of doing it again straightaway and am worried that she will pull a plug out.

TheLadyEvenstar Sat 03-Jan-09 11:27:48

extremely, i would just say no firmly and move her away until she gets the message...it will get through eventually! Its just a phase!

extremelychocolateymilkroll Sat 03-Jan-09 11:29:18

Thanks LadyEvenstar. Eventually...

TheLadyEvenstar Sat 03-Jan-09 11:31:36

extremely lmao YVW

I say it laughing but i have a 10yr old ds and a 15m old ds and ds1 can be harder than ds2 to deal with!

MarmadukeScarlet Sat 03-Jan-09 11:32:28

No disclaimer needed Evenstar, didn't have even the usual run of the mill plug in ones for my first born. smile or stairgates, or cupboard locks...<sighs whistfully after her 'old' life>

TheLadyEvenstar Sat 03-Jan-09 11:42:13

Marma, I didn't for my first born but need gate with ds2 as he is into everything!!! or maybe I am just older and see more!

ummadam Sat 03-Jan-09 14:44:53

we've got one on the computer and fridge (ie disaster if pulled) but use the stern 'no' for all the others.

ummadam Sat 03-Jan-09 14:46:18

ps these are the ones we have although didn't cost that much when we got them so might be worth a search

extremelychocolateymilkroll Sun 04-Jan-09 17:54:35

Thanks so much ummadam - just what I was looking for.

FatallyFlawed Tue 05-Jul-16 15:08:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now