15 month old avoiding eye contact

(3 Posts)
Again Tue 30-Sep-08 15:33:11

My 15 month old looks away most of the time when I am looking at him. I don't think I am very good at eye contact. I'm wondering if this has affected him or if it's a normal developmental thing? It's just that sometimes he can really stare at people as well. So I don't know what to make of it. I recently went back to work and I worry that he has lost trust in me.

meandmyjoe Tue 30-Sep-08 15:59:23

I really don't think it will be a trust issue smile

You are his mummy and presumably have been there everyday since he was born, feeding him, cuddling him, comforting him, he will know how much you love him.

My ds is nearly 14 months and is the same in many ways. He CAN make eye contact but not for any length of time. Also when he does look at me, it's usually at my mouth as I'm talking to him, rather than in my eyes. I assume he is just learning language and watching what my mouth is doing. He is far too busy and nosey to just look at me for more than a second. I'm not too worried as he points, babbles, squeals, smiles at me, laughs and waves (when it suits him) so I assume everything's fine.

Does he interact OK, eg babble, talk, point etc?

If so then I wouldn't worry.

Again Tue 30-Sep-08 21:51:09

Thanks meandmyjoe. He does babble and points. Has a few half words but hasn't been getting many more recently. He loves to be around other people

Recently I've been sneaking out to work and so feel I'm avoiding him in case he gets upset.

I left the room this evening when some other people who know him were there. He howled and they were all shocked. I said that he's been doing that recently and one of them asked if said goodbye when I left for work and explained where I was going. I used to but don't anymore. She said I should give him something important to me to mind til I get home. I have felt uncomfortable about the sneaking around so this plan makes sense to me.

Also, should point out that he has been putting his hands over his ears a bit when it's noisy. Is this a problem? Thought I was relaxing a bit, but looks like this parenthood thing is going to be a challenge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now