First shoes?

(32 Posts)
HeadFairy Tue 12-Aug-08 14:40:30

My ds is starting to walk, just a few steps at the moment but it won't be long.... it got me thinking I should buy him some shoes. I'm happy for him to be barefoot at home as it's easier for him to learn to walk like that but if we go out and he wants to walk in the park for example, with all the rain we're having he can't really go barefoot and his little suede softies don't really support his feet enough. Do I have to take him to a shoe shop to be fitted for his first shoes? Is that how it works? Or does it not matter at this stage?

fellerbaw Mon 08-Apr-13 13:35:29

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

GigiJones Wed 06-Feb-13 15:48:45

Hey AndMiffyWentToSleep and everyone else.

there's some very interesting comment in here.

I find that having to go to the shop is quite painful as DD wants to run around, we have to wait for a staff to be available and indeed, Clarks are expensive.

I've found Zulily recently, I don't know if any of you have used it and was hoping someone could tell me if it's trustable quality or not?

I was hoping (expecting?), since I'm a young mother who's worked in internet companies, that someone would find a way that I could measure my DD's feet on my own at home and just order online, what do you think, does this makes sense?

Thanks smile

Gigi

AndMiffyWentToSleep Wed 21-Nov-12 03:12:56

I didn't know Clarks' staff worked on commission!

Where would people recommend buying shoes, if not there?

LDNmummy Wed 21-Nov-12 02:21:41

CBH you are absolutely right.

I was given ill fitting shoe's throughout childhood because of the old 'grow into them' mentality. I had to have surgery on my feet as a teenager and will have to have more operations throughout my life. I have my second operation coming up next year in fact.

This is all because of ill fitting shoes in childhood. I always cringe when I see little girls with even the slightest hint of a heel that looks like it pushes their feet forward into the front of their shoe's.

I didn't know harm could be caused by ill fitting socks though, I will definitely be looking into that!

My parent's used to buy my shoe's from Clarks too.

Cbh1978 Tue 20-Nov-12 22:02:11

Hi everyone, I was reading this thread and felt I had to comment, so have joined!
I used to work in a decent shoe shop which turned away lots of parents who were eager to buy shoes for their children too soon.
Remember, your young children do not have bones in their feet. The bones are cartilage until they are 16/18, and very mouldable. Even ill-fitting socks can damage a baby's feet.
A baby should be walking confidently around the house, without using its toes to grip when walking, and with some flexion in the foot before you even consider buying shoes. Usually five or six weeks from first independent steps.
This includes so-called 'cruiser' shoes.
Beware of Clarks. I was shocked when they tried to sell me cruisers for my justabout cruising baby. They work to targets and are on commission. Although they seemingly didn't seem desperate to sell Calsworld some shoes, the fact that they didn't take off the child's shoes is pretty poor.
We only get one pair of feet. Take care of them and always get shoes properly fitted.
My brother was given ill-fitting shoes when a teenager. Just one pair, and he still has problems with his feet. Not wishing to scare, but please take care!

gourd Wed 01-Feb-12 14:02:40

Reading this thread with interest, as everything I've read says not to buy real shoes till they are confidently walking on their own but our almost 17MO isn’t confidently walking on her own, and yet she likes to walk outside with me holding one hand and I think her soft suede soled slipper things are not up to the job, especially on the gravel bridlepath which is also very muddy. She walks 2-4 steps by herself before reaching out for a hand or something to hold onto. She wont walk by herself more than 2-4 steps even indoors and yet she feels to be balanced etc when I have her hand, she isn’t leaning on me or anything. I think it’s a confidence thing but I could be wrong. She will walk a few steps to reach a favourite doll, but as soon as she notices she’s not holding onto something, she either sits down immediately, or reaches out to grab hold of my hand or the furniture. Does this mean she is ready for shoes or not? She wants to walk outside and be at the height of the farm animals and not in the back carrier all the time when we are out walking, but I’m always a bit reluctant to let her as she’s still in suede soled slippers. Is it OK to buy her some real shoes now, or is it best to let her walk in the suede soles on gravel etc (it won't hurt her feet?) even though it will obviously destroy the slippers pretty quickly?

monkoray Sun 31-Oct-10 21:00:53

does anyone know what damage it would actually do to a child's feet to use trainers rather than clarks. My DS's feet are growing so fast he's already grown out of his first clarks walkers that i bought 2 weeks ago. I really can't afford £30 every fortnight. We have a Nike outlet store near us and they do trainers for £10 which seem to fit really well and my DS walks better in them than the clarks, but i'm worried i might be damaging his feet for the future.

BambiBaby Tue 12-Aug-08 23:45:44

The highstreet store in Street is Crockers Lizzzombie, and I agree with you about the outlet store. The staff seem to be mainly surly teenagers, but the shoes have such big discounts, it's worth it.

HeadFairy Tue 12-Aug-08 16:51:44

aw bless calsworld. Ds is the same, he gets all panicky if I don't slip his teeshirt on in one swift move.

Lizzzombie Tue 12-Aug-08 16:50:03

I think Street, is most definately on the way back to the midlands from Cornwall! There is one massive clarkes outlet shop in the shopping village, and one full priced one. Then on Street high st, (which you can walk through to from the shopping village) there is another outlet shop which has tons of clarkes shoes, its called Crocs, I think. Or Croclets, or something like that.
There is a FAB Next sale shop there too. I got t-shirts for £2 and dresses for £5!!! There is an adventure playground place for the kids. But, the food places in there are gross and overpriced. Enjoy your shopping trip!

calsworld Tue 12-Aug-08 16:40:44

I put my DS in Clarkes cruising shoes when he was quite small as he was at nursery and crawling round outside alot and the soft shoes he had just weren't up to it. He ended up staying in them for ages, even though we kept going back to get them checked, they just said, yep, they still fit. Was beginning to wonder if DS had some sort of growth problem (we're talking three months here!) when the girl actually took his shoes off, rather than just check the fit and measured his feet. His feet had grown, albeit slowly but because shoes were well worn in the shoes just stretched with his feet!

I deliberately chose velcro shoes for him as he loves to practice taking them off, and is now trying to put them on again, and see this as part of learning skills.

Totally OT, I can't wait till he can put his own t-shirts on so that we don't have a panic if he doesn't IMMEDIATELY get his arm into the sleeve hmm smile.

Lizzzombie could Street be considered to be 'on the way' back (to Midlands) from Cornwall, do you think? If so I think I may have a cunning plan for re-shoeing DC on the way home from hols (a few days after most schools go back as wekl, so hopefully it wouldn't be too crowded)

HeadFairy Tue 12-Aug-08 16:19:26

A bit far for me Lizzzombie, but I'll have a look out for sales nearer. I do have a Clarks shop in my road, but I haven't ever looked in there, silly really.

Lizzzombie Tue 12-Aug-08 16:17:38

Clarkes outlet store in Street, Somerset is fab. Literally half price & millions to choose from... But none in 5E, my ds's size!

Jones have a huge 70% sale on atm, and their doodles and startrite doodle styles are bout £7!

HeadFairy Tue 12-Aug-08 16:13:14

Now that's a good idea stealth, I'm sure ds won't be too precious about wearing this years' shoes! I'll have to take a trip to Bicester.

That reminds me - don't get velcro ones if you can possibly help it - lace-ups ideal, or buckles - the harder for LO to undo the better.

Look for sales as well - I think all DD's shoes so far have been bought in sales smile.

If you have other reasons to go there then there are also Clarks outlet shops in some outlet centres (Swindon, for example) - under 5's don't tend to care too much if their shoes are last season's style, thank goodness.

HeadFairy Tue 12-Aug-08 16:00:54

Thanks for that Kazza. I'm slightly dreading the financial outlay I'm going to have to provide for shoes, but it's got to be done. I can feel a shopping trip coming on (after payday!)

KazzaL Tue 12-Aug-08 15:57:08

My mum always made me & my sister wear Clarks shoes through school and we both have really straight feet & toes now with no bunions & corns etc, so I always vowed that my kids woudl be subjected to the same.

I got DS1 his first shoes at the end of jan when he was 9mths as he was struggling to crawl on our hardwood floors and kept slipping - Clarks do crawlers, cruisers and then walkers. Also i hoped it would help keep his socks on whenever we were out as he would find shoes harder to take off than the softies he had (no such luck he quickly worked out the velcro straps)

Although he could stand up he was nowhere near to crusing even as he could barely crawl and so we got the crawlers which have soft bottoms and sides with grippy bits on the fronts.

I've only just had to buy him a new pair last weekend as despite taking him religiously every 4 weeks for a refit his feet hadn't grown and so although he's been walking for a couple of months now, he's been in crawlers all this time and so has missed out cruisers and is now in walkers.

Again he tends to slip over easily on our hardwood floors if he is just wearing socks, which with this weather he needs to be, so he does wear his shoes quite a lot. But I do try to make sure he doesn't wear his shoes unless he needs to.

Another point to consider is that their feet get wider as they start walking, DS went from a F to a G fitting, so it may be worth waiting till your DS is walking a bit better

We've just bought DS wellies for when it's wet - he loves walking in them...

Finally sort out an overdraft before heading to Clarks - you'll need it wink

MummyAnnabella Tue 12-Aug-08 15:43:26

i got ds his forst shoes on sat from clarkes. they are cruisers as he isnt doing more than one or two steps and a lot of cruising.

he was properly measured and the shoes (cruisers) are so cute. they were £20 and i know i didnt have to get them but i too liked the ides that he can stand up in the garden etc even when wet. plus girl said they last 6/8 weeks and he can still wear when proper walking so long as they still fit.

in my opinion they are lighter than proper first shoes and so it is nice to get ds used to them on his feet before heavier proper first shoes.

HeadFairy Tue 12-Aug-08 15:42:37

oops I got that link wrong..

here it is again

The pre-walking shoes are like the ones my DC had to start with, and they were both walking pretty well (and wanting to walk outside) before I got them shoes at all.

HeadFairy Tue 12-Aug-08 15:32:24

Looking on the clarks website, are their (can't link it as it's a flash site) pre-walking shoes cruising shoes? They look a bit sturdier than the ones I was thinking of [[ http://www.inch-blue.com/uk/product/starry-navy-baby-blue like these]]

Lizzzombie Tue 12-Aug-08 15:25:44

Basically its important not to give them shoes which are too hard when they first start walking. The soles should be fully flexible, as their little feet are still growing. I would avoid trainers. DS (18mo) wears trainers now, but started off in clarkes first walkers, then clarkes doodles. I never had them try to sell me anything.

I like the 'cruisers' or whatever they are called - the ones which go in the washing machine grin - they are fine to walk in, IMHO, and I found them tougher than the next range up - DD inherited DS's and they still look good as new after 2 lots of use (disclaimer - I did take DD and DS's old shoes to the (really good) shoe shop and get them to check the fit and they said they were absolutely fine)

HeadFairy Tue 12-Aug-08 15:23:20

Thanks for that, I'll have a look on the clarks website. Considering how quickly ds has gone from crusing to first steps to several steps in a row there's no way we'll need cruising shoes. He'll be out of them in a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now