DELAYED WALKING

(58 Posts)
emab Sat 19-Jan-08 22:22:50

MY 2 YEAR OLD SON IS STILL OT WALKING OR WEIGHT BEARING, HE HAS BEEN SEEN BY CONSULTANTS WHO HAVE FOUND NO CAUSE FOR THIS, IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS, CAN ANYONE GIVE ME AN ADVICE, THANKYOU

yomellamoHelly Thu 04-Mar-10 06:49:09

My first ds walked 6 weeks shy of his 2nd birthday. Always v behind on the curve developmentally. Aged 6 he is fine - still behind emotionally I think.
Thought ds2 (now 3 1/4) was same. Was always SO chilled, laid back and happy. At 3 he doesn't walk either and needs a lot of support to weight-bear. We were told at 18 months he has cerebal palsy.
In your situation I think I'd be looking for a second opinion on the physio front privately. Our experience has been that the NHS service lacks decent therapists with relevant experience who will come off the fence and tell us where ds2 is struggling and what, if anything, we can do about it. Wouldn't be without the help we found - though obviously everyone is different.

yomellamoHelly Thu 04-Mar-10 06:52:07

Oops - Just seen how long this thread has been going! Tis the time of day! Sorry

marj8 Thu 04-Mar-10 10:08:42

yomellamohelly, how did they diagnose your ds2 with CP? That is what I think may be the issue with my son, have repeatedly asked physios and consultants but no one willing to commit. He had heart op at 2 months old and is still very underweight so that may also be contributing to developmental delay. Am going to go down route of getting prviate physio tho as don't think seeing an NHS physio once a week every 3 weeks is enough.

ilovesprouts Thu 04-Mar-10 10:11:58

hi my ds2 whos now 3 walked at 2.6 but has gdd ,now hes all over the place

mintyfresh Thu 04-Mar-10 20:30:05

marj8 - from our experience, CP is usually diagnosed following an MRI scan and obvious signs that muscles have been affected by brain injury. However, not all variations of 'normal' muscle tone lead to CP i.e. it is possible to have low tone and not have CP iyswim. It has to affect motor milestones fairly significantly before they diagnose and more often than not, they will be cautious as some children may just be delayed.

Beckstarbee Thu 06-Sep-12 21:24:45

For those of you out there who are stressed about a late walker... I have so been there, but just yesterday my beautiful 23 month old girl stood up and started walking quite well!! She was late at everything but excelled in her fine motor skills and talking too. We took her to physio starting at 13 months and right after that she started to bum scoot. At around 18 months, she all of a sudden started crawling and climbing stairs and also learned to pull herself up to a sitting and standing position. She took her first steps at 21 months and then for some reason decided to stop progressing and we became quite worried. We took her to a pediatrician at 22 months and were told that she would not walk until well after her first birthday. He was quite discouraging and sent a referral to neurology. Well, the next day, we got video of her walking from one couch to another and we were so thrilled. She's always been very stubborn and gts frusterated easily. At 23 months now, she can do it all. We were amazed when I asked her to walk yesterday and she just stood up and did it! Incredible feeling. I can relate to those of you who have been watching all these 9-11 month olds walking and just so people know, that is considered early, not the norm. People questioned me all the time on whether she was healthy or not and failed to see all the positives with her, like the early talking and fine motor skills she had. I wish we could all just see the beauty in our children instead of comparing them to one another. It really is silly. Children really do things at thier own pace. Don't let anyone tell you different. Your child is unique and special. But on a different note, do what you think is best for your child, if you are concerned, get a referral to a doctor. We are parents, and we know what's best for our children.

MomHopeful Thu 03-Jan-13 18:59:03

Found the message string about late walkers. So glad I did, my daughter (26 mo) was born with a cleft palate (surgery done at 14 mo) and didn't get much tummy time. & is catching up on her speach (when she wants to). She refuses to "traditionally" crawl and bum scoots instead. She finally started "wanting" to walk around on her own (with us following close by) using her walker toy, but that only lasts for a short time until she is tired or bored & she will walk with us helping hold her. She will stand against things like the furniture or toys just fine but doesn't want to stand alone, pull to a stand or walk around the furniture. She is otherwise healthy and very happy and will talk clearly when she chooses to, but that delay is expected due to her CP during her 1st year. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. Also my first 2 kids walked by 1 year and did the "traditional crawl" so I feel I'm having to toss the so called parenting handbook out the window and start fresh.

Annholls Fri 13-Jun-14 15:48:35

Hi there, I know it's been a long time since you posted this but I know a child with exact same issues at 2 yrs old now and no one can say what the cause it. I was just wondering if you got any answers and what your outcome was. Thank you in advanced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now